• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    See my posts above. No other animals have the affection towards human beings or the VITAL DEPENDENCY like cats or dogs nor the linked with human beings provenance and existence. No other animals exist in the civilized world, just for being pets, not giving milk or meat or food or anything else to human, other than mutual love and affection, like dogs and cats. I am seriously stopping this here 'cause i don't think you're unable to understand this, you're just toying with me wink

Demetris.
    Demetris, Demetris, Demetris.

There's a reason why you seem to attract arguments. It's the way you reply, it can sound very belittling and perhaps... a little patronizing. I won't get into an argument here because of that, you certainly know how to bate me and others. Usually I wouldn't care, but when it comes from someone you respect, it's harder to ignore.

I just wish you could turn off the tunnel vision for once! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn, those animals you mention have no natural dependency upon human beings. I see poor stray dogs and cats dying our of hunger in the street, every day. Now try to walk towards that pet snake of the dude and see its reaction towards you, or let it free in the nature (where it BELONGS) and see if it lives or not. I find it very hard to believe that YOU - out of all, is actually disagreeing with this or having difficulties understanding this simple point. I think you're into rather for the sake of discussion.

I understand your point, D.
    I just don't agree. AT all!

I think you idea of "vital dependency" may be a quite anthropocentric.
    With the possible exception of dogs, who HAVE been specifically bred since ages immemorial to rely on man (and even then I wouldn't try and make friends with a wild pack in Brazil or East Africa, where roaming packs of dogs can take excellent care of themselves), animals can cater for themselves without any problem (otherwise they'd be extinct). That these animals -individually- have been taught that if they (re)act a certain way to humans food will come their way, in no way negates their instinct: if that wouldn't work they'd try something else.

The only animals that are indeed "vitally dependent" on humans, are the ones brought up by humans (and nurtured and ...trained! A lot of behaviour IS simply Pavlovian, no matter how much we want our pets to think and talk like little anthropomorphic Disney figures).

And that includes snakes and salamanders.
    Why not?

A pet cat may -or may not- recoil from a stranger approaching it, depending on )amongst other factors) whether it trusts humans or just its own pack (i.e. the owner/family).
    A pet snake would have pretty much the same reaction, though their affection almost exclusively based on familiarity of smell, so anything in any way smelling out of the oridinary would be perceived as possibly threatening.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My dog certainly doesn't seem dependent on us for food when we go out for walks considering the things he kills... you do NOT want to get near him when he's just made a kill. Instinct completely takes over him and he goes into wolf-mode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    With huskies I think this is truest of all.
    Didn't I read somewhere that they were -in some way that now escapes me- still closer to the wolf than any other breed of dog alive?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think much of our attitudes toward animals comes from pure vanity.

A cat is cute; we don't eat them. A cow is dumb and useless as a pet; we eat them. Okay, so it's a very simplistic approach to the argument, but there's truth to it. We're creatures of vanity and we'd much rather see a less-attractive being killed than an attractive one.

I just accept this. I exist, therefore I'm vain. biggrin (And there ain't shit I can do about it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    With huskies I think this is truest of all.
    Didn't I read somewhere that they were -in some way that now escapes me- still closer to the wolf than any other breed of dog alive?

This is true, yeah. I can vouch for it too! His pack instincts are extremely evident at times. Also, huskies are harder to control than most dogs, they certainly have a mind of their own.

Though, in all fairness, I have very little to compare it to. I've only ever had the one dog; Nasa. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote

Not sure I agree.
    Aside from aesthetics (we, as a culture, value cats for their looks and demeanour, that is very true), I think somple practicality may be way more the point than anything else.
    It's very easy to breed cows and have a couple of thousand of 'em.
    Ever tried that with cats?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Not sure I agree.
    Aside from aesthetics (we, as a culture, value cats for their looks and demeanour, that is very true), I think somple practicality may be way more the point than anything else.

True. I certainly don't think vanity is the ONLY reason we kill one animal rather than the other. But it certainly affects the way we perceive the death of an animal. We inherently think physical beauty is something of worth.

But then is it not just as easy to breed horses and kill them for food? Or is there some other factor like cost? I'm assuming a herd of cows is cheaper in pretty much all respects than horses..? (Genuinely asking as I don't know!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote
    Oh and horse is tasty! Horses specially raised for food are not tough. I ate raw meat of horse... it's very expensive... but heavenly yummy. lick

I also ate raw deer meat once. It was tasty but tough.

Raw meat?

RAW?
    uhm

I think we found our vampire, Stavroula...

devil biggrin

We eat some raw meat, but usually of fish (sashimi). Have you ever tried sushi? Real sushi, not the fake ones Americans invented. (Avocado on rice? vomit ) Raw fish on rice, with a bit of soy sause... yum. lick
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BIG fan of sushi, both the proper Japanese variety as I am of the 'Californian Roll' (avocado lick ).
    It's one of the things I'm working on to make myself, bu it's NOT easy!
    Cooking and cleaning the rice is half a day's work already...and I still can't roll for shit. sad (My rolls come out triangular or pentagonical... slant I need more practise, definitely!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    My dog certainly doesn't seem dependent on us for food when we go out for walks considering the things he kills... you do NOT want to get near him when he's just made a kill. Instinct completely takes over him and he goes into wolf-mode.

That's what I call a REAL dog!

I like your dog cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    BIG fan of sushi, both the proper Japanese variety as I am of the 'Californian Roll' (avocado lick ).
    It's one of the things I'm working on to make myself, bu it's NOT easy!
    Cooking and cleaning the rice is half a day's work already...and I still can't roll for shit. sad (My rolls come out triangular or pentagonical... slant I need more practise, definitely!)

And sooooo damn healthy for you.

I love Sushi but I've never attempted making it myself..............yet!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I miss him. I wish I could take him with me to uni! (I miss the cats too.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I miss him. I wish I could take him with me to uni! (I miss the cats too.)

I may have given a misconception about myself here on this board because I really do love dogs too, it's just that I don't have the patience to own one personally, with Gomez I feed him and then he does whatever the feck he wants, not so a dog.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Wow, my MOS Burger post turned into interesting discussion! biggrin I want to write my opinion more, but I'm going to bed soon, so I leave only one or two comments. (I often miss interesting discussions because of time differences and lack of rapid reading/writing skill... slant )

Christodoulides wrote
    See my posts above. No other animals have the affection towards human beings or the VITAL DEPENDENCY like cats or dogs nor the linked with human beings provenance and existence. No other animals exist in the civilized world, just for being pets, not giving milk or meat or food or anything else to human, other than mutual love and affection, like dogs and cats. I am seriously stopping this here 'cause i don't think you're unable to understand this, you're just toying with me wink

I understand what you mean, even though not agree. It's interesting that you consider historical backgrounds of dogs and cats. I'll give my opinion about it tomorrow or later. smile

Christodoulides wrote
    Mind you, i am against eating horses as well. As for being bred somewhere specifically for consumption, allow me to have strong doubts about this, given the overall circumstances that are valid in these countries. People who tie their daughter's feet in painfully tiny shoes to constrain their feet's size as they grow older, or get their little son married to a dog 'cause he had the misfortune of having a slightly displaced new tooth, are not having any restrains as to kill one's pet or a stray poor dog or cat, i can assure you.

As for the rest of the animals who are being bred for consumption, they have nothing to do with cats or dogs.

Just to clarify. The tiny shoes thing is an old, abolished custom of China. I don't know about marriage to a dog (!? shocked ) stuff. But this kind of horrible customs toward humans existed in many countries in the past, I believe. I'm against those customs. Whatever cultural background those customs have, they should be abolished if still exist in any countries today.

I'm also against killing/abusing other animals without reasonable purposes. But killing animals for food/clothes/control/defence etc. is not wrong, from my point of view.

But those two points (inhumane acts toward humans and other animals) are different issues from "eating pets or not" issue, in my opinion.

Ok it's time to go to bed... wave sorry if my English writing is not understandable.
    But it's great that here we have a place to discuss this kind of issues in a friendly way. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just a quick meta-point:

Miya wrote
    sorry if my English writing is not understandable.

Miya, I have had to deal with several Japanese people in different capacities: socially as well as in a business context. While using English in a business context wasn't usually all that bad (though still ennerving), in a social context we often had to finally revert in exasperation to pointing to things and making sounds and wild gestures to communicate (more or less).

From these experiences, my impression (and I do not mean any disrespect here) is that the Japanese simply aren't very interested in other cultures and languages and seldom take the effort to step outisde of Nippon-defined boundaries.

Your English is a complete and utter shock to that impression.
    You understand and express the nuances and intricacies of English better than ANY Japanese I have met.

Here's to you beer, and please don't worry any more about your linguistic skills.
    They're absolutely, positively and irrefutably fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    And one more thing... most of horse meat consumed in Japan are imported from Australia. Look how low our food self-sufficiency is rolleyes

Now I sleep! wave sleep

Edit: Thanks for your kind comment Martijn! kiss

Ok I sleep. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Not sure I agree.

True. I certainly don't think vanity is the ONLY reason we kill one animal rather than the other. But it certainly affects the way we perceive the death of an animal. We inherently think physical beauty is something of worth.

But then is it not just as easy to breed horses and kill them for food? Or is there some other factor like cost? I'm assuming a herd of cows is cheaper in pretty much all respects than horses..? (Genuinely asking as I don't know!)

Have you ever thought that all the animals we kill and eat NORMALLY are eating only grass and synthetic food which not meat-based? There's a reason men don't USUALLY eat other men or animals who eat meat.

I never thought i'd have to try so hard to defend the notion against anyone who kills and eats pets in a western, mostly European-based forum. And i never thought it would actually be SO HARD to understand the difference between killing animals to feed / clothe / whatever, and killing PETS. I am disappointed really, i have no will to discuss this even more, my points are clear-cut and are there, i have nothing to add.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I never thought i'd have to try so hard to defend the notion against anyone who kills and eats pets in a western, mostly European-based forum. And i never thought it would actually be SO HARD to understand the difference between killing animals to feed / clothe / whatever, and killing PETS. I am disappointed really, i have no will to discuss this even more, my points are clear-cut and are there, i have nothing to add.

Fair enough, but NOBODY on this forum has advocated killing pets. People are talking about breeding animals for consumption, NOT about eating pets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pigs will eat anything, as will goats.
    Many edible fish are canibals.

But that's neither here nor there.
    The thing you still don't seem to distill from Miya, Steven and myself is that what YOU call a pet, is just food to someone who doesn't give tuppence for you or your culture's pet. I won't eat your cat. I won't eat ANYONE's cat.
    But it's not about ME.
    It's about someone who DOESN'T call your pet a pet.

So I'm not sure what exactly it is you think you are having to defend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't care if a culture dictates so, what's so hard to understand? There HAVE to be certain limits to what people do, for many reasons i explained before, (what about the meat-eating argument?) and i won't accept anyone who eats cats or dogs. As simple as that, i have nothing to say so. And for anyone looking to call me a racist bastard, i am not, but if it suits you, fine; at this topic here, i might be. The day i'll start respecting such shit, i will also go by the Indian bouncing new-born babes and having 8 wives and beating them all up, all day long.

Steven, i know your feelings towards some of my arguments my friend. I never said the way i express them is the best or the most "refined", but if you respect me as you say you do (and to which i haven't got the slightest of doubts), you'll also accept me how i am.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have no idea what you're getting so riled up about.
    There's no culture in the world that eats their pets.

However there are some (very few) that do eat animals we in the west elect to keep as pets. But surely that we choose to do so is not their problem?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I getcha.

But I'm just not clear what D. is getting so worked up about?
    I honestly don't understand.
    I'm the LAST person on this earth to propagate that postmodern misconcept of "cultural perspective", but this -to my mind- is hardly an issue of life and death or moral values. Just a simple given?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, just accept i can't agree with your logic of dividing dogs and cats via "it's not ok to eat it if it's D's pet but ok to kill, cook and eat the poor stray cat or dog". I just don't accept that, nor the one who does nor his culture. They can stay the fudge away from me. So, onto the next subject, i have nothing more to add.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn, just accept i can't agree with your logic of dividing dogs and cats via "it's not ok to eat it if it's D's pet but ok to kill, cook and eat the poor stray cat or dog". I just don't accept that, nor the one who does nor his culture. They can stay the fudge away from me. So, onto the next subject, i have nothing more to add.

If you read Martijn's post clearly he says it all right there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would accept that if you paraphrased me correctly:

"It's not ok [in this culture] to eat it if it's D's pet but [there are some cultures, of which I am not a part, that appear to find it] ok to kill, cook and eat [a] cat or dog [as they do not consider them pets but the same as we consider goats, pigs, cows, kangaroos, ostriches or horses]"

If you disagree with that, that's fine with me, but basically you would simply choose to ignore a statement of fact. Not an opinion or moral value.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm gonna have some nice spirelli in a few minutes ... mmm , it's almost ready ... lick
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    I would accept that if you paraphrased me correctly:

"It's not ok [in this culture] to eat it if it's D's pet but [there are some cultures, of which I am not a part, that appear to find it] ok to kill, cook and eat [a] cat or dog [as they do not consider them pets but the same as we consider goats, pigs, cows, kangaroos, ostriches or horses]"

If you disagree with that, that's fine with me, but basically you would simply choose to ignore a statement of fact. Not an opinion or moral value.

Blaming ignorance on the other, is the easy moral way out when you don't accept or don't understand another's point of view or find his / her views too radical. It's just being cooked out a bit too frequently in our days.

I didn't called anyone ignorant, i called it (not directly, but still) barbaric, unethical and something which irritates me greatly. As simple as that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I like horse meat, it's very tasty when prepared well (by my father that is). I also once ate kangaroo, which was rather disappointing. Dog was quite ok in China,tough very very though. And that's about the most exotic I've eaten.

Can I eat cat when we have our first far-east maintitles meeting D? You are invited. tongue wink
    Kazoo