• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Pan's Labyrinth - Javier Navarrette

Been a while since I've listened to it again, but it is quite an impressive score. The main theme is simply wonderful, a bit detached but it is still heartrendingly beautiful. But the action-horror pieces are simply to die for, particularly "Not Human" (works both beautifully in the film and on album) and "Deep Forest." I never would've thought such a complex and layered score could've been properly performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, but this is one they accomplished beautifully.

Oh I LOVE that main theme, so fragile and touching!

Yes...but the whole score it's the main theme. Is that good??? I don't think so.

In fact, Send Roque Baños ( Ñ can you do that? biggrin ) to Hollywood any day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    It's not just the main theme, it has a lot of beautiful, majestic and dark passages in it mate. Re-listen, do yourself that favor smile

N.P. JOE HISAISHI - Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite

Absolutely stunning, from start to finish shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not just the main theme, it has a lot of beautiful, majestic and dark passages in it mate. Re-listen, do yourself that favor smile

Ok. I will do that.

Why Shocked about Mononoke, do you already has heard it!!! So there's not surprise about this masterpiece!

NP:Solaris (martinez)

Something relaxing and unoticeable to listen while im working in my second job. Wow...From 9 to 14 and from 15:00 to 22:30!!! thanks God to scores!

This score has become one of my all time favourites. Curious how this kind of composers can make mastepieces...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes! Some of my favoruite tracks of him in there, together with The Rain from Kikujiro.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Christopher Gordon (various scores)

What can I say but THANKYOU to Steven, Michael and Erik for sharing your thoughts about the music of this brilliant composer!
    It’s because of your comments on these threads that my curiosity was pricked and I had to check out this man’s music.
    So over the past couple of weeks I’ve been able to get hold of a great deal of this wonderful music, assess it and make my own judgments according to my taste in music.
    Do I like Gordon’s style of scoring? Does it fire my rockets? OMG it sure does!!!
    I’d heard his music from Moby Dick a decade ago when I watched the mini series and thought “what a wonderful score”. But I never got around to buying it.
    A few months back I heard the suite from Moby Dick on a compilation album. Loved it!
    Then two weeks back I borrowed the CD of THE OPENING OF THE 2006 COMMONWEALTH GAMES from my local library. Once I heard that I just had to hear all I could from this amazing talent!
    I’ve been busy! And I must confess that I’m now a Christopher Gordon devotee!
    It’s so wonderful to be able to enjoy such rich symphonic scoring in these times of “hypo-techno quazi-orchestral choral synthetica” that permeates much of today’s film score market. This guy writes real music for real orchestras and choirs.
    I’ll keep it short but here are my thoughts on the music I’ve heard so far:
    2006 Commonwealth Games Opening – Stunning! Surely one of the most optimistic, uplifting themes I’ve ever heard! Makes the heart soar!
    Moby Dick – Beautiful and adventurous. Rich, lush old style music. Fine scoring!
    On The Beach – One of the best scores in many years! So richly thematic. A great work.
    Sydney: The Story of a City – Again a lovely, rich score for the Imax film.
    Salem’s Lot – One of the finest horror scores out there! Great choral work and haunting vocals by Lisa Gerrard. Wonderful stuff!
    Also highly impressed with his scores for Ward 13 and Much Ado About Something.
    All quite amazing compositions!
    I am yet to hear his music for the Rugby World Cup. Can’t seem to find it. One day I will I’m sure.
    Once again I thank you guys for leading me to this wonderful composer who is without doubt one of the finest out there!
    I look forward to future releases from this giant of a talent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jordi, have you heard JOE HISAISHI's LEGEND OF THE KING AND FOUR GODS (VOLUME 1 AND 2)? Now, that's also very stunning scoring!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Switched to JERRY GOLSMITH - 13th Warrior

What a mindblowing, magnificent main theme, excellent atmosphere and themes. That score is a winner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There are scores dear to your heart that you've either liked so much in the first place or you connected with own personal experiences resulting into huge amounts of emotional tension and pleasure each and every time you hear them, no matter how many years and listens go by. Scores to which you reside when things turn ugly or when the latest outcome of the music you love lets you down, 'cause they're gems and they're always there for you no matter for. Such scores were the 13th warrior i played today, Princess Mononoke and many others but also HANS ZIMMER - BlackHawk Down which i am playing right now, really loud. Intense, passionate and stirring with heartbreaking themes and an awesome sound overall. No matter how many years pass, this is one of my all-time favorite Zimmer scores and film scores in general. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    There are scores dear to your heart that you've either liked so much in the first place or you connected with own personal experiences resulting into huge amounts of emotional tension and pleasure each and every time you hear them, no matter how many years and listens go by. Scores to which you reside when things turn ugly or when the latest outcome of the music you love lets you down, 'cause they're gems and they're always there for you no matter for. Such scores were the 13th warrior i played today, Princess Mononoke and many others but also HANS ZIMMER - BlackHawk Down which i am playing right now, really loud. Intense, passionate and stirring with heartbreaking themes and an awesome sound overall. No matter how many years pass, this is one of my all-time favorite Zimmer scores and film scores in general. punk

This is the kind of Statements I like! Passion not directly connected with rationality! I love when score is connected with me not only for his music but also for personal reasons.

about BHD...there are a couple of tracks that really inmeser me to this world. Sadly the OST is full of tracks like "bakara" wich are more singles compositinos than score tracks.

But the Opening track, Ashes to Ashes , to the earth or Still reprises are unique in ZImmer career.

(ironically you can fins this sound in joker's suite).

talking about joker..... biggrin

NP:

Talking about
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - BlackHawk Down which i am playing right now, really loud. Intense, passionate and stirring with heartbreaking themes and an awesome sound overall. No matter how many years pass, this is one of my all-time favorite Zimmer scores and film scores in general. punk

I like it a lot too, but it would've been much better if Zimmer has used orchestral action music instead of the synth drone rubbish like in "Synchrotone". But I love the tracks like "Leave No Man Behind", the themes are just gorgeous! smile

NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

But this will remain my most favourite Zimmer score and # 1 score forever! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    HANS ZIMMER - BlackHawk Down which i am playing right now, really loud. Intense, passionate and stirring with heartbreaking themes and an awesome sound overall. No matter how many years pass, this is one of my all-time favorite Zimmer scores and film scores in general. punk

I like it a lot too, but it would've been much better if Zimmer has used orchestral action music instead of the synth drone rubbish like in "Synchrotone". But I love the tracks like "Leave No Man Behind", the themes are just gorgeous! smile

Synchrotone turns VERY emotional and string-driven during its final minute though after all the painful buildup and climax. I love it, especially after having watched its function in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Synchrotone turns VERY emotional and string-driven during its final minute though after all the painful buildup and climax. I love it, especially after having watched its function in the movie.

Yep it does, and I love that part. I only dislike the synth stuffs there and feel that real orchestra would've been better, but it's a nice score anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DemonStar wrote

Your addiction to this score is worse than anything I've seen around here. shocked wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yep it does, and I love that part. I only dislike the synth stuffs there and feel that real orchestra would've been better, but it's a nice score anyway.

I like it. It's hostile, dirty, unsettling, ugly, evil. Like war itself.

As i enjoy "WHY SO SERIOUS?" From TDK. I like this side of Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregt wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Your addiction to this score is worse than anything I've seen around here. shocked wink

spin biggrin

NP: Kung Fu Panda - HZ & JP

Puts my joy at getting Firefox 3 into notes! cheesy punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

That´s because "Why So Serious" could be perfectly from Black Hawk Down. Actually, I have my doubts whether Zimmer opened the Black Hawk Down drawer and took a non used theme to use it in TDK. Well, wait, I mean Newton Howard opened the drawer and Zimmer took the theme; it´s a two men job indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote

Wow... an interesting POV. I'll listen to it from this way now wink Thanks man! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Worst than my obsessions? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Bregt wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Worst than my obsessions? tongue

Dunno wink but I guess my obsession with be worth it if only this score gets a release it deserves.

NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino

Whoa boy, I love this brass-o-rama stuff! shocked punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Last of The Mohicans - Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman

Not that great but a pretty good listen anyway...
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    I'm a big, big fan of Beltrami but am apparently the only person who doesn't think Hellboy is one of his best.

Give it another spin my man. It's a thematic delight, surprisingly very emotional and dramatic, and contains some of the most exciting action material we have heard from him.

-Erik-

I haven't seen either HELLBOY movie, haven't heard Elfman's score, but personally I would probably name HELLBOY if I was to name a really impressive Beltrami album. Sadly the end credits suite (which has the great main theme) was not on the album.

NP: The Dark Knight (Zimmer / Newton Howard)

Very similar. Dare I say it, if you liked the last one...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jordi, have you heard JOE HISAISHI's LEGEND OF THE KING AND FOUR GODS (VOLUME 1 AND 2)? Now, that's also very stunning scoring!

No! but it seems i have to!

wink thanks for the recommendation Im goint to...find it!

NP:HellBoy (Beltrami).

A pure Masterpiece. Im always shoked how far to his other scores Hellboy is. Of course, you need a complete realease....

This Goldenthal moments mixed with the tetric vision of Beltrami Rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Last Legion (Patrick Doyle)

I love this one. Bold, sweeping, a great main theme and top orchestral power. Not as repetitive as Eragon (which I also like), a nice step up. One of my favs of 2007.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Toy Story - Randy Newman

Very fun score with nice themes like fit the movie like magic beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    I'm a big, big fan of Beltrami but am apparently the only person who doesn't think Hellboy is one of his best.

Give it another spin my man. It's a thematic delight, surprisingly very emotional and dramatic, and contains some of the most exciting action material we have heard from him.

-Erik-

I haven't seen either HELLBOY movie, haven't heard Elfman's score, but personally I would probably name HELLBOY if I was to name a really impressive Beltrami album. Sadly the end credits suite (which has the great main theme) was not on the album.

Woah... miscompute. You haven't seen Hellboy... the end credits aren't on the album... miscompute!

Re: Black Hawk Down - I hated this film (perhaps I was just in a bad mood when I saw it) but thought it was one of HZ's most inspired works. I rarely see anything scored by him where I think he actually understood the music the film required, but he nailed this one.
  2. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Woah... miscompute. You haven't seen Hellboy... the end credits aren't on the album... miscompute!

It was available for download on his website. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Bregt wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I'm addicted to this score and played countless times (since when I was a kid), and I agree all what Ravi said, so I don't need to add anything more wink

NP: Spanglish - Hans Zimmer

This is my favorite along with The Lion King. Actually I recently play this more often than TLK (because TLK has bad editing (official) and bad sound quality (bootleg)).

I like this movie too, and I thought the score supported it very well. My favorite track is The Beach, from a scene where two main characters understand each other. I love the moment when piano playing love theme (I think), beautifully but not over-romantically.

The main theme for the Mexican family is beautiful too. It's mainly played by guitar, but when it's played by orchestra at the last scene (track), it becomes really emotional...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. Spanglish is for me Zimmer's best comedy score. I need yet to see the film, because I love James L. Brooks efforts.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    because TLK has bad editing (official) and bad sound quality (bootleg)

Thank you! beer I was tired of people saying what a great amount of score is on the OST, what "AMAZING" quality that bootleg has...

NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

One of Zimmer's bestest best works till date! He realls gets you into the theme of the film! spin