• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013
    I think we'll know how it went after Friday, Stavi.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    So did you cook it or not yet? smile

No, no! Next Friday.
    I just came back from doing all the necessary shopping, and I can't wait! I'm really looking forward to it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013 edited
    MY GOD!

I so overate last night.

But it was magnificent: the soutzoukakia*) came out fantastically. I decided not to skimp on the pepper to counter the quite pervasive cloves, and that worked wonderfully!
    Ecstatically I found out there was a bit left for today, so I'm enjoying that as I type!

The stifado *)once again was a smash hit, JUST as good as it was last time.

The kleftiko*) was the easiest dish to put together...and the hardest to cook properly: it really requires a good casserole dish or so: I had to make do with tin foil, and I found that even though the dish was quite juicy still, the lamb had dried out a bit.
    The taste was great, but I'm not as happy with how this dish came out as I was with the other two.

For dessert I created a sort of fantasy dish.
    I had to forego the traditional Greek Yoghurt as one of my guests was lactose-intolerant (which is a PAIN to cook for!), so I went with goat cottage cheese (which turned out she couldn't have either sad ), with richly honey'd Greek cookies*) on top and halved grapes.
    It's about as authentic as Clash Of The Titans, but it sure as hell worked! Great taste! (Even though I found out while cooking that these cookies are actually traditional Christmas cookies... oh well! )

The whole thing was richly washed down with retsina and ouzo, so all in all it was amost succesful evening!
    Them Greeks. They ain't so bad! smile

kiss wave

*) Not my photos. sad I should really have thought about taking some.
    But I was too busy keeping my old stove together and getting everything on the table in time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013
    Well done Martijn, I'm glad it was mostly successful beer

Kleftico's I've done in the past have been variable ( I'm sure I mentioned this elsewhere ). I would suggest a few layers of baking parchment rather than tin foil.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013 edited
    Cheers, Timmer.
    Yeah, I think that was in Stav's original recipe as well, but I'm not sure how that would work...surely all the juices would be running off when taking it out of the oven?
    I'll try and go with a casserole dish next time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn I'm glad it went ok! I agree with Tim that backing parchment would have work better but there is an even better solution! A trip to Greece to buy a traditional terracotta pan! I will be happy to point you to the right shop! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What a nice offer. Hmmmm, let me think about that. Hmmmm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Well... you will have to come to Athens! I got transferred last week and I'm currently packing to leave Sparta in a few days!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Martijn I'm glad it went ok! I agree with Tim that backing parchment would have work better but there is an even better solution! A trip to Greece to buy a traditional terracotta pan! I will be happy to point you to the right shop! wink

cool applause
  1. Stavroula wrote
    Well... you will have to come to Athens! I got transferred last week and I'm currently packing to leave Sparta in a few days!

Which means that at least you are not out of work?

Greetings to Greece!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2013
    Kleftiko again tonight! lick
  2. Grüezi mitenand!
    (Swiss German for: Greetings altogether.)

I just had pan raclette: Potatoes boiled in the skin, lean ham cubes, chopped salami, chopped oniens. All fried in butter and gratinated witha layer of swiss raclette cheese. Served with the peeled potatoes.

lick

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Kleftiko again tonight! lick

How did it go this time? Better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2013 edited
    Hell yeah!
    I used the baking paper, and it was MUCH more tender and succulent than last time!
    Massive success!

(I love the history of the dish by the way: "stolen meat"... Sheep that stray too far from the herd... biggrin )
  3. Just wanted to share with you that I've just seen cinnamon-flavoured and mint-chocolate-flavoured... Pringles!!

Indeed, crisps (or: potato chips) with chocolate or cinnamon flavour. As intruiged as I was, I didn't dare buy them.

What's the weirdest flavoured food you know?

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2013
    Cock soup.

ask Steven wink
  4. Just opened a bar of dark chokolate with hazlenuts. This brand is less sugary than others. I love that.

Scotch goes very well with that kind of chokolate.

lick
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2013
    Scotch goes with anything. Real men have it with their cereals!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Cock soup.

Followed by Spotted Dick?
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  6. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    You've reminded me that I haven't cooked one of my favourites for a long time, Chicken in breadcrumbs ala Weiner Schnitzel style.

Put bread ( preferably on the stale side ) in a blender, I find a mixture of white and wholemeal is good but this is just a personal preference, you can really muck about with this, adding herbs, pepper, paprika, chillis....whatever takes your fancy...

Flatten the chicken breasts ( covered by grease-proof paper ) with a solid bread board or something heavy-ish and flat.

Dust chicken with plain flour, dip this into whisked egg mix ( 1 or 2 eggs should do ) until completely covered and then dip this into your breadcrumb mix.

Fry on a medium heat on both sides for about 3 minutes each side until breadcrumbs are golden brown.

Done! eat

p.s. If I have any mushrooms I'll chop those into large chunks and do them the same as the chicken to use up any left-over ingrediants.

Serve up with baby potatoes and garnished salad in whatever way you enjoy it.

I did this on Saturday including the mushrooms bit lick Remember, if you try this, to give the chicken breast a damned good bashing, preferably with a heavy duty bread board or the like.

Martijn, I remember you were interested in this recipe....no?

Anyway, I made an addition while doing this same recipe today and put a handful of Pancetta ( aka Lardons ) into the blender with the breadcrumbs.......OMG!!!! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2013 edited
    Do I annoy everyone when I say that I've overeaten on chips and chocolate again? I'm so stuffed, I'm nauseous. And I'm incredibly fat.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It doesn't annoy me Thor, it just makes me sad. You are a handsome man as far as I can tell from the pictures. Drink and junk food are going to take this away from you. Not to mention what they are doing to your health. You can have chips and chocolate and beer without overdoing it. Anyway! Who am I to tell you what to do?!
    Today I baked orange pie with syrup!!! lick Unbelievable smell and taste!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Do I annoy everyone when I say that I've overeaten on chips and chocolate again? I'm so stuffed, I'm nauseous. And I'm incredibly fat.

I generally drink tea or coffee when I have cravings for 'fatty' snacks. Also, an irritating but effective motto to keep in mind when you're food shopping is You buy crap, you eat crap. Don't buy it, and you won't eat it! Simple as that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I generally drink tea or coffee when I have cravings for 'fatty' snacks. Also, an irritating but effective motto to keep in mind when you're food shopping is You buy crap, you eat crap. Don't buy it, and you won't eat it! Simple as that.

I agree with that! There is no way I have chocolate in the house and ignore it!! I scream "eat me"from inside the cupboard! So I don't buy it anymore. I just have a bar of bitter chocolate in the house for the very difficult days of the month when I need some.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm very weak that way, and of course they happen to have the snacks aisles just by the check-out counters when I go grocery shopping. I'm very impressed by the likes of you, Stavi, who -- even though you like it -- is able to avoid buying it. The self-control in that.

The weakness for the sweet and salty deliciousness is something that runs in my family, and I believe research has shown there's a genetic component to this. The 'pleasure' part of my brain is incredibly active when it comes to these things. That isn't to say it's impossible to "re-educate" the brain, so to speak, but it's harder for me than many others.

PLUS...I also have the life philosophy that one should indulge once in a while and enjoy the good things in life. Some of my friends are very health-oriented (both exercise and food-wise), but that isn't me. I would be very depressed if I were to live like that.

My longterm goal now is to cut everyday indulgences to only dark chocolate. For weekends, I still want to eat chips and milky chocolate and beer, but cut down a little bit.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I'm not helath - oriented. The fact that twice last year my doctor screamt that I should be taken to the hospital due to extremely low levels of ferritin, iron and hematoctrit attests to that. I didn't listen and I paid for it with falls, bruises and so on, but at least I was not in a hospital. But that was not me eating junk food,it was me not taking care of myself. And yes I too enjoy chocolate and chips but I like my body too!!! So I try to have a goal as you do - well done for that by the way - and keep things under control in order to be able to enjoy them for many years!
    By the way I can send you some recipes for healty chips and fried potatoes if you like me too! This way you will have an excuse not to buy them and the pleasure to make them yourself, PLUS you may be bored to do it sometimes so you won't eat as much as you do! As for chocolate... I know it can't be helped!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sure -- anything potatoish and chipsy and I'm game! Thanks for the recipe offer! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Deal!! I will pretty soon! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My self control is legendary. I am the zen-buddhist monk of the cocoa bean! The Yoda of milky sweetness!
    I will buy chocolate like war is coming, and then it'll last me months!
    And God, I *love* chocolate. lick dizzy
    But I won't eat it all at once, if only because the second bite (well, usually it's around the sixth or seventh to be honest) is so much less satisfying than the first.
    So I save it.

Plus, you know, you never know when a war might be coming.

PS: Healthy potato chips? uhm
    Decafeinated coffee.
    Sugarless coke.
    WHAT'S THE POINT?!?!?