• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    New release from Intrada (so I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss it or not) - his 1983 Oscar-nominated Cross Creek

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5 … egory=-101

I'll be getting this.
  1. As will I. I must also get JURIIJ from Rosenman.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looking on the FSM board I see that Beneath The Planet Of The Apes is nearly sold out.

Oddly enough I picked this up for 5 quid in a small record shop on Gloucester Road ( James will know ) a couple years back.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. There's nothing like a "nearly sold out" notice to shift this last few copies and clear those shelves!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Yes, I probably would have put off buying it a little longer if I hadn't seen that 'now or never!' sign. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yes, I probably would have put off buying it a little longer if I hadn't seen that 'now or never!' sign. wink

It's good! Though I wouldn't have got it if I hadn't found it by accident for cheap!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    With remarkable timing as ever, I finally wrote the review I've been putting off for three years on the day the CD sold out.
  4. It's good to be able to run a review site that way - writing about what you want to, rather than what release schedules dictate. The thing is, if you're not employed to write this stuff by a publication dependent on the advertising income, it's not about pushing the product (though that's an aspect of it), it's about expressing your feelings about it.

Oops, slipped into preaching mode. And to the converted too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    James (or any reviewer), do you ever find that if you were/are sent review copies (in the days that review copies were given out like sweets) and you didn't review the CD then the label was more reluctant to send you subsequent CDs?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    James (or any reviewer), do you ever find that if you were/are sent review copies (in the days that review copies were given out like sweets) and you didn't review the CD then the label was more reluctant to send you subsequent CDs?

In some cases. Even with the considerably more limited supply of promos around today, I still don't have time to review them all. I think the labels (those that bother to check) understand that, and it would be difficult for me to keep going otherwise - a review site which only reviews the promos I get sent wouldn't be very interesting for me to do, and wouldn't be very interesting for anyone to read, I think.
  5. I found the people most resilient in sending promos are those most in need of any review that would recommend the music. The big labels - Varese, Decca, Sony, etc - ALWAYS had to be reminded. What was quite rare at Film Music on the Web was that we were sent FSM cds, which is pretty rare.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    Anyone read the interview with Rosenman on the FSM board?

I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead but the man really talks shit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Anyone read the interview with Rosenman on the FSM board?

I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead but the man really talks shit!

Why is that?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    Leonard Rosenman - Speaking about the first Robocop

I thought the score [by Basil Poledouris] for the first film was so absolutely dreadful. There was no sense of the orchestra, no sense of drama. It was just a dopey, lousy score and it just didn't work.

I'm not a fan of Poledouris. The end credits, which is the best opportunity for any composer, was just pasted together. My end title is a real piece of music, and the middle part is something very different from most film scores.

Among other things.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/article … _Seven.asp
  6. Hm... let me think about it... how often did I listen to RoboCop compared to RoboCop 2...?

100 : 1? 1.000 : 1? I don´t know... the fact is, this man talks shit. I love his Lord if the Rings score, but everything else I´ve heard from him was a painful experience in many ways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    David wrote
    Leonard Rosenman - Speaking about the first Robocop

I thought the score [by Basil Poledouris] for the first film was so absolutely dreadful. There was no sense of the orchestra, no sense of drama. It was just a dopey, lousy score and it just didn't work.

I'm not a fan of Poledouris. The end credits, which is the best opportunity for any composer, was just pasted together. My end title is a real piece of music, and the middle part is something very different from most film scores.

Among other things.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/article … _Seven.asp

shocked rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I referenced that article many times.
    It completely dropped my esteem for Rosenman (whom until that time I only knew -and loved- for his Lord Of The Rings score) to zero.
    To disagree with a certain musical direction or to disapprove of a certain choice, sure, but to be as blatantly unprofessional and blasé about a particular piece of music that is universally praised by fans and critics alike and that fits the action on-screen to a -t- smacks like snobbery at best and envy at worst.
    Ugh.
    A really, really nasty piece of work.
    I've seen fans on internet forum behave better!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ring any Horner-on-the-new-world bells? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ring any Horner-on-the-new-world bells? wink

....TROY anyone? rolleyes
  7. I think if you think of yourself as a classical composer who dabbles in film (and this is undoubtedly what Rosenman liked to think of himself as), then Poledouris's score probably isn't that impressive, and possibly compositionally anonymous. Rosenman's sharp words are well at home in the world of modern classical sniping, where Cage can call Braca a 'fascist' for using electric guitars, Boulez can vocally hiss-and-boo at a Stravinsky work for its neoclassical indulgences, Alex Ross can moon Horner's plagiarism from his column, and all-and-sundry can mock Shostakovich's symphonies till the cows come home.

The reason why most people here struggle with the level of criticism is partly because few film composers are prepared to express their thoughts so readily, so this kind of lambasting seems unprofessional. John Williams probably has some pretty harsh judgements stored up in him that he doesn't voice. Film composers generally wouldn't speak out because they're one of the least 'untouchable' elements of a film's crew. Directors and actors can afford to be arrogant, but name composers are still very easily replaced. Only those who are righteously outraged (Yared, Adorno and Eisler, Danna) or who perceive themselves as untouchable (Goldsmith, Horner, Barry, Herrmann) ever dare to publicly attack others. And all of the latter have many more fans than Rosenman does now.

That lack of fans might be the other reason Rosenman's remarks outrage many. If this were Poledouris speaking of Rosenman's score, would anyone take issue with the remarks? (Of course not, because you'd agree.) And if ROBOCOP II were a more popular score, let's just say there'd be fewer objections to R's remarks in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jeez, I've never understood this. Most interviews with film composers are the most banal, pointless things ever, as they just throw out meaningless platitudes and soundbites which are of no interest to anyone. And yet the moment they actually say anything interesting, everyone jumps down their throats. I just don't get it.

(And for the record, now that Rosenman's dead I may be the only person in the world who thinks Robocop 2 is a superior score to Robocop.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited
    That's bollocks, Michael, and I think you know it.
    This is NOT a composer spurned or someone who had his score replaced or who is criticizing from the side lines: this is the follow-up composer in a franchise who blatantly slags his predecesssor off in the nastiest way. Had a more "popular" composer done the same, I would have been as disgusted (though indeed probably far more disappointed as indeed I have no emotional stake in Rosenmann, whom I have no preconceived notions about as far as his character goes. Something I do -right or wrong- with composers whose music I actuallly care about.).

The thing I find most stinging is not attacking a fellow-composer, or not thinking well of him (heck, everyone may have an opinion, however stupid) but suggesting that he, as the successor, will do a much better job. "Now watch the MASTER at work!".
    That's the sort of blithering arrogance you better back up by huge deeds -which he didn't-, or which will get you in a lot of people's bad books, regardless of your opinions of either composer.

Southall wrote:And yet the moment they actually say anything interesting, everyone jumps down their throats. I just don't get it.

Let me put it very simply for you then:
    Interesting = good
    Arrogant, vain and stypid = bad

(And for the record, now that Rosenman's dead I may be the only person in the world who thinks Robocop 2 is a superior score to Robocop.)

Can't argue with you there: you are.
    wink
    However a preference for either score is completely besides the point.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with Martijn. Horner, for example, is one of my top three film composers, but I've read some pretty snobbish remarks from Horner, and I can't say I was impressed by them. Regardless of who says it, if it's a stupid remark, then it's a stupid remark. Even Goldsmith made some nasty remarks if I remember correctly? I don't think I've ever heard Williams speak bad of any composer though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If it's bashing that amuses you, there exist reality shows for that and crappy Tv. We don't need to hear it from musicians, artists and composers of their magnitude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ......however i wonder if he had lived today and said those very things about Zimmer...what would the reactions be wink Or if anyone else today talked in that manner, openly about Zimmer heh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    If it's bashing that amuses you, there exist reality shows for that and crappy Tv. We don't need to hear it from musicians, artists and composers of their magnitude.

??? It's hardly amusing, it's just someone saying his opinion, and his opinion is no less valid than anyone else's. He didn't say "Poledouris is an idiot because his score for Robocop wasn't very good", he just said "his score for Robocop wasn't very good" and there's a huge difference. I'd much rather someone said their mind than just say the PC thing because that's what everyone else does.

Goldsmith said very similar things about Zimmer's music at a concert I attended in London.

Agree with them or not, surely it's better they speak their mind than churn out the same dull stuff that most of them do in interviews (which is perfectly understandable, by the way, it's just less interesting).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, if a composer just concentrates on his work and talks about that alone instead of bad-mouthing his colleagues, then it's a dull interview? I can see your point but i am just trying to understand it in full.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I don't think anyone is necessarily upset that Rosenman spoke his mind, it's the way in which he said it -- in a condescending, petty way. Constructive criticism is not only more helpful, it's also more civil than saying, you're score is "dopey and lousy" and mine is "a real piece of music".

As someone who works in a creative profession, I am always happy to hear why people don't like my work -- if they are polite about it and offer me suggestions that will help me improve. I have no use for blind, arrogant criticism. Its only accomplishment is inflating the ego of whoever spoke it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David wrote
    I don't think anyone is necessarily upset that Rosenman spoke his mind, it's the way in which he said it -- in a condescending, petty way. Constructive criticism is not only more helpful, it's also more civil than saying, you're score is "dopey and lousy" and mine is "a real piece of music".

As someone who works in a creative profession, I am always happy to hear why people don't like my work -- if they are polite about it and offer me suggestions that will help me improve. I have no use for blind, arrogant criticism. Its only accomplishment is inflating the ego of whoever spoke it.

True, there's a long way from offering creative, civilized criticism from unloading your complexes and troubled ego on another person's work.