• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2013
    I've just eaten my own home made chips with a hugely thick peppered Sirloin Steak, corn-on-the-cob, asparagus spears and baked mushroom....my gods it was wonderful lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Mmmmm....I like the sound of that.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Sounds wonderful.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Proper breakfast?
    Coffee smoothies with a dash of rum.

Oh yeah!

You are one badass mofo.

I can dig it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Just munching on

Blair's Death Rain medium hot Buffalo Wings potato crisps.

I love this brand. They are about jalapeno hot which is just fine for me. I like it spicy but I'm no capsaicin / chili junky. I think Martijn said he was.

How hot do you like your food?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2013
    I'm a bit of a chili junky, I think those would be too mild for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2013
    Thor wrote

I read this too fast and thought it said "Mmmmm....I like the sound of fat."

Which reminds me of our vacation in the caravan where raindrops on the roof sound like a frying pan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    How hot do you like your food?

Hot is great, although I resist the "macho" thing where it can never be hot enough.
    Spicy is an enhancement, not a replacement. And as soon as the heat overtakes the flavour (rather than add an extra dimension to it), you're doing it wrong.

But I adore Indonesian, Thai and Indian spicy foods, the former being my absolute favourite of favourites.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Thor wrote

I read this too fast and thought it said "Mmmmm....I like the sound of fat."

Which reminds me of our vacation in the caravan where raindrops on the roof sound like a frying pan.

Well, I DO like the sound of fat too -- whenever I crunch down on a potato CHIP!

POTATO CHIPS 4-EVER!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Hot is great, although I resist the "macho" thing where it can never be hot enough.

It seems to be a very "English" thing to have the hottest spiciest Indian food possible and I've seen it many times ( even, bless um, a couple of friends ). I've never seen the point in burning your taste buds to death to a point where everything tastes of nothing.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

It seems to be a very "English" thing to have the hottest spiciest Indian food possible and I've seen it many times ( even, bless um, a couple of friends ). I've never seen the point in burning your taste buds to death to a point where everything tastes of nothing.

I can see we are all on the same boat here. Tim is the ship's cook, Martijn's the esquire, I am of course the captain, now where is Jim? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

I can see we are all on the same boat here. Tim is the ship's cook, Martijn's the esquire, I am of course the captain, now where is Jim? cheesy

I can be the evil stowaway that puts potato chips in everybody's food.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    MUTINY! angry

The whip, mr. Christian!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My RECIPE BOOK
  4. When stranded on a lonely island this might come in handy.
    We would need some vegetarians though for I heard it's unhealthy to eat meat eating animals. Preferably individuals who have not been treated with antibiotics for some time. That would be quality meat.
    skull eat
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    When stranded on a lonely island this might come in handy.
    We would need some vegetarians though for I heard it's unhealthy to eat meat eating animals.

I've never thought about that, but you're right -- the meat we tend to eat is mostly from vegetarian animals.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I believe it's something to do with high protein diets, makes the meat tougher and not as succulent. Having said that, Rabbits are really lean and are pretty tough if not cooked right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Kleftiko? Want! What is it? I don't care. I want it. Gimme! Gimme!

It's a slow cooked lamb dish.

Funny enough it's a dish I've made loads of times over the years and I think it was because I mentioned eating it on this board that Stavi sent me her recipe.*

I think everyone has their own ways of cooking it, apart from Stavi's which I cooked to the letter not one Kleftico I've made has been the same. Apart from some early disasters all the Klefticos I've made have been good to excellent.

*If it's not a pain Stavi, perhaps you could be good enough to put the recipe up here? I would do it myself except I lost it along with my pre-Devonian period computer about a year ago.

:panic:
    I'm getting dinner guests over next Friday, and I NEED THIS RECIPE!

Staaaaaaviiiiiiii!! βοήθειαααααα!!! cry crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    Here it goes then! Stavroula's stifado!

1Kg lean beef - cubed.
    500g baby shallot onions - peeled.
    1 large onions chopped.
    1 large juicy tomatoes - chopped.
    2 table-spoons of tomato paste.
    1/2 nutmeg crushed (put it into a bag and hit it with a rolling pin!)
    1 cinnamon stick and 3 cloves.
    4 garlic cloves - finely chopped.
    1 vegetable stock cube (optional)
    Rosemary sprig or two.
    1 small wineglass of extra-virgin olive oil.
    1 glass of red or white wine (preferably red!)
    2 table-spoons of vinegar.
    Fresh coarsely ground black pepper and salt.
    1. Add the beef to large frying pan or casserole dish. Place on a high heat, stirring occasionally until meat is sealed.
    2. Add the olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Continue cooking on a high heat, until the onions have turned soft. (About 5mins)
    3. Add wine and vinegar, leave on heat but covered for another 5 mins.
    4. Next nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, rosemary, stock cube and a good pinch of black pepper. Keep stirring while the ingredients blend, on a moderate heat. Add salt to taste.
    5. Keep heating while adding the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste.
    6. Turn out into a casserole dish (Terracota), with lid. Add 1 litre of hot water so as to cover the meat. Cook in oven until the meat is nearly cooked - about one hour.
    7. While waiting, peel the baby shallot onions, wash them and shallow fry them in a little olive oil, until soft, not letting them burn.
    8. Add the shallots (but not the oil) to the simmering meat and leave in the oven until the meat is thoroughly cooked (soft and tender) - at least another hour - add water if needed (don't let it dry out), so that you end up with a rich thick sauce.
    This is a Corfiot recipe guys, my grandma's, so I'm giving away the family secrets so you know! wink

Unlees it was this you cooked for friends last time why not just do the excellent Stifado recipe Martijn beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, I was looking for the kleftiko one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavi hasn't posted it yet. Will the Stifado not do? At least you've already had success with that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but I wanted to do a bit of a spread, y'know? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2013 edited
    Even though I'm in the middle of a crisis here, the kleftiko recipe!
    Ingredients:
    1 small leg of lamb, bone in, cut into serving pieces or 6 shoulder lamb chops
    1 large onion, peeled and cut into quarters
    2 Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
    10 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh spearmint or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried spearmint, crumbled
    5 medium size potatoes, peeled and quartered
    8 ounces kefalotiri (pecorino or even parmesan can be subbed in a pinch) or 8 ounces kefalograviera cheese, cut into chunks of about 1 1/2 inches (pecorino or even parmesan can be subbed in a pinch)
    1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely sliced
    1 cup red wine
    1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    salt & freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 180 C.
    In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together and toss well until everything is well-coated. Season generously with pepper, but go a little easier on the salt than you normally would because of the cheese .
    If you have a large clay pot, like a bean pot, assemble the ingredients there, cover with lid, and proceed with recipe. If not, cut 6 large sheets of parchment, distribute the kleftiko mixture evenly amongst the 6 sheets, and wrap up envelope-style. You may need to double-wrap cause you don't want any of the lovely juices this recipe emits to get lost in drainage while braising. A large, covered casserole would work well, too. Basically what you want to do is have as little liquid escape during cooking as possible.
    Braise, in the oven, for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. You want the meat to be falling off the bone. Yes, the potatoes and carrot will be very soft and tender, but will be permeated with a deep-rich flavour.
    Oh boys! I cook this very well!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thank you, omorfe!! love
  5. Stavroula wrote
    Even though I'm in the middle of a crisis here ...

I'm sorry to hear that. Is your workplace going to pieces? slant

All the best!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well spotted Volker!Thank you for your concern! I'll let you know all soon! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013
    Best wishes Stavi. Whatever it is I hope it's not too serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh spearmint or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried spearmint, crumbled
    8 ounces kefalotiri (pecorino or even parmesan can be subbed in a pinch) or 8 ounces kefalograviera cheese, cut into chunks of about 1 1/2 inches (pecorino or even parmesan can be subbed in a pinch)

...These are going to pose challenges. slant
    I just found out I have no opportunity to do a test run, so the Day Itself will prove whether or not I've done this justice.

I kinda trust myself in the kitchen with a new recipe, and it doesn't look as complicated as cooking meth...but still...

I'll let you know how I went!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013
    So did you cook it or not yet? smile