• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008
    Where's Erik?

Come back man, you are missed! wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008 edited
    NP: KUNG FU PANDA - Hans Zimmer & John Powell

Sure, it's got several moments of 'that's nice', a track of 'that's kinda beautiful' and a couple of 'musical coolness'. However, that's what makes a score 'fun for the moment' and not a 'masterpiece' nor 'classic' by any means. In totalness, Kung Fu Panda shows craftsmanship for sure but, hey, I would be disappointed if we got anything less.

Zimmer and Powell are doing what they're good at, and they (surprise, surprise) succeed. It doesn't offer any surprises, nor does it deliver anything they haven't already done before in a better fashion, for a score that fails to deliver a single stunning 'wow'-moment, let alone a total package of pure quality. Truth be told, I can't even remember the theme, now it's finished.

In this summer of low quality (only Indy truly delivered), Kung Fu Panda knows how to score. In the grand scheme of things, however, this will be easier forgotten then The Prince of Egypt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Truth be told, I can't even remember the theme, now it's finished.

Doesn't this apply to a vast majority of scores? I think that's partly a human fault as well as the composer's 'fault', arguably.

It's a really fun score, it's just been over-hyped by Jordi unfortunately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Truth be told, I can't even remember the theme, now it's finished.

Doesn't this apply to a vast majority of scores? I think that's partly a human fault as well as the composer's 'fault', arguably.

Well, I normally come out of a score humming a theme or two, which doesn't happen for me this time (instead, I'm stuck with Everybody loves kung fu fighting slant ). Sure, it doesn't need to, I'm perfectly happy with a themeless score, but with these two composers, you just badly want to. And, yeah, the Jordi hype certainly influenced me wink

And, sure, it's got moments of fun, I'm not arguing that. These two gentlemen delivered a fitting score that's certainly a highlight for this summer. But please, recognise it within those boundaries wink

Kung fu fighting.... yeaheah.... DARN IT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    I'm perfectly happy with a themeless score

It has themes, and I can remember them pretty well after so-many listens.

And, sure, it's got moments of fun, I'm not arguing that. These two gentlemen delivered a fitting score that's certainly a highlight for this summer. But please, recognise it within those boundaries wink

I recognise it well within those boundaries, trust me. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying it on an AWESOME-TO-THE-MAX kind of level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote

Yeah, yeah, I know it's got themes, I just forgot them really easily. Just saying I don't need to remember them normally and I'm perfectly happy if I don't hum a theme and can still enjoy a score to the max without it, but now, I wanted to hum them afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...I am somewhat of a freak when it comes to music though. I was humming John Williams' War of the Worlds after my first listen. dizzy
  1. @ KFP Themes: After the first day or two playing it, I was out of home, and I had both themes in my head the whole day. Couldn´t get rid of them!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CROSSED SWORDS ( aka THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER ) - Maurice Jarre

Fantastic score for which FSM are to be applauded cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    @ KFP Themes: After the first day or two playing it, I was out of home, and I had both themes in my head the whole day. Couldn´t get rid of them!!!

Add to the two main themes the "Tai Lung Theme".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

Sweet! cool
  2. Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Chicago Joe And The Showgirl (1990) - Hans Zimmer & Shirley Walker

Beautiful score with a perfect theme !

According to Walker in an interview, for legal reasons Zimmer's name had to appear, but the score is only by herself.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. You beat me to it, Justin.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Chicago Joe And The Showgirl (1990) - Hans Zimmer & Shirley Walker

Beautiful score with a perfect theme !

According to Walker in an interview, for legal reasons Zimmer's name had to appear, but the score is only by herself.

That certainly makes sense, having seen the film a couple of times I don't remember anything sounding like Zimmer.
  4. "Beautiful score with a perfect theme !"

Now ask yourself: does that sond like Zimmer? wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Jordi's Favorite Score - You-Know-Who

I have to say it's really grown on me... I can't help but put "Up Is Down" on repeat. It's my favorite track next to "At Wit's End" and "I Don't Think Now is the First Time."

I desperately wish The Dark Knight will be at least half as fun as this score. Shame that Christopher Nolan rarely lets any composer let the music swell and fully envelop the audience into the story.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Jordi's Favorite Score - You-Know-Who

I have to say it's really grown on me... I can't help but put "Up Is Down" on repeat. It's my favorite track next to "At Wit's End" and "I Don't Think Now is the First Time."

I desperately wish The Dark Knight will be at least half as fun as this score. Shame that Christopher Nolan rarely lets any composer let the music swell and fully envelop the audience into the story.

beer

Do you have the suites put into the original cd (well in a CD-R)? It's a perfect listening experience.

NP:King Arthur (Zimmer)

Pure Zimmer Power. it was an incredible surprised after his more The Thin Red Line oriented scores such as Tears of the sun and The Last Samurai.

Sadly, AWE arrived biggrin but the last minutes of "all of them" still are my favourites moments of Zimmer's career with one of the most Zimmer's themes ever created (8:30 a very symphonic moments with the rythm in the base)

When "tell me now" theme is heard in Budge meeting.... punk Talking about this theme, I LOVE, LOVE "TELL ME NOW" SONG. It reminds me to In Dreams-Final Fantasy song. A touch of new age and a touch of Pop. TOUCHING!

oh! And...Does anyone think the Pipes in the action stuff from Woads to Ruin are used like Electric guitars in the Rock?

(anyway, this reverb is killing me)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote

Dragon Warrior Rised presents the 2 main themes. And then in Pando Po and Oogsay Ascends.

They are not so obvious like Prince or Ice Age 2 , thought. because they are more middle eastern themes.

Im not the only one who over hyped Kung Fu panda, Marselus did it too. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Im not the only one who over hyped Kung Fu panda, Marselus did it too. tongue

I still do biggrin
    The three main themes are pretty addictive and are presented with so varied arrangements / orchestrations that make for a great listening experience.
    And for a score I had zero expectations in, that´s more than enough.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote

Pure Zimmer Power. it was an incredible surprised after his more The Thin Red Line oriented scores such as Tears of the sun and The Last Samurai.

Sadly, AWE arrived biggrin but the last minutes of "all of them" still are my favourites moments of Zimmer's career with one of the most Zimmer's themes ever created (8:30 a very symphonic moments with the rythm in the base)

When "tell me now" theme is heard in Budge meeting.... punk Talking about this theme, I LOVE, LOVE "TELL ME NOW" SONG. It reminds me to In Dreams-Final Fantasy song. A touch of new age and a touch of Pop. TOUCHING!

oh! And...Does anyone think the Pipes in the action stuff from Woads to Ruin are used like Electric guitars in the Rock?

Yeah, that's Zimmer signature stuff, baby! punk Though my favourite tracks are "Do You Think I'm Saxon" and "Budget Meeting".

NP: Beauty and The Beast - Alan Menken

A classic new-age Disney score release with five short, but excellent score tracks, which together with the unused track Wolf Attack from Music Behind The Magic make a nice listening experience.

Walt Disney Records are going to go completely bankrupt and be spotted mopping the floors of houses if they do a few limited edition extended scores, aren't they? angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Im doing a Session: Kull - Scorpion King - Beowulf

Sounds like a great idea to me. There are certain similarities. wink

Only Scorpion King is significantly inferior to both of the other 2.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, that's Zimmer signature stuff, baby! punk Though my favourite tracks are "Do You Think I'm Saxon" and "Budget Meeting".

KING ARTHUR heavily ROCKS! punk

Anything other than that is an understatement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Road to El Dorado - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

A very fine and exquisite score, IMO. Shame they released only three tracks on the OST tongue But a winner, nevertheless! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ratatouille Michael Giacchino

I'm utterly indignant to unfairly negative opinions about this little masterpiece, so I'm playing the equally brilliant score in total... indignation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Where's Erik?

Come back man, you are missed! wave

I was on vacation. Disney World.

Anyway, I'm sticking to my word and will be spending less and less time here. But I'll still be reading and contributing when I can.

On my return home Sunday evening I was greeting by some new scores. I'm currently giving them a spin as I prepare more radio shows.

NP: Kung-Fu Panda- - John Powell and Hans Zimmer

I'm sure that there is more of a Powell influence in this score than Zimmer. Anyway, this is mightily entertaining. Lots of fun! I'm looking forward to giving this one another spin soon.

Coming up...

- The Happening (James Newton Howard) - lots of good stuff being said about this one... the score I mean.
    - Mancini's Greatest Hits (Erich Kunzel) - A friend forwarded me this album. One of only a few Kunzel albums that I don't have. Looking forward to revisiting Mancini's wonderful tunes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Anyway, I'm sticking to my word and will be spending less and less time here.

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hey Erik, how was the holiday.
    Relaxing enough wit Liam? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Anyway, I'm sticking to my word and will be spending less and less time here.

confused

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 06#Item_23

Bregt wrote
    Hey Erik, how was the holiday.
    Relaxing enough wit Liam? wink

Check out my facebook for pics.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i read that Erik, but i didn't assume you'd actually "leave" us for that alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, i read that Erik, but i didn't assume you'd actually "leave" us for that alone.

It was something that tipped me over the edge. I'm not completely happy with where this board is going. Not so much the people - who I love - but with the direction of conversation and the topics being discussed. I'm finding that a lot of the conversation is going way off topic which is polluting this board and is really irritating me. See, it's happening here. This is the Now Playing thread and I'm discussing my leave of absence. rolleyes So, I'm going to step back and see what happens.

-Erik-