• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008
    Hi,

If anyone is interested in having a listen to the premiere performance of my choral piece, "Nocturne", here it is: http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … cturne.mp3

Cheers,

mc
  1. Quite a nice piece you've done there, Mikael. Is this the first opportunity you've had to write for a choral ensemble?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Amazing! I've added it to my library. cool

franz_conrad wrote
    Quite a nice piece you've done there, Mikael.

Well don't get too excited Michael. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He's just compensating for you lack of stiff upper lip, Steven. wink
    (What would the Queen say!?)

It's a lovely piece, Mikael, and keeps hovering on the verge of the familiar without "breaking through", so to speak (which of course makes sense, it being an original work!).
    I'd be very interested though what your inspiration is?
    What sort of choral music do you enjoy listening to?

Oh, kudos to the Haga Motet.
    Very nice sound.
    I'm guessing they do popular close harmony as well?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Who? What tet? Haga Motet?

I liked it too! The buildup is well paced and the finale is really nice. How did the live performance go this weekend? Reactions and such.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bravo Mikael, that really was lovely!

Without sounding like him, the quieter moments reminds me of the subtlety of John Barry's choral writing. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Amazing work! So ethereal sounding... it was great! Way to go, man! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008 edited
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. To answer your questions:

1) This my the choral third one performed and I've done approximately ten a cappella compositions at this point. It is really something I devote much more time to in comparison with film and tv music. It is just so incredibly rewarding to get it performed live in front of an audience.

2) My inspiration is, of course, first and foremost the text. The lyrics is in Swedish, so obviously most of you don't know what this is about. In short, it's a descpriptive, atmospheric and mystic poem about the night on the beach under the moon...

3) I am a huge fan of Eric Whitacre, who I've interviewed once and whose music I am listening to constantly. As a member in the Haga Motettkor (I'm a 1st tenor) I have also performed many of his pieces (I Thank You God, Sleep, Water Night, With a Lily in Your Hand, etc). So he is a pretty big influence. Others I like are Morten Lauridsen (although his tenor lines is a pain), Poulenc, Rautavaara, Holst, Hindemith, Brahms, Rachmaninov...

4) Not sure what popular close harmony is, but if you are referring to the popular modern style of a cappella writing in teh Whitacre tradition, you are right - we are doing a lot of that stuff.

5) The performance was great - my piece was part of a programme devoted to "night music" and it all went very well!

So glad you like the sound of the choir! I put a few more performances (none of them is perfect but okay live performances) on my site for your listening pleasure:

Water Night (Eric Whitacre): http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … rnight.mp3
    With a Lily in Your Hand (Eric Whitacre): http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … o/lily.mp3
    Sleep (Eric Whitacre): http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … /sleep.mp3
    Nachtreigen (Fanny Hensel): http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … reigen.mp3

Cheers,

mc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you Mikael, I'll give these a listen.

Good to see someone else who likes Rautavaara's work. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Steven wrote

I actually thought my reply would sound like more convincing praise than if I'd said 'wonderful!', which is usually the kind of posts that result when someone posts their work. I like it as much as you do, I just express that differently. It's a very good piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Very fine work, Michael! And of course, something named the Haga Motet MUST be good! (for those who don't know, Haga is my last name).

Speaking of which, what do you think of SÃ…SOM I HIMMELEN? I attended (and talked to) Stefan Nilsson during a lecture he held here in Oslo some months ago, and he showed the final choral performance on the screen. People were crying left and right, that's how moving it was!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Simply beautiful, Mikael.

I can't say anything more than that. Beautiful.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Wow, haven't listened yet as i am off to bed and can't play anything 'cause i'll wake up the one who's occupying half of it as we speak, but all the comments above really got me anxious to hear that! I know Mikael's output in general is very good and i am really curious to hear that too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

I actually thought my reply would sound like more convincing praise than if I'd said 'wonderful!', which is usually the kind of posts that result when someone posts their work. I like it as much as you do, I just express that differently. It's a very good piece.

You think too much.
  4. I have been accused of it (religious matters excluded, of course). I don't think it's that bad a fault.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think it's that bad a fault.

Steven, this is the proof he doesn't think the whole time.
    Kazoo
  5. Unfortunately the demise of my last relationship is the proof I don't think all the time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think it's that bad a fault.

Steven, this is the proof he doesn't think the whole time.

I think you just created a paradox. shocked

We should think about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
    Mikael, i listened to the piece once in the morning as i was in a hurry and i absolutely loved it!

I'd better say it blew me away 'cause you know me, big fan of melodic and somewhat melancholic listens, especially choral / string adagios.

Speaking of which, i really liked the adagio nature / form of the piece, the climax in the middle, and how it begins Arvo Part like (although more direct and not as minimal) with a sacred tone and ethereal harmonies and later shifts entirely, especially during its 2nd half with the different voices entering with the same melody in turn, one after another, all building up. Generally, there has been done a very good job regarding the different entraces of the voices and the general harmony / balance in the between-them relations.

Excellent, i am really impressed; I'll give it more and more listens and if you ask me, keep doing it mate, stick to it. Reason? Well, not so many people do it, it's really difficult and takes a lot of charisma and musicianship you seem to possess and most importantly - you do it really good, i have to say that it stands out way more than the paradigms of orchestral film music I've heard from you, not meaning to diminish the latter's value or importance in any case, just comparing.

Your choral music has distinct character and spirit, it shows and it's pretty rare if you ask me.

Have any other recorded choral works to share?

Cheers
    D
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, is that its sound or did you deliberately drop the quality in order to post online? 'Cause if it is, it's a pretty bad recording. Next time bring more microphones and place them over the choir plus a stereophonic system located in the centre and much higher than the others, still aiming slightly downwards too though, so you can capture the natural reverberations of the hall (esp. if it's in a church or something). Mics close to and over the choir will you give much more clarity and it won't be so distant and shallow and the extra stereophonic system will give you depth and natural reverb, crucial for this kind of slow, adagio-like choral music.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    Demetris - thank you so much for your wonderful comments. Your words really trigger me to continue down this path... I actually agree with you about the choral music vs "orchestral" film music I've done: choral music is really what I want to do! I haven't found enough inspiration to write a single good orchestral film music demo piece for over a year and have devoted all time to choral writing. It really brings out another, personal voice in me.

There is another piece available, which I believe you've heard before: http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … kymmer.mp3 (this is with a different choir)

Regarding the recording: yes this is unfortunately the original quality. But there will be more recordings of this piece, and I am actually planning to do an album in the near future. That would, of course, be a top notch recording in terms of quality and performance - totally different process than a live recording of a concert performance! There is much more music, I have written some ten pieces in the past 18 months and there is more coming up...

Again, thank you so much for the very kind words!!!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    Mikael, i'll check out the other piece and i'll also try to restore the sound to the one you have a bit, will tell you what i did smile

Keep it up!

D
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mikael, i'll check out the other piece and i'll also try to restore the sound to the one you have a bit, will tell you what i did smile

Keep it up!

D

Mikael (and everyone) here's what i could do with "Nocturne" granted that the sound recording on location is not good. Let me know what you think smile

MIKAEL CARLSSON - Nocturne (enhanced sound)

http://users.auth.gr/dichrist/Nocturne_enhanced2.mp3
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    Thanks for your work, Demetris. Interesting! I can hear that you added a little reverb and that there is more treble (which brings out more of the full spectrum but also gives some spikey sounds, in particular the letter "s", which is the only thing I don't fancy).

Did you do any overdubbing? No?

Also you managed to get rid of some of the compression flutter, which is the biggest mystery... how did you do that?

I can tell you that I really look forward to doing a top-notch professional recording of my music some day (next year hopefully)!!!

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    Beautiful piece! Quite impressive! Keep writing... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote

Which sound version you liked best? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Which sound version you liked best? wink

Yours, of course, Demetris. LOL wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moviescore wrote

I can tell you that I really look forward to doing a top-notch professional recording of my music some day (next year hopefully)!!!

Count me in, even remotely wink
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Wishing you all a Happy Christmas I invite you to listen to my latest choral piece which was premiered recently here in Gothenburg: "O Magnum Mysterium". Let me know what you think!

http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … magnum.mp3

All the best,

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    Wishing you all a Happy Christmas I invite you to listen to my latest choral piece which was premiered recently here in Gothenburg: "O Magnum Mysterium". Let me know what you think!

http://www.moviescoremedia.com/mikaelca … magnum.mp3

All the best,

mc

I think Zimmer could have done a better job! biggrin

wink

In all seriousness, that is a wonderful piece. So professional too!? Belongs on any Christmasy playlist.