• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

As for "watch the world burn", why would i add it mate? Go on, replay it; it's pure drone.

I find it more dramatic than "Am I not Merciful?". The end of the track with the strings and the violin are touching.

But IMHO, nothing in TDK tops Am I Not Merciful? That is a Zimmer classic!! spin

that's comming from a guy who compare the chorus in Am I not merciful? with LOTR dizzy biggrin wink

Why, sir, can't you hear any similarity between it and, say, the Wraiths On Wings track from TTT Complete Recordings? I said it was similar to the Nazgul music, I didn't compare it in anyway to LoTR as a whole (to which it cannot stand upto in any way). wink

I can post clips if you want to hear yourself... and no track in TDK comes even close to Am I Not Merciful? IMO, like Demetris said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    DemonStar wrote

I can post clips if you want to hear yourself... and no track in TDK comes even close to Am I Not Merciful? IMO, like Demetris said.

No...You boh are right no track from TDK even close to Gladiator.. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am listening to Beowulf and yesterday was playing JUDGE DREDD. Now imagine Silvestri on the batman films wink

I came pretty close to doing a Silvestri/Tumbler run version but then I stumbled upon Chris Young music and decided to do a Young version instead. But I think Silvestri would be a very interesting idea... especially his trademark action style.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Silvestri on Batman??? the reason that Nolan picked Zimmer & Newton Howard was to give Batman a completely new and fresh make-over. Watch Batman Begins and you know what i'm talking about. I think they are perfect for this films. Silvestri would be a total mis-cast for this film although his style would've fit the Joël Schumacher kitsch.

The only question remains if 'The Dark Knight' is a good score on CD? Personally I liked the variations and thematically additions. But if you take out all the better stuff from 'Batman Begins' than I think it's a bit on the pale side. No doubt that this music will do wonders in the film!!

Off to Elfman & Goldenthal again! smile
    Jo-Jo face
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Joris wrote
    Silvestri on Batman??? the reason that Nolan picked Zimmer & Newton Howard was to give Batman a completely new and fresh make-over. Watch Batman Begins and you know what i'm talking about. I think they are perfect for this films. Silvestri would be a total mis-cast for this film although his style would've fit the Joël Schumacher kitsch.

I find it funny that you would think that Silvestri would just deliver something in a Back to The Future or The Mummy Returns style. Silvestri has worked on darker films (Beowulf) and I think we would have delivered something darker, appropriate but far more orchestral to satisfy people like me and also satisfy Nolan's demands. And do you really think that Zimmer and JNH's score was "fresh" and "new?" Maybe for the Batman series... sure... but to me felt like Zimmer on autopilot. But, I've beat this to argument to death. shame

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    No, but come on. There's a reason why Zimmer get's certain assignments and Silvestri other ( not to say a bit lower profiled projects ). So Silvestri has his style and it suits there cause as with Zimmer. I'm confident that Nolan would've disliked anything Silvestri would've done ( Watch memento and you know he is more of a atmospheric arty director. As far away possible of blockbuster no brainers Silvestri scores so often: beowulf, van Helsing etc.. ). So all good composers but in there own right. But again, If this score works as good in the film as 'Batman Begins' did, than both composers did a hell of a job again.

Grtz, Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Joris wrote
    No, but come on. There's a reason why Zimmer get's certain assignments and Silvestri other ( not to say a bit lower profiled projects ). So Silvestri has his style and it suits there cause as with Zimmer. I'm confident that Nolan would've disliked anything Silvestri would've done ( Watch memento and you know he is more of a atmospheric arty director. As far away possible of blockbuster no brainers Silvestri scores so often: beowulf, van Helsing etc.. ). So all good composers but in there own right. But again, If this score works as good in the film as 'Batman Begins' did, than both composers did a hell of a job again.

Silvestri is goddamn good at atmosphere is well. Some might disagree with me solely on a listening experience on CD but the atmospheric writing in The Abyss was absolutely perfect... far from the bombast and blockbuster no brainer music you speak of. Again, Silvestri has the ability to - as to most great composers - change up styles and adapted to the film they are working on.

Now, you might be right, Silvestri might not have been the right person for the job - we'll never know - but I do think that there are scores of his that would fit the new Batman - with a few tweaks here and there.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    you have a point there. Abyss is very atmospheric indeed! One might forget the composers exceptions on there well known style...

Tweaking Jojo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Joris wrote

Silvestri is goddamn good at atmosphere is well. Some might disagree with me solely on a listening experience on CD but the atmospheric writing in The Abyss was absolutely perfect... far from the bombast and blockbuster no brainer music you speak of. Again, Silvestri has the ability to - as to most great composers - change up styles and adapted to the film they are working on.

Now, you might be right, Silvestri might not have been the right person for the job - we'll never know - but I do think that there are scores of his that would fit the new Batman - with a few tweaks here and there.

-Erik-

Spot on! I really like Silvestri's atmospheric writing which often stands up as a listen on album away from the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm interested what sound Silvestri gives to G.I Joe...

Eraser? rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm interested what sound Silvestri gives to G.I Joe...

Eraser? rolleyes wink

Just listen to the latest FSM Podcast for a "sneak peak." biggrin wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Alan Silvestri did a good score to a comic book movie a while back. It was called Judge Dredd. Very melodic, very brassy, and lots of thundering orchestral passages. It was great, for Judge Dredd, and might have been even suitable for any of the pre-Nolan Batman incarnation, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Alan Silvestri did a good score to a comic book movie a while back. It was called Judge Dredd. Very melodic, very brassy, and lots of thundering orchestral passages. It was great, for Judge Dredd, and might have been even suitable for any of the pre-Nolan Batman incarnation, too.

Agreed! It fits the camp of Judge Dreed perfectly.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

Indeed, that score is a winner and definitely one of my all-time favorite Silvestri scores.

Maybe Erik can put some Judge Dredd and Beowulf on Batman Begins just shut some mouths? wink kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Maybe Erik can put some Judge Dredd and Beowulf on Batman Begins just shut some mouths? wink kiss

Or opening up a whole new can of worms. Or, maybe the same can of worms.

:worms:

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

I'd put some of his darker stuff, like What Lies Beneath.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Hmmm interesting...good observation. Although it was TOO long ago and i was scared shitless when i watched the movie (don't laugh, i was a teenager heh) to actually actually remember the score, i recall some gripping instances and - if i am not mistaken, an intense climax and finale?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Hmmm interesting...good observation. Although it was TOO long ago and i was scared shitless when i watched the movie (don't laugh, i was a teenager heh) to actually actually remember the score, i recall some gripping instances and - if i am not mistaken, an intense climax and finale?

What Lies Beneath is a mediocre film at best, stay with the memories D and don't revisit.
  1. How about Final Fantasy? The Goldenthal work? Heavily intense, Gothic and dark. I don't think some cues from that score would go overboard in this Batman.

Definitely not the Burton/Schumacher works.

When it comes to Zimmer scores which would work better, I'd be crazy and try Cameroon Border Post
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

What Lies Beneath is a mediocre film at best, stay with the memories D and don't revisit.

And what about the score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    What lies beneath is a Bernard Herrmann rip, no doubt! So I don't think Nolan was looking for second best.

But the Goldenthal discussion is an interesting one. I could'nt help noticing when Zimmer releases the electric guitars on Gotham, that Goldenthal's score to S.W.A.T could've had a great effect on those moments as well! yeah, I think that Goldenthal would've done a GREAT job here! Would be interesting to see what he would do if another director asked him to do the same action hero in a different musical genre! Now THAT would be interesting to compare would'nt it! :p

grtz, Elli-jo-jo -t
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    Oops, I Did It Again!

BATMAN BEGINS REDUX | TREVOR JONES | 45.4 MB
    "You Have The Power" from DARK CITY
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/bb_redux_jones.mp4

I wanted to do one with Silvestri but when I heard this track on my iPod yesterday I wanted to add it into the Tumbler Chase first.

-Erik-

PS - This is fun!
  2. Erik, have you heard Dark Knight? It's on iTunes already and I've been wondering about one thing.

The theme in Like Dogs Chasing Cars is the rejected anthem Zimmer wrote for Batman and Nolan rejected in Part One if he is to believed (I believe Nolan rejected a theme, Zimmer said he featured it twice in The Dark Knight and there is a theme that appears in I'm Not a Hero in a dying out fashion and Like Dogs Chasing Cars).

I wonder how IT would work in Molossus.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik, have you heard Dark Knight?

I don't have it yet... but I will see what I can do about adding it in when I do get it.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

And what about the score?

I don't have the score but from what I remember Joris is spot on. I remember thinking it was good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    I've listened to the score many, many times 'till now and i stick to the playlist i posted a couple of days back. I took everything else out so i could finally enjoy what's in there and i came to the conclusion that "Like Dogs Chasing Cars " is one of the most impressive and addictive large-scale pieces Zimmer has ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I've listened to the score many, many times 'till now and i stick to the playlist i posted a couple of days back. I took everything else out so i could finally enjoy what's in there and i came to the conclusion that "Like Dogs Chasing Cars " is one of the most impressive and addictive large-scale pieces Zimmer has ever written.

Yup... IMHO it is even better than Molossus from the BB score.

And BTW, it is "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is, far better. And to think that i actually adore "Molossus".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    car chase music is Zimmer's forté after all. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik, have you heard Dark Knight? It's on iTunes already and I've been wondering about one thing.

The theme in Like Dogs Chasing Cars is the rejected anthem Zimmer wrote for Batman and Nolan rejected in Part One if he is to believed (I believe Nolan rejected a theme, Zimmer said he featured it twice in The Dark Knight and there is a theme that appears in I'm Not a Hero in a dying out fashion and Like Dogs Chasing Cars).

I wonder how IT would work in Molossus.

No, The rejected theme from BB is what appeard in the End credits from BB, and In molossus.

I guess when zimmer says it appears twice he is talking about the movie (because the heroic theme from " like a Dog..." appears more than twice in the soundtrack. Do you remember " a Dark Knight??" so it's three...and counting...

anyway , "like a Dog..", " a little annarchy " and " I thought my jokes were bad" beer punk