• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    Not particularly excited by the clips, but it has to be something there that justifies a 70+ minutes release of the score....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I just decided not to comment any further, but to lean back and just watch the show. biggrin

Until the actual release, of course. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, so much for anticipation. slant Thank GOD for Giacchino.

Oh, yeah, Speed Racer was a brilliant masterpiece, unlike the borefests Da Vinci Code and At World's End. Why's that Zimmer guy still composing, actually?

Mate, i wouldn't even go into comparing Giacchino's writing with Zimmer's - no matter how much I enjoy the latter's music - 'cause its childish and pointless.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh, yeah, Speed Racer was a brilliant masterpiece, unlike the borefests Da Vinci Code and At World's End. Why's that Zimmer guy still composing, actually?

Mate, i wouldn't even go into comparing Giacchino's writing with Zimmer's - no matter how much I enjoy the latter's music - 'cause its childish and pointless.

biggrin

Maybe 'childish' is a little harsh, but yeah, Giacchino is a better composer than Zimmer. As artists it's hard to say, Zimmer's a damn fine artist... but then so is Giacchino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

biggrin

Maybe 'childish' is a little harsh, but yeah, Giacchino is a better composer than Zimmer. As artists it's hard to say, Zimmer's a damn fine artist... but then so is Giacchino.

IMHO they're both unique in their own ways. Blame me, but I enjoy both their works equally in different ways, I don't feel one is superior or anything. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    From firstshowing.net:

Last weekend I had the wonderful honor of meeting both Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard in person at their studio in Santa Monica. The two talented composers are teaming up again to bring us the score to The Dark Knight, a movie I know many are looking forward to this July. If you've seen any of the trailers for the film, you'll instantly recognize the iconic score that has so brilliantly become the sound of this new Batman. When I say that Batman Begins is my all-time favorite score, that is no understatement. The soundtrack is always near the top of my playlist and I typically listen to it almost every night, so you can understand why it was such an honor to meet these two. Let's just say that their work on The Dark Knight should not be overlooked - Zimmer and Howard have promised one hell of an incredible score!

Ouch. He needs to listen to more scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    From firstshowing.net:

Last weekend I had the wonderful honor of meeting both Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard in person at their studio in Santa Monica. The two talented composers are teaming up again to bring us the score to The Dark Knight, a movie I know many are looking forward to this July. If you've seen any of the trailers for the film, you'll instantly recognize the iconic score that has so brilliantly become the sound of this new Batman. When I say that Batman Begins is my all-time favorite score, that is no understatement. The soundtrack is always near the top of my playlist and I typically listen to it almost every night, so you can understand why it was such an honor to meet these two. Let's just say that their work on The Dark Knight should not be overlooked - Zimmer and Howard have promised one hell of an incredible score!

"The soundtrack is always near the top of my playlist and I typically listen to it almost every night" rolleyes slant Sweet dreams buddy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote

"The soundtrack is always near the top of my playlist and I typically listen to it almost every night" rolleyes slant Sweet dreams buddy

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    come on guys... why comparing two totally different composers???? Each has their talent for sure. Otherwise they would'nt be in the place they are in right now. I enjoy good Filmmusic and that's as much of gladiator, matchstick men, lion king as it is alias, ratatouille or the Incredibles. I'm curious how 'The dark Knight' will turn out for me. 'Batman Begins' isn't my fav' score of the composers involved, but i can enjoy it nonetheless! so let's just say what we're at.

grtz, Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Joris wrote
    come on guys... why comparing two totally different composers????

Maybe for that exact reason? They're two different composers. Two separate entities if you will.

My point is you can compare two composers, 'similiar' and 'different' alike. You can compare the approaches they take to certain genres, you can compare the way they structure their music, the direction they take it under certain circumstances. Why shouldn't we compare composers? Tchaikovsky and Jablonsky (only sharing a similarity in names wink) are "two totally different composers", but can we not say that one [was] vastly better than the other?

Pehaps it is just opinion, but my opinion is that JNH is a much more intelligent composer than Zimmer. And does that make him a "better" composer? Yes, I think it does. Does it make him a "better" artist? No. That's up to the listener to decide, and in my opinion I think they're about equal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Batman Begins is easily the best score ever written by Hans-James Newton Zimmer-Howard.

And you cannot compare any other composer to Hans-James´ genius. It´s as if he was two guys in one!

All that remains is the question whether The Dark Knight will be better than Batman Begins or not.

My guess: Better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    Ralph,

I totally NOT agree. Sure, i think Zimmer- Newton Howard are a GREAT match. Zimmer delivers the action stuff, N-Howard the more subtle emotional stuff. But to say that no one can be compared with the genius of these 2guys??? come on! They are fine in there own right, but there are probably a LOT of composers far more brilliant that these two guys. But then again... they all serve there purpose. I really like these guys, but I know they are others guys out there that just are better.

Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oooh I dunno, JNH is a bloody talented composer capable of a lot more than most. So I doubt there are a "LOT" of composers "far more brilliant" than JNH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Guys, I was just joking; a sudden outburst of nonsense while faced with the ongoing discussion - again - whether Batman Begins is a piece of crap, a nice piece of crap, a so so score, a good score, a great score, or a masterpiece.

Personally, I judge a score by the replays I give it. And BB got more replays from me than any other score in the last years. That doesn´t mean it´s a masterpiece, just that it gets me going, gives me fun, the goosebumps, the creeps, it rocks, it´s tense, it´s the perfect collaboration between two very great composers who usually do very different things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Guys, I was just joking..

Yuh, I got that... wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    dgoldwas wrote
    Award-winning composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard have teamed up once again to score the highly anticipated sequel, The Dark Knight. They last collaborated on 2005's Batman Begins, and this time, things are much darker. SoundtrackNet talks with these two powerhouse composers about their approach to writing music for what will be one of the biggest films of the year.

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=256

Enjoy!
    Kazoo
  2. Very last question. Did your composing roles as "Batman" and "Robin" stick or did you switch it up this time?

JNH: [laughs] No. Nothing sticks. Hans is my captain.

HZ: I'm what?

JNH: My captain...

HZ: Oh no, I'm Catwoman. Wanna see my claws babe?

JNH: Hey, what happened to Robin anyway?

lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    That's what you get when you're high wink Let's hope they weren't high during the composition sessions too wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    Bregt wrote
    dgoldwas wrote
    Award-winning composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard have teamed up once again to score the highly anticipated sequel, The Dark Knight. They last collaborated on 2005's Batman Begins, and this time, things are much darker. SoundtrackNet talks with these two powerhouse composers about their approach to writing music for what will be one of the biggest films of the year.

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=256

Enjoy!

Nice!.. Does anyone know if there will be a podcast of this? or even what has happened to Soundtrack.net podcasts.. there hasn't been one on from Dan for ages...
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    Shane D wrote
    Nice!.. Does anyone know if there will be a podcast of this? or even what has happened to Soundtrack.net podcasts.. there hasn't been one on from Dan for ages...

There will be no podcast of this; the recording quality does not lend itself to public broadcast. And there hasn't been one for ages because I stopped doing them - sorry!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    Great interview! I´m even more looking forward to this one now. And the eternal question about a big theme was finally answered. I don´t know what to think. Of course I would have loved to hear a full-fledged theme, but I can see where they are coming from, and personally, I find the score to be quite thematic in its rhythm; I just would have loved to see you guys more pleased with the second one, but now I don´t see that happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    dgoldwas wrote
    Shane D wrote

There will be no podcast of this; the recording quality does not lend itself to public broadcast. And there hasn't been one for ages because I stopped doing them - sorry!

Hey dan - No worries at all! Thanks for the interview anyway... and a huge thanks for all the podcasts too. they are awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    Well, i noticed that some folks think that Zimmer is bloody arrogant. I think that's not te case. He just has a special way of humour I think. More European than American on that account for sure! And I think that James and Hans had a great time doing this. Because after all said and done, they know what they're doing! And we love them for that right? smile

grtz, Jojo aka Robin ( don't tell anyone cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Joris wrote
    And we love them for that right? smile

:raises hand:

I do! biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Get a room tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    you're paying? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Joris wrote
    Well, i noticed that some folks think that Zimmer is bloody arrogant. I think that's not te case. He just has a special way of humour I think. More European than American on that account for sure! And I think that James and Hans had a great time doing this. Because after all said and done, they know what they're doing! And we love them for that right? smile

grtz, Jojo aka Robin ( don't tell anyone cool

One of the reasons why i love Zimmer is for his personality. I think he has a friend who always is there! (Please leave the jokes with his underlings tongue )

Anyway, I meet him in Madrid and I even talked with him 10 minutes (it is in youube) and He seems a really cool, but weird guy!

Talking about The Dark Knight....I feel a little bit Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz with the clips. Im not very emotioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Anyway, I meet him in Madrid and I even talked with him 10 minutes (it is in youube) and He seems a really cool, but weird guy!

You met him! Wow, lucky you, man! wink I wish I could meet him one day too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've always said say what you will about his music and his company, but the guy is one of the most charismatic and likable composers out there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I've always said say what you will about his music and his company, but the guy is one of the most charismatic and likable composers out there!

beer