• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    But this guy is really a composer who need be more aclaimed than other composers like....JAMES HORNER or ALAN SILVESTRI! far more versatile, adapted to the new millenium!

Hmmm...really? I think he is pretty acclaimed around here. Just remember when "I Am Legend" was released, just to name one.

Yes, but it has not the name of "iconic" composers like Horner or Silvestri.

JNH didn't begin his career with so strong personality and memorable scores, but he is so professional, that he has grow up year after year.

I don't think HORNER's image is anything higher than JNH's these days.

Boy, it should be. JNH is the most overrated film composer there is. He has written some truly fine scores - a reasonable number of them, in fact - but none of those who truly deserve acclaim has written half as many truly mediocre ones. I just can't work out how the guy can mix stuff as brilliant as The Happening in with some of the trash he does.

Anyway, playing almost continuously this weekend: Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

A score with more beautiful themes than all but two or three film composers have managed in their whole careers. To call this guy a genius doesn't begin to do him justice.
  1. Newton Howard's mixture of mediocre and marvelous is a mystery indeed. Maybe he saves the energy for a collaborator he feels is worth it (like Shyamalan, Scott Hicks, Michael Mann or Sydney Pollack). They're always the ones of his I watch a bit more.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    But this guy is really a composer who need be more aclaimed than other composers like....JAMES HORNER or ALAN SILVESTRI! far more versatile, adapted to the new millenium!

Hmmm...really? I think he is pretty acclaimed around here. Just remember when "I Am Legend" was released, just to name one.

Yes, but it has not the name of "iconic" composers like Horner or Silvestri.

JNH didn't begin his career with so strong personality and memorable scores, but he is so professional, that he has grow up year after year.

I don't think HORNER's image is anything higher than JNH's these days.

Boy, it should be. JNH is the most overrated film composer there is. He has written some truly fine scores - a reasonable number of them, in fact - but none of those who truly deserve acclaim has written half as many truly mediocre ones. I just can't work out how the guy can mix stuff as brilliant as The Happening in with some of the trash he does.

More overrated than Zimmer? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

Amazing. Just amazing. This has to be Newman's absolute best work ever. Cues like Main Title, Bayeux Tapestry, Mauve In Antarctica and The Great Work Begins are just jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Gorgeous. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

Zimmer isn't overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Zimmer isn't overrated.

What is he then?
  2. Crap.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Zimmer isn't overrated.

What is he then?

The Stock, Aitken and Waterman of film music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

Amazing. Just amazing. This has to be Newman's absolute best work ever. Cues like Main Title, Bayeux Tapestry, Mauve In Antarctica and The Great Work Begins are just jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Gorgeous. punk

Reminds me that I MUST play this again soon, it's a fantastic score.

I'd put this 3rd behind 'Shawshank' and 'Perdition'. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

Gorgeous. punk

Reminds me that I MUST play this again soon, it's a fantastic score.

I'd put this 3rd behind 'Shawshank' and 'Perdition'. cool

Yeah, definitely his top three. Trouble is, this guy is so good and so many of his scores are just absolutely brilliant. I was listening to Little Women earlier and was astounded by how much better it is than I had remembered. Still can't wait for Wall-E though!

On another note, I can't believe I'm still awake at this time. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008 edited
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Amazing, amazing score!! The action tracks are so fun and the ethnic sounding cues are also great! Amazing work! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Zimmer isn't overrated.

Always with you, mate! beer kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Zimmer isn't overrated.

What is he then?

The Stock, Aitken and Waterman of film music.

Indeed.

What I meant was that apart from a few rabid fans who admittedly shout so loudly they drown out the rest, he's not actually rated all that highly. Listening to that Marc Shaiman song he did at that award show (and the reaction it got), I suspect he's regarded with contempt by most of his peers too (rightly or wrongly). I think he has a long way to go before he could become overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

I must have gone four or five years without listening to this one until Friday, and since then have listened to it twenty times. Astonishingly good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    [
    Indeed.

What I meant was that apart from a few rabid fans who admittedly shout so loudly they drown out the rest, he's not actually rated all that highly. Listening to that Marc Shaiman song he did at that award show (and the reaction it got), I suspect he's regarded with contempt by most of his peers too (rightly or wrongly). I think he has a long way to go before he could become overrated.

In fact, i think he is underated.

NP:secret of Sahara (morricone)

One of my favourite works from the maestro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN MURPHY - Sunshine (composer promo)

I really like this moody electronic, minimal score. Having watched the (excellent but misunderstood, imo) movie too, helps feel the music a lot. There are some passages that are very, very good, i.e. the "Kaneda's Death" or "Escaping the Icarus" cues just to name a couple. Top stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    NP: Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

I must have gone four or five years without listening to this one until Friday, and since then have listened to it twenty times. Astonishingly good.

Pure class! cool

NP : THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY - Ennio Morricone

Excelent score for this baking afternoon, tracking has just gone past The Desert and they don't come much more descriptive than that! cool

Good to see folk playing Morricone here today beer
  3. North and South (Bill Conti)

Just played disc 1, but already love it. The theme is so gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    ON THE BEACH | christopher gordon

One of my favourite scores I'd say. So much melodie in here, pushing me to conducting every time, especially with that beuaitful, lyrical main theme, sometimes carried with a cello solo (or the The Beginning of the End!). Well, technically it's a violincello. It surprises me each time how much terrific stuff this score actually contains.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the happening

Nobody composes music at the level of "Be With You" or the frantic "end title suite" anymore. I just didn't expect to hear such brilliance in today's film music, my appreciation for JNH rises even more with each and every Shyamalan project and i truly think he's one of the few composers today who's able to be modern and simultaneously inventive, deeply surprising us each time. I am very impressed by this dark masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Nobody composes music at the level of "Be With You" or the frantic "end title suite" anymore. I just didn't expect to hear such brilliance in today's film music, my appreciation for JNH rises even more with each and every Shyamalan project and i truly think he's one of the few composers today who's able to be modern and simultaneously inventive, deeply surprising us each time. I am very impressed by this dark masterpiece.

Wow! I like it... but you LOVE it!

Regarding the bit in blue... do you really think that, or are you just exaggerating? I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning, if it's really what you think. I exaggerated in the other direction a few posts ago, so I know it's easily done, but Desplat, Williams, Horner, Elfman, T Newman, Iglesias, Shore... you really think none of them can be this good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Regarding the bit in blue... do you really think that, or are you just exaggerating? I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning, if it's really what you think. I exaggerated in the other direction a few posts ago, so I know it's easily done, but Desplat, Williams, Horner, Elfman, T Newman, Iglesias, Shore... you really think none of them can be this good?

or Zimmer, powell or Giacchino??? crazy

Demetris, lately tend to exagerate.
  4. THE HAPPENING is good, but the album could have been a bit tighter. I'm curious why the 'End Title Suite' contains a couple of passages that aren't heard anywhere else in the album.
  5. NP: The Escape Artist (Delerue)

This composer fills me with so much joy and sadness. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008
    NP: Pay It Forward - Thomas Newman

A pretty unremarkable score in general but the slower, more peaceful cues are undeniably beautiful and touching.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Iuuu
    uuuuu
    uuuuu
    zzzzzzz sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, I really mean it. JNH's cues like "Be with you" or the final part of "the beauty and the beast" from KING KONG or the "Gravel road" from THE VILLAGE or parts of "The Hand Of Fate" cues from THE SIGNS and the " The Great Eatlon" and end titles from LADY IN THE WATER are VERY hard to match and rarely they do so today, even by those you mention. And i stress today..

There's an evident common line in those pieces, i don't know where JNH finds that spirit in the specific movies 'cause he rarely does so, something sparks it for him, but there's so much emotion and unexpected melodic / sentimental burst in those pieces, they carry so much elegance and vigor, so much energy and surprising energy, i think they are - as i mentioned before - rarely matched. You can consider this as my "revised" version of what i said before wink 'Cause i upset the anti-hyperbole sentiments of Jordi wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN MURPHY - Sunshine (composer promo)

I really like this moody electronic, minimal score. Having watched the (excellent but misunderstood, imo) movie too, helps feel the music a lot. There are some passages that are very, very good, i.e. the "Kaneda's Death" or "Escaping the Icarus" cues just to name a couple. Top stuff.

I remember agreeing with you every time you mention this score, but I love tradition, so here I´m again... GREAT score! biggrin

No, I really mean it. JNH's cues like "Be with you" or the final part of "the beauty and the beast" from KING KONG or the "Gravel road" from THE VILLAGE or parts of "The Hand Of Fate" cues from THE SIGNS and the " The Great Eatlon" and end titles from LADY IN THE WATER are VERY hard to match and rarely they do so today, even by those you mention.

I absolutely agree. You mention the exact same tracks I would have used to describe my thoughts about JNH. And there are many more. He is a genius, he just needs inspiration, and that´s what MNS´s movies do. They inspire; they are a massive firework of inspiration for everyone who "gets" them (or at least thinks to get them, I´ll give you that tiny bit, not more).
  6. NP: The Upside of Anger (Desplat)

I wish the theme from 'Bungy-Jump' was used a bit more. Great colourful score however, from the best composer working consistently in American films at the moment.

Waits for the attacks.
  7. Chicago Joe And The Showgirl (1990) - Hans Zimmer & Shirley Walker

Beautiful score with a perfect theme !