• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    I'm completely lost at sea now.
    Who is calling who ignorant? confused

I'm perfectly happy for you to consider the eating of dogs (which we in our culture may keep as pets) immoral, barbaric and evil and the eating of snakes (which we in our culture may keep as pets) acceptable.
    I happen not to agree with your opinion (which, a the record will show, you have indeed given as nothing but your opinion!), and that is fine too. To me it's simply not that big of a deal.

But I'm not entirely sure what ignorance has to do with anything?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I didn't called anyone ignorant, i called it (not directly, but still) barbaric, unethical and something which irritates me greatly. As simple as that.

It's ironic that this discussion stemmed out of me throwing away a Jeremy Clarkson-style quip about vegetarians yesterday which led to lots of people saying how stupid vegetarians are. What would you make of a vegetarian coming on here and telling you that you're barbaric and unethical for eating cows or pigs?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    I like horse meat, it's very tasty when prepared well (by my father that is). I also once ate kangaroo, which was rather disappointing. Dog was quite ok in China,tough very very though. And that's about the most exotic I've eaten.

Can I eat cat when we have our first far-east maintitles meeting D? You are invited. tongue wink

And a whole similar argument right here. In this country people LOVE Horses and don't eat them.

Bregt, you'd have to pay me ONE HELLUVA LOT OF MONEY to even contimplate eating cat or dog.

EDITED TO ADD :- ( i meant to press 'quote' )

The cats and dogs are killed in abject terror by boiling and such, apparently the flush of adrenaline makes them taste better.

So though I love travel and would love to visit China and have a personal mantra of 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' it's obvious I don't quite follow that mantra in the stictest sense.

However, if we crashed in the high Andes I'll not think twice about eating Bregt if my survival depends on it. lick wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I like horse meat, it's very tasty when prepared well (by my father that is). I also once ate kangaroo, which was rather disappointing. Dog was quite ok in China,tough very very though. And that's about the most exotic I've eaten.

Can I eat cat when we have our first far-east maintitles meeting D? You are invited. tongue wink

And a whole similar argument right here. In this country people LOVE Horses and don't eat them.

Bregt, you'd have to pay me ONE HELLUVA LOT OF MONEY to even contimplate eating cat or dog.

How about 75p and a pack of crisps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I like horse meat, it's very tasty when prepared well (by my father that is).

Hey! I didn't thnk it was still available for purchase! (I don't think it is in The Netherlands anyway).

I also once ate kangaroo, which was rather disappointing.

Have you ever tried alligator?
    A very odd, white meat, but ont bad!
    I'm visiting a Carrefour soon and will try and pick up some zebra steak. Apparenly it's brilliant!

Dog was quite ok in China,tough very very though. And that's about the most exotic I've eaten.

And that's the main reason why we don't eat meat-eaters: their meat really is very tough and takes a LOT of preparation. In purely practical terms it simply isn't worth the effort.

You get to suggest that once.
    This was it.
    Next time I'll kill you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I didn't called anyone ignorant, i called it (not directly, but still) barbaric, unethical and something which irritates me greatly. As simple as that.

It's ironic that this discussion stemmed out of me throwing away a Jeremy Clarkson-style quip about vegetarians yesterday which led to lots of people saying how stupid vegetarians are. What would you make of a vegetarian coming on here and telling you that you're barbaric and unethical for eating cows or pigs?

Now there's food for thought!? wink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

We would probably eat him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm very rich, so I can only try.

What about milk? Horse milk, cow milk, goat milk? I only like cow milk actually (loads of it), since horse milk tastes too much like Nutella without the chocolate. Goat milk is okay, but a bit tasteless.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

Can i has you for dinner?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

DO YOU ALL REALLY BELIEVE THAT IT'S THE SAME THING? IF YES, OK, I REST MY CASE. As i said, this is perhaps my most disappointing moment in MT, ever. I personally cannot believe that you, specific people, actually feel like that or believe this stuff, i am more inclined to believe that the nature and intensity of the discussion and the temptation to annoy me even more is what draws you in. Srsly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I sometimes wonder if people actually read my posts. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    I'm completely lost at sea now.
    Who is calling who ignorant? confused

I'm perfectly happy for you to consider the eating of dogs (which we in our culture may keep as pets) immoral, barbaric and evil and the eating of snakes (which we in our culture may keep as pets) acceptable.
    I happen not to agree with your opinion (which, a the record will show, you have indeed given as nothing but your opinion!), and that is fine too. To me it's simply not that big of a deal.

But I'm not entirely sure what ignorance has to do with anything?

I thought this implied it:

"If you disagree with that, that's fine with me, but basically you would simply choose to ignore a statement of fact. Not an opinion or moral value."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

EDITED TO ADD :- ( i meant to press 'quote' )

The cats and dogs are killed in abject terror by boiling and such, apparently the flush of adrenaline makes them taste better.

So though I love travel and would love to visit China and have a personal mantra of 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' it's obvious I don't quite follow that mantra in the stictest sense.

However, if we crashed in the high Andes I'll not think twice about eating Bregt if my survival depends on it. lick wink

and forwarded
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ARGH!
    DEMETRIS!!

Disagreeing with a FACT is the same as IGNORING it!
    The only way you can disagree with the sun rising every day is to ignore its coming up every morning!
    It's nothing to do with BEING IGNORANT.

And you know me better than that: I imply NOTHING. I state my case boldly and damn the consequences. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

DO YOU ALL REALLY BELIEVE THAT IT'S THE SAME THING? IF YES, OK, I REST MY CASE. As i said, this is perhaps my most disappointing moment in MT, ever. I personally cannot believe that you, specific people, actually feel like that or believe this stuff, i am more inclined to believe that the nature and intensity of the discussion and the temptation to annoy me even more is what draws you in. Srsly.

What I believe is of no relevance. You believe that it's barbaric and unethical to eat dogs and cats just as a a very large number of highly-educated people in our own countries believe it's barbaric and unethical to eat cows and pigs. There's no point us continuing this discussion though, from what I can tell you seem not to be reading anything that anyone's actually saying, and instead imagining that people are saying things which they really aren't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

I think you'll find that's only done to dogs.
    I'm not even sure if there is any current culture that east cats?
    confused

That however and as it may be, now we're talking about a completely different thesis: a moral value on pain and suffering. There is no way in hell I -or anyone in their right mind- could condone such blatantly immoral behaviour as -culture or no- the intended extension of suffering without any purpose than personal physical pleasure pretty much fits anyone's definition of "evil".

That said, I'll eat Bregt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, then we come on to battery chickens, foie gras and so on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I think you'll find that's only done to dogs.
    I'm not even sure if there is any current culture that east cats?
    confused

That however and as it may be, now we're talking about a completely different thesis: a moral value on pain and suffering. There is no way in hell I -or anyone in their right mind- could condone such blatantly immoral behaviour as -culture or no- the intended extension of suffering without any purpose than personal physical pleasure pretty much fits anyone's definition of "evil".

That said, I'll eat Bregt.

Who makes the first cut? Me or You?? biggrin wink

As for the cats, I'm not sure? ( me an my memory? ) I thought I saw a program about this practice once ( definitely the dogs ).

Not something I would want toi stomach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    As for the cats, I'm not sure? ( me an my memory? ) I thought I saw a program about this practice once ( definitely the dogs ).

Tim, I think this article is referring to that programme. (Warning - some of the stuff written at that address will make your stomach turn; do not read if you are faint of heart.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

Yes.
    We do.

And that is a very good point to make.

As for chickens, pigs et cetera, there's great awareness of animal suffering, and meat and eggs from free-roaming chickens are now widely available, so I'll buy that when I can (even against a higher price).

But having eaten -and deeply enjoyed- foie gras, I can hardly claim any moral high ground here.
    And I do wonder how to approach this.
    I haven't worked it out yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes.
    We do.

As for chickens, pigs et cetera, there's great awareness of animal suffering, and meat and eggs from free-roaming chickens are now widely available, so I'll buy that when I can (even against a higher price).

But having eaten -and deeply enjoyed- foie gras, I can hardly claim any moral high ground here.

Nor me. I try to take the coward's way out and not even think about it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes.
    We do.

Nor me. I try to take the coward's way out and not even think about it.

Same here. I've enjoyed the likes of foie gras and veal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Tim, I think this article is referring to that programme. (Warning - some of the stuff written at that address will make your stomach turn; do not read if you are faint of heart.)

I started to read it until I saw how long it was. However, very interesting and I will read this in full later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What I believe is of no relevance. You believe that it's barbaric and unethical to eat dogs and cats just as a a very large number of highly-educated people in our own countries believe it's barbaric and unethical to eat cows and pigs. There's no point us continuing this discussion though, from what I can tell you seem not to be reading anything that anyone's actually saying, and instead imagining that people are saying things which they really aren't.

That's something YOU want to believe i am doing, i have read everything everyone's has posted. And i ask you: what do you believe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think I'll pass. Got the gist from the url... slant Not the sort of material I'd enjoy reading, I think.
    (Thanks for the warning, James)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's something YOU want to believe i am doing, i have read everything everyone's has posted. And i ask you: what do you believe?

Are you now seriously asking James what he believes you believe he believes you to believe?

I need an aspirin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin No, i am asking for his opinion on the subject matter.

Btw, i'd really like everyone to at least see the photos in this article you posted above. I didn't have the time to read it, but i've seen the photos. I've seen similar stuff in the past, it's not new to me but maybe it is for some people?

http://www.messybeast.com/eat-cats.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure you do.
    I'm still not clicking it.
    It's not the sort of thing I need a visual reference for to hammer down its horror.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, it'd be interesting to see if your views will be the same after you dig a little into the subject. 'Cause i have largely done that in the past when i was more involved here in Thessaloniki, photos, videos, articles, dicussions. If you don't know the exact cruelty and nature of something like that and which some people do, then it's easier to defend them from the armchair, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    messybeast.com

messy beast

biggrin
    Kazoo