• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    ^ although i suppose you're just fine with what i am playing now, REALLY LOUD? (i.e. SILVESTRI's CONTACT) ? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Carrington by Michael Nyman

Nice but a bit boring (after a while) classically inclined score. 6/10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ although i suppose you're just fine with what i am playing now, REALLY LOUD? (i.e. SILVESTRI's CONTACT) ? wink

If I can I play all my scores LOUD! And Contact has some pretty big cues that sound great turned up loud!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions Suites - Don Davis

After the Matrix comes suites from Angels in America, Birth, Blizzard and Sky Captain.

-Erik-

A wonderful collection of scores between those six. I might take BLIZZARD to work today.

BTW, isn't 'Navras' in an Indian language, not a Middle Eastern one?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions Suites - Don Davis

After the Matrix comes suites from Angels in America, Birth, Blizzard and Sky Captain.

-Erik-

A wonderful collection of scores between those six. I might take BLIZZARD to work today.

BTW, isn't 'Navras' in an Indian language, not a Middle Eastern one?

You are right! My bad...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008 edited
    NP: Cloverfield (Roar!) - Michael Giacchino

Incredible! punk biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PETULIA - John Barry

Versatile and creative score with some great jazzy tracks inbetween, motel is one of the most laid back lounge tracks you'll ever hear in film score'dom! cool ....just wish I had a glass of whiskey to go with it!? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Roar! (From "Cloverfield") - EP - Michael Giacchino

Incredible! punk biggrin

I thought you was playing Roar..Not Incredibles. confused biggrin

NP:The Last Samurai (Zimmer)
    I find this score more coherent, touching and equilibrate than other of his epic score. (Does anyone said Gladiator?)

Anyway there's a lot of this TTRL techniques making the notes looooooooooong, that sometimes it's a little bit annoying. The Synth in the action tracks doesn't help either....

But then... A WAY OF LIFE, IDILLY'S END, A HARD TEACHER, TO KNOW YOUR ENEMY!!!!

Sublime!!!!

My third favourite zimmer score ever!

1-At world's End
    2-The Da Vinci Code
    3-The Last Samurai.
    4-King Arthur
    5-Prince of Egypt.
    6-The Ring
    7-k2
    8-Beyond Rangoon
    9-Tears of the Sun
    10-The Holiday
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Blood & Chocolate - Heil & Klimek

Mmmmm...yeh... OK. <shrugs>
    Brings home the moody goods I guess, but nothing memorable at all.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:BackDraft (Zimmer)

For some reason I always had the feeling this score is more by Walker and some Zimmer's underling (Mancina?) than by Zimmer himself.I mean the orchestrations. The tunes and the composition are typical Zimmer, of course.

The last 4 tracks are simply tracks to die for. And it must be played in a every Zimmer concert!

Is this Zimmer best score for some people, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It is!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Played on the plane during take off...

...Flight From Peru from Raiders.

AWESOME. I suggest everyone give this a go when in a plane! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're on a plane?
    Like, right now?
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Eragon (game soundtrack - Eragon Game Theme) - Robb Mills

Pretty good piece of music! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Easily!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    You're on a plane?
    Like, right now?
    confused

No, at the hotel. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

For some reason I always had the feeling this score is more by Walker and some Zimmer's underling (Mancina?) than by Zimmer himself.I mean the orchestrations. The tunes and the composition are typical Zimmer, of course.

The last 4 tracks are simply tracks to die for. And it must be played in a every Zimmer concert!

It's up there! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Played on the plane during take off...

...Flight From Peru from Raiders.

AWESOME. I suggest everyone give this a go when in a plane! biggrin

Don't forget to tell D what plane you flew on in his Aircraft thread wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

I guess some people will be disappointed because Powell hasn't reinvent himself. wink I don't think it is necessary. He can't do any wrong with his action music. The last two tracks are the highlight of this score with a final rendition of the main theme. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas wrote
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

I guess some people will be disappointed because Powell hasn't reinvent himself. wink I don't think it is necessary. He can't do any wrong with his action music. The last two tracks are the highlight of this score with a final rendition of the main theme. cheesy

God damn right, if it works, why change it? He will continue to provide film music which he feels works for the movie... and he's pretty much never wrong in his approaches to the various genres he's scored. Can't say that I've ever heard a Powell score which didn't work well in the movie? Let's not forget the versatility Powell has shown over the years too, from Chicken Run to United 93, and Bourne to X-Men. Four very different genres that he's excelled at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Let's not forget the versatility Powell has shown over the years too, from Chicken Run to United 93, and Bourne to X-Men. Four very different genres that he's excelled at.

Agree.
    The key word here is versatility. A composer has not to reinvent himself in every score he writes (IMO). He has to prove he has versatility. And Powell has proven that in the past few years.
    Quoting Steven, "from Chicken Run to United 93, and Bourne to X-Men". I´d add from Face Off to Paycheck, and Stop Loss to P.S. I Love You.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Let's not forget the versatility Powell has shown over the years too, from Chicken Run to United 93, and Bourne to X-Men. Four very different genres that he's excelled at.

Agree.
    The key word here is versatility. A composer has not to reinvent himself in every score he writes (IMO). He has to prove he has versatility. And Powell has proven that in the past few years.
    Quoting Steven, "from Chicken Run to United 93, and Bourne to X-Men". I´d add from Face Off to Paycheck, and Stop Loss to P.S. I Love You.

Agree, although FACE/OFF is virtually unbearable wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

Agree.

Agree, although FACE/OFF is virtually unbearable wink

Hey, I love Face Off! tongue A score I loved since I watched the movie. Full of Media Venturisms in the action passages, sure, but there´s a couple of cues with a great string writing and some good dramatic tunes that immediately caught my attention. Was listening to those cues when I started following Powell´s career. Ohh, and the music for the opening sequence....was a gift to Powell, and he didn´t miss.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : L.A. CONFIDENTIAL - Jerry Goldsmith

Great stuff! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Shadow (Jerry Goldsmith)
    Not one of his more remembered scores but one I have to come back to from time to time. The main theme is simple but very addictive, and the action is the standard nineties Goldsmith action writing (the kinda action more developed in First Knight, The 13th Warrior or The Mummy), but very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Great stuff! cool

Timmer - Not sure if you and I have similar taste in film music but it seems that everytime you post in the NP thread you are always playing something that I like. No offense to anyone else here on the board, but I think you are the one I would choose to spend a day listen to film music with.

NP: Charles Gerhardt albums on shuffle

Just finished listening to...
    The Adventures of Don Juan (Steiner) <-- absolutely brilliant
    "Aria from Salammbo" from Citizen Kane <--- breathtaking
    "Parachute Drop" from Operation Burma <-- the only Waxman score that I never warmed up to

Coming Up...

"Suite" from Dark Victory (Max Steiner) <-- great orchestrations

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Great stuff! cool

Timmer - Not sure if you and I have similar taste in film music but it seems that everytime you post in the NP thread you are always playing something that I like. No offense to anyone else here on the board, but I think you are the one I would choose to spend a day listen to film music with.

I feel so betrayed. No, no, I don't want to hear it... you two deserve each other! <throws a glass of wine in your face>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I feel so betrayed. No, no, I don't want to hear it... you two deserve each other! <throws a glass of wine in your face>

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

See... that's a big problem right there. I'm a beer drinker. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, so am I. I just thought wine would be more dramatic. As long as I hurt you emotionally, that's all that counts.