• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote

My Belgian friend Alain ( he lives here in Bristol ), when asked how he likes his beef always says "show it the pan" :blood:

Yeah, we say that too: Das Steak hat die Pfanne nur von Weitem gesehen. That steak has seen the pan only from afar.

For the records: I like my stake medium rare.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Same as you, Timmer. It needs to be at least pinkish in the middle! lick A certain somebody whom I may or may not know whom may or may not hang around on this forum from time to time likes it burnt to smoulders with only carbon left.

There must be a word for it? 'I'll have it Han-Solo' or some such? Carbonited? Sheesh! spin

That would actually be frozen.
    You're probably thinking about having it Greedo'd.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    I know! ( and I knew you'd chime in on this wink ) It certainly freezes my soul to think of anyone having a fine steak carbonised.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Any meat that has any trace of blood/pink in it, I refuse to eat. Well done all the way, baby!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I know!

Really?! I made it up on the spot! dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I know!

To the fact that carbonited is frozen wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Any meat that has any trace of blood/pink in it, I refuse to eat. Well done all the way, baby!

cry<--my small wizard friend.....I can't cry for you so he does
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The red isn't actually blood; it's a protein called myoglobin mixed with water! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I know!

To the fact that carbonited is frozen wink

shame
    Oh.

Steven wrote
    The red isn't actually blood; it's a protein called myoglobin mixed with water! tongue

But it is of course structurally related to blood-borne hemoglobin.

Timmer wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Any meat that has any trace of blood/pink in it, I refuse to eat. Well done all the way, baby!

cry<--my small wizard friend.....I can't cry for you so he does

lol applause
    (Even though Jon is quite right of course.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Shoe soles we call well done or overdone around here.
    SHOE SOLE EATER.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wouldn't that just be tough (=ruined) meat?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hmm. Perhaps.

Anyway, it's the first time I'm surrounded by so many bien cuit lovers! Very rare. So perhaps that's why. We might, under friends, exaggerate when we use shoe sole meat.

I make no sense, do I?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Steven wrote

But it is of course structurally related to blood-borne hemoglobin.

Hey! I was trying to be the smart arse! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote:

I make no sense, do I?

Why break the habit of a lifetime? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Shoe soles we call well done or overdone around here.
    SHOE SOLE EATER.

Makes total TOTAL sense Bregt. Yes! Both Jon and Martijn are SHOE SOLE EATERS, quality meat ruined by cooking. moon spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013
    I unfortunately always overdo fish. Because when it's probably perfect I'm always afraid it's still a bit raw so I cook it a little more... The same with chicken by the way!
  3. Well chicken has to be thoroughly cooked for hygienic reasons.

Fish I prefer well done, too. I know some like a "glassy" core in their cod. I don't.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    I unfortunately always overdo fish. Because when it's probably perfect I'm always afraid it's still a bit raw so I cook it a little more... The same with chicken by the way!

With poultry and fish it's better to be safe than to be sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm....overcooked (and crumbling) fish and bone-dry chicken really aren't favourites of mine.

I find it's tricky with fish: it generally cooks so fast that you just have to develop some kind of feel for it, I guess.
    So: practice! smile

With chicken it's quite easy: I usually slightly undercook it, and then leave it for another 5-8 minutes off the fire to allow the residual heat of the meat to cook the inside through. That way you get the meat both white AND still succulent.

I'm generally not too concerned about health issues: generally salmonella (in The Netherlands) is a thing of the past for poultry. The worst thing that can happen when undercooking it is a little tummy upset (nothing that isn't usually fixed by a normal trip to the bathroom wink ).
    It's different for very young children though, and I tend to be a LOT more thorough and careful when cooking with little children participating.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    With chicken it's quite easy: I usually slightly undercook it, and then leave it for another 5-8 minutes off the fire to allow the residual heat of the meat to cook the inside through. That way you get the meat both white AND still succulent.

Good one! I would leave for 20 minutes or more.

I also sometimes like my chicken very well done so that the meat slips off the bones.

Did you ever try the Beer Can Chicken recipe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Good one! I would leave for 20 minutes or more.
    I also sometimes like my chicken very well done so that the meat slips off the bones.

Ah yes! I should have specified I meant chicken fillet!
    For drumsticks or whole/half chickens it should be longer!

Did you ever try the Beer Can Chicken recipe?

shocked
    I forgot about that!
    That's a proper outdoor summery recipe!
    I'll get that on end of this week or so!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You've reminded me that I haven't cooked one of my favourites for a long time, Chicken in breadcrumbs ala Weiner Schnitzel style.

Put bread ( preferably on the stale side ) in a blender, I find a mixture of white and wholemeal is good but this is just a personal preference, you can really muck about with this, adding herbs, pepper, paprika, chillis....whatever takes your fancy...

Flatten the chicken breasts ( covered by grease-proof paper ) with a solid bread board or something heavy-ish and flat.

Dust chicken with plain flour, dip this into whisked egg mix ( 1 or 2 eggs should do ) until completely covered and then dip this into your breadcrumb mix.

Fry on a medium heat on both sides for about 3 minutes each side until breadcrumbs are golden brown.

Done! eat

p.s. If I have any mushrooms I'll chop those into large chunks and do them the same as the chicken to use up any left-over ingrediants.

Serve up with baby potatoes and garnished salad in whatever way you enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk
    Nice one, Volker!
    Will try that one next week!

(Next week is gonna be a bit of a poultry effort... dizzy shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    punk
    Nice one, Volker!

Were you thrown by the Weiner Schnitzel reference? biggrin wink
  4. Martijn wrote
    punk
    Nice one, Volker!

You meant Timmer surely, or what exately are you reffering to? confused spin
  5. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    punk
    Nice one, Volker!

Wiener Schnitzel

An Austrian dish, well an Italian actually: Costoletta a la milanese
    Well, in Wien they claim their variety is somehow different.

But it's lecker anyway!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    punk
    Nice one, Volker!

Captain Future wrote
    You meant Timmer surely, or what exately are you reffering to? confused spin

Timmer wrote

shocked
    Oh my God. I was! shocked

How myopic of me. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    But it's lecker anyway!

Lekker. smile

But still beer !
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I had to look it up but yeah! biggrin beer
  6. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    But it's lecker anyway!

Lekker. smile

Hä? confused

Edit: Oh, I see! biggrin