• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. James Horner - The Missing

A very good work, though the album is obviously too long, even if the score is really varied. Great thematic material, action music, orchestrations and intelligent use of Native American voice and the shakuhachi. The chair percussion is a bit overrated though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - The Missing

A very good work, though the album is obviously too long, even if the score is really varied. Great thematic material, action music, orchestrations and intelligent use of Native American voice and the shakuhachi. The chair percussion is a bit overrated though.

a good one yes.

"brujos Storm" and the loooooooooong end credits are quite impressive.

NP:The Happening (JNH).

Efficient and professional score.

Does anyone notice "atonement" motif in the End Credits?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008 edited
    NP : ZULU - John Barry

Exellent! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008 edited
    NP: Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace - Robert Folk

Reviewing this for my blog, and I am simply amazed how much Folk's talents are overlooked. There's a lot of good (a little bit repetitive) action tracks, nice recording and two beautiful themes sprinkled throughout. Worth checking out.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  2. Nautilus wrote
    "... now with MV studios closed ..."

Changed names to Remote Control Studios during the legal battle. Rather fitting name if you ask me...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008
    NP: The Happening - J N Howard

First listen and I like what I'm hearing!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    REGENERATION | mychael danna

One of his best, and orchestrated by himself. It defnitely has his voice in it, even if it may sound a bit unusual for Danna. It reminds me a lot of the more darker (dissonant?) music from Ararat.

The main theme hints to the later released Thin Red Line. Regeneration is a little less heavy at times, with more 'joyful' tracks like Dottyfille with its woodwinds and harp. The strongest part of this score is the dark and sad main theme, carried by the strings and horns.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    justin boggan wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    "... now with MV studios closed ..."

Changed names to Remote Control Studios during the legal battle. Rather fitting name if you ask me...

Yeap, I wrotte this intentionally.

Remote control has his own sound, the sound of MV today (The island, Transformers, Iron man, etc...). MV was more pop rock oriented (The Rock, Armaggedon, yes armaggedon, Con air)

NP:The Happening (JNH)

Im not so entusiast like many other people here.

But this guy is really a composer who need be more aclaimed than other composers like....JAMES HORNER or ALAN SILVESTRI! far more versatile, adapted to the new millenium!

( Anyway, I find distrackting in "the Happening" Roar, Atonement, Golden Compass and The Village elements, wich makes this score not so good like his other collaborations with Shaymalan)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Nautilus wrote
    But this guy is really a composer who need be more aclaimed than other composers like....JAMES HORNER or ALAN SILVESTRI! far more versatile, adapted to the new millenium!

Isn't James Newton Howard acclaimed? Isn't he getting big projects? confused I think that whole term, 'acclaimed', is far too abstract to say he isn't 'acclaimed' enough.
  3. I'm playing Shrek 2 by HGW !

I LOVE the HGW variations on Holding Out To Be Hero performed by Jennifer Saunders...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Hmmm...really? I think he is pretty acclaimed around here. Just remember when "I Am Legend" was released, just to name one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Hmmm...really? I think he is pretty acclaimed around here. Just remember when "I Am Legend" was released, just to name one.

Yes, but it has not the name of "iconic" composers like Horner or Silvestri.

JNH didn't begin his career with so strong personality and memorable scores, but he is so professional, that he has grow up year after year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes, but it has not the name of "iconic" composers like Horner or Silvestri.

JNH didn't begin his career with so strong personality and memorable scores, but he is so professional, that he has grow up year after year.

I don't think HORNER's image is anything higher than JNH's these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. NP: Planet Earth - George Fenton

First Listen
  5. Jordi and his inferiority complexes with his favourite composers = sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Antineutrino wrote
    Jordi and his inferiority complexes with his favourite composers = sleep

Mmm....Who said is one of my favourites? tongue

NP:I am Legend (James Newton Howard)

One of his best (if not the best) main themes!

"the pier" or "epilogue" are cues worth to die for!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY - David Newman

The more I listen to this the more I really like it, a great score and one of the best purchases I made this year. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - John Williams

Pure perfection. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

Pure perfection. cool

Aye, it's BRILLIANT!

I may give that a spin in a while?

Y'know what? I still haven't bought KOTCS yet, I will but I just dion't feel inspired to yet!? slant
  6. Bregt wrote
    REGENERATION | mychael danna

One of his best, and orchestrated by himself. It defnitely has his voice in it, even if it may sound a bit unusual for Danna. It reminds me a lot of the more darker (dissonant?) music from Ararat.

The main theme hints to the later released Thin Red Line. Regeneration is a little less heavy at times, with more 'joyful' tracks like Dottyfille with its woodwinds and harp. The strongest part of this score is the dark and sad main theme, carried by the strings and horns.

Good man to listen to this wonderful score!
    'Garden of Death' is really something. sad

NP: 'End Credits Suite' from THE HAPPENING

This album arrived in the mail yesterday. I've only heard this piece, but I'm playing it a lot. It reminds me in aspects of SIGNS and THE VILLAGE. If the rest of the score elaborates on the pieces here, I will enjoy this one quite a bit.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    Good man to listen to this wonderful score!
    'Garden of Death' is really something. sad

Indeed. What an opening! One of his strongest pieces.

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON | tan dun

One I finally was able to obtain (for free, in a Belgian magazine!) and hear for the first time. Not extremely good, but perhaps worth the Oscar (nomination). What a beautiful love theme, and taken to heavenly hights in Farewell, with typical Chinese percussion. Yo-Yo Ma returns again (after my Seven Years of Tibet yesterday) and again, it draws a lot of attention to him. Pity of those two poppy love songs at the end, they really ruin it. The love song in House of the Flyin Daggers is 100 times more pure than this atrocious puke indulging song.

GREATEST HITS (Kunzel + Cincinnati Pops Orchestra) | henry mancini

Woot. This guy has like written the biggest amount of coolest tunes in film music! It Had Better Be Tonight (from Pink Panther) with the Inspector Clusou theme is awesome! The whole orchestra bringing it to live at an incredible speed, driven by a lot of percussion. Mighty!

Oooh, next up?

Perhaps Naqoyqatsi?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MUSIC FOR A DARKENED THEATRE - Danny Elfman

Very good compilation, great fun! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think I'm all played out at the moment, I just don't feel like listening to ANY music right now, anyone else here feel like this sometimes?

NP : nothing
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

Pure perfection. cool

Except for the trumpets? tongue

NP:Planet Earth (Fenton)

Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Wow!

Glad you like it mate! Check Fenton´s "Deep Blue" and "The Blue Planet".
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Wow!

I dit it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Wow!

I dit it!

And??
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Pure perfection. cool

Except for the trumpets? tongue

Nah they're fine. I don't hate them like you do. I'd just like a re-recording so we get crisper sounds and more bass. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Anastasia - David Newman

It's been quite a while since I've listened to this one. I'd forgotten how good some of this is.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Nothing

But there's a classical music concert going on just down the road from me and I've got my windows open! They've played the Indy theme! biggrin