• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    NP: Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban - John Williams

A Window To The Past has to be one of the best pieces ever written by Williams IMO, so haunting and yet so beautiful!! shocked moon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I have so much material these days what with the reviewing etc that I listen to once or twice and then I never hear it again. This one I go back to over and over. I will one day publish my 100 of all time.
    Tom smile

I'd certainly like to know your 100 of all time.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I could name a good few of your 100 myself wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams

Good compilation of original trilogy Star Wars tracks, conducted and played very well by John Williams and the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra, respectively. Excellent sound quality, too! biggrin

Favorite tracks:

1. Main Theme (From "Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope") [Insrumental]
    4. The Imperial March (From "Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back") [Instrumental]
    5. Yoda's Theme (From "Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back") [Instrumental]
    10. Here They Come! (From "Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope") [Insrumental]
    12. The Forest Battle (From "Star Wars, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi") [Instrumental]
    13. Throne Room and Finale (From "Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope") [Insrumental]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HAMLET - Ennio Morricone

God but I love this score! From the blasting organ near the begining to the traquil yet ethereal moments with more than a touch of Wagner.

Just wonderful and I'm playing quite loud!

A big thank you to Alan for this wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

Now this, THIS is a Bond sore! punk cool

And absolutely perfect playing for this gorgeous summer evening. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Dark Knight You Know Who

I read once on this forum that 'Harvey Two-Face' was a highlight of JNH's career. Well, it's a good track, but a highlight of his career? No.

So far nothing has really peaked my interest. I'm sure it works fine in the movie though which I can't wait to see!

Edit: 'Like A Dog Chasing Cars' is pretty exciting. I like it. Here's hoping for more...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote

I read once on this forum that 'Harvey Two-Face' was a highlight of JNH's career. Well, it's a good track, but a highlight of his career? No.

So far nothing has really peaked my interest. I'm sure it works fine in the movie though which I can't wait to see!

Edit: 'Like A Dog Chasing Cars' is pretty exciting. I like it. Here's hoping for more...

Yeah, the rest is not that great as an album. Now to play a score from Zimmer I actually enjoy...

Kung Fu Panda Zimmer and Powell

I know it's hyped a lot, but I do love this one, especially now that I've seen the film. cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    NP: Kiki's Delivery Service - Joe Hisaishi

Perfect for a sunday afternoon.

I prefer these "older" Ghibli-Hisaishi scores (Totoro, Porco Rosso) to newer ones such as Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. It's partly because of nostalgia (I saw those movies countless times as a kid biggrin ), but I think they're more energetic and memorable.

Oh I love this score. It was the first Ghibli movie that I saw and the first Joe Hisaishi music that I ever heard. It really is great music. Even the Japanese songs at the end are good, even though I have no idea what they say.
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Mulan (promo) - Jerry Goldsmith

Like Atlantis: The Lost Empire, I feel there are two halves of this score too - the first not-so-serious with some developing thematic material, and the second with great action music, ethnic stuff and a sadly underused choir. One of my current Top 10 scores, and one of the best by Maestro Goldsmith!

My rating - 4.5 out of 5!

I swear we are always listening to the same music at the same time accidentally. I just listened to this the other night for the first time in ages, and I enjoyed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Passion Of The Christ - John Debney

Dark, haunting, powerful and incredibly evocative. Nothing short of a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lost Season 3 - Michael Giacchino

I like this, but I wish I hadn't bought it. There's just not enough different about the music to make it worthwile for someone who already has the other two albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Les Aventures de Tintin - Ray Parker, Jim Morgan, Tom Szczesniak

Anyone has listened to this? It is the score of the 1992 tv series adaptation of the comics. Though the score's clearly sampled or synthesized (not live recorded) IMHO it is a very well composed and fitting score not only for the series but it's very good for a standalone listen. The main theme is gorgeous and ethnic music is fantastic.

Favourite tracks -

01 - Les Aventures de Tintin (Générique)
    02 - Le Pays de la soif
    04 - La Rue de la tranquillité
    05 - Rawahjpoutalah
    06 - Carnaval à San Theodoros
    07 - Château Kropov
    08 - Derrière la chute d'eau
    09 - Hipparque.
    11 - Retour à Moulinsart
    12 - Tintin et Compagnie

My rating - 4.5 out of 5

I have. One of my guilty pleasures wave
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

I had my first listen of this today. I got through the first three tracks and found myself lying down on the sofa. I decided to switch to "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" as I assumed it would be some loud action writing. Got about two minutes into that and then turned on the TV. rolleyes sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony re-listen, it's pretty exciting imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

I had my first listen of this today. I got through the first three tracks and found myself lying down on the sofa. I decided to switch to "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" as I assumed it would be some loud action writing. Got about two minutes into that and then turned on the TV. rolleyes sleep

Probably the best thing you could have done. I did the same the second time I tried to listen the full soundtrack.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Probably the best thing you could have done. I did the same the second time I tried to listen the full soundtrack.

The fact that it starts with a 9 minute track, a 4 minute one, a 5 minute one...

...it's not a nice thought when you see something of that length and you can roughly guess what it's going to be like about a minute in.

I hate to think what the 16 minute finale is gonna be like. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

The fact that it starts with a 9 minute track, a 4 minute one, a 5 minute one...

...it's not a nice thought when you see something of that length and you can roughly guess what it's going to be like about a minute in.

I hate to think what the 16 minute finale is gonna be like. sleep

Well the 16 minute final track is not that bad, but if you want a track of this style from Zimmer you can choose from many other works which are better than this one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Star Wars / Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - John Williams

One of the classics, and an overall good score. smile

Understatement of the year!

TheTelmarine wrote

Good compilation of original trilogy Star Wars tracks, conducted and played very well by John Williams and the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra, respectively. Excellent sound quality, too! biggrin

IMHO, a weak re-recording. Great sound... I'll give you that... but lazy, dull, conducting and equally dull performances. Check out Kojian and the Utah Symphony's Star Wars album for an excellent representation of music from the original trilogy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Star Wars / Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - John Williams

One of the classics, and an overall good score. smile

Understatement of the year!

I should have known you'd say that! biggrin Honestly, it's not my favorite score, though the above comment probably was a bit harsh on my part. wink

Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

IMHO, a weak re-recording. Great sound... I'll give you that... but lazy, dull, conducting and equally dull performances. Check out Kojian and the Utah Symphony's Star Wars album for an excellent representation of music from the original trilogy.

-Erik-

Yes the sound is very good, though I personally also enjoy the playing and interpretation. But thanks for the suggestion; I'll go check that one out! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

This doesn't bode well for me, I'll give it a miss and buy something I know I'll want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

A Zimmer effort worth praising, this score is atmospheric, emotional and powerful. Top stuff!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN - Henry Mancini

Great stuff cheesy cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    I swear we are always listening to the same music at the same time accidentally. I just listened to this the other night for the first time in ages, and I enjoyed it.

Wow! Ain't it great? biggrin

Pat wrote
    I have. One of my guilty pleasures wave

Cheers, mate! beer

NP: Tarzan - Mark Mancina

I mainly play this for the awesome percussion stuff in the action tracks!
  1. HZ - JNH : TDK

I love the theme at the beginning of "I'm Not A Hero" (which is also in "A Dark Knight" at 7:19) !

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

This doesn't bode well for me, I'll give it a miss and buy something I know I'll want.

Yeah don't waste your money. Buy a crate of beer instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote

Yeah, for when we're in Bristol. wink

THE DARK KNIGHT | hz & jnh

Uhu. sad

It's quite boring I think. Sounds the same all the time, especially that drumloop or beat or propulsive devise (biggrin ) that runs throughout it ... the WHOLE time. No, it's not exciting, perhaps for example the track in the middle. The suite at the end just goes on and on... I'll probably miss something, but well, I don't have the courage to find out what.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Kiki's Delivery Service - Joe Hisaishi

Perfect for a sunday afternoon.

I prefer these "older" Ghibli-Hisaishi scores (Totoro, Porco Rosso) to newer ones such as Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle. It's partly because of nostalgia (I saw those movies countless times as a kid biggrin ), but I think they're more energetic and memorable.

Oh I love this score. It was the first Ghibli movie that I saw and the first Joe Hisaishi music that I ever heard. It really is great music. Even the Japanese songs at the end are good, even though I have no idea what they say.

Though lyrics don't have directly to do with the story (and it seems they're not written for the movie), I enjoy these songs too. She's a very popular singer-songwriter here (especially among my parents' generation biggrin )

NP: Riding In Cars With Boys - Hans Zimmer & Heitor Pereira

I bought one-track official release ("Our Little Bit Of Score" lol) from iTunes, but I prefer cues on Heitor Pereira's website. I love a cue named "Joy" (second part of the official track), fun to listen cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote

Uhu. sad

It's quite boring I think. Sounds the same all the time, especially that drumloop or beat or propulsive devise (biggrin ) that runs throughout it ... the WHOLE time. No, it's not exciting, perhaps for example the track in the middle. The suite at the end just goes on and on... I'll probably miss something, but well, I don't have the courage to find out what.

Tis a bit boring, but I guess some bits can be enjoyed... if you happen to be drunk on that crate of beer.

The Mummy (Complete) Jerry Goldsmith

So good, it makes you drunk! beer spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's very few things that can follow The Mummy, one of my top 10 scores, so I might as well put some Gerhardt and Korngold on:

Elizabeth And Essex: Classic Film Scores Of Erich Wolfgang Korngold Charles Gerhardt & the National Philharmonic Orchestra

Because it makes sense. cool

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Steven wrote

Uhu. sad

Tis a bit boring, but I guess some bits can be enjoyed... if you happen to be drunk on that crate of beer.

[/blue]

it's a 73 minutes realease of a more introspective king of score. What do you expected?

Anyway, Delete the 2 minuts tracks and you have a great score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, I was going to save the money for JOHN BARRY's next album release but that's just as pointless so crate of beer it is! slant wink beer