• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    I prefer The Fury on a whole to Superman. I am of course wedded to those themes in Superman like many others though, I think I would take 'The Flying Sequence' from Superman (which is basically the love theme) over the entire score for The Fury any day.

But it's kinda like asking which country owns the most powerful arsenal of nuclear weapons - they could all reek a shit load of destruction either way! dizzy

Ok sounds like a must buy. I agree that period was his most creative and memorable. If only there was some place on this planet to buy it from. Any suggestions, overseas doesn't bother me.

Christodoulides wrote
    As for the Prague orchestra film music re-recordings, i agree, most of the sound ridiculously bad and amateurish. Very bad stuff.

I still stand by this, but to me it sounds we're just not talking about the same orchestra! confused
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the Prague orchestra film music re-recordings, i agree, most of the sound ridiculously bad and amateurish. Very bad stuff.

Yeah... Granted, they are better than the synthesized junk, which is pure crap.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE - Sol Kaplan

Classic score from the classic TOS Star Trek. Excellent it is too! Thank the gods Rick Berman wasn't on board in those days.

Wait wait wait, is that the one with the Kirk and Spock fighting music? I totally have that as my ring tone. biggrin

You mean THIS FIGHTING MUSIC!

biggrin

-Erik-

Man, I'd forgotten how funny that was....I'm still wiping tears away biggrin

Bringing people back to their senses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Nonsense!

You're being overly harsh here D, "ridiculously bad"? "amateurish"? They may not be the LSO or Berlin but they're hardly the high school band! Many of the re-recordings aren't available elsewhere and some are not possible with bigger name orchestra due to costs. Without the Prague my collection would be missing some fantastic works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Nonsense!

You're being overly harsh here D, "ridiculously bad"? "amateurish"? They may not be the LSO or Berlin but they're hardly the high school band! Many of the re-recordings aren't available elsewhere and some are not possible with bigger name orchestra due to costs. Without the Prague my collection would be missing some fantastic works.

Finally an agreeable soul! Here I was thinking I was the oddball shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    I was in the Buena Vista Studios Walt Disney Records building and I didn't even think to ask about a future release. (It was only a tour, but still...)

Oh man! If I were in your place and somehow could become invisible, I'd grab TLK and a few other goodies if possible and rush out! Probably they wouldn't notice since those tapes must be gathering dust since 1994! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Great score! The OST, however, leaves me wanting much, much more... I'm no expert on this score, but the soundtrack just leaves me feeling it's very incomplete, missing a lot from the full score. sad

Favorite tracks:

1. Jack Sparrow
    2. The Kraken
    3. Davy Jones
    5. Dinner Is Served
    7. Two Hornpipes (Tortuga)
    9. Wheel of Fortune

********************!! PoTC Spoilers Alert !!*********************

Yeah, there's quite a lot of good stuff missing from the official album, like

- Three fourths of the Cannibal Island Chase
    - The Compass and drunk Jack scene
    - A portion of the Tia Dalma track
    - The Flying Dutchman's Arrival, talk b/w Jones and Jack
    - "Summon The Kraken" and the Flying Dutchman submerges
    - The opening and full second half of the Fight over the Chest sequence
    - Davy Jones' organ theme (film version)
    - The second Kraken attack

It's very little compared how much is missing from At World's End!! tongue

NP: Tarzan - Mark Mancina

Not much but I like the jungle drums and native instruments stuffs wink
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Just finished Thomas Newman's Wall E for the second time today and it's superb, full of wonderfully inventive orchestrations without ever straying too far from the much loved Newman sound. Would definately liked to have seen a few more cues in expanded form, but overall I think most of the cues around the 2 minute mark are just perfect.

Now onto a first listen of City of Lost Children by Angelo Badalamenti. Has the typically dreamy, ethereal synth sound of his that I enjoy (and was explored to perfection in The Straight Story). But they're a bit stranger here. The beautiful 'Miette' is a particularly stunning cue.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone

Great music, of course. But the reason I chose to listen to this tonight is because I just finished watching a film called Golden Queens Commando that totally stole music from this soundtrack several times. I think other music was stolen from other movies too, but I'm only familiar with this one. I'm surprised the film could get away with this. I'm uploading this PG-13 style movie to youtube if anyone is interested in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Les Aventures de Tintin - Ray Parker, Jim Morgan, Tom Szczesniak

Anyone has listened to this? It is the score of the 1992 tv series adaptation of the comics. Though the score's clearly sampled or synthesized (not live recorded) IMHO it is a very well composed and fitting score not only for the series but it's very good for a standalone listen. The main theme is gorgeous and ethnic music is fantastic.

Favourite tracks -

01 - Les Aventures de Tintin (Générique)
    02 - Le Pays de la soif
    04 - La Rue de la tranquillité
    05 - Rawahjpoutalah
    06 - Carnaval à San Theodoros
    07 - Château Kropov
    08 - Derrière la chute d'eau
    09 - Hipparque.
    11 - Retour à Moulinsart
    12 - Tintin et Compagnie

My rating - 4.5 out of 5
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah... Granted, they are better than the synthesized junk, which is pure crap.

That is so true but they're also heavily inferior to many other orchestras.

n.p. HANS ZIMMER - tears of the sun

A score that carries many good musical elements and the tradermarked Zimmer sound over it and which gets very intense and dramatic toward the final act despite the bad synth first quarter of it on Cd. Somehow, it got particularly overlooked through the years.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

The Masterpiece of 1994! biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Except for the Planets rip offs, this score is a great one IMHO. Great action music and themes, and the chorals in Am I Not Merciful? are probably as close to a LoTR sound as Zimmer can probably get, they always remind me of the Nazgul music.

4 out of 5! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Wow...Even me im tired to read so many NP: "*" Hans Zimmer!!! dizzy shocked tongue wink

NP:Planet of the Apes (Goldsmith)

I hardly listen this score, but im in the right mood today to listening music from one of my All time favourite movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: "Looking At Heaven" from Tombstone @ StreamingSoundtracks.com - Bruce Broughton

yoohoo it's really great!! punk Sadly it's hard to buy this album today sad

What chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?!

TOMBSTONE is very much available and in print at Intrada in expanded form.
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4745/.f

-Erik-

I didn't know a new edition was released! (Amazon.co.jp doesn't deal with those special editions...) Thanks.

Tombstone [Main Theme Only]... shocked

NP: Howl's Moving Castle (Soundtrack) - Joe Hisaishi

I'm in Hisaishi-mood recently... because a theater near my home plays "Ponyo song" everyday dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALAN SILVESTRI - Beowulf

We shall officially rename this emoticon to the Beowulf emoticon: punk

wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Erik Woods wrote
    You mean THIS FIGHTING MUSIC!

biggrin

-Erik-

Haha!! applause
    Thank you so much, made my day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nautilus wrote
    Wow...Even me im tired to read so many NP: "*" Hans Zimmer!!! dizzy shocked tongue wink

biggrin

Right indeed. No need to post every day you listen to the Lion King Demon. wink tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregt wrote
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin

Right indeed. No need to post every day you listen to the Lion King Demon. wink tongue

Right! But I've played only 2 Zimmer scores today so far.... lol

NP: Stargate - David Arnold

My #1 favourite Arnold score!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote

NP: Stargate - David Arnold

My #1 favourite Arnold score!! punk

My favourite too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer & John Powell

I saw the movie yesterday, and as much as I loved this score before watching the movie, that´s nothing compared to the fantastic burst of adrenaline it gives me now. The score was a bit downplayed in the german dubbing (don´t know about the original version, obviously), but still noticable enough, and the end title suite was fantastic to listen to in the theatre.

One of the best scores this year, without any question.
  3. Alfred Newman - The Robe

Great epic work by the master of lyrical theme. VERY similar to Greatest Story Ever Told. This guy doesn't get enough listening on these threads, does he?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Great epic work by the master of lyrical theme. VERY similar to Greatest Story Ever Told. This guy doesn't get enough listening on these threads, does he?

Nice pun. biggrin
  4. I made a pun? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Robe

This guy doesn't get enough listening on these threads, does he?

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Bravo! Excellent score and what a fantastic release by Varese. Who would have thought that a 3000 copies limited edition of an Alfred Newman score would be sold out so quickly. For those that have the album, give it another spin. Brilliant music. "The Crucifixion" is easily the scores highlight. A 2 disc masterpiece from Varese which, IMHO, should have been a regular non-limited edition release. And for those that just want to hear highlights give Charles Gerhardt suite a listen. It's the last track on the Captain From Castile:The Classic Film scores of Alfred Newman album

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin

Jordi should just read through all his own postings.....he'd soon get tired! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin

Jordi should just read through all his own postings.....he'd soon get tired! wink

Yeah... at least I don't mention Lion King 5 times a day cheesy

NP: Face Off - John Powell

Bombarding action!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin

You shouldn't listen to the Lion King Demon anyway, he's evil.

(I'm sorry, I'm bored and I've got nothing better to do that find lame puns and double meanings. shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Alfred Newman - The Robe

Bravo! Excellent score and what a fantastic release by Varese. Who would have thought that a 3000 copies limited edition of an Alfred Newman score would be sold out so quickly. For those that have the album, give it another spin. Brilliant music. "The Crucifixion" is easily the scores highlight. A 2 disc masterpiece from Varese which, IMHO, should have been a regular non-limited edition release. And for those that just want to hear highlights give Charles Gerhardt suite a listen. It's the last track on the Captain From Castile:The Classic Film scores of Alfred Newman album

-Erik-

I've not much else to add, just that it's great to see a GIANT of a score amongst so many minnows cool