• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    The theme here is different.

Still the same old crap with a new theme. YAWN!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008
    NP: Hancock (John Powell)
    I think its better on album than it was in the film. Particularly the finale because its not interrupted like it is in the film! Powell does a great job of maintaining a consistent feel throughout the score, unlike most of his animated films.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Why am I doing this to myself... Ok... here we go.

NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Just started this... but there is something... unique and incredibly interesting with the opening track "Why So Serious?" Maybe because I've seen the opening of the film and can match the "music" to the visuals but this is one of the best atmospheric cues I've heard from Zimmer. I'm not sure why it caught my ear but Zimmer's sound design is quite exceptional. It sounds like something out of a Goldenthal crime drama meets Race Against The Machine... and I think it works.

dizzy

-Erik-

Yes, having only opined 'if only the Batman music were more like Goldenthal's HEAT', I had to listen to that track and think 'well, there it is!'. I think that music must have contributed a lot to the reviews of that film opening that remarked on the similarity to Michael Mann's HEAT. The use of electric cello (?) is pretty good.

I haven't heard all of the rest of the album, mostly because I'm only so patient, but the opening, closing, Harvey Dent and 'Dog pushing cars' tracks are the ones I'll be taking away from this score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008 edited
    As much as I agree with your initial expectations and subsequent re-scoring of the 'Batmobile chase' scene, Erik, I'm glad you agree that the sequel score is 'solid'. I honestly didn't expect much of an improvement on the original, [and to be honest, it isn't much of an improvement], but I think it's a pretty good album. Not amazing, but 'fitting' with Nolan's vision. Again, not JNH's highlighting material, but still nice stuff!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    NP: The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

A gorgeous album which I just can't seem to get enough of lately. Perfect listening before bed - very relaxing.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

A gorgeous album which I just can't seem to get enough of lately. Perfect listening before bed - very relaxing.

cool

That last track is beyond awesome. And that's the best kind of awesome. cool
  2. NP: Golden Gate (Goldenthal)

A nice left-field score, fusing elements of jazz and ambient music with a hint of the music of the Far East. Goldenthal is always at his best when fusing different musical idioms like this, and his saxophone solos are always impressive (never moreso than here). Hopefully the upcoming Public Enemies will draw on his strength in saxophone writing.
  3. NP: The Scarlet Letter - Elmer Bernstein

I've just had a quick listen through the Varese Bernstein Box and this score of the three featured is, for me, by far the highlight. It's certainly a score that I need to listen to again to form a reasoned opinion. But as first listens go, it's going to be one of Bernstein's best scores.

A far different story to Gangs of New York. I just didn't warm to this score at all. More later.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Scarlet Letter - Elmer Bernstein

I've just had a quick listen through the Varese Bernstein Box and this score of the three featured is, for me, by far the highlight. It's certainly a score that I need to listen to again to form a reasoned opinion. But as first listens go, it's going to be one of Bernstein's best scores.

A far different story to Gangs of New York. I just didn't warm to this score at all. More later.

I'm really interested to hear both of these. What makes me curious about GANGS - and what may ensure it gets a more lukewarm response, is the fact that it is a rare score that used no strings at all.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: The Incredible Hulk - Craig Armstrong

I really like the music to this film. I noticed its presence in the film a lot and liked it then as well. I'm very glad it got a full release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you said you saw the opening from TDK? and it's "why so serious" cue?
    rolleyes

Yup!

http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/the-d … -6-minutes

-Erik-

Are you sure the music is the how it's finally scored? or just made for an exclussive 6 minutes clip?

NP:In Dream (Goldenthal)
    Or better said...."in nightmare". In a good way!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Warriors of Earth and Heaven - A.R. Rahman

A great but sadly underrated score IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    NP:Star Trek (Goldsmith)

Kill me if you want, but I only listen the mystical stuff " The Cloud", "Vejeaur Speaks"....or even "klingon Battle".

Wow. a almost religious experience!! give this stuff before the hyper famous "enterprise" any day.

beer

this herrman-esque moments almost makes this score runner up to my top goldsmith 10.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek (Goldsmith)

Kill me if you want, but I only listen the mystical stuff " The Cloud", "Vejeaur Speaks"....or even "klingon Battle".

Wow. a almost religious experience!! give this stuff before the hyper famous "enterprise" any day.

beer

this herrman-esque moments almost makes this score runner up to my top goldsmith 10.

My favourite moments from the score too though I do lve all of it! JG's 'Cloud' music is very Vaughan Williams'esque.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Last of The Mohicans - Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman

Though it's not that good, it certainly has some good moments in tracks like Elk Hunt, Fort Battle, Massacre and The British Arrival IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Last of The Mohicans - Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman

Though it's not that good, it certainly has some good moments in tracks like Elk Hunt, Fort Battle, Massacre and The British Arrival IMO.

WHAT!? No "Premontory" ?? My fave track.

I think the whole album is great and Edelman's effort, though lesser imo is still underrated.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COOL HAND LUKE - Lalo Schifrin

Great, breezy score washing all over my fucked up head & foot....lush! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: The Dark Knight ~ Howard/Zimmer

I'm probably the last person on this board to listen to this one. To me, The Dark Knight is an example of a good score written for the film and not for album. It functions well in its purpose as it emphasizes the film's dark tones but standing alone, it does not make for a memorable listening experience. At least not for me. **
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bad Girls Jerry Goldsmith

Classic Goldsmith fun! A wonderful modern, tongue-in-cheek Western score (and a great album). Shame Goldsmith didn't get more Western gigs in his later career, he produced some damn fine themes for Westerns in the 60's and 70's, and this 90's score is no exception. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean 1 - Klaus Badelt

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sylvos wrote

I'm probably the last person on this board to listen to this one. To me, The Dark Knight is an example of a good score written for the film and not for album. It functions well in its purpose as it emphasizes the film's dark tones but standing alone, it does not make for a memorable listening experience. At least not for me. **

No your not! I haven't heard it.

And doubt I will until I see the film ( which I really want to see )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Time for a classic that I've played 'V'ger kows how many times?'....

NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

Bliss! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Sylvos wrote

No your not! I haven't heard it.

And doubt I will until I see the film ( which I really want to see )

Me too (on all counts).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Time for a classic that I've played 'V'ger kows how many times?'....

NP : STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Jerry Goldsmith

Bliss! biggrin

When you're feeling down, only the best will do! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: First Knight (expanded) - Jerry Goldsmith

If I had known this score back in school days, I might've been kept from falling asleep in History class!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    God I love Goldsmith... love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote

Me too!! beer biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

and Me beer

still blissed biggrin cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

and Me beer

still blissed biggrin cool

EVERYBODY LOVES GOLDSMITH!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

It was on last night, I'd never seen it before. I really enjoyed it! It was stupid, but it was fun. Of course, the score was fantastic in the movie, I was really really impressed. Classic stuff.