• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Southall wrote
    My favourite part is that he thinks their two-note theme is "iconic"! Amongst whom!? I can think of one two-note theme in film music which is iconic and Batman Begins, it ain't.

biggrin And even THAT theme which IS iconic is more than just the two notes!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    My favourite part is that he thinks their two-note theme is "iconic"! Amongst whom!? I can think of one two-note theme in film music which is iconic and Batman Begins, it ain't.

biggrin And even THAT theme which IS iconic is more than just the two notes!

-Erik-

beer cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You wrote a theme for the first one that had never been used, that you said in an interview you saved for sequel. Did you get to use it this time?

HZ: It's in, twice.

JNH: Do your theme speech. Because I think it's really good.

HZ: It's something that occurred to me. I have a feeling that out there in the world, there are people waiting for James and me to "come to our senses" and stop this dark nonsense with the iconic two-note thing and write a happy jolly theme like the old Batman. You know, like the Danny Elfman one. It ain't gonna happen. Because this is not the world we're in. This is not the character we're doing. It's not the movies we're doing. They just need to get over that. For our Batman, it would just be wrong.

JNH: It would give you too much information about this character, which is not true. It would be misinformation. When you assign a heroic theme to something, some kind of a tune, you're giving away a lot of information that may or may not be true about this guy. We still don't really know who Batman is yet. Very complex, he's constantly evolving that character. He doesn't know who he is. We feel that it's much stronger to say less, musically, about him and let his character sort of speak for himself.

I hate it when genuinely smart people say dumb things. sad

Zimmer wrongly assumes that the people who want them to 'come to their senses' also want a jolly happy theme like 'the old Batman'. Utter bullshit! We just want a better theme you nonce. dizzy

Word!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Huh? Using a theme or not is a completely different discussion then the modern/traditional approach one confused

Using a bold theme is - evidently - not relevant at all to a minimalistic, atmospheric - heavy on electronics approach like the one by JNH and Zimmer for Nolan's Batman.

Using a bold, grand theme IS an integral part of a more traditional film scoring approach.

I was just so glad that old discussion, in which the same arguments are repeated over and over, was confined to the Dark Knight thread, which I choose not to read, and once again, it's brought to over here rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Huh? Using a theme or not is a completely different discussion then the modern/traditional approach one confused

Using a bold theme is - evidently - not relevant at all to a minimalistic, atmospheric - heavy on electronics approach like the one by JNH and Zimmer for Nolan's Batman.

Using a bold, grand theme IS an integral part of a more traditional film scoring approach.

I was just so glad that old discussion, in which the same arguments are repeated over and over, was confined to the Dark Knight thread, which I choose not to read, and once again, it's brought to over here rolleyes

Yet, you keep responding to the discussion, or bating the rest of us by continuing to bring up your same old tired arguments... provoked or not. Obviously, Zimmer and JNH have struck a cord here with their Batman music and have divided film score fans into two separate groups and it looks like the debate over whether their approach worked or not will continue for better or worse. It's inevitable. I think we are all going to have to get use to this "tired old debate" for the many years to come because film score fans on both sides of the coin feel so very strongly concerning their opinions on this matter.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bob, if you just leave the Zimmer defense system off for a while, and take it a bit more generally, logically and musically you might realize that there IS a point to what we are discussing above: 1) standard, more "old-fashioned" orchestral approaches carry and are built around bold themes or even leitmotifs usually, and are a lot different to what Zimmer and JNH did for Nolan and that 2) Zimmer assumes stuff about the others that isn't right or as it is meant because he was to justify his actions, that's the way he wants to understand things - or make people think that he understood them in that way, 'cause that justifies and empowers his arguments. That doesn't mean we are all dumb and so stupid as to not being able to differentiate a happily jolly main theme from a bold theme in general. smile

p.s. sorry i was harsh in the other thread, i just took "ironic" in its bad sense while i realized you probably meant it otherwise. beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hancock | John Powell

As listenable as most of the tracks are, it's way too easy to just put a few cues into a playlist:

1. SUV Chase
    2. The opening portion of Train Disaster.
    3. To War
    4. Hollywood Blvd
    5. The Moon And The Superhero

...all done in about 15 minutes.

You're too harsh. What about Getting Therapy?

Hey, I know my opinions aren't always positive, but I'm not getting a shrink. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RANSOM - Jerry Goldsmith

Quirky score for this old Sean Connery film, varied and very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Big Fish - Danny Elfman

Probably my favourite Elfman score, the Finale cue is gorgeous and I remember it working so well in the film.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Man With the Golden Gun - John Barry

Probably the least of Barry's Bond scores; and probably still better than the best of anyone else's.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jaws | John Williams

First listen! I picked this up cheap (the original 35 minute version). It was good...but not anything amazing. The 2 note motif didn't seem particularly interesting, but I've yet to see the film, so it may work wonders there.

And I hate bringing him up in nearly everything now ( tongue ), but I swear Michael Giacchino based some Lost stuff on this. The raw use of piano and the French Horn in "Awed And Shocked" from Lost sounds just like parts of "The Underwater Siege". Sweet. punk

(And isn't that Hurley's theme at the beginning of "Chrissie's Death"?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Man With the Golden Gun - John Barry

Probably the least of Barry's Bond scores; and probably still better than the best of anyone else's.

Perhaps. Still, I'd rather listen to an Arnold Bond score regardless of whether Barry's scores are better or not. I do enjoy them from time to time though.

The Majestic Mark Isham

A lovely, non-intrusive score. Doesn't bat you over the head with sentimentality (which I've stated before I don't think is necessarily a bad thing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Jaws | John Williams

First listen! I picked this up cheap (the original 35 minute version). It was good...but not anything amazing. The 2 note motif didn't seem particularly interesting, but I've yet to see the film, so it may work wonders there.[/small]

It does. I highly recommend the film as I'm sure almost every who's seen it will. Great score to a great film, and so much more than the famous Jaws theme. Time to open your ears boyo.
  1. Southall wrote

These films will make that two chord progression famous, mark my words. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bob, if you just leave the Zimmer defense system off for a while, and take it a bit more generally...

Alright, well, I had typed a whole reaction, but, what's the point? Bottom line is, I don't have a Zimmer defence system. Never had, even, and the fact you keep saying I do, probably shows you're not really reading my posts either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bob, if you just leave the Zimmer defense system off for a while, and take it a bit more generally...

Alright, well, I had typed a whole reaction, but, what's the point? Bottom line is, I don't have a Zimmer defence system. Never had, even, and the fact you keep saying I do, probably shows you're not really reading my posts either.

Yeah, but to be fair the hat doesn't always have to go on the head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

Meaning...? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Meaning...? confused

<whispers very quietly as not to ruin the joke too much>

A joke concerning not reading posts properly. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Meaning...? confused

Hehe, I'm sure it's utterly hilarious, but... I don't get it? I'm sure it's because I'm Dutch wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Jaws | John Williams

First listen! I picked this up cheap (the original 35 minute version). It was good...but not anything amazing. The 2 note motif didn't seem particularly interesting, but I've yet to see the film, so it may work wonders there.

And I hate bringing him up in nearly everything now ( tongue ), but I swear Michael Giacchino based some Lost stuff on this. The raw use of piano and the French Horn in "Awed And Shocked" from Lost sounds just like parts of "The Underwater Siege". Sweet. punk

I think they're both pretty inspired by Stravinsky. And Lost leans heavily on Bartok at times too.

Still, I can't get over your muted reaction to Jaws! I thought that was a safe one that everyone loved. The film is terrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Jaws | John Williams

I think they're both pretty inspired by Stravinsky. And Lost leans heavily on Bartok at times too.

Still, I can't get over your muted reaction to Jaws! I thought that was a safe one that everyone loved. The film is terrific.

With comments like "It was good...but not anything amazing" and "The 2 note motif didn't seem particularly interesting", much to learn he has. Much to learn. <shakes head despairingly and thoughtfully... you know, like Yoda would>
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Meaning...? confused

Hehe, I'm sure it's utterly hilarious, but... I don't get it? I'm sure it's because I'm Dutch wink

No,no, no don't you worry there's nothing wrong with being Dutch; problem is you're not British ; you know, their humor, their drinking problems, their queen, stuff like that.

Oh; forgot to add their suuunnnnnn.....

biggrin

(j/k of course, love you mates! kiss )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Our humour? Best in the world, along with Australian and American humour. Our drinking problems? Er... okay, you got us there. Our queen? Pfft, f*ck that bitch. The weather? Yeah, not always great to be honest.

Ah. Looks like I'm agreeing with most of what you said! shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ghost Rider Christopher Young

A nice relaxing score to fall asleep to in the early hours of the morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmm....Ghost Rider, relaxing. Only if you're high on meth or worse *hint* *hint* biggrin
  2. NP: The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt

Although it does sound derivative of other composers, I still think this is one of his better effort. Plus, it is also enjoyable on its own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt

Although it does sound derivative of other composers, I still think this is one of his better effort. Plus, it is also enjoyable on its own.

I agree. Along with EQUILIBRIUM, THE PROMISE and even the dark THE PLEDGE. NED KELLY and K-19: WIDOWMAKER are also interesting while RESCUE DAWN and INVINCIBLE are probably his best scores to date, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE PLEDGE

Ah, I thought I were the only one who likes this. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt

I agree. Along with EQUILIBRIUM, THE PROMISE and even the dark THE PLEDGE. NED KELLY and K-19: WIDOWMAKER are also interesting while RESCUE DAWN and INVINCIBLE are probably his best scores to date, imo.

Agree. All these are Badelt´s best works ´til date. I like specially K-19 and Invincible, but the rest is his top stuff too.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Jaws | John Williams

With comments like "It was good...but not anything amazing" and "The 2 note motif didn't seem particularly interesting", much to learn he has. Much to learn. <shakes head despairingly and thoughtfully... you know, like Yoda would>

I've gotta ask.

ANTHONY, have you ever seen the film?

I'll not continue till I hear an answer?