• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Why don't you just write out one long post. You've obviously listened to the score enough times... give us your opinions in one, big, long post and be done with it!
    -Erik-

So, if you guys want to discuss BBs and TDKs faults without end, that´s okay, but if Jordi wants to write something positive about it now and then, that´s not? wink

No, the problem is:

NP: THE DARK KNIGHT
    I like this score.

How can you not like this score?

NP: THEI'DARK KNIGHT
    I'm still listening to this score, and I felt like telling you!!!

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THIS SCORE?!

etc. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I know what you mean, but it´s not as bad as you make it. Of course his posts could be a bit less structured with empty spaces... biggrin ...but he gives an opinion from time to time. When he´s in a good mood. And this is nowhere near the armageddon that was AWE or KFP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    X-Men: The Last Stand (complete) John Powell

Awesome. Definitely one of his best scores and one of my favourites. Some pretty great cues not on the original album. cool

sleep tongue

I hate you! tongue wink
    NP Joyeux Noël (Philippe Rombi)
    Delicious! "Fraternizers' Hymn" and its variations is top stuff.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Why don't you just write out one long post. You've obviously listened to the score enough times... give us your opinions in one, big, long post and be done with it!
    -Erik-

So, if you guys want to discuss BBs and TDKs faults without end, that´s okay, but if Jordi wants to write something positive about it now and then, that´s not? wink

After all, this is the NP thread, and if he´s playing it again and again because he thinks the score is cool and he finds something new with each listening, then why is it wrong to tell us that?

I don't know if that says anything to you but the discussions we made about the dark knight score, are in the dark knight score thread! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hellboy 2 - Danny Elfman

A dark score for a comic book film which is a long way from Batman, but has real dramatic impetus and is actually consistently interesting composition. Some people seem to think that's impossible.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    I don't know if that says anything to you but the discussions we made about the dark knight score, are in the dark knight score thread! wink

You were not seriously hoping he would be stopped by such an obvious move? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

But I saved those discussions for The Dark Knight thread. wink

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    After all, this is the NP thread, and if he´s playing it again and again because he thinks the score is cool and he finds something new with each listening, then why is it wrong to tell us that?

Yes, but there is such things as over kill. Why not just write one big review. Again, he has listened to it enough.

Look, this thread is more about discovery that what you are listening to. I'd rather read a lengthy review of the score that you are listening to then see that you are still spinning it 4 weeks after unwrapping it... or in Jordi's case downloading it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Again, this is nowhere near the armageddon that was AWE or KFP. And Jordi is Jordi. He´s unstoppable. Just be happy that most discussions that started here about TDK could be moved to the appropriate thread and let Jordi have his scoregasms. After all, they are all he´s gonna get, and he´s suffering from "hot girl at work"-syndrome again. The guy needs his release now and then. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He should 'release' properly on his gf. Not on us with THE DARK KNIGHT wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Doooooooooood!?!? shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hellboy 2 | Danny Elfman

First listen.

It's...interesting...to say the least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Hellboy 2 | Danny Elfman

First listen.

Listening to it as well. Not even close to Beltrami´s though. Still think that not hiring Beltrami for this is shameful.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hellboy 2 | Danny Elfman

First listen.

Listening to it as well. Not even close to Beltrami´s though. Still think that not hiring Beltrami for this is shameful.

I haven't heard Beltrami's. I take it it's much better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hellboy 2 | Danny Elfman

First listen.

MUCH better smile
    Get a copy ASAP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hellboy 2 | Danny Elfman

First listen.

MUCH better smile
    Get a copy ASAP.

I haven't heard Elfman's score yet but I absolutely adore Beltrami's score. I think it's one of the best things he has ever done.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hellboy 2 | Danny Elfman

First listen.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET A COPY ASAP! Definitely one of the best scores of the last 10 years or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm a big, big fan of Beltrami but am apparently the only person who doesn't think Hellboy is one of his best. I've only listened to Elfman's a couple of times but I think I prefer it. He's been at the top of his game with his three scores so far this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I'm a big, big fan of Beltrami but am apparently the only person who doesn't think Hellboy is one of his best.

Give it another spin my man. It's a thematic delight, surprisingly very emotional and dramatic, and contains some of the most exciting action material we have heard from him.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Cider House Rules - Rachel Portman

Easily my favorite Portman score and one of my all time favorites. Portman's trademark piano theme gets a generous work out in the score and what a fantastic theme it is. The tear jerker "Homer Return to the Orphanage" gets me every time. The way Portman slowly builds the track on piano and then brings in the clarinet to play a portion of the theme and then hands it back to the piano with string accompaniment. Just some lovely writing there. And then the strings take it away with the oboe playing counterpoint underneath. It's not a typical overwhelming traditional Hollywood build up piece where volume is also key in capturing the right emotion. Portman does it as a relatively low volume and slow pace which saves the piece from going into that saccharine territory which some despise.

Anyway, this is a delightful score that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I agree, it's gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I'm a big, big fan of Beltrami but am apparently the only person who doesn't think Hellboy is one of his best. I've only listened to Elfman's a couple of times but I think I prefer it. He's been at the top of his game with his three scores so far this year.

I really like his Hellboy score too.

Spider-Man 2 (complete) Danny Elfman

A proper superhero score, I love it! Best of the three IMO.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Pan's Labyrinth - Javier Navarrette

Been a while since I've listened to it again, but it is quite an impressive score. The main theme is simply wonderful, a bit detached but it is still heartrendingly beautiful. But the action-horror pieces are simply to die for, particularly "Not Human" (works both beautifully in the film and on album) and "Deep Forest." I never would've thought such a complex and layered score could've been properly performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, but this is one they accomplished beautifully.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    David wrote
    Miya wrote
    "Image Album" contains pieces of music which Hisaishi wrote at an early stage in production, inspired by storyboards and concept arts. So he reworked "Image Album" to write actual score for the movie. smile

Hmm, that makes sense. I never would have thought they would get an entire orchestra together to record what I suppose amounts to a temp track. Very interesting. wink

Ghibli records "Image Album" for their (almost?) every movie, sometimes including song versions of themes. (They seems to be confident that those albums will sell well wink)

But I never heard other company/composers doing that way... Maybe Zimmer's Pirates 3 suites did a similar role? (I think they're recorded with orchestra before he scored to the picture...)

NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino
    I want to get Ratatouille soon!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I put in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull an hour ago... brings back fond memories of the film and a nice reminder that there's still a new Williams score to listen to. It pales in comparison to the first two Indy scores, but is much more rousing than the third. Wonderful.

NP: Kung Fu Panda (Zimmer & Powell)

I have to say, barring the anarchronistic jazz stylings early on, this score is quite impressive. Most of the time it doesn't really sound like an atypical Zimmer or Powell score, or maybe I'm not paying enough attention to it. But the Powell stuff is to die for, particularly with Jane Antonia Cornish's distinct orchestrations.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Chicken Run - Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Bug (Tyler)

I must be crazy ( well, I knew that ), but I consider this score one of the best scores of the last year and one of tyler's best.

A experience score!

(it influenced the music from some shows, like the last episodes of CSI)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    Pan's Labyrinth - Javier Navarrette

Been a while since I've listened to it again, but it is quite an impressive score. The main theme is simply wonderful, a bit detached but it is still heartrendingly beautiful. But the action-horror pieces are simply to die for, particularly "Not Human" (works both beautifully in the film and on album) and "Deep Forest." I never would've thought such a complex and layered score could've been properly performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, but this is one they accomplished beautifully.

Oh I LOVE that main theme, so fragile and touching!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Bug (Tyler)

I must be crazy ( well, I knew that ), but I consider this score one of the best scores of the last year and one of tyler's best.

A experience score!

(it influenced the music from some shows, like the last episodes of CSI)

Yes but when i gave it 4 stars i remember you mocking me? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANTONIO PINTO - Collateral (score promo)

What a stunning display of imaginative and effective atmospheric writing, very much unlike a *cough* recent example of celebrated drone wink