• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    NP : KING KONG - John Barry

Dare I say this is The best King Kong score?

A film that got a far better score than the film deserved Barry gave this turkey a heart it never had. Superb! cool

The only shame is that FSM were not able to release it in complete form.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Better than Steiner's?
    shocked

I sense we are on the verge of an argument...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My favourite is obvious, right? No need to say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmmm, Independence Day?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures (game score) - Knut Avenstroup Haugen

More Brian Tyler than Basil, but so far it's not bad! Not bad at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Better than Steiner's?
    shocked

I sense we are on the verge of an argument...

Hmmmmm? Okay! ( no argument wink )

THE best listen and of course....IMO smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Stardust!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spiderman 2 - Danny Elfman

The best score out of the three, IMHO. The action cues are superb, as well as the romance theme. Pity they didn't use his amazing train fight cue... tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Have you heard Barry's score Steven? Something tells me that even if you haven't that listening to it wouldn't change your mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Have you heard Barry's score Steven? Something tells me that even if you haven't that listening to it wouldn't change your mind.

Well, considering I prefer JNH's style to Barry's (and Steiner's), no I don't think it would change my mind. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Thief Of Baghdad - *Milkos Rozsa*

Kewler than kewl punk
  1. Barry obviously wrote a fantastic score, but his style is too different from JNH´s to really compare them. I guess I will always favour JNH´s version, just because I love his music more, but Barry´s is a great one without any doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    King Kong JNH

Rather than talk about it, I wanted to listen to it. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Barry obviously wrote a fantastic score, but his style is too different from JNH´s to really compare them. I guess I will always favour JNH´s version, just because I love his music more, but Barry´s is a great one without any doubt.

Really, me too. JNH's Ann-Kong relationship theme was astounding and truly left me mesmerised when I listened to it. I love the track Central Park above all. And the action cues are superb too.

There are some cool cues missing though, mostly the action material in the middle of the movie. I wonder if they'll do an expanded version sometime...
  2. DemonStar wrote
    JNH's Ann-Kong relationship theme was astounding and truly left me mesmerised when I listened to it. I love the track Central Park above all.

I tell you what... somehow Kong´s grim and not exactly even-sided (?) face reminded me of my granddad. In his later years, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer and, although we tried very hard to be there for him as much as we could, he spent a lot of his time just sitting in a chair at the window, looking out, watching, waiting, waiting for something to happen that wouldn´t. When his condition became even worse, he started getting aggressive outbursts, and I remember the old man trying, desperately, to fight those men he thought to be strangers and enemies... at last he fell, and not only did that fall break his bones, but his willpower, his life, his soul. He spend his last two or three days in a bed in the hospital, doing nothing else than staring out of the window, into the sun... and then he died. Well, when I saw Kong, I recognized my granddad in his face, in his loneliness with no friends, his way to stare at the sun, knowing that his last days were running like water through his hands... and then you may well understand why that theme by JNH made me well up at more than one occasion. He wrote a theme for my grandfather. And I can not thank him enough for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Thief Of Baghdad - Elmer Bernstein

Kewler than kewl punk

You have most excellent taste as it's one of the finest recordings in Bernstein's Film Music Collection, and one of my all-time favourite scores (and films), but the score was in fact written by the immortal Miklos Rozsa!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    JNH's Ann-Kong relationship theme was astounding and truly left me mesmerised when I listened to it. I love the track Central Park above all.

I tell you what... somehow Kong´s grim and not exactly even-sided (?) face reminded me of my granddad. In his later years, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer and, although we tried very hard to be there for him as much as we could, he spent a lot of his time just sitting in a chair at the window, looking out, watching, waiting, waiting for something to happen that wouldn´t. When his condition became even worse, he started getting aggressive outbursts, and I remember the old man trying, desperately, to fight those men he thought to be strangers and enemies... at last he fell, and not only did that fall break his bones, but his willpower, his life, his soul. He spend his last two or three days in a bed in the hospital, doing nothing else than staring out of the window, into the sun... and then he died. Well, when I saw Kong, I recognized my granddad in his face, in his loneliness with no friends, his way to stare at the sun, knowing that his last days were running like water through his hands... and then you may well understand why that theme by JNH made me well up at more than one occasion. He wrote a theme for my grandfather. And I can not thank him enough for that.

I'm so sorry, Ralph... I completely understand how you feel. I have learnt through experience that music is like the language of the soul which uses notes instead of words... I have associated some score cues with events of my school life, for example whenever I listened to "Fawkes The Phoenix" from HP & the CoS I remembered how I had to part with one of my best friends when he left the school, and I haven't been able to regain contact with him. This track just "pierces" inside me and makes me shed tears uncontrollably to such an extent that I'm actually avoiding listening to it much, even though I like it so much.

I sincerely pray may your grandad's soul rest in peace shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Thief Of Baghdad - Elmer Bernstein

Kewler than kewl punk

You have most excellent taste as it's one of the finest recordings in Bernstein's Film Music Collection, and one of my all-time favourite scores (and films), but the score was in fact written by the immortal Miklos Rozsa!

Thanks for pointing it out! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    I have learnt through experience that music is like the language of the soul which uses words instead of notes...

Um, you mean notes instead of words, right?
  3. DemonStar wrote
    I sincerely pray may your grandad's soul rest in peace shame

Thank you so much; I´m sure it does.

Thanks for sharing that Fawkes story. It is very easy to imagine how that track might stab you in the back, it really is as beautiful as it is sad. Williams, that bastard, he did the same thing with me with that "Window" track in Azcaban... so beautiful, so full of tragic...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I have learnt through experience that music is like the language of the soul which uses words instead of notes...

Um, you mean notes instead of words, right?

Yeah! My bad.... tongue

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It is very easy to imagine how that track might stab you in the back, it really is as beautiful as it is sad. Williams, that bastard, he did the same thing with me with that "Window" track in Azcaban... so beautiful, so full of tragic...

Really, yeah! That's why I find a kind of solace in instrumental orchestral music that I cannot in the new age rock/pop etc stuff...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DemonStar wrote

A very poignant and sad story Ralph, must have been a very hard time, I know because I've been through similar myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wasn't actually that sad when my Grandad died very recently, I was actually so happy he had a great life and he was such a happy person.

I don't believe for one second his 'soul is resting', I don't believe he's gone to heaven or any of that mumbo jumbo. I believe he has had his life, a good one at that, and now he is dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

All this talk of Kong...

The Kong/Ann love theme is truly mesmerising, in both Beautiful and Central Park. I like how they both work within their respective scenes with the former feeling warm against the gorgeous sunset in the film and the latter feeling much colder in the Winter setting. Both incredibly poignant, evoking a sense of romance that can never be. Lovely stuff.

cool
  4. Timmer wrote
    A very poignant and sad story Ralph, must have been a very hard time, I know because I've been through similar myself.

Well, it was hardest for my father, of course, since I never had that special relationship with my grandfather that many kids have, but it was hard enough. I never felt closer to him than in his final days, and I make myself think he was aware of that, and that helps.
  5. Steven wrote
    I wasn't actually that sad when my Grandad died very recently, I was actually so happy he had a great life and he was such a happy person.

I don't believe for one second his 'soul is resting', I don't believe he's gone to heaven or any of that mumbo jumbo. I believe he has had his life, a good one at that, and now he is dead.

I understand were you´re coming from; I´m not too optimistic regarding to the possibility of an afterlife as well, but if there is a heaven, I´m sure our people sit at a very large table and have the fun of their life playing cards together (or whatever). ^^
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

All this talk of Kong...

The Kong/Ann love theme is truly mesmerising, in both Beautiful and Central Park. I like how they both work within their respective scenes with the former feeling warm against the gorgeous sunset in the film and the latter feeling much colder in the Winter setting. Both incredibly poignant, evoking a sense of romance that can never be. Lovely stuff.

cool

"All this talk of Kong"......and out comes a good but very generic score! rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Really? I think it´s awesome if you think about how it came to pass...

I love its many themes, adventurous, classy action, drama, romance... and, well, that theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Really? I think it´s awesome if you think about how it came to pass...

I love its many themes, adventurous, classy action, drama, romance... and, well, that theme.

As I said, I think it's good! "awesome" is pushing it IMO and I'll save words like that for scores I feel truly deserve it, but you think it's awesome and that's you're perogative and I respect that.

I would still love to hear Howard Shore's effort.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Spiderman 2 - Danny Elfman

The best score out of the three, IMHO. The action cues are superb, as well as the romance theme. Pity they didn't use his amazing train fight cue... tongue

But do you agree that Chris Young's alternates that were used were better?