• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Eragon (Music from the Motion Picture) - Patrick Doyle

I love this soundtrack! biggrin

Favorite Tracks

1. Eragon
    3. Saphira's First Flight
    4. Ra'zac
    7. If You Were Flying
    11. Battle for Varden

Absolutely. I also feel Durza is a great villian track! cool

Oh, yeah, I forgot that one! I agree; that's a great villain track. I personally hold it up there with tracks like Davy Jones, Miraz Crowned, The Imperial March, The Kraken, etc. I'll edit my post to include it.

The Imperial March? Yeesh!

-Erik-

What?

I just find it odd that you would put a pretty ordinary bad guy motif up against a classic like The Imperial March. I understand that it is your opinion but yeesh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry

Talking of great vilain themes this has a great one, Mr Wint & Mr. Kidd, a creepy yet erotically sinister theme for the murdering gay duo. Barry's creative powers during this period were fabulous.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Eragon (Music from the Motion Picture) - Patrick Doyle

I love this soundtrack! biggrin

Favorite Tracks

1. Eragon
    3. Saphira's First Flight
    4. Ra'zac
    7. If You Were Flying
    11. Battle for Varden

Absolutely. I also feel Durza is a great villian track! cool

Oh, yeah, I forgot that one! I agree; that's a great villain track. I personally hold it up there with tracks like Davy Jones, Miraz Crowned, The Imperial March, The Kraken, etc. I'll edit my post to include it.

The Imperial March? Yeesh!

-Erik-

What?

I just find it odd that you would put a pretty ordinary bad guy motif up against a classic like The Imperial March. I understand that it is your opinion but yeesh!

-Erik-

Sorry, I know The Imperial March is a classic. I've loved it for many years, but Durza is also one of my more recent favorite bad guy tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

Be With You really is a powerful cue and quite possibly the only lengthy moment in the film where I could appreciate the score's marriage with the visuals.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of Silva's better Barry recordings, I adore this score, mesmerisingly beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    NP : RAISE THE TITANIC - John Barry

The best of Silva's Barry re-recordings, I can never thank them enough for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    Antineutrino wrote
    Steven wrote
    I've actually grown to like that one. wink I've just never seen the movie, so I have no idea how it works as a piece of film music.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0&fmt=6 cool

I watched this as soon as I read the link - it's such a great piece of music heard as a stand-alone piece and it's a great combination of music and visuals. But there was something odd about this clip.

The music is actually out of sync with the visuals - the music is slightly ahead. I suppose someone has laid over the top the cue from the CD? It means that some of the "hits" in the music don't quite hit the on-screen action.

This one has better synchronisation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twNPXskWdGg

As an aside, I know the SFX for this sequence very well. For years all I had was this very soundtrack lifted (recorded) straight off the TV.

...and while we're at it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ punk

Watch this second clip with the music removed. All that watching, staring - it seems to go on for ever and seems quite silly. But add the music back? shocked
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: L'amore Non Basta - Piernicola Di Muro

For me, this is one of the most beautiful releases of the year so far. It's not grand and it's not bombastic. In fact, it's rather intimately scored for a small string ensemble, acoustic guitar, piano and saxophone (I think).

It's quite melancholic in places but the score is peppered with more upbeat, rhythmic cues. The final cue "Tanto Ci Sono Io" is a 6-minute highlight (among many).

I believe that it is available on iTunes but I came across it at CD Baby.

Heartily recommended: http://cdbaby.com/cd/pdimuro (with clips)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: L'amore Non Basta - Piernicola Di Muro

For me, this is one of the most beautiful releases of the year so far. It's not grand and it's not bombastic. In fact, it's rather intimately scored for a small string ensemble, acoustic guitar, piano and saxophone (I think).

It's quite melancholic in places but the score is peppered with more upbeat, rhythmic cues. The final cue "Tanto Ci Sono Io" is a 6-minute highlight (among many).

I believe that it is available on iTunes but I came across it at CD Baby.

Heartily recommended: http://cdbaby.com/cd/pdimuro (with clips)

Thank you! This sounds interesting. For nearly 3 years I used to blindly check out current Italian scores from Intermezzo Media. There have been many precious finds and many frisbees. Ultimately it just got too expensive to play this game anymore (and thanks to the plummeting dollar). It's always nice to hear of new Italian score recommendations. punk
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Thank you! This sounds interesting. For nearly 3 years I used to blindly check out current Italian scores from Intermezzo Media. There have been many precious finds and many frisbees. Ultimately it just got too expensive to play this game anymore (and thanks to the plummeting dollar). It's always nice to hear of new Italian score recommendations. punk

I'd also recommend Di Muro's Dead In The Water. There is a link to some audio clips from this score at the bottom of the page of this interview with the director:

http://www.venturetracks.com/blog/archi … ry_32.html

I think that there are some clips of Piernicola's other projects at his site http://www.piernicoladimuro.com/

I remember meeting him at the first SONCINEMAD back in 2006 where I think he was trying to get some exposure with the composers who attended that year. He seemed quite a likeable person, eager to make his way in film composing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Shawshank Redemption Thomas Newman

There are just some scores, some pieces of music, that floor me. This is definitely one of them. The end titles track on this CD is one of the most beautiful, heartbreaking pieces of music I've ever heard.

This will no doubt remain my favourite Newman score and certainly one of my top 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Alatriste

A great mix of Spanish guitar, Gregorian Chants and Ethnic elements.

The 3 main themes are really gorgeous. From the heroic Alatriste to the touching love theme to the more Herrman oriented stuff for Angelica.

And then the action music...... beer

This score is running up in my all time favourites!

Next...

Marco Polo

I never have heard the whole thing. But the main theme is GORGEOUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - Ghost Rider

I should really play this more often punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - Ghost Rider

I should really play this more often punk

Although not as KICK ASS as THE CORE! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Sleeping Beauty - George Bruns

A very nice adaptation of Tchaikovsky's ballet. Combined with terrific tracks like Forbidden Mountain and Battle With The Forces Of Evil, this is a real treasure!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Da Vinci Code

Probably the best Zimmer score ever.

I still laught when people says it is not a thematic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote

Agreed! Dunno about best Zimmer score but the best Zimmer thematic score, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Agreed! Dunno about best Zimmer score but the best Zimmer thematic score, yes.

DA VINCI CODE is the last truly worthy and meaningful score by Zimmer as far i am concerned, with the exception of parts from AWE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

There are moments in this of pure beauty. Just outstanding.

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

smile

A top 5 Newman score IMO cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

smile

A top 5 Newman score IMO cool

Agree, AMERICAN BEAUTY, ROAD TO PERDITION, MEET JOE BLACK and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events would make my other 4 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (20th Anniversary Edition) - John Williams

My favorite score I currently own from Williams, I think. biggrin Pure awesomeness; the themes are brilliant and heartwarming, orchestration is incredible, etc. I especially love the end credits in this score; the piano solo is amazing! love

Favorite tracks:

3. Bait for E.T.
    13. The Magic of Halloween
    20. Escape / Chase / Saying Goodbye
    21. End Credits
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    AMERICAN BEAUTY

That's up next. I love how this score is a perfect blend of his percussive, quirky style and his more restrained, melancholy style. Angela Undress is just gorgeous but it's too short!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    AMERICAN BEAUTY

That's up next. I love how this score is a perfect blend of his percussive, quirky style and his more restrained, melancholy style. Angela Undress is just gorgeous but it's too short!

I was going to talk about that piece, it's one of my all time favorite Newman compositions but you're right, it's too short. On the other side though, it's so fragile and the melody is truly outstanding. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BASIL POLEDOURIS - Lonesome Dove

You simply don't hear such grace and beauty in any score, today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Alatriste

A great mix of Spanish guitar, Gregorian Chants and Ethnic elements.

The 3 main themes are really gorgeous. From the heroic Alatriste to the touching love theme to the more Herrman oriented stuff for Angelica.

And then the action music...... beer

This score is running up in my all time favourites!

Next...

Marco Polo

I never have heard the whole thing. But the main theme is GORGEOUS!

Alatriste is quite good actually, you're right. I was really impressed by Roque with this one as it was essentially a deviation from his standard Hermmann-esque writing into more direct, modern and Zimmer-ish paths but yet he managed to keep high levels of quality, melodic and thematic development throughout the entire score without sacrificing his own musical character. Very good work, sorry to hear the movie s*cked. I had it on my HD for a while but - i don't know why, i decided to delete it without viewing it.
  2. NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

Great stuff, as usual. I´m quite happy with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

I always say it but the closing two tracks make up one of the best finales James has ever written IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial - 20th Anniversary Edition - John Williams

My favorite score I currently own from Williams, I think. biggrin Pure awesomeness; the themes are brilliant and heartwarming, orchestration is incredible, etc. I especially love the end credits in this score; the piano solo is amazing! love

Favorite Tracks

3. Bait for E.T.
    13. The Magic of Halloween
    20. Escape / Chase / Saying Goodbye
    21. End Credits

Absolutely brilliant score, truly brilliant!

I still mostly prefer to play Williams re-recording of the score though, the one that was originally released. The same applies to Close Encounters. Still, it's great to be able to have a choice between album and original film tracks.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    GET SMART - Trevor Rabin

Some of the rock stuff is ok, and the odd track sounds like it's ripped from National Treasure (can't go wrong there), but some of the synthy stuff is really, really bad. vomit / smile