• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ^lick

I'm afraid Im not visiting Christmas markets too much anymore during the season. They are not as atmospheric as they used to be. They have become noisy, loud pop music, little or no traditional music. No handycraft products from Seiffen / Erzgebirge or by local craftsmen, but mass market imitations from China. 90% is food, food, food. Also people visibly intoxicated by too much glühwein are turning me off.

There are some nice Christmas fairs left, most of which open for just one week. You have to know where to go.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2014
    Good lord...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2014
    I've just eaten a lamb Stifado.

As usual I used Stavi's fabulous family recipe but this was the first time I did it with lamb.

What can I say but...

Oh My God eat lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Bon appétit messieur! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2014
    I just put in the oven two loaves of Norwegian Festive bread. My apartment is already filled with smell of the bread which has cardamon in it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I've just eaten a lamb Stifado.

As usual I used Stavi's fabulous family recipe but this was the first time I did it with lamb.

What can I say but...

Oh My God eat lick

I'm not a fan of lamb at the best of times... In fact, Stavi's recipe is the ONLY one in which I not only can stomach lamb, but actively love it. lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I love roast lamb with string beans, roast potatos and lots of garlic. lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Lamb may well be my favourite meat but it isn't one I eat often.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I love roast lamb with string beans, roast potatos and lots of garlic. lick

Slow roast shoulder of lamb. Stabbed all over and heavily rubbed with crushed/chopped anchovies, garlic, capers, rosemary and pepper in olive oil prepared in a pestle and mortar. lick
  4. I just had a cool pint of Rhenanian Altbier, which is great to counterpoint the glogg. biggrin christmas_drunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I love roast lamb with string beans, roast potatos and lots of garlic. lick

Slow roast shoulder of lamb. Stabbed all over and heavily rubbed with crushed/chopped anchovies, garlic, capers, rosemary and pepper in olive oil prepared in a pestle and mortar. lick

http://i.imgur.com/o461KLs.gifv
  5. I prepared roast duck today with a filling of onions and apples, dumplings made from raw potatos (the dumplings were cooked of course wink ) and sprouts. Love sprouts! lick
    We opted for beer instead of wine, an "Altbier" from the northern Rhine region: Diebels from Issum near the Dutch border. Martijn may know it.

For dessert we had fresh pinaple with whipped cream, seasoned with cinnamon.

What is everybody cooking for Christmas?

Volkert
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2014
    Porridge made from eggs, cabbage and the colour violet.
  6. Spend too much money on CDs, did you? Couldn't afford something proper for dinner?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :nod: cry
  7. Too. Much. Food.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    We opted for beer instead of wine, an "Altbier" from the northern Rhine region: Diebels from Issum near the Dutch border. Martijn may know it.

Beer and I are not friends. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Too. Much. Food.

We're eating late today. I'm cooking and there's another hour to go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's not late. That's typically north-west European.
    You want go try eating late, talk to the Spanish!
  8. Burns Night means "haggis, neeps and tatties" (or as my phone's predictive text suggested, "haggis, beeps and fatties").

Excellent stuff.

And with a Talisker either side (plus shortbread after the main meal), it was a satisfying culinary delight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015
    Putting myself through Indonesian cuisine cooking classes.
    One should honour one's colonial past!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015
    WHY didn't I do this before?
    Third class yesterday, adn I'm already making wildly exotic dishes and enjoying myself tremendously!
    I knew I liked cooking, but I didn't think I'd quite enjoy this SO much!

...already signed up for the Advanced Course.
    I'm thinking about Graeco-Indo fusion dishes now... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Are there women involved? I bet there are women involved. (Tell me there are women involved?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2015 edited
    Impressive, Martijn. That type of course is always something I say I should do at some point, but never do.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Cool story bro! cool lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I bet there are women involved.

But of course there are dear boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Are there women involved? I bet there are women involved. (Tell me there are women involved?)

I once followed a cooking course with the same hopes. There were woman but they were older than expected.

I cook almost everyday but my meals are getting a bit boring. So I will try to follow this thread but I fear many dishes here take up a lot of work or require exotic ingredients, which I do not always have access to. What's a good but unusual dish to quickly impress anyone?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    WHY didn't I do this before?
    Third class yesterday, adn I'm already making wildly exotic dishes and enjoying myself tremendously!
    I knew I liked cooking, but I didn't think I'd quite enjoy this SO much!

...already signed up for the Advanced Course.
    I'm thinking about Graeco-Indo fusion dishes now... wink

I didn't know the lovely Ms L was now in clogland giving Indonesian cooking courses. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I bet there are women involved.

But of course there are dear boy.

Crikey.
  10. Rare fried rump steak with lots of crispy fried onions and herb butter. Small mixed salad. lick

Volker