• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    He is certainly a very important composer no doubt. Even if you don't like his work... But you can't listen to any modern soundtrack today and think of Zimmer's influence. Scores like 'The Rock' - although except the brilliant theme not so memorable on it's own - changed filmmusic scoring totally. And I think that is his foremost achievement.

Heil Hans punk

Maximus Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's fun and cool indeed, we had dinner with him as Soncinemad organizing committee of SONCINEMAD in Madrid, Spain in 2006 and you can safely say he's the spirit of the company.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joris wrote
    He is certainly a very important composer no doubt. Even if you don't like his work... But you can't listen to any modern soundtrack today and think of Zimmer's influence. Scores like 'The Rock' - although except the brilliant theme not so memorable on it's own - changed filmmusic scoring totally. And I think that is his foremost achievement.

Heil Hans punk

Maximus Jojo

I know people who aren't too happy about that achievement wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote

There sure are a lot of them! lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

There sure are a lot of them! lol

Count me as one of them.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

Count me as one of them.

-Erik-

Really? You don't like Hans Zimmer? How come?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Counted rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Count me as one of them.

-Erik-

Really? You don't like Hans Zimmer? How come?

Why not ask that to someone who has a "Hans Zimmer Death Watch" posted on his website? rolleyes vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I have to admit, The Rock was one of the first scores I listened to and it probably had a big influence on my decision to begin collecting film scores. However, this opportunity opened up a world of much better music which I now greatly prefer to listen to. I don't listen to The Rock as much as I used to but it still remains a guilty pleasure.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Counted rolleyes wink

And there are many, many more... wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Counted rolleyes wink

-Erik-

Oh there are, believe me, and it's becoming something of a fashion to be labeled a "Zimmer hater" slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Counted rolleyes wink

-Erik-

Oh there are, believe me, and it's becoming something of a fashion to be labeled a "Zimmer hater" slant

It's not a club. "Zimmer haters"have very valid reasons for not liking his junk!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's not a club. "Zimmer haters"have very valid reasons for not liking his junk!

Not all of them tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Not all of them tongue

You have to remember that most of the "hate" comes because of the way his working methods and his underlings have come to dominate virtually the whole of blockbuster Hollywood film scoring and not actually because of his own scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Not all of them tongue

You have to remember that most of the "hate" comes because of the way his working methods and his underlings have come to dominate virtually the whole of blockbuster Hollywood film scoring and not actually because of his own scores.

True. Though I don't have a problem with that, I don't have anything against anyone who does. What gets me mad is when some people behave as though he's some personal foe who murdered their wives and children and needlessly abuse not only him but, in one chatroom I also saw a person hurling remarks at his family ( vomit ) and I detest that. If they don't like the man's methods or music they can just leave him alone! I will call that "jealousy" and nothing more or less.

Shall we now get this thread back on topic? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Not all of them tongue

That's one reason!

-Erik-

PS - I will have to repeat this... I do like some of his work... and there are a few Zimmer scores that I consider to be some of the all time best. But like James said his working method irritates me, the Zimmer sound that has come to dominate blockbuster films irritates me, his overall "sound" irritates me, his dumbing down of film music as a whole irritates me, etc, etc, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    I will have to repeat this... I do like some of his work... and there are a few Zimmer scores that I consider to be some of the all time best. But like James said his working method irritates me, the Zimmer sound that has come to dominate blockbuster films irritates me, his overall "sound" irritates me, his dumbing down of film music as a whole irritates me, etc, etc, etc.

Whatever... that's all our personal opinions. As long as there's no flaming etc I don't mind.

As far as TDK is concerned, I'm looking out more for JNH's stuff than Zimmer's stuff this time! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    What gets me mad is when some people behave as though he's some personal foe who murdered their wives and children and needlessly abuse not only him but, in one chatroom I also saw a person hurling remarks at his family ( vomit ) and I detest that.

Well, Zimmer is murdering film music and since I consider my non-Zimmer CD's to be my children then I can see where that guy was coming from. wink

Kidding of course.... about the guys comments that is. Zimmer murdering film music is still valid.

Anyway... back on topic. Just how much is this new Batman score going to suck?! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Shall we now get this thread back on topic? smile

In a moment!

DemonStar wrote
    If they don't like the man's methods or music they can just leave him alone!

Isn't this the problem though - they can't. He's everywhere, more than half of all films releaed today that gross over $75m are scored by him or someone associated with him, almost always in a very similar style. There isn't an option to leave him alone. Obviously what you described is unacceptable, but I understand why he attracts as much attention as he does - there is simply no getting away from him, and it's as a result of him that standards in film music (in the eyes of the "haters") have become so low.

But we've talked about this so many times before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    PS - I will have to repeat this... I do like some of his work... and there are a few Zimmer scores that I consider to be some of the all time best. But like James said his working method irritates me, the Zimmer sound that has come to dominate blockbuster films irritates me, his overall "sound" irritates me, his dumbing down of film music as a whole irritates me, etc, etc, etc.

The above was written by Erik Woods but could equally have been written by James Southall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    Zimmer murdering film music is still valid.

As a final comment, I disagree...mostly. Agree... for some of the synth stuff. Period. wink

I don't think TDK will suck, in fact I feel it's gonna do a Kung Fu Panda again! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

The above was written by Erik Woods but could equally have been written by James Southall.

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm deliberately abstaining from TDK clips so I can listen to it in a go later. Patience is not really in my blood but I've learned its result is sweet! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm deliberately abstaining from TDK clips so I can listen to it in a go later. Patience is not really in my blood but I've learned its result is sweet! biggrin

You've heard Batman Begins, right? I'd say the sequel is much more of the same.... unless Zimmer pulls a At World's End on us or hands over the scoring reigns to Elfman or Goldenthal.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

You've heard Batman Begins, right? I'd say the sequel is much more of the same.... unless Zimmer pulls a At World's End on us or hands over the scoring reigns to Elfman or Goldenthal.

I dunno if he will (I doubt), but I for one felt Batman Begins was perfect for the movie, and enjoyed the score a lot. Just my opinion, anyway. I guess we'll see what's it's like after we've listened to it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Elfman? Goldenthal? Now that would be boooooring! These two TOGETHER haven´t done anything special / interesting / original / decent in recent years (two of the most overrated composers ever).
    Oh wait, there´s that action masterpiece from Goldenthal, SWAT vomit Oh oh, wait, theres that other great action work by Elfman, The Kingdom! vomit
    It´s always funny to watch reactions from Zimmer haters; even funnier when nobody has listened the work they are bashing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Marselus wrote
    It´s always funny to watch reactions from Zimmer haters; even funnier when nobody has listened the work they are bashing.

LOL lol
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    When Superhero Hype! posted the audio clips for TDK soundtrack (which were subsequently removed by the WB), some of the posters remarked that some of the clips were reminscent of Shirley Walker's Batman: Mask of the Phantasm score or Elfman's first Batman score. I'm sure they needed to have their ears cleaned, though.

I haven't personally heard these clips, but I'd rather wait for the movie to hear the score in context (or wait for the LE score to arrive on my doorstep). The movie itself will rock, but I doubt the score itself will be as good.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Matt C wrote
    The movie itself will rock, but I doubt the score itself will be as good.

Everyone said that for Shore's LoTR before they heard it themselves...

I'm not comparing Shore's work to this in ANY WAY, but my humble point is that we cannot really tell before we hear the actual score ourselves. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Elfman? Goldenthal? Now that would be boooooring! These two TOGETHER haven´t done anything special / interesting / original / decent in recent years.
    Oh wait, there´s that action masterpiece from Goldenthal, SWAT vomit Oh oh, wait, theres that other great action work by Elfman, The Kingdom! vomit

So you are basing Elfman and Goldenthal's talent on their recent scores? How well... ignorant.

I was referring to their superior scores to the other Batman films. BTW, SWAT was pretty freaking good. It's a mean, nasty, ferocious score that went well above and beyond the crappy film. It's an enormous score filled with Goldenthal's trademark sound infused with a 1970's sensibility.

-Erik-