• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A cool gals of spanish cava. I felt like it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    I like gals in Spanish cava too. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    A cool gals of spanish cava. I felt like it.

Volker

Hey, that's for the 'drink, drink, drink' thread!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    A cool gals of spanish cava. I felt like it.

Volker

Hey, that's for the 'drink, drink, drink' thread!

I had some saltsticks, too! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013
    Stavroula wrote
    Here it goes then! Stavroula's stifado!

1Kg lean beef - cubed.
    500g baby shallot onions - peeled.
    1 large onions chopped.
    1 large juicy tomatoes - chopped.
    2 table-spoons of tomato paste.
    1/2 nutmeg crushed (put it into a bag and hit it with a rolling pin!)
    1 cinnamon stick and 3 cloves.
    4 garlic cloves - finely chopped.
    1 vegetable stock cube (optional)
    Rosemary sprig or two.
    1 small wineglass of extra-virgin olive oil.
    1 glass of red or white wine (preferably red!)
    2 table-spoons of vinegar.
    Fresh coarsely ground black pepper and salt.
    1. Add the beef to large frying pan or casserole dish. Place on a high heat, stirring occasionally until meat is sealed.
    2. Add the olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Continue cooking on a high heat, until the onions have turned soft. (About 5mins)
    3. Add wine and vinegar, leave on heat but covered for another 5 mins.
    4. Next nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, rosemary, stock cube and a good pinch of black pepper. Keep stirring while the ingredients blend, on a moderate heat. Add salt to taste.
    5. Keep heating while adding the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste.
    6. Turn out into a casserole dish (Terracota), with lid. Add 1 litre of hot water so as to cover the meat. Cook in oven until the meat is nearly cooked - about one hour.
    7. While waiting, peel the baby shallot onions, wash them and shallow fry them in a little olive oil, until soft, not letting them burn.
    8. Add the shallots (but not the oil) to the simmering meat and leave in the oven until the meat is thoroughly cooked (soft and tender) - at least another hour - add water if needed (don't let it dry out), so that you end up with a rich thick sauce.
    This is a Corfiot recipe guys, my grandma's, so I'm giving away the family secrets so you know! wink

I have all the ingredients and this is this Sundays dinner lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013 edited
    I am in the process of cooking right now......smells awesome lick

p.s. Since moving 5 months ago I had to dump my gas oven and am now using electric.

I completely and unfortunately agree with Martijn crazy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I am in the process of cooking right now......smells awesome lick

It does, doesn't it? lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013
    I have about another hour to go.... chicken
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    angelic MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angelic

it turned out perfect, I had two helpings and now I'm stuffed.

Thank you Stavi kiss

I sent some around to my neighbour to try, she lived in Greece for many years and is a dab-hand herself at cooking, I await her verdict.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    fireworks I'm so glad you both liked it! I wish you were here so I could cook it for you! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Brace yourselves... Martijn's about to read that post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013
    As you see my dear Steven, Martijn did not react! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's kinda hard to acces the internet from under several cold showers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    angelic MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angelic

it turned out perfect, I had two helpings and now I'm stuffed.

Thank you Stavi kiss

I sent some around to my neighbour to try, she lived in Greece for many years and is a dab-hand herself at cooking, I await her verdict.

I got a massive thumbs-up from my neighbour on FB beer

I'll be doing your recipe again soon.....very very soon. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I'll be doing your recipe again soon.....very very soon. lick

yeah

Got some rave reviews myself, and I always like to stick with a winner. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Since you liked it so much I will send you more recipes! Is there anything in particular you would like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm a big meat eater, so any recipe with meat will have my undivided attention! lick
    For the rest: would you mind if I leave it up to you?
    I'll take any recommendations!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My favourite food is meat. eat
  3. I wrote down a German translation of Stavroula's Stifado recipe, which I intend to cook next weekend.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    Not really smile ...but I *would* be interested in one of your own favourite recipes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited
    Are you a rare or well done kind of guy, Martijn? eat (And Timmer!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Greatly depends on the quality of the meat, but in general sanguine is not my thing.
    Medium to well done it is.
    I know this is blasphemy to barbecue purists, but then I could never understand the odd preconception that rare (for a steak) is the only proper way to eat it. To me it's a rather bloody and unpleasant mess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I prefer saignant or à point myself!

How does medium and well done map with the French words?

I read Stavi's recipe. But that seems like a lot of work?
    Not a very patient cook I am.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rare: Bleu
    Medium rare: saignant
    Medium: À point
    Medium well: cuit
    Well done: bien cuit

À votre service.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sacre Bleu!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Well done is a waste of good meat. My favourite cut of beef is ribeye ( far tastier than the more expensive fillet ) and I always cook it/or have it done, medium rare.

My Belgian friend Alain ( he lives here in Bristol ), when asked how he likes his beef always says "show it the pan" :blood:

How about you Steven, I bet you like it Stewed.....ha....hahaha....I'm so funny....my ribs(eyes) hurt....

shame :coat: >>>>>
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well done is a waste of good meat.

ONLY when you let the meat dry out.
    Otherwise it's just some made up barbecue mores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Same as you, Timmer. It needs to be at least pinkish in the middle! lick A certain somebody whom I may or may not know whom may or may not hang around on this forum from time to time likes it burnt to smoulders with only carbon left.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Same as you, Timmer. It needs to be at least pinkish in the middle! lick A certain somebody whom I may or may not know whom may or may not hang around on this forum from time to time likes it burnt to smoulders with only carbon left.

There must be a word for it? 'I'll have it Han-Solo' or some such? Carbonited? Sheesh! spin