• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008
    NP:Flesh and Blood (poledouris)

beer

Almost so good like Conan.

My second favourite score by him!!!
  1. Jeff Rona - Earthsea (2004)

I love the final track !
  2. Nautilus wrote

beer

You´re right, it´s a fantastic, powerful score, a perfect fit for this bright Verhoeven movie gem. A totally overblown movie in almost every aspect, but that´s part of the fun! And the score magnifies that by Hubble proportions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

beer

It's no where near as good as Conan but it's still a fantastic score....go figure!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Chicago Joe And The Showgirl (1990) - Hans Zimmer & Shirley Walker

Beautiful score with a perfect theme !

Did Hans do the theme? I only remember Walker's score from seeing the film. A good film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

beer

It's no where near as good as Conan but it's still a fantastic score....go figure!? wink

I use to hum the theme more often than I do with Conan.

NP:Kull (Joel Goldsmith)

another proof of Dodd's influence in the composition.

A great, great main theme!

Saving Zereta beer
  3. Timmer wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Chicago Joe And The Showgirl (1990) - Hans Zimmer & Shirley Walker

Beautiful score with a perfect theme !

Did Hans do the theme? I only remember Walker's score from seeing the film. A good film too.

Yeah good question about who did what...

Frankly, when I was listening to this bootleg, I thought "that's 100% Walker !" But the "Zimmer touch" can be heard in tracks 1, 14, 17, 22, 23 & 29 (among others)...

Especially track 22 (listen from 3:15, it sounds a bit Batman Begins biggrin )...

And the main theme is contained in these tracks (not in the others), so it could be Zimmer... But I don't know who wrote it. The film was directed by Bernard Rose and Hans scored his previous film Paperhouse...

Good job anyway ! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEOWULF - Alan Silvestri

Big meaty muscle bound score! punk

I also played this a couple of times over the weekend. It's great to hear a powerhouse score like this and yet it has many subtle moments that allow you to breathe, just check out the gorgeous, mysteriously erotic The Seduction.

Also love Silvestri's use of Horns in this score ( I'm Here To Kill Your Monster, Full of Fine Promises etc ), kind of reminiscent of John Barry or Mario Nascimbene at times.....man, it's GREAT hearing the Horns stand out in this score! cool

And to think, if I'd listened to some of the reviews I'd read I would never have got this slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

I also played this a couple of times over the weekend. It's great to hear a powerhouse score like this and yet it has many subtle moments that allow you to breathe, just check out the gorgeous, mysteriously erotic The Seduction.

Also love Silvestri's use of Horns in this score ( I'm Here To Kill Your Monster, FullOf Fine Promises etc ), kind of reminiscent of John Barry or Mario Nascimbene at times.....man, it's GREAT hearing the Horns stand out in this score! cool

And to think, if I'd listened to some of the reviews I'd read I would never have got this slant

IM PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW TOO!!!

beer

The main theme is so addictive! and "seductioN" so...sexual!

I like very much Male vocals in this score too...

Im doing a Session: Kull-Scorpion King- Beowulf ( Electric guitars mixed with apocalyptic ancient )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Also love Silvestri's use of Horns in this score ( I'm Here To Kill Your Monster, FullOf Fine Promises etc ), kind of reminiscent of John Barry or Mario Nascimbene at times.....man, it's GREAT hearing the Horns stand out in this score! cool

IM PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW TOO!!!

beer

The main theme is so addictive! and "seductioN" so...sexual!

shocked beer biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    beer

NP:Beowulf (silvestri)

Apocalyptic, agressive, ancient sword sorcery.

The main themes are really addictive, specially BeoWulf's theme and A hero Comes Home song (even if it's very close to back to the future overture). The action stuff is for better or for worst, pure Silvestri.

Special mention to , "the seduction". A old fashioned herrman style, wich reminds Silvestri's What lies benearth.

A little entertaining score!

(I enjoy much more beowulf or van helsing than The Mummy returns)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    NP: Kung Fu Panda by Zimmer and Powell.

I bought this on Thursday last week...and I think I am on about my 9th or 10th listen through. I really enjoy this score...the melding of modern MV style action music with the old...to me, it just works. I see myself listening to this one quite regularly!

Love Beowulf myself btw...listen to that one quite frequently as well!!
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    beer

NP:Beowulf (silvestri)

Apocalyptic, agressive, ancient sword sorcery.

The main themes are really addictive, specially BeoWulf's theme and A hero Comes Home song (even if it's very close to back to the future overture). The action stuff is for better or for worst, pure Silvestri.

Special mention to , "the seduction". A old fashioned herrman style, wich reminds Silvestri's What lies benearth.

A little entertaining score!

(I enjoy much more beowulf or van helsing than The Mummy returns)

Agree. Beowulf is one of my dear favorites of the last 5 years, top work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SCARLET LETTER - John Barry

One of my very favourite of Barry's later period scores cool

Someone at this board ( I don't remember who? ) once said Barry's score is based on Barber's Adagio? I suggest they take the cotton wool out of they're ears! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The other one is 3:10 to yuma ....

NP:3:10 to Yuma

A very good movie.

This score is like a tetric Morricone westen score.

I love this sound!

bravo marco! This is the kind of the movies you have to score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri

On par with Beowulf! And I personally feel that this is one of those few releases which covers most of the highlights of the film. I only listen to a few tracks from the unreleased bootleg, like Bat Attack and some of the slower cues, but otherwise I feel the official album covers most of the great material. Transylvania 1887, Burn It Down, Transylvanian Horses, Attacking Brides and Final Battle just kick ass. Epilogue has to be one of my favourite Silvestri tracks ever. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri

On par with Beowulf! And I personally feel that this is one of those few releases which covers most of the highlights of the film. I only listen to a few tracks from the unreleased bootleg, like Bat Attack and some of the slower cues, but otherwise I feel the official album covers most of the great material. Transylvania 1887, Burn It Down, Transylvanian Horses, Attacking Brides and Final Battle just kick ass. Epilogue has to be one of my favourite Silvestri tracks ever. punk

yeap. Agree again.

I have the bootleg, and i thought it contained more dramatic stuff wich could make this score less action packed, but in fact I enjoy much more the original realease.

And how i said, i enjoy it more than The Mummy returns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Someone at this board ( I don't remember who? ) once said Barry's score is based on Barber's Adagio? I suggest they take the cotton wool out of they're ears! tongue

Surely they were only referring to that choral piece based on (and credited as) Adagio for Strings? If they were referring to the rest of the score then they have more cloth in their ears than those who think Beowulf is anything more than standard generic Silvestri stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Surely they were only referring to that choral piece based on (and credited as) Adagio for Strings? If they were referring to the rest of the score then they have more cloth in their ears than those who think Beowulf is anything more than standard generic Silvestri stuff.

"ouch!" dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    than standard generic Silvestri stuff.

And what's wrong with that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BASIL POLEDOURIS - Amerika

Followed closely the suggestions you guys made over at the basil poledouris topic only to be heavily blown away! shocked "Supper", "Devin's return", "Squatters (homeless)", "The dance begins" and the concluding "Dieter's view"........there's nothing like this today. Simply breathtaking.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Also love Silvestri's use of Horns in this score ( I'm Here To Kill Your Monster, Full of Fine Promises etc ), kind of reminiscent of John Barry or Mario Nascimbene at times.....man, it's GREAT hearing the Horns stand out in this score! cool

^
    It was thanks to you D, mostly, that I ended up getting this. Thanks! beer

NP : SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES - James Horner

Generic Horner etc but I don't care because I like it! cool

p.s. D wave Did you feel the Quake? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

It's standard and generic! Quite good fun, in other words, but not on the level of his best stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It may not have the same variety of themes, but it is every bit as energetic and pumped up spectacularity as its big brother. I believe even the orchestrations are very similar. Listen to the fast action tracks like Castle Invasion; they could easily be a part of the Conan score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It may not have the same variety of themes, but it is every bit as energetic and pumped up spectacularity as its big brother. I believe even the orchestrations are very similar. Listen to the fast action tracks like Storming the Castle; they could easily be a part of the Conan score.

No need to defend it to me! wink I did say it is FANTASTIC! It's just that, to me CONAN is on another level of scores altogether, a nigh unattainable level that only a few handfuls of scores deserve to be in ( BEN-HUR, STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THE LION IN WINTER to name just a few ).
  4. Nautilus wrote
    Im doing a Session: Kull - Scorpion King - Beowulf

Sounds like a great idea to me. There are certain similarities. wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    No need to defend it to me! wink I did say it is FANTASTIC! It's just that, to me CONAN is on another level of scores altogether, a nigh unattainable level that only a few handfuls of scores deserve to be in ( BEN-HUR, STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THE LION IN WINTER to name just a few ).

All right then. To that, I agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote

All right then. To that, I agree.

You d' man Ralph beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

It is.

What's wrong with that if you are in Silvestri's mood? beer

NP:Aeguis (jones)

A very, very memorable and touching main theme.

Pure Jones in his orchestrations, his action stuff !!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    BASIL POLEDOURIS - Amerika

Followed closely the suggestions you guys made over at the basil poledouris topic only to be heavily blown away! shocked "Supper", "Devin's return", "Squatters (homeless)", "The dance begins" and the concluding "Dieter's view"........there's nothing like this today. Simply breathtaking.

Totally agree. A Poledouris score I discovered very late, but what a piece of art. To the great cues you mention, I´d add "The Homeless' March". When a composer passes away, this is the kind of music he is remembered for. Impressive.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you