• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    NP : PAYCHECK - John Powell

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Scarlet Letter - John Barry

Swoon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    GET SMART - Trevor Rabin

Some of the rock stuff is ok, and the odd track sounds like it's ripped from National Treasure (can't go wrong there), but some of the synthy stuff is really, really bad. vomit / smile

yeap, This kind Of Texas Ranger- Titans-national Treasure sound is going too far in his style.

NP:you only live twice (Barry)

im not fan of barry, but this score is really at his best. A great main theme, hipnotic and realaxing barry esque stuff, and this quirky sound from the 50's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    with the exception of parts from AWE.

Wich parts do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extra Terrestrial - 20th Anniversary Edition - John Williams

My favorite score I currently own from Williams, I think. biggrin Pure awesomeness; the themes are brilliant and heartwarming, orchestration is incredible, etc. I especially love the end credits in this score; the piano solo is amazing! love

Favorite Tracks:

3. Bait for E.T.
    13. The Magic of Halloween
    20. Escape / Chase / Saying Goodbye
    21. End Credits

Absolutely brilliant score, truly brilliant!

I still mostly prefer to play Williams re-recording of the score though, the one that was originally released. The same applies to Close Encounters. Still, it's great to be able to have a choice between album and original film tracks.

Yeah, I know there are two versions, but I just got the full score album off iTunes, simply for that reason: it's the full score. biggrin I have, however, read several reviews which praise the original soundtrack album above the new full score album, but they are still minor complaints, and I think it's great to have the full score for only $11.99.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The Aviator - Howard Shore

The neo-baroque Icarus is my favourite cue of the decade thus far. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: The Aviator - Howard Shore

The neo-baroque Icarus is my favourite cue of the decade thus far. cool

vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Great Debaters - James Newton Howard and Peter Golub

A very soothing and pleasant score even if it isn't immediately striking. Good for a background listen. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nice score that one, should probably give it another listen soon... for now though:

The Water Horse
    James Newton Howard

Not original per se, but pulled off with so much style typical of this über-talented composer. A wonderful, thematic and, nearer the end, exciting score. His second best of this year IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Sand Pebbles - Jerry Goldsmith

Magnificent!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

cool

You Sir have taste. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

You Sir have taste. wink

Whereas with the Barry, the Williams, and all the rest of those old fogies weren't? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Peter Pan James Newton Howard

I'm just glad there's at least one person who appreciates this score as much as I do. I know most people are put off by mickey mousing, but get past that and there's some fantastic melodies to be had here. Great stuff.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    Steven wrote

I'm just glad there's at least one person who appreciates this score as much as I do. I know most people are put off by mickey mousing, but get past that and there's some fantastic melodies to be had here. Great stuff.

My only niggle is that it ends without a big finale or climax. Other than that, I love it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    GET SMART - Trevor Rabin

Some of the rock stuff is ok, and the odd track sounds like it's ripped from National Treasure (can't go wrong there), but some of the synthy stuff is really, really bad. vomit / smile

yeap, This kind Of Texas Ranger- Titans-national Treasure sound is going too far in his style.

The worst part is that his synth samples sound exactly the same as what Media Ventures were churning out 10 years ago. Come on man, get with the times! biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

My only niggle is that it ends without a big finale or climax. Other than that, I love it!

That is true, it's a bad end for the album to a great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I still mostly prefer to play Williams re-recording of the score though, the one that was originally released. The same applies to Close Encounters. Still, it's great to be able to have a choice between album and original film tracks.

Yeah, I know there are two versions.

Actually, there are THREE versions.

The first was the "re-recording" which was actually performed at the same recording sessions as the original recording. Then there is the first release of the original tracks in 1996 which contains the film version of the End Credits (which is a blown alternate take) And then there is the 20th anniversary edition which added three extra cues. Still, the first release - the re-recording - in the only release with the film version of the "Escape / Chase / Goodbye" cue.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

The first was the "re-recording" which was actually performed at the same recording sessions as the original recording. Then there is the first release of the original tracks in 1996 which contains the film version of the End Credits (which is a blown alternate take) And then there is the 20th anniversary edition which added three extra cues. Still, the first release - the re-recording - in the only release with the film version of the "Escape / Chase / Goodbye" cue.

-Erik-

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

Great stuff, as usual. I´m quite happy with it.

This is a score that gets a lot of playing time for me, to the point that it even i surprise myself! I enjoy it a lot.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    GET SMART - Trevor Rabin

The worst part is that his synth samples sound exactly the same as what Media Ventures were churning out 10 years ago. Come on man, get with the times! biggrin tongue

That is his (lazy) style, admittedly. What to do?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Nice score that one, should probably give it another listen soon... for now though:

The Water Horse
    James Newton Howard

Not original per se, but pulled off with so much style typical of this über-talented composer. A wonderful, thematic and, nearer the end, exciting score. His second best of this year IMO.

Agree, so much melody in that score, i really love it too; quite a pleasant listening experience it is indeed although nothing specially noticeable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

That is true, it's a bad end for the album to a great score.

Try taking the end credits suite from the DVD and adding it to the end of the score. There's nothing really NEW in the suite, but some of the cues are mixed differently (greater emphasis on choir in the part from Fairy Dance, for example) and its a much better ending!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson-Williams

One of my favorite recent soundtracks, though it does contain quite a bit of music from the first film's score. From what I've heard, David Arnold is set to compose the music for Narnia 3. I really can't wait to hear his rendition of Narnia, but Harry's scores will always hold a place in my heart.

Favorite tracks:

1. Prince Caspian Flees
    5. Raid On the Castle
    6. Miraz Crowned
    10. Battle At Aslan's How
    12. The Door In the Air
    13. The Call
    15. This Is Home
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

You Sir have taste. wink

Whereas with the Barry, the Williams, and all the rest of those old fogies weren't? biggrin

cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Having had the first album since it was on LP on it's release, that's the one I continually play, it flows perfectly and is a fantastic listen, I wholeheartedly recommend it! Far better IMO than the anniversary release though I certainly wouldn't part with that either.

Plays like a classical work....can't say better than that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    GET SMART - Trevor Rabin

NP:you only live twice (Barry)

im not fan of barry, but this score is really at his best. A great main theme, hipnotic and realaxing barry esque stuff, and this quirky sound from the 50's.

1960 's Jordi wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Having had the first album since it was on LP on it's release, that's the one I continually play, it flows perfectly and is a fantastic listen, I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Hmmm, I may check it out sometime.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Having had the first album since it was on LP on it's release, that's the one I continually play, it flows perfectly and is a fantastic listen, I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Hmmm, I may check it out sometime.

Please do! As a classical fan you'll not be disappointed.
  1. NP: The Escape Artist (Delerue)

A personal favourite. Have been playing it, Summer Story, A Man in Love and various other Delerue clips all morning.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A PATCH OF BLUE - Jerry Goldsmith

A lovely, gentle, bitter sweet score, perfect for this time.