• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008 edited
    She has scored her first Australian film called Playing for Charlie.

http://www.playingforcharlie.com/pressrelease01.html

PLAYING FOR CHARLIE is a poignant exploration of a teenage boy (beautifully played by Melbourne actor Jared Daparis) struggling to build a future for his family. It’s a coming of age story that defies all the clichés of the genre and discovers some powerful truths about following your dream and finding your courage in an imperfect way.

Writer, Director Pene Patrick’s debut feature creates a complex picture of a family trying to come to terms with each other in the wake of a husband and father’s death and introduces a unique new sensibility into Australian film.

This is the first Australian feature film that Gerrard has composed the music for.

Gerrard’s wonderfully unpredictable score leads us deep into the character’s emotional centre and is evocative of the mysterious ancient life that resonates within us all.

She said from her home in Victoria, Australia.

“I believe this film is a great insight into the teenage life of a young man. And it’s not something that is addressed enough in the cinema. We tend to always look toward sexuality or love relationships when in fact this is a psychosis. PLAYING FOR CHARLIE is a look at the deeper, inner material, or tissue, if you like, of a young man, a young adolescent man and how fragile and sensitive he is and he is insecure about all the other factors in his life, except for one driving force… that was the first thing that inspired me…”

PLAYING FOR CHARLIE paints a very different picture of growing up and doing it tough, and brings integrity to youthful dreams.

“ Where does this come from – this desire to be accurate with the ball or be a player, a team player or be someone that is impassioned by seeing a ball go through two goal posts? It takes us back to a thousand years. And so with the score I wanted to herald those ancient unspoken properties that are at the origin of this behaviour. So that we can remember that there is integrity in these things”.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Oh yeah, she also worked with Klaus Schulze on an album called Farscape... I really don't like this one bit. This what happens when you mix the most beautiful voice in the world with the most hideous electronical garbage!

You can listen to some samples at myspace:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =354288328
  1. According the the official website of the upcoming film "Romans 12:20", the score is being done by:

Pieter Bourke
    Patrick Cassidy
    Lisa Gerrard
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    According the the official website of the upcoming film "Romans 12:20", the score is being done by:

Pieter Bourke
    Patrick Cassidy
    Lisa Gerrard

Mmmm...could be interesting. IF they don't let LISA GERRARD do her usual wailing stuff over and over again.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2008
    Bourke, Cassidy and Gerrard! Oh man, I like it already. Let Gerrard do her usual things and as happy as can be wink
  2. Gerrard lists on his website that she has scored three films:

"Playing For Charlie" (hear some on: http://www.playingforcharlie.com)
    "Ichi" (Japanese film)
    "Defector" ("cold war documentary"; fascinating)

She is also in talks to score another Australian film later this year (name not mentioned), and IMDB has her down for another film as well.

Six films. She's been a busy gal, hasn't she?

(all three are already recorded)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Why wouldn't she? I imagine the endless gigabytes of identical wailings she must have stored in her hard disks. Open Pro Tools, import audio files, chop chop a bit, here you have another new Gerrard score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why wouldn't she? I imagine the endless gigabytes of identical wailings she must have stored in her hard disks. Open Pro Tools, import audio files, chop chop a bit, here you have another new Gerrard score.

Ha ha.. I kinda agree..! It's hard to make up an opinion of Lisa Gerrard.. one one hand she's a bit of a one-trick-pony..but on the other very talented. I bought her documentary 'sanctuary' a while ago, and to be honest it annoyed me watching it. She seemed to over-intellectualize her craft and her style a lot.. although Harry Gregson William's interview was full of praise and he made her out to be a bit of a genius in the way she creates music through her vocals and can sing the exact same cues sound for sound wail for wail as though it is a musical language of her own..
    I don't really know.. i like some of her stuff.. others of it can be a it much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HGW said that? Oh wow, it must be true tongue
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    Identical wailing? Ok, so she does a lot of wailing, even in the same style, but identical? I need proof!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same variations of same chord procession and style all the time mate. Listen to her solo albums, you could switch tracks in between albums and you'd never suspect anything changed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    Joep wrote
    Identical wailing? Ok, so she does a lot of wailing, even in the same style, but identical? I need proof!

yeh.. that's what he said..good ol' Harry.... I'll see if I can get the interview onto youtube or get a transcript or something.
  3. You should listen to some of the older Dead Can Dance stuff. It´s a bit more versatile and listenable than her solo work. At least that´s what I think.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    I've just finished listening to the Klaus Schulze collaboration album called Farscape. I already knew this was not going to be good by the samples on youtube, but it's really about 2 hours and 30 minutes of torture. Why did she do this? It's as silly as her collaboration with Orbital or the remix of Now We Are Free angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Heh. I don't want to sound bitchy mate, but really, tell me one REALLY good thing she's ever done after the DEAD CAN DANCE stuff (Which btw i can't stand but a lot of people seem to worship them for reasons beyond my understanding so i won't argue on something i just don't get) besides the gorgeous WHALE RIDER and her bits in Zimmer's works.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Well, your probably expecting to get a example of something completely different than she's done before or better. But hey, I don't think any answer will satisfy you. And that's no problem. But I do feel her best track ever was made after her DCD period; Sacrifice from Duality (with Pieter Bourke).
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    Shane D wrote
    Joep wrote

yeh.. that's what he said..good ol' Harry.... I'll see if I can get the interview onto youtube or get a transcript or something.

I've finally got around to doing it..

I've uploaded parts of the interview with Hans and HGW that talk about the 'double taking' as he calls it. I can upload more of it for you if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8gvEavYYFI
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Yeah, thanks but I have all the interview footage. But perhaps others might like seeing more of it.

In first place I responded to Demetris who criticized her wailing. So my response whas not about not believing she could sing the same piece over and over again wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008 edited
    iCHI (PRE-ORDER) (CD)
    Lisa Gerrard

Soundtrack from the Samurai Action movie ICHI starring Haruka Ayase.

1. THE PATH AHEAD
    2. LOVE THEME FROM ICHI
    3. THE WIND AND THE GOZE
    4. ICHI'S MEMORY
    5. RESISTANCE
    6. BANKI
    7. ICHI'S LANTERN
    8. TOUMA'S STORY
    9. AM I NOT WORTHY
    10. ENDLESS TRAGEDY
    11. NEVER SURRENDER
    12. THE MEMORY OF THE GOZE
    13. CHARGE
    14. FINAL BATTLE
    15. COURAGE
    16. SHOWDOWN
    17. LAMENT
    18. I WILL NEVER FORGIVE
    19. LOVE THEME FROM ICHI(INSTRUMENTAL)
    20. THE PATH AHEAD(INSTRUMENTAL)
    21. WILL-MOVIE EDIT-/ SUNMIN

CD COVER / INFO

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10723
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008
    ICHI

SOUND SAMPLES

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10723
  4. I saw ICHI on the shelf in Tower Records in Tokyo last week. I should have listened to the sample headphones!

Christodoulides wrote
    Heh. I don't want to sound bitchy mate, but really, tell me one REALLY good thing she's ever done after the DEAD CAN DANCE stuff (Which btw i can't stand but a lot of people seem to worship them for reasons beyond my understanding so i won't argue on something i just don't get) besides the gorgeous WHALE RIDER and her bits in Zimmer's works.

I thought her music for THE INSIDER, which comes from her Pieter Bourke album, was a revelation. Sure, it wasn't written for the film, but it was re-arranged and re-recorded to fit the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008
    Along with Santaolalla, Revell, Bourke....
  5. Well yes, but obviously I know which pieces she was involved in, and still managed to be impressed. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. The previously un-named Australian film I mentioned earlier, is "Solo".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Anyone heard ICHI yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012
    Samsara

She's co-composing with someone i never heard before. Forgetting his name.

Looks like 2012's KOYAANISQATSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp967YAA … ure=relmfu

What do you think?
  7. She recorded that score with Michael Stearns back in late 2010/early 2011 -- somebody she's worked with before.

I' m not sure what Marcello De Francisci's involvement is.
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    On a related note, anyone going to any of the Dead Can Dance reunion shows? I'd love to (and what I've heard of the new album is really great), but the closest one is Philly (6 hour drive or so), and it's a little too pricey. DCD were a huge influence on me and I love most of the stuff they've put out over the years.

As for Gerrard's score work, I love what she did for Gladiator with Zimmer. Other than that, nothing has really hit me.

Samsara, interestingly enough, is directed by the cinematographer from Koyaanisqatsi! He also directed Baraka, which Samsara is a sequel to. Fantastic film, and great use of Dead Can Dance's music. I had originally discovered that film because of the music, which led me to Koyaanisqatsi (and the other Qatsi films). Funny how these connections and discoveries are made!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    I loved Gladiator too but i find the rest of the work-body very tedious and compeltely uninspired. Some stuff is untalented as well. I thought they lack money now and though about the reboot of Dead Can Dance. Something that belongs to another era, imo.
  8. JoshL wrote
    On a related note, anyone going to any of the Dead Can Dance reunion shows?

I am in love of Lisa's voice since the 80s when I heard her on the Dead Can Dance albums. I had never had the change before to see them live. I will go to their concert in september, in my home country , so a little but further 6 hours drive wink
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)