• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BATMAN BEGINS - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

An enjoyable enough listen on album though I find much of it tedious. I'd have preferred a different score than this but what the hey!? slant

Timmer, I have been pondering whether or not I should buy that one. Is it a good album?

If you can find it cheaply then yes though there are thousands of better scores out there to spend your money on.

At the same time I'm probably not the best person to ask around here, I'm not a fan of Zimmer's music and only really love a handful of his works. When on form I absolutely love JNH though he can blow hot and cold for me; on this album he's diluted.

Hmmm. Well, that one is only one of about a hundred scores on my wish list, so I guess it can wait. Thanks! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Great score! The OST, however, leaves me wanting much, much more... I'm no expert on this score, but the soundtrack just leaves me feeling it's very incomplete, missing a lot from the full score. sad

Favorite tracks:

1. Jack Sparrow
    2. The Kraken
    3. Davy Jones
    5. Dinner Is Served
    7. Two Hornpipes (Tortuga)
    9. Wheel of Fortune
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Angel - Philippe Rombi

I got this earlier last month after reading many great things about it from members here, and I'm glad and went ahead and ordered it. It's fantastic! Its a great album with some real dynamite pieces and a gorgeous main theme.

Any recommendations for other Rombi albums?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    David wrote

I got this earlier last month after reading many great things about it from members here, and I'm glad and went ahead and ordered it. It's fantastic! Its a great album with some real dynamite pieces and a gorgeous main theme.

I´d recommend "Joyeux Noël", impressive effort.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning
  1. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - Batman Begins

I actually like the original Batman score in some ways, of course Artibeus is just plain atrocious and Hans overrates some cues (Tadarida), I remember it as working well in the movie (especially the two note motif, for some reason).

I listen to it to compare later with The Dark Knight.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning

We should start a 20 page thread dedicated to it! Though I surmise it would just be you, me, Martijn, Timmer, Alan (and a few others) agreeing with each other. So on that note... we should definitely do it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning

We should start a 20 page thread dedicated to it! Though I surmise it would just be you, me, Martijn, Timmer, Alan (and a few others) agreeing with each other. So on that note... we should definitely do it!

:cough cough:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning

:cough cough:

-Erik-

Oh shit, my bad. You know, you go through names in your head and you always seem to miss out the most obvious one for some reason!? Well I do anyway. shame
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP : SPACE AND BEYOND - Various composers - CD #1

From Silva Screen Records. A truly superb compilation full of the kind of awesome film music I grew up with. It's great to hear these themes played by the City of Prague Philharmonic, which makes the already stunning music sound even better than the original cues. Best examples: The Right Stuff, Cocoon, Lifeforce, Heavy Metal to name a few.

I will flat out disagree with you there. Again, just personal preference but most of those early Prague recordings are nails on a chalk board for me. You wanna know who absolutely nailed the re-recordings of The Right Stuff, Coccon and Lifeforce... Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. I'd say that Kuznels's version of "Yeager's Triumph" is the best out there just slightly beating out Conti's very own re-recordings. Even Lifeforce has a bit more umph on Kunzel's recording than the original... however, I do think the original sounds great performed by the London Symphony recorded by Eric Tomlinson.

As mentioned before, the Prague orchestra is getting much better. The Tadlow recordings are evidence of that... and their John Barry re-recordings are easily the best thing they have done. It does help that Nic Raine is a HUGE John Barry fan. But I cringe at a lot of the Prague's work. Either lazy conducting, terrible performances or for the most part absolutely terrible sonics which makes the entire orchestra sound muffled and constipated with way too much reverb. Now, if you like them, great but IMHO I'd skip the Prague stuff and find more Marco Polo/Tribute Film Classics, Varese/Royal Scottish National Orchestra, RCA/Gerhardt and Telarc/Kunzel recordings.

-Erik-

Well I admit I don't know these other orchestras that well, and my knowledge of comparing audio quality between orchestras must be non existent shame , but to my ears all of the cues sound superb and not like 'nails on a chalkboard' at all (WTF?), and are very representative of the original recordings, sometimes played in slower tempo or with some other instrumentation, but overall great sound. I do not like however all the performances on Space and Beyond 2 and 3, I was merely stating my fondness of this one. Again, not being able to compare makes me look like quite the noob around here, but I've heard way worse orchestras in my life than the Prague one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Hancock | John Powell

As listenable as most of the tracks are, it's way too easy to just put a few cues into a playlist:

1. SUV Chase
    2. The opening portion of Train Disaster.
    3. To War
    4. Hollywood Blvd
    5. The Moon And The Superhero

...all done in about 15 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

From Silva Screen Records. A truly superb compilation full of the kind of awesome film music I grew up with. It's great to hear these themes played by the City of Prague Philharmonic, which makes the already stunning music sound even better than the original cues. Best examples: The Right Stuff, Cocoon, Lifeforce, Heavy Metal to name a few.

I will flat out disagree with you there. Again, just personal preference but most of those early Prague recordings are nails on a chalk board for me. You wanna know who absolutely nailed the re-recordings of The Right Stuff, Coccon and Lifeforce... Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. I'd say that Kuznels's version of "Yeager's Triumph" is the best out there just slightly beating out Conti's very own re-recordings. Even Lifeforce has a bit more umph on Kunzel's recording than the original... however, I do think the original sounds great performed by the London Symphony recorded by Eric Tomlinson.

As mentioned before, the Prague orchestra is getting much better. The Tadlow recordings are evidence of that... and their John Barry re-recordings are easily the best thing they have done. It does help that Nic Raine is a HUGE John Barry fan. But I cringe at a lot of the Prague's work. Either lazy conducting, terrible performances or for the most part absolutely terrible sonics which makes the entire orchestra sound muffled and constipated with way too much reverb. Now, if you like them, great but IMHO I'd skip the Prague stuff and find more Marco Polo/Tribute Film Classics, Varese/Royal Scottish National Orchestra, RCA/Gerhardt and Telarc/Kunzel recordings.

-Erik-

Well I admit I don't know these other orchestras that well, and my knowledge of comparing audio quality between orchestras must be non existent shame , but to my ears all of the cues sound superb and not like 'nails on a chalkboard' at all (WTF?), and are very representative of the original recordings, sometimes played in slower tempo or with some other instrumentation, but overall great sound. I do not like however all the performances on Space and Beyond 2 and 3, I was merely stating my fondness of this one. Again, not being able to compare makes me look like quite the noob around here, but I've heard way worse orchestras in my life than the Prague one.

This wasn't a personal attack on you or to call you out as a noob. I was simply giving you my opinion on the album you were listening to and giving you some more opinions just in case you were interested in different... and WAY better... recordings.

-Erik-

PS - Prague Orchestra=Nails on a chalkboard. You read that right.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Anthony wrote
    Hancock | John Powell

As listenable as most of the tracks are, it's way too easy to just put a few cues into a playlist:

1. SUV Chase
    2. The opening portion of Train Disaster.
    3. To War
    4. Hollywood Blvd
    5. The Moon And The Superhero

...all done in about 15 minutes.

You're too harsh. What about Getting Therapy?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Erik Woods wrote

This wasn't a personal attack on you or to call you out as a noob. I was simply giving you my opinion on the album you were listening to and giving you some more opinions just in case you were interested in different... and WAY better... recordings.

-Erik-

Not feeling attacked Erik, just showing my ignorance on that subject. For me it's simple: if I like something I will not look further than my own nose for improvement, if I stumble on it by accident fine, I feel enlightened, if not well I don't see how that can be a big loss. I know each orchestra / conductor can give their own spin on things but I wouldn't call the Prague Philharmonic terrible sounding, have you ever heard a synthesized orchestra playing some of the more popular film music out there (like Star Wars, Back to the Future)? I tell you that's ugly nails on an old chalkboard, downright horrible, ask my brother, we still cringe at the thought of that album. And saying we paid for it...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning

Hey I'm getting more and more interested in this score. Is it truly that great? Like Superman great?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not feeling attacked Erik, just showing my ignorance on that subject. For me it's simple: if I like something I will not look further than my own nose for improvement, if I stumble on it by accident fine, I feel enlightened, if not well I don't see how that can be a big loss. I know each orchestra / conductor can give their own spin on things but I wouldn't call the Prague Philharmonic terrible sounding, have you ever heard a synthesized orchestra playing some of the more popular film music out there (like Star Wars, Back to the Future)? I tell you that's ugly nails on an old chalkboard, downright horrible, ask my brother, we still cringe at the thought of that album. And saying we paid for it...

Ooooh... I know that synth orchestras sound worse but when you compare the Prague stuff to something truly great... for instance the Gerhardt recordings... then you will know what I'm talking about.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

I recently searched the iTunes store for the Indiana Jones soundtracks, but sadly came up with just a couple results, one of which being a City of Prague Philharmonic recording of various cues from the original trilogy. I listened to the preview clips, and sadly, it is as you say, Erik. The orchestra sounds far, far worse than most studio orchestras which are used for original recordings, and this Indiana Jones album is not the only one of theirs I have come across in recent months. Their sound is somewhat... amateurish? I'm not sure if that's the right word or not, but the sound in most recordings by them seems to be rather dull. I'd prefer original recordings over anything by them! I briefly considered buying the Indiana Jones album, but ultimately decided I may as well wait and hope for an official rerelease of the scores. The orchestra just doesn't sound good, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...have you ever heard a synthesized orchestra playing some of the more popular film music out there (like Star Wars, Back to the Future)? I tell you that's ugly nails on an old chalkboard, downright horrible, ask my brother, we still cringe at the thought of that album. And saying we paid for it...

You mean you've actually bought recordings like that before? biggrin vomit
  6. TheTelmarine wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...have you ever heard a synthesized orchestra playing some of the more popular film music out there (like Star Wars, Back to the Future)? I tell you that's ugly nails on an old chalkboard, downright horrible, ask my brother, we still cringe at the thought of that album. And saying we paid for it...

You mean you've actually bought recordings like that before? biggrin vomit

Hey we were just starting out collecting. We thought the album contained the original instrumentation like in the movies, with violins, horns, drums, etc. In stead it was like something that came out of my old 8-bit Sega console. Actually that thing produced better sounding music. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    In stead it was like something that came out of my old 8-bit Sega console. Actually that thing produced better sounding music. biggrin

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning

Hey I'm getting more and more interested in this score. Is it truly that great? Like Superman great?

Oh, it's better than Superman. A Williams top five album for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning

Oh, it's better than Superman. A Williams top five album for me.

I wouldn't go there but it's a damn superb score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer The Fury on a whole to Superman. I am of course wedded to those themes in Superman like many others though, I think I would take 'The Flying Sequence' from Superman (which is basically the love theme) over the entire score for The Fury any day.

But it's kinda like asking which country owns the most powerful arsenal of nuclear weapons - they could all reek a shit load of destruction either way! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Fury is on my Top 10 for sure. Superman however is in my Top 5. wink But James is right, the original Fury album is superb. Not one dull moment.... even the circus music is creepy as all hell.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Fury is on my Top 10 for sure. Superman however is in my Top 5. wink But James is right, the original Fury album is superb. Not one dull moment.... even the circus music is creepy as all hell.

-Erik-

The Fury is a more digestable album as a single listen. I do agree with you though, Superman is easy top 5. Cripes! Williams could do no wrong back then. ( and has rarely misfired since )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Fury - John Williams

Stunning

It'll only get to 20 plus here at this site if you can throw MV / RC scores into the equation saying how thet're much better than blah blah blah..... rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    David wrote

I´d recommend "Joyeux Noël", impressive effort.

Philippe Rombi must haves (trust me wink )

Joyeux Noël (2005)
    ... aka Merry Christmas (UK) (USA)

5x2

ou, mais

Jeux d'enfants (2003)
    ... aka Love Me If You Dare (International: English title)

Une hirondelle a fait le printemps (2001)
    ... aka The Girl from Paris (UK) (USA: festival title)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for the Prague orchestra film music re-recordings, i agree, most of the sound ridiculously bad and amateurish. Very bad stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Southall wrote
    Hellboy 2 - Danny Elfman

A dark score for a comic book film which is a long way from Batman, but has real dramatic impetus and is actually consistently interesting composition. Some people seem to think that's impossible.

I'm quite looking forward to hearing this. 2008 has been a strong year for Elfman with the likes of Standard Operating Procedure and Wanted.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE - Sol Kaplan

Classic score from the classic TOS Star Trek. Excellent it is too! Thank the gods Rick Berman wasn't on board in those days.

Wait wait wait, is that the one with the Kirk and Spock fighting music? I totally have that as my ring tone. biggrin

You mean THIS FIGHTING MUSIC!

biggrin

-Erik-

Man, I'd forgotten how funny that was....I'm still wiping tears away biggrin

Bringing people back to their senses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn