• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. There is an electric monk in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

Which brings us back to Douglas Adams. dizzy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2013
    applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2013
    Overnight marinated beef ribs slow cooked for 5 hours = succulence at it's mightiest eat lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013
    Here it goes then! Stavroula's stifado!

1Kg lean beef - cubed.
    500g baby shallot onions - peeled.
    1 large onions chopped.
    1 large juicy tomatoes - chopped.
    2 table-spoons of tomato paste.
    1/2 nutmeg crushed (put it into a bag and hit it with a rolling pin!)
    1 cinnamon stick and 3 cloves.
    4 garlic cloves - finely chopped.
    1 vegetable stock cube (optional)
    Rosemary sprig or two.
    1 small wineglass of extra-virgin olive oil.
    1 glass of red or white wine (preferably red!)
    2 table-spoons of vinegar.
    Fresh coarsely ground black pepper and salt.
    1. Add the beef to large frying pan or casserole dish. Place on a high heat, stirring occasionally until meat is sealed.
    2. Add the olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Continue cooking on a high heat, until the onions have turned soft. (About 5mins)
    3. Add wine and vinegar, leave on heat but covered for another 5 mins.
    4. Next nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, rosemary, stock cube and a good pinch of black pepper. Keep stirring while the ingredients blend, on a moderate heat. Add salt to taste.
    5. Keep heating while adding the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste.
    6. Turn out into a casserole dish (Terracota), with lid. Add 1 litre of hot water so as to cover the meat. Cook in oven until the meat is nearly cooked - about one hour.
    7. While waiting, peel the baby shallot onions, wash them and shallow fry them in a little olive oil, until soft, not letting them burn.
    8. Add the shallots (but not the oil) to the simmering meat and leave in the oven until the meat is thoroughly cooked (soft and tender) - at least another hour - add water if needed (don't let it dry out), so that you end up with a rich thick sauce.
    This is a Corfiot recipe guys, my grandma's, so I'm giving away the family secrets so you know! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013 edited
    lick
    punk
    hug
    kiss
    eat
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    lick
    punk
    hug
    kiss
    eat

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

lick
    eat
    hug
    beer

....or basically copying Martijn cool

I think this is next Sundays dinner.

Thank you Stavi kiss

I am a good cook and I expect no less than to do your Grandma proud.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote

I am a good cook ...

... I always remove the plastic wrapper from the pizza before I put it in the oven!

wink Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

I am a good cook ...

... I always remove the plastic wrapper from the pizza before I put it in the oven!

wink Volker

Good for you, I either make them from scratch or I buy one from local independent Italian restaurants, I haven't tasted a good supermarket pizza.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looks delicious, but I'm not sure I could make it if my life depended on it. I'm the stereotype of the oldfashioned male who can't cook (which is amazing, considering I've lived alone since I was 18). smile

I can't cook anything fancy, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

I am a good cook ...

wink Volker

Good for you, I either make them from scratch or I buy one from local independent Italian restaurants, I haven't tasted a good supermarket pizza.

I love to make pizza from scratch but I only do it on weekends. Also there is no decent Italian restaurant at hand where I live. One of the drawbacks of living in a rural area.

So, sometimes during the week I do fall back on a supermarket pizza. Some of the brands we have here are rather decent. But it's never the real thing of cause.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm a mediocre cook at best, I guess, with some strong points.
    But I do love to cook when I find the time (which is all too little sad ) , and this recipe is in no way daunting. I'm gonna give this a shot this week and will report back here!

...i just don't have a terracotta dish....need to think how I can best substitute this (I know, I know. Blasphemy.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Also, I have a kitchen which is basically a walk-in-closet. Extremely tiny. So it doesn't exactly inspire lavish cooking.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    I'm a mediocre cook at best, I guess, with some strong points.
    But I do love to cook when I find the time (which is all too little sad ) , and this recipe is in no way daunting. I'm gonna give this a shot this week and will report back here!

...i just don't have a terracotta dish....need to think how I can best substitute this (I know, I know. Blasphemy.)

I don't have a terracotta dish either but I do have a good heavy-duty metal casserole pot.

I want to try some North African recipes soon so I'll need to invest in some terracotta dishes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013
    I was looking into that as well. I do think it should make a difference as terracotta (I think) lets through a lot more oxygen and vapour. But yeah, let's see. I'll be using my excellent cast iron stew pot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2013 edited
    I've just spotted a cherry tree in next doors garden* and some branches are overhanging into mine, they look near ripe, all I need is something to hook the branches so I can reach these delight lick

*I didn't notice until I saw the fruits growing today
  5. Martijn wrote
    I was looking into that as well. I do think it should make a difference as terracotta (I think) lets through a lot more oxygen and vapour. But yeah, let's see. I'll be using my excellent cast iron stew pot.

I have a so called "Römertopf" made of terracotta. It's fabulous!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013
    Römertopf! A new one or still one from the seventies? wink
    I remember my mom had one, I think it was a trend back then. Now you see tajines everywhere.

About cherries. I bought some last weekend, just from the supermarket, but they were perfect. The most perfect cherries I ever had in my life. A bit too perfect perhaps, I checked if they weren't fake first. OK, they could be sweeter, but still, very beautiful and juicy.

Tonight I'll have diner at an Italian restaurant. I hope it will be good. eat
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2013
    I am not much of a cook but I do not lie when i say i make fantastics salads! i know that doesn't very exciting or talented but when you compare it to the measly scrap of grass and couple of tomatoes they give you in restaurants crazy mine look gourmet! I pretty much put anything i want in it and ends up a mixed colourful mess! I always garnish it with some olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar and awwwwww man. That is some tasty shit! punk

I suggest you all try it. Choose at least 6 of the following ingredients:
    lettuce, tomatoes, olives, mozarella, carrot, apple, sweetcorn, beetroot, bread, sun dried tomatoes, prawns, ham, smoked salmon, broccoli, feta cheese, peppers, avocado, crab

(i know some ingredient may seem dizzy but be adventurous )
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013 edited
    I agree with you Sarah, done well there is nothing boring about a good salad, dressing is key. I add artichoke to your list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013
    I'm the Master of Salads!
    Um...in print that looks kinda less impressive than I hoped it might....

Add chicken in a breadcrumb mix with sea salt and dried chili, pestled into one coating, softly roasted.
    C'est LE YUM!

Oh, and add anchovis to the list.
    Brilliant natural salter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013
    The stifado has been slightly delayed, but slated for tomorrow.
    Watch this space for exciting updates!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    I like salad with warm brie, honey and walnuts. For instance eat
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Salad is a sidedish, not a meal! Although on a few occasions, I have been known to consume a salad as meal too -- but only if it contains meat of some kind (chicken, tuna fish etc.) and there's bread on the side.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I'm the Master of Salads!
    Um...in print that looks kinda less impressive than I hoped it might....

Add chicken in a breadcrumb mix with sea salt and dried chili, pestled into one coating, softly roasted.
    C'est LE YUM!

Oh, and add anchovis to the list.
    Brilliant natural salter.

Absolutely. anchovis are an excellent ingredient for roast lamb too, combined with garlic and rosemary.

I love doing chicken in bread crumbs ( my crumb mix is never the same ) I usually smash the chicken-breast flat and do it in a weiner schnitzel style.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I agree with you Sarah, done well there is nothing boring about a good salad, dressing is key. I add artichoke to your list.

Oh, and pine-nuts, I love pine-nuts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    The stifado has been slightly delayed, but slated for tomorrow.
    Watch this space for exciting updates!

And it was a thunderous success!
    The meat was succulent, the balance in tastes wonderful.
    What really made a difference was adding the shallots very late in the game!

So I did have to make some adjustments though shame .
    As I am cooking on electricity (which I hate, HATE, HATE crazy !), it's incredibly hard searing meat: it generally gets cooked. So I had to fry it a few times over, in butter as well as oil, which worked.
    Additionally, there's almost zero evaporation, so I had to cut down significantly on the amount of watre used (I used just 400 ml, which was a bit too much even!).

Due to the extreme moisture, I added a few hard-boiling potatoes (red ones, my favourite!) near the very end (to cook along just another 30 minutes), which was a golden idea! They got boiled perfectly, taking on some of the broth's flavour.

The only think I'm unsure about is how many tomatoes I should have used?
    The recipe says just one, but then keeps mentioning them in the plural....so I cut two huge ones, and I think it may have been too much, as the tomatoes' taste got a bit overwhelming (I added more spices and fresh dill to counter that, which worked a treat).

So, long story short: great recipe, great result, with many kudos and applause from my dinner guests.

Ευχαριστώ!!! kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds very good Martijn. I'm guessing the evaporation problem is caused by not having the terracotta dish.

I'm waiting until we do a BBQ around at mine in a couple of weeks before doing this recipe which I intend to try on a few people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I'm guessing the evaporation problem is caused by not having the terracotta dish.

My thoughts exactly.
    It is still very doable in a cast iron pot. Just be very careful with the amounts of fluids.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Point noted beer