• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Spanglish is for me Zimmer's best comedy score. I need yet to see the film, because I love James L. Brooks efforts.

I love other James Brooks movies too. I thought Spanglish is a drama with comedic elements rather than a romanic comedy. Once Zimmer said he never treated it as a comedy... And I think it deserves more attention (both movie and score).

NP: "Looking At Heaven" from Tombstone @ StreamingSoundtracks.com - Bruce Broughton

yoohoo it's really great!! punk Sadly it's hard to buy this album today sad
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Captivating!! moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Captivating!! moon

Damn good score, watched the film again the other day and was struck by how John Barry'ish JNH's Kong motif is.

Speaking of which, have you heard Barry's Kong? It's a damn fine score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    I'm a big, big fan of Beltrami but am apparently the only person who doesn't think Hellboy is one of his best. I've only listened to Elfman's a couple of times but I think I prefer it. He's been at the top of his game with his three scores so far this year.

I really like his Hellboy score too.

Spider-Man 2 (complete) Danny Elfman

A proper superhero score, I love it! Best of the three IMO.

A "proper" superhero score? I refer you to my NP from last night ( not posted )

WP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

Proper job punk cool as we say in Bristolian wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    Speaking of which, have you heard Barry's Kong? It's a damn fine score.

Yeah! I like it a lot too.

NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

Second time today! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean - At World's End - Hans Zimmer

What a powerful pirate anthem What Shall We Die For is!! shocked And I Don't Think Now is The Best Time is, IMHO, the best action track of 2007, followed by Storybook Ending from Enchanted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    I'm a big, big fan of Beltrami but am apparently the only person who doesn't think Hellboy is one of his best.

Give it another spin my man. It's a thematic delight, surprisingly very emotional and dramatic, and contains some of the most exciting action material we have heard from him.

-Erik-

I haven't seen either HELLBOY movie, haven't heard Elfman's score, but personally I would probably name HELLBOY if I was to name a really impressive Beltrami album. Sadly the end credits suite (which has the great main theme) was not on the album.

Woah... miscompute. You haven't seen Hellboy... the end credits aren't on the album... miscompute!

Re: Black Hawk Down - I hated this film (perhaps I was just in a bad mood when I saw it) but thought it was one of HZ's most inspired works. I rarely see anything scored by him where I think he actually understood the music the film required, but he nailed this one.

Thank.You
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    NP: Christopher Gordon (various scores)

What can I say but THANKYOU to Steven, Michael and Erik for sharing your thoughts about the music of this brilliant composer!
    It’s because of your comments on these threads that my curiosity was pricked and I had to check out this man’s music.

SNIP

Once again I thank you guys for leading me to this wonderful composer who is without doubt one of the finest out there!
    I look forward to future releases from this giant of a talent!

I had to cut down your post because the quote would be just too damn long. tongue But I just wanted to thank you for sharing your first experiences with Christopher Gordon with us. And I'm happy to see that I was a small part in helping you discover his absolutely brilliant music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

Testosterone and adrenaline meal!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

Testosterone and adrenaline meal!! punk

punk punk punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE - Sol Kaplan

Classic score from the classic TOS Star Trek. Excellent it is too! Thank the gods Rick Berman wasn't on board in those days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Classic score from the classic TOS Star Trek. Excellent it is too! Thank the gods Rick Berman wasn't on board in those days.

Wait wait wait, is that the one with the Kirk and Spock fighting music? I totally have that as my ring tone. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Selections from On The Beach - Christopher Gordon

Easily one of the greatest unknown gems to cross my desk in the past 8 years. Back in 2000 I had no idea who Christopher Gordon was, what this TV movie was all about and what I was to expect with the score. I don't know how anyone could not fall in love with this after listening to only the first cue. A rousing main theme. And it only gets better from there. There's the cello solos and heartbreaking cues at the end of the album. And what's there to say about "Lacrimosa." An incredible, angelic, deeply emotional choral cue.

For those that don't have this in your collections please make it a priority to get it. I don't think I've run into anyone around here or on other boards that haven't praised it! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Wait wait wait, is that the one with the Kirk and Spock fighting music? I totally have that as my ring tone. biggrin

You mean THIS FIGHTING MUSIC!

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

-Erik-

Oh my gosh! lol Thanks for posting that, Erik! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

-Erik-

Man, I'd forgotten how funny that was....I'm still wiping tears away biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAA!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Matt C wrote
    But the Powell stuff is to die for, particularly with Jane Antonia Cornish's distinct orchestrations.

Please can someone explain what JAC sounds like..! dizzy

Christodoulides wrote
    ANTONIO PINTO - Collateral (score promo)

What a stunning display of imaginative and effective atmospheric writing, very much unlike a *cough* recent example of celebrated drone wink

While the finale music goes over the top and actually sounds quite silly, this is GREAT walking-home-from-the-pub-at-night-with-only-the-orange-glow-of-streetlights-to-guide-you-music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

LOL biggrin

No, but it's playing now.....

NP : AMOK TIME - Gerald Fried

Classic! cool

Do you have this CD Steven?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Selections from On The Beach - Christopher Gordon

Easily one of the greatest unknown gems to cross my desk in the past 8 years. Back in 2000 I had no idea who Christopher Gordon was, what this TV movie was all about and what I was to expect with the score. I don't know how anyone could not fall in love with this after listening to only the first cue. A rousing main theme. And it only gets better from there. There's the cello solos and heartbreaking cues at the end of the album. And what's there to say about "Lacrimosa." An incredible, angelic, deeply emotional choral cue.

For those that don't have this in your collections please make it a priority to get it. I don't think I've run into anyone around here or on other boards that haven't praised it! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

-Erik-

I. COULDN'T. AGREE. MORE.

What comes out of the awfully bland packaging of the CD is incredible.
  1. NP : SPACE AND BEYOND - Various composers - CD #1

From Silva Screen Records. A truly superb compilation full of the kind of awesome film music I grew up with. It's great to hear these themes played by the City of Prague Philharmonic, which makes the already stunning music sound even better than the original cues. Best examples: The Right Stuff, Cocoon, Lifeforce, Heavy Metal to name a few.

The second CD is mostly devoted to Star Trek and here the orchestra hits a real home run: the various tracks from the movies and TV shows all sound better in some way, even if the original already sounded perfect. I just can't explain it but the performances on this double-CD truly rock.

This series of compilation albums has two more sequels but not of the same consistent quality as this one. It's the perfect compilation for anyone just wanting the very best Sci-fi film music ever composed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP : SPACE AND BEYOND - Various composers - CD #1

From Silva Screen Records. A truly superb compilation full of the kind of awesome film music I grew up with. It's great to hear these themes played by the City of Prague Philharmonic, which makes the already stunning music sound even better than the original cues. Best examples: The Right Stuff, Cocoon, Lifeforce, Heavy Metal to name a few.

The second CD is mostly devoted to Star Trek and here the orchestra hits a real home run: the various tracks from the movies and TV shows all sound better in some way, even if the original already sounded perfect. I just can't explain it but the performances on this double-CD truly rock.

This series of compilation albums has two more sequels but not of the same consistent quality as this one. It's the perfect compilation for anyone just wanting the very best Sci-fi film music ever composed.

What I'd call a good taster album, a great way for newbies to discover new music and want to get the originals. The recordings are varied and rarely match the original where applicable.
  2. Battlefield 2 : Modern Combat - Rupert Gregson-Williams

punk punk punk

RGW should co-compose something with his bro... beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP : SPACE AND BEYOND - Various composers - CD #1

I will flat out disagree with you there. Again, just personal preference but most of those early Prague recordings are nails on a chalk board for me. You wanna know who absolutely nailed the re-recordings of The Right Stuff, Coccon and Lifeforce... Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. I'd say that Kuznels's version of "Yeager's Triumph" is the best out there just slightly beating out Conti's very own re-recordings. Even Lifeforce has a bit more umph on Kunzel's recording than the original... however, I do think the original sounds great performed by the London Symphony recorded by Eric Tomlinson.

As mentioned before, the Prague orchestra is getting much better. The Tadlow recordings are evidence of that... and their John Barry re-recordings are easily the best thing they have done. It does help that Nic Raine is a HUGE John Barry fan. But I cringe at a lot of the Prague's work. Either lazy conducting, terrible performances or for the most part absolutely terrible sonics which makes the entire orchestra sound muffled and constipated with way too much reverb. Now, if you like them, great but IMHO I'd skip the Prague stuff and find more Marco Polo/Tribute Film Classics, Varese/Royal Scottish National Orchestra, RCA/Gerhardt and Telarc/Kunzel recordings.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote
    NP: "Looking At Heaven" from Tombstone @ StreamingSoundtracks.com - Bruce Broughton

yoohoo it's really great!! punk Sadly it's hard to buy this album today sad

What chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!

TOMBSTONE is very much available and in print at Intrada in expanded form.
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4745/.f

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROCKY - Bill Conti

Gonna fly now wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BATMAN BEGINS - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

An enjoyable enough listen on album though I find much of it tedious. I'd have preferred a different score than this but what the hey!? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote

An enjoyable enough listen on album though I find much of it tedious. I'd have preferred a different score than this but what the hey!? slant

Timmer, I have been pondering whether or not I should buy that one. Is it a good album?
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    Bregt wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

But this will remain my most favourite Zimmer score and # 1 score forever! punk

Your addiction to this score is worse than anything I've seen around here. shocked wink

I'm addicted to this score and played countless times (since when I was a kid), and I agree all what Ravi said, so I don't need to add anything more wink

NP: Spanglish - Hans Zimmer

This is my favorite along with The Lion King. Actually I recently play this more often than TLK (because TLK has bad editing (official) and bad sound quality (bootleg)).

I support your obsession and your goal. I'm so annoyed. I was in the Buena Vista Studios Walt Disney Records building and I didn't even think to ask about a future release. (It was only a tour, but still...)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

Timmer, I have been pondering whether or not I should buy that one. Is it a good album?

If you can find it cheaply then yes though there are thousands of better scores out there to spend your money on.

At the same time I'm probably not the best person to ask around here, I'm not a fan of Zimmer's music and only really love a handful of his works. When on form I absolutely love JNH though he can blow hot and cold for me; on this album he's diluted.