• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008 edited
    There's a distinctly western theme to this game - all the clips are related to the genre of westerns. For each clip you get 1 point for the movie and 1 point for the composer. No bonus clip this time, so with 20 clips in total there's 40 points up for grabs.

As usual, submit guesses to me via PM and I'll probably leave the game up until sometime during the weekend. And I expect there to be some high scoring in this selection.

General clues

The 20 clips are arranged in chronological order and there are 2 years that feature 2 scores. There are a few composers that have featured quite heavily in scoring western films, so one composer features 4 times, one features 3 times and another features twice.

The clips span 54 years and there's a definite bias towards older scores (they just don't make as many westerns these days) - and, in fact, one decade doesn't feature at all.

With Bregt now preferring to use external links rather than hosting them himself, I hope this link is the one that I need to include in order for people to access the clips:

https://download.yousendit.com/52CE4E2910453340

If not then try this: http://www.maintitles.net/music/gts/alan/westerns.zip

For future games, let me know if the yousendit.com link works okay.

I'll leave the clips to speak for themselves for at least 24 hours whilst I put together some individual clues for those who need them.

Enjoy!!

Hints

#01 - A composer who was Oscar-nominated 22 times but was destined to never win when he was alive. The original score (recorded in stereo) has yet to receive a CD release. Music cues for the film's climax are from an earlier film.

#02 - From a European composer who turned his hand several times to this genre, his score was Oscar-nominated. Movie stars an iconic actor who was killed shortly before the movie's release.

#03 - This isn't the very recognisable main theme but the hypnotic and rhythmic music for the "baddie". Only an Oscar-nominated score!! Another well-known composer was a member of the orchesta for this movie.

#04 - One of the true icons of the western stars in this movie (he features in several of the movies listed here). And it's scored by another western icon. One of my favourite western themes. The original score was released back in 1999.

#05 - This composer died in 1997, mostly forgotten by the movie profession. But his career is littered with numerous achievements - writing for bandleader Tommy Dorsey, orchestrating several Gershwin songs as well as writing/orchestrating music for several musicals. This is another theme that I regularly revisit time and time again.

#06 - No one should need any clues for the composer. But deciding which movie this is may be more tricky!

#07 - A remake for a well-known movie, the clip features the first appearance here of a much-loved composer.

#08 - Has this composer ever written a western theme that isn't memorable? He was Oscar-nominated for Best Original Song (lyrics from Don Black). A spot-on re-recording of this score was released in 2006.

#09 - Movie features a first-class director/lead actor combo as well as a lead actor/composer that gave rise to several top-quality scores. Again, no clues required for the composer.

#10 - A western where the line between the good guys and bad guys is a bit fuzzy! This uncompromising composer was Oscar-nominated three times (two for westerns, though this was not one of them).

#11 - From all accounts not a particularly good example of the genre, but a good, early example of how this composer can rise to the occasion regardless of the on-screen inspiration. Another theme that never outstays it's welcome when on "repeat".

#12 - This would turn out to be the final outing for a major star of the Hollywood western. And it's a film that had so many resonances with real-life at the time of its making. The composer serves up an appropriately understated score (for the most part).

#13 - We take a bit of a leap forward in time for this one. And I'm always surprised that Tom Selleck's moustached face isn't staring back out at me when I look at the cover of this CD. A score that I can't really see the appeal for, it received an expanded re-release recently.

#14 - Quality theme! Quality composer! Four naughty ladies!!

#15 - An Oscar-nominated movie but not for this popular score from a respected composer who was still, at the time, a few years away from making a big splash in film music circles.

#16 - Overshadowed this year by one of this composer's Mega-scores, this movie features another naughty lady.

#17 - I think I've featured clips from this TV western in a previous game, but hey! It's a great theme! Composed by an Oscar-winning composer, a significant proportion of his work had been for TV productions. And, at last, a Tom Selleck TV western. (But that won't narrow the field that much.)

#18 - I wasn't sure this was a western - but it says so on imdb.com so it must be true. Canadian-born, the composer of this score sometimes shares composing duties with a close relative!

#19 - A recent remake of a classic movie about a famous siege. From a composer who's credits also include being a movie model-maker!

#20 - An Oscar-nominated score from a composer with a very distinctive sound. This clip isn't available on the commercial CD release. But it should still present little trouble for most.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008
    *nod*
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Olright!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A wonderful set of clips. Listening from start to finish is great fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Link works, I'll give them a listen later on. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
    Western... brrr... I like that genre, but there is so much to know and they are all so similar and... yeah, okay, I´ll try.... biggrin

EDIT: After the first listen, I think it might be up to eight points. *shudder*
  1. I'll put up some clues tomorrow. I seem to have spend hours putting together the clues I have already. I hate doing hints!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    Great clips! I didn't recognize that many though, but I love discovering new stuff.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote

With Bregt now preferring to use external links rather than hosting them himself, I hope this link is the one that I need to include in order for people to access the clips:

For future games, let me know if the yousendit.com link works okay.

Just listened to them last night and it's an excellent set of clips. wave Yes, they do play nicely in sequence.

Yousendit is fine for now but the link expires after 7 days. So it's always nice to have them uploaded in Maintitles (perhaps a low quality version to save space) for the sake of those that might chance upon this thread later.
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    I've added some hints - see original post.

First couple of players:

Thomas - 14
    Bregt - 10

wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    I'll have a try too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Yousendit is fine for now but the link expires after 7 days. So it's always nice to have them uploaded in Maintitles (perhaps a low quality version to save space) for the sake of those that might chance upon this thread later.

(Maybe Bregt you could clarify things but) I got the impression that Bregt was a bit reluctant to host these clips (copyright issues in his fair country?) and so something like YouSendIt was the viable option. Maybe the 7-day limit may just have to dictate the length of the games?
  3. Submitted my guesses. Without your clues, I only know a few of these. So, yes, your clues do help, a lot. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Not sure how many I recognize, some are familiar but I'd have to do some research to know what exactly they are...

But all that aside: this is a great set of clips and a very good listen all the way through. I have the playlist on repeat for half an hour now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

(Maybe Bregt you could clarify things but) I got the impression that Bregt was a bit reluctant to host these clips (copyright issues in his fair country?) and so something like YouSendIt was the viable option. Maybe the 7-day limit may just have to dictate the length of the games?

Yeah, we got talked about that recently. But something like sendspace.com hosts longer than two weeks I think. But no problems so far. wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sent some answers! smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008 edited
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Submitted my guesses. Without your clues, I only know a few of these. So, yes, your clues do help, a lot. beer

Yes, they did!!

Update:

Ranietz - 30 points
    The Grey Pilgrim - 23 points
    Timmer - 21
    Thomas - 17
    Bregt - 10
    Demetris - 6
  4. Thomas adds a few more to his score, there's a few more members taking part, after a short time at the top of the leaderboard The Grey Pilgrim is overtaken by Ranietz...oh, and Demetris props everyone up!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas adds a few more to his score, there's a few more members taking part, after a short time at the top of the leaderboard The Grey Pilgrim is overtaken by Ranietz...oh, and Demetris props everyone up!

Go D punk
    •  
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008 edited
    Another update:

Southall - 39
    The Grey Pilgrim - 31
    Ranietz - 30
    Timmer - 21
    Thomas - 17
    antineutrino - 17
    Bregt - 10
    Demetris - 6

James enters in at number one - it would have been a full-house except for a basic slip-up! And it could be a crucial mistake as I see I have another set of suggestions from Ranietz...

The Grey Pilgrim adds a few points and antineutrino makes a solid start.
    •  
    Worth a separate post...Ranietz's second set of guesses means that he reaches the finishing line first:

Ranietz - 40 punk
    Southall - 39 crazy
    The Grey Pilgrim - 31
    Timmer - 21
    Thomas - 17
    antineutrino - 17
    Bregt - 10
    Demetris - 6

Would anyone care to join Ranietz?
  5. I will have to let a second game in a row pass me by. At the moment I'm spending a lot of time at a film festival, and the brain is beyond film or music. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
    Update:

Ranietz - 40
    Southall - 40

The Grey Pilgrim - 31
    plindboe - 30
    Timmer - 21
    Thomas - 17
    antineutrino - 17
    Bregt - 10
    Demetris - 6

Peter gets all his suggestions correct for a good solid entry!!

I'll probably keep this one going until the yousendit.com hosting expires. Monday or Tuesday?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    Whoah! I will give this a shot tonight but kudos to those super performances, Ranietz especially! beer
  6. FINAL SCORES

BhelPuri - 40
    Ranietz - 40
    Southall - 40
    The Grey Pilgrim - 31
    plindboe - 30
    Timmer - 21
    Thomas - 17
    antineutrino - 17
    Bregt - 10
    Demetris - 6

I'm bringing this game to a close with BhelPuri's flawless set of guesses. Three (regular top-flight) players end up on full marks. Congratulations to them!! I put BhelPuri on top of the list 'cause of his 100% guesses on the first set of suggestions.

And the answers?

01 - Shane (4) - Victor Young (6)
    02 - Giant (4) - Dmitri Tiomkin (6)
    03 - The Magnificent Seven (8) - Elmer Bernstein (8)
    04 - The Comancheros (7) - Elmer Bernstein (8)
    05 - Ride The High Country (4) - George Bassman (4)
    06 - For A Few Dollars More (7) - Ennio Morricone (9)
    07 - Stagecoach (5) - Jerry Goldsmith (5)
    08 - True Grit (8) - Elmer Bernstein (8)
    09 - Two Mules For Sister Sara (8) - Ennio Morricone (9)
    10 - Lawman (3) - Jerry Fielding (5)
    11 - Take A Hard Ride (5) - Jerry Goldsmith (5)
    12 - The Shootist (5) - Elmer Bernstein (5)
    13 - Tombstone (5) - Bruce Broughton (5)
    14 - Bad Girls (7) - Jerry Goldsmith (8)
    15 - Wyatt Earp (8) - James Newton Howard (8)
    16 - The Quick and The Dead (7) - Alan Silvestri (8)
    17 - Last Stand At Saber River (5) - David Shire (5)
    18 - Ride With The Devil (9) - Mychael Danna (9)
    19 - The Alamo (8) - Carter Burwell (8)
    20 - 3:10 To Yuma (9) - Marco Beltrami (9)

Thanks to everyone who took part. Anyone else have a set to post?

BTW, I have the other 20 western scores ready for Part 2 sometime soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote

06 - For A Few Dollars More (7) - Ennio Morricone (9)

I cannot believe that I got this score wrong on my first set of guesses. Otherwise I'd have done a BhelPuri. I've listened to that score more than all the other ones on the list added together, I could hum the whole 17-minute album from start to finish, yet I still managed to get it wrong (but correctly identified four scores I've never heard at all).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    Thanks for a good game! smile

I wouldn't have got some of them if not for the generous clues (5, 11, 17-19).
    On the other hand the clue for Tiomkin threw me off. I would associate him with Hollywood even if he was originally from Russia.

It's cool that Alan's games always make me check out more FSM cds. I'll buy them later but for now SAE's samples with do.
  7. BhelPuri wrote
    I wouldn't have got some of them if not for the generous clues (5, 11, 17-19).

I hate doing clues - I never know whether they are at the right level to give hints rather than giving out easy answers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I hate doing clues - I never know whether they are at the right level to give hints rather than giving out easy answers.

Exactly!

FalkirkBairn wrote Anyone else have a set to post?

BTW, I have the other 20 western scores ready for Part 2 sometime soon!

If you have it ready then go ahead. If not, then I can try to put something up tonight.
  8. I'd rather someone else have a go: to take a break from more western clips.