• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote

it's a 73 minutes realease of a more introspective king of score. What do you expected?

Actually, I'm not disappointed that much since I wasn't expecting much at all truth be told.

Anyway, Delete the 2 minuts tracks and you have a great score.

Delete everything save for 'Like A Dog Chasing Cars' and you have an enjoyable 5 minutes. The rest is either crap, or just too similiar to the first score... so also crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    I've played THE DARK KNIGHT a couple of times.
    Interesting soundscape in places. But I soon find myself getting ichy for something......"more"!
    So then I play Chris Gordon's On The Beach and then I feel more fulfilled!
    And then I play more music by Gordon till I have completely forgotten about The Dar...um, yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Tombstone - Bruce Broughton

A very nice score, IMO. And the 2 CD set is lavish! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:HellBoy 2

Probably the Elfman score I most have heard.

The apocalyptic sense, the herrman-esque main theme (underused thought), the combination of Elfman Chorus and Electric guitars, the more enjoyable action music, the piano stuff....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

Swap the 6th and 7th words around, then the 7th and 8th around, and add a 'the' in between the 7th and the 8th words and then you're good to go.
  1. Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Swap the 6th and 7th words around, then the 7th and 8th around, and add a 'the' in between the 7th and the 8th words and then you're good to go.

Oh no I've gone cross-eyed!!! dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: I Am Legend - James Newton Howard

I have grown fond of this one a lot after listening to it these days. Very nice scores with subtly developed themes and excellent emotional stuff! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Why am I doing this to myself... Ok... here we go.

NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Just started this... but there is something... unique and incredibly interesting with the opening track "Why So Serious?" Maybe because I've seen the opening of the film and can match the "music" to the visuals but this is one of the best atmospheric cues I've heard from Zimmer. I'm not sure why it caught my ear but Zimmer's sound design is quite exceptional. It sounds like something out of a Goldenthal crime drama meets Race Against The Machine... and I think it works.

dizzy

I know... I know... I know... I'm as shocked as you are. I'm now into "I'm Not A Hero" and I think I'm starting to dig this "new" sound for Batman. I think I'm finally over my disappointment of the first score and have to accept that this is the sound we are going to get from now on for this franchise... so, let's see what Zimmer and Newton Howard can do with the sequel. Like I said... I'm digging it.

Just started "Harvey Two-Face"... and there's James Newton Howard. Hi there! Nice to hear from you... 3 tracks in. rolleyes

EDIT - Holy Giggidy God... "Harvey Two-Face" is REALLY good. Finally, James Newton Howard is allow to shine. Well done!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I like that track too. As I've said, perhaps not a "highlight of JNH's career" which was mentioned on the forum at one point, but still very good.

I think I was a little harsh when I said there's only one track that I find enjoyable, certainly JNH's cue is to be added to that list. But I still find the majority of it underwhelming. sad (As an album I hastily edit to add.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I think I was a little harsh when I said there's only one track that I find enjoyable, certainly JNH's cue is to be added to that list. But I still find the majority of it underwhelming. sad (As an album I hastily edit to add.)

Well, I'm really enjoying this... up until "Liek A Dog Chasing Cars." That and "Molossus" are still incredible DULL action cues. I really wish Zimmer and Howard came up with something new and a bit more exciting for the car chase scene(s.)

BTW, The Joker material is fitting. If the Joker is who we are think he is in this movie then he is far too complex for a straight theme. The creepy strings and accompanying synths are the perfect device for Joker's "musical" identification.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

Just started "Harvey Two-Face"... and there's James Newton Howard. Hi there! Nice to hear from you... 3 tracks in. rolleyes

-Erik-

Ha, my thoughts exactly. It was quite refreshing when it moved out of the bass clef. tongue

NP...The Dark Knight

Continuing my first listen past track 4...

Harvey Two-Face was actually ****ing good!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Said Steven "old man of the sea" Elfman biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    If the Joker is who we are think he is in this movie then he is far too complex for a straight theme. The creepy strings and accompanying synths are the perfect device for Joker's "musical" identification.

-Erik-

Who we think he is???

Anyway, I love "Why so serious" because are the most "The Ring" parts from " a Dark Knight". They are creepy. You can feel if you were into a nightmare, and that's what nolan wanted to do with this movie.

beer

Wow...addicted to an Elfman score. How it could be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, I'm really enjoying this... up until "Liek A Dog Chasing Cars." That and "Molossus" are still incredible DULL action cues. I really wish Zimmer and Howard came up with something new and a bit more exciting for the car chase scene(s.)

Heh, fair enough. I like it because it feels like an improvement on Batman Begins, new or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... so I finished my first listen of THE DARK KNIGHT and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. However, it really started to do a nose dive with the last three tracks especially that I WANT TO BE 16 MINUTES OF "CHEVALIERS DE SANGREAL" FROM THE DA VINCI CODE last track. Ugh! That was a painful 16 plus minutes. It was like a migraine headache that just continues to pound and pound and pound away at you that you think only death itself will relive the pain.

Anyway, take out the direct lifts from the first Batman Begins and some of the excruciating drone in some of the tracks and you have yourself a pretty solid album. I'll have to revisit the Batman Begins score again... YIKES... but I think the sequel scores plays much better, there's a lot more emotion, way more melody, much more drama and cues where James Newton Howard is allowed to shine. "Harvey Two-Face" is easily the best cue on the album and one of my favorite of the year. And I still dig "Where So Serious?" IMHO, a perfect cue.

Can't wait to see the movie.

NP: Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Danny Elfman

First spin...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ok... so I finished my first listen of THE DARK KNIGHT and I have to say that I really enjoyed it.

I can't believe I just read that.

*reads again*
    *checks name, is it really Erik?*

*it's Erik*

*thinks*

explode
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Proof that non-fans of Batman Begins are sane people not just basing their opinion on prejudices! cool (Or certainly proof in Erik's case at least.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    I WANT TO BE 16 MINUTES OF "CHEVALIERS DE SANGREAL" FROM THE DA VINCI CODE last track. -

Yeap! that's cool! tongue ironically Chevaliers of Sangreal was batman begins tongue

I really enjoy this loud synthetiser to create landscapes, the honorable tune and the new batman dark theme played in the end in a big "old fashioned" (How Zimmer could say) way.

but yes, with 12 minutes this track could have been much better.....

Anyway, Glad you enjoy this score. I was starting to thing I was alone here. The Only track i rarely listen is "im not a hero" it seems to much like short cues put together (what probably is that).

Do you said you saw the opening from TDK? and it's "why so serious" cue?
    rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you said you saw the opening from TDK? and it's "why so serious" cue?
    rolleyes

Yup!

http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/the-d … -6-minutes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Eagerly awaiting the moment The Dark Knight cd drops in my mailbox, so I gave the free *cough* samples on the internet a try. Sounds very good. Can't wait to hear it in decent quality, though.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN - Elmer Bernstein

punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote

punk cool

Ooh, classic stuff, huh, Timmer? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk cool

One of THE great scores, no comment needed cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk cool

Yeah... I haven't seen the film or heard the score (though I've often wanted to), but I know the theme, as it's my high school band's fight song for the football team. Me playing first horn out there... punk it was great stuff... And then the band director had to screw things up and rearrange part of it into a jazz type sound. rolleyes vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    A superhero night:

The Dark knight and Hellboy 2.

beer

The Dark knight is what Batman begins Wanted to be, for better or for worst. And Hellboy 2 is far better than Spipderman 1 & 2
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk cool

Yeah... I haven't seen the film or heard the score (though I've often wanted to), but I know the theme, as it's my high school band's fight song for the football team. Me playing first horn out there... punk it was great stuff... And then the band director had to screw things up and rearrange part of it into a jazz type sound. rolleyes vomit

It's a CLASSIC score to a CLASSIC film, Can you not hire it from a rental store William? Many stores here in the UK have a reasonable selection of classic films.

The film is superb ( and based on an older classic 'The Seven Samarai' ) and once you've heard the full score, believe me, you'll rush to buy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk cool

It's a CLASSIC score to a CLASSIC film, Can you not hire it from a rental store William? Many stores here in the UK have a reasonable selection of classic films.

The film is superb ( and based on an older classic 'The Seven Samarai' ) and once you've heard the full score, believe me, you'll rush to buy it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I think my library may have the film. I will check and see when I go back to return some other movies. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, glad you like some elements from TDK. The opening track is very interesting to say the least; it was something that really attracted my attention right from the very few listens. Very cool and innovative sound design, reminds me of BHD. But how could you not like "Like a dog chasing cats?"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, glad you like some elements from TDK. The opening track is very interesting to say the least; it was something that really attracted my attention right from the very few listens. Very cool and innovative sound design, reminds me of BHD. But how could you not like "Like a dog chasing cats?"

Because I heard it before... in the first movie... and hated it there, too. YAWN!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The theme here is different.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.