• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Steven wrote
    You shouldn't listen to the Lion King Demon anyway, he's evil.

dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the Prague orchestra film music re-recordings, i agree, most of the sound ridiculously bad and amateurish. Very bad stuff.

Nonsense!

You're being overly harsh here D, "ridiculously bad"? "amateurish"? They may not be the LSO or Berlin but they're hardly the high school band! Many of the re-recordings aren't available elsewhere and some are not possible with bigger name orchestra due to costs. Without the Prague my collection would be missing some fantastic works.

Finally an agreeable soul! Here I was thinking I was the oddball shocked

An oddball? Amongst film score fans? Surely not!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    You shouldn't listen to the Lion King Demon anyway, he's evil.

dizzy

An Elfman telling a Demon that a Lion King is Evil? dizzy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Great score! The OST, however, leaves me wanting much, much more... I'm no expert on this score, but the soundtrack just leaves me feeling it's very incomplete, missing a lot from the full score. sad

Favorite tracks:

1. Jack Sparrow
    2. The Kraken
    3. Davy Jones
    5. Dinner Is Served
    7. Two Hornpipes (Tortuga)
    9. Wheel of Fortune

********************!! PoTC Spoilers Alert !!*********************

Yeah, there's quite a lot of good stuff missing from the official album, like

- Three fourths of the Cannibal Island Chase
    - The Compass and drunk Jack scene
    - A portion of the Tia Dalma track
    - The Flying Dutchman's Arrival, talk b/w Jones and Jack
    - "Summon The Kraken" and the Flying Dutchman submerges
    - The opening and full second half of the Fight over the Chest sequence
    - Davy Jones' organ theme (film version)
    - The second Kraken attack

It's very little compared how much is missing from At World's End!! tongue

NP: Tarzan - Mark Mancina

Not much but I like the jungle drums and native instruments stuffs wink

And I still like the At World's End soundtrack better! wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote

Me too! AWE is the best of the three, IMO. Hoist the Colours theme is epic! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Me too! AWE is the best of the three, IMO.

I sort of go back and forth between the The Curse of the Black Pearl score and the At World's End score as my favorite of the three. Both are very good, IMO, and it's hard to decide which I like best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the Prague orchestra film music re-recordings, i agree, most of the sound ridiculously bad and amateurish. Very bad stuff.

Nonsense!

You're being overly harsh here D, "ridiculously bad"? "amateurish"? They may not be the LSO or Berlin but they're hardly the high school band! Many of the re-recordings aren't available elsewhere and some are not possible with bigger name orchestra due to costs. Without the Prague my collection would be missing some fantastic works.

Very true. I might come down a bit hard on the Prague Philharmonic and their recordings but Timmer is right when he says that they give us recordings of works no where else to be found. For instance, they recorded the only commercially available version of The Mummy Returns End Credits (Film Version) on their fantasy CD. Having said that I still can't stomach a lot of their work. I've been a film music collector for quite sometime now and I rarely reach for the Prague recordings when I have vastly superior recordings else where.

But, there are a few albums that I do like... besides the Tadlow recordings here are some...

- The Essential Bernard Herrmann Film Music Collection (Thanks to Steven and Michael (franz) for reintroducing this to me. Very well performed.

- The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Film Music Collection (Only solid album with a fantastic performance of The Omen suite)

- The Essential John Williams Film Music Collection ( I find that the Prague Phil can't keep up with Williams music but this is the only album where you will find a lengthy suite from The Rare Breed)

- Any of their John Barry albums. The slow moving music is easy to perform and as mentioned earlier Nic Raine is a HUGE Barry fan so there is some extra love and care taken with those recordings.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Nic Raine also helped Barry to orchestrate some of his later scores so the extra love and care may be also due to that smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nic Raine also helped Barry to orchestrate some of his later scores so the extra love and care may be also due to that smile

True! Off the top of my head I know Raine orchestrated The Living Daylights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote

- The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Film Music Collection (Only solid album with a fantastic performance of The Omen suite)

- The Essential John Williams Film Music Collection ( I find that the Prague Phil can't keep up with Williams music but this is the only album where you will find a lengthy suite from The Rare Breed)

-Erik-

I love the Jerry Goldsmith compilation as well. A nice selection of known and unknown material from the master.

The John Williams album contains a splendid suite called 'The Cowboys', that always gets my blood pumping. Truly amazing performance. I also prefer the version of 'Hymn to the Fallen' on this album.

Silva also released The Fantasy Album on which the 'Conan the Barbarian' and 'Batman' suites rank among my most loved tracks. On the other hand I don't like the Gladiator track.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Nic Raine also helped Barry to orchestrate some of his later scores so the extra love and care may be also due to that smile

I remember him more as the co-orchestrator of Cry, the Beloved Country.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

That's a fine score too, very underplayed by myself even shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    The John Williams album contains a splendid suite called 'The Cowboys', that always gets my blood pumping. Truly amazing performance. I also prefer the version of 'Hymn to the Fallen' on this album.

Not sure if you have this album but the Boston Pops performance of The Cowboys suite - with Williams conducting - is the definitive one. you can find it on By Request... the Very Best of John Williams and The Boston Pops. As for Hymn To The Fallen... I'll always prefer the original.

DreamTheater wrote
    Silva also released The Fantasy Album on which the 'Conan the Barbarian' and 'Batman' suites rank among my most loved tracks. On the other hand I don't like the Gladiator track.

Conan is alright. The anvil "clangs" are a bit much. The Batman suite isn't bad either but the all time best Batman suite is on Erich Kunzel's Fantastic Journey album. It's splendid and unique 15 minute suite that is one of the all time best re-recordings.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Matrix Reloaded (Complete) Don Davis

One of the finest scores of this millennium, along with Revolutions. More than deserves an official release, even if it was just a limited release. I'm sure they'd sell like no tomorrow.

My favourite track from this score and one of my top 3 from all three Matrix films is the criminally unused 'Chateau Swashbuckling'. Rob Dougan's 'Chateau' was awesome, but Davis's version for that scene is on a completely other level!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

My favourite track from this score and one of my top 3 from all three Matrix films is the criminally unused 'Chateau Swashbuckling'. Rob Dougan's 'Chateau' was awesome, but Davis's version for that scene is on a completely other level! [/blue]

And here is how it would have worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBNtU4gm4PE

It's the type of piece that hits all the sync points perfectly. From woodwind flourishes to the trademark Matrix horn call! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! But I also think the Dougan piece works extremely well as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

My favourite track from this score and one of my top 3 from all three Matrix films is the criminally unused 'Chateau Swashbuckling'. Rob Dougan's 'Chateau' was awesome, but Davis's version for that scene is on a completely other level! [/blue]

It's the type of piece that hits all the sync points perfectly. From woodwind flourishes to the trademark Matrix horn call! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

-Erik-

More proof that a strictly modern approach is not always the best approach for a strictly modern film. FUCKING PROOF!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    That was fucking awesome!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FUCK YA!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I think of him more as the orchestrator of every Barry score (and indeed every Barry piece of music, including the non-film stuff) since Chaplin.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Sublime work cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    FUCK YA!

-Erik-

Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

It's the type of piece that hits all the sync points perfectly. From woodwind flourishes to the trademark Matrix horn call! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

-Erik-

More proof that a strictly modern approach is not always the best approach for a strictly modern film. FUCKING PROOF!!

Ha! What do you know? Mr. Nolan, Mr. Zimmer and Mr. JNH would prove you wrong. They would toss it off as too many notes, giving away too much for the character, being misinformative and such. Don't look at me, read that interview wink :

You wrote a theme for the first one that had never been used, that you said in an interview you saved for sequel. Did you get to use it this time?

HZ: It's in, twice.

JNH: Do your theme speech. Because I think it's really good.

HZ: It's something that occurred to me. I have a feeling that out there in the world, there are people waiting for James and me to "come to our senses" and stop this dark nonsense with the iconic two-note thing and write a happy jolly theme like the old Batman. You know, like the Danny Elfman one. It ain't gonna happen. Because this is not the world we're in. This is not the character we're doing. It's not the movies we're doing. They just need to get over that. For our Batman, it would just be wrong.

JNH: It would give you too much information about this character, which is not true. It would be misinformation. When you assign a heroic theme to something, some kind of a tune, you're giving away a lot of information that may or may not be true about this guy. We still don't really know who Batman is yet. Very complex, he's constantly evolving that character. He doesn't know who he is. We feel that it's much stronger to say less, musically, about him and let his character sort of speak for himself.

Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Nonsense!

Very true.

Really? I think you've forgotten http://hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=684 very fast. We are not talking about going to an orchestra's gig that does film music once in their lifetime and you happily clap clap and congratulate the effort, no matter the result. We're talking about an orchestra that constantly does that, re-record film music and all, and doesn't do it good at all. There might be exceptions indeed and i apologize if my tone offended anyone or was over the top, but the fact remains that their film music-related performances are generally poor at best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Huh? Using a theme or not is a completely different discussion then the modern/traditional approach one confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Huh? Using a theme or not is a completely different discussion then the modern/traditional approach one confused

Using a bold theme is - evidently - not relevant at all to a minimalistic, atmospheric - heavy on electronics approach like the one by JNH and Zimmer for Nolan's Batman.

Using a bold, grand theme IS an integral part of a more traditional film scoring approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

You wrote a theme for the first one that had never been used, that you said in an interview you saved for sequel. Did you get to use it this time?

HZ: It's in, twice.

JNH: Do your theme speech. Because I think it's really good.

HZ: It's something that occurred to me. I have a feeling that out there in the world, there are people waiting for James and me to "come to our senses" and stop this dark nonsense with the iconic two-note thing and write a happy jolly theme like the old Batman. You know, like the Danny Elfman one. It ain't gonna happen. Because this is not the world we're in. This is not the character we're doing. It's not the movies we're doing. They just need to get over that. For our Batman, it would just be wrong.

JNH: It would give you too much information about this character, which is not true. It would be misinformation. When you assign a heroic theme to something, some kind of a tune, you're giving away a lot of information that may or may not be true about this guy. We still don't really know who Batman is yet. Very complex, he's constantly evolving that character. He doesn't know who he is. We feel that it's much stronger to say less, musically, about him and let his character sort of speak for himself.

I hate it when genuinely smart people say dumb things. sad

Zimmer wrongly assumes that the people who want them to 'come to their senses' also want a jolly happy theme like 'the old Batman'. Utter bullshit! We just want a better theme you nonce. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My favourite part is that he thinks their two-note theme is "iconic"! Amongst whom!? I can think of one two-note theme in film music which is iconic and Batman Begins, it ain't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Zimmer wrongly assumes that the people who want them to 'come to their senses' also want a jolly happy theme like 'the old Batman'. Utter bullshit! We just want a better theme you nonce. dizzy

That's what i didn't like as well. It's like devaluating everyone's intelligence with such kind of comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Aquamarine - David Hirschfelder

I had assumed from the packaging that this was going to be some twinkly piano romcom music so I hadn't bothered listening to it for a while, but it's a lot more than that. Most unexpected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Really? I think you've forgotten http://hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=684 very fast. We are not talking about going to an orchestra's gig that does film music once in their lifetime and you happily clap clap and congratulate the effort, no matter the result. We're talking about an orchestra that constantly does that, re-record film music and all, and doesn't do it good at all. There might be exceptions indeed and i apologize if my tone offended anyone or was over the top, but the fact remains that their film music-related performances are generally poor at best.

Well, I mentioned before that its hard to duplicate Zimmer's style and sound with a symphony orchestra alone. Even Kunzel continues to fail at it.

Back to the Prague Phil... as I said before they are getting better AND their actual film score recordings (ie The Iron Giant, Urban Legends 2 just to name a few) do sound very polished and professional... if they get the time needed to rehearse and are given the time love and care a score needs to make it sound perfect. You just don't rush through a real film session. But it seems like the re-recordings are rushed, mistakes are acceptable and poor performances are shrugged off - again, except for the new Tadlow recordings.

-Erik-