• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

It was on last night, I'd never seen it before. I really enjoyed it! It was stupid, but it was fun. Of course, the score was fantastic in the movie, I was really really impressed. Classic stuff.

I think it's great fun and a film I cn watch over again.

I'd love to see a new big budget Conan get made ( I believe a project was in the pipeline a few years ago? ), and properly adhering more to Robert E. Howard's original material and minus Arnold ( he too old now anyway ) who was never quite right for the role anyway. As to a new score well, that would take an impossible effort of GIGANTIC Crom shoe size filling.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It was on last night, I'd never seen it before. I really enjoyed it! It was stupid, but it was fun. Of course, the score was fantastic in the movie, I was really really impressed. Classic stuff.

I'd love to see a new big budget Conan get made ( I believe a project was in the pipeline a few years ago? ), and properly adhering more to Robert E. Howard's original material and minus Arnold ( he too old now anyway ) who was never quite right for the role anyway. As to a new score well, that would take an impossible effort of GIGANTIC Crom shoe size filling.

I'm sure Brian Tyler's phone is already ringing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Star Trek (Goldsmith)

Kill me if you want, but I only listen the mystical stuff " The Cloud", "Vejeaur Speaks"....or even "klingon Battle".

Wow. a almost religious experience!! give this stuff before the hyper famous "enterprise" any day.

How... I mean, HOW can you skip over two of the most impressing Goldsmith cues of all time... "The Enterprise" and "Leaving Drydock." Come on man! Anyway, Star Trek: The Motion Picture is easily the best thing Goldsmith ever creating. Bloody brilliant from start to finish!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Bourne Supremacy - John Powell

Powell Power as usual!! punk
  1. Nautilus wrote

EVERYBODY LOVES GOLDSMITH!

EVERYBODY + ME LOVES GOLDSMITH!

Corrected punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Giacchino or Shearmur would be two composers that could probably pull it off. One thing's for sure, women sure like opening their legs to Conan!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Giacchino or Shearmur would be two composers that could probably pull it off. One thing's for sure, women sure like opening their legs to Conan!

Come on, Steven... you know this would go to one of Zimmer's boys!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not if Crom has anything to do with it! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    NP: She - Max Steiner
    conducted by William Stromberg performed by the Moscow Symphony

This is my first listen of this score. I'm not a huge fan of Steiner's work but so far I'm enjoying She. The main theme is lovely and there is a sense of mysticism and mystery in the orchestrations. It's a rather small scale score (number of performers) for Steiner due to budget restraints at the time. However, Tribute used Steiner's original pencil sketches to re-construct the score to it's original form and now the most performing at once (including female chorus) is 60 players. And there is some wonderful woodwind writing and furious action material in this score. "Fight With The Natives" will blow you away! This is another winner from Tribute Film Classics. Excellent performances and brilliant, tight and clear sound quality. Check it out if you can.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Flesh + Blood Basil Poledouris

If scores were food, this would be RUMP STEAK!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...does anyone know which order the "bonus tracks" should go in between the regular album tracks? It's annoying having them dumped at the end. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    ...does anyone know which order the "bonus tracks" should go in between the regular album tracks? It's annoying having them dumped at the end. slant

Thor would disagree with you!

Anyway, here is the chronological order of Flesh + Blood

1.) 1m1: Main Title (2:52)
    2.) 1m3: Siege of The City (3:26)
    14) 1m6: Driven From The City (1:14)
    15) 2m1: Cask and St. Martin (2:36)
    16) 2m2/3m0 & 3m1: Anges's Wagon (1:14)
    3.) 3m2 Courtship and Mandrake (4:06)
    4.) 3m4 Wagon Attack (2:56)
    17) 4m2 & 4m3: Assault on Agnes (3:46)
    13) 5m1: St. Martin Leads The Way (2:01)
    6.) 5m2 Castle Invasion (2:02)
    18) 6m1-Pt2: The Feast (1:49)
    5.) 6m2: Martin and Agnes Love Theme (1:26)
    19) 6m5: The Locket (:48)
    7.) 7m1: Night Fires (2:21)
    8.) 8m1 The Box (5:24)
    9.) 9m2 Water (The Undoing) (1:40)
    20) 9m4: Out Of The Well (2:39)
    10.) 10m1: Arnolfini Assault (5:47)
    11.) 10/m2 10m3 & 10/4 Denouement/End Titles (7:44)

Bonus Tracks
    12.) 8m1: The Box-Edited Version 4:34
    21.) 10/m2 10m3 & 10/4: Denouement / End Title-Alternate version (7:20)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Evolution (powell)

My love for this score arrived late. Because it has too many short tracs and not enought thematic presentation.

Now, I really love it. One of Powell's best effort. This bizarre mix of Dark and Parodic is brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

This is my first listen of this score. I'm not a huge fan of Steiner's work but so far I'm enjoying She. The main theme is lovely and there is a sense of mysticism and mystery in the orchestrations. It's a rather small scale score (number of performers) for Steiner due to budget restraints at the time. However, Tribute used Steiner's original pencil sketches to re-construct the score to it's original form and now the most performing at once (including female chorus) is 60 players. And there is some wonderful woodwind writing and furious action material in this score. "Fight With The Natives" will blow you away! This is another winner from Tribute Film Classics. Excellent performances and brilliant, tight and clear sound quality. Check it out if you can.

-Erik-

I've never heard this or seen the film? I'm only familiar with the 1960's Ursula Andress / Hammer / James Bernard scored version. I'm interested though.

NP : THE CHAIRMAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Just love the militaristic build up in the main title cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

This bizarre mix of Dark and Parodic is brilliant!

Where exactly? I think it's all quite lighthearted and fun actually. I also agree it's one of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    She was excellent. It moves into a more Bernard Herrmannesque styled score during the latter half of the album... but would it be correct to call it Herrmannesque in 1935?

NP: Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Danny Elfman

Continuing where I left off yesterday... starting with the dynamite cue "Father and Son" which is one of the highlights on this incredibly enjoyable and satisfying album. "Father and Son" is such a tender piece which explodes into this brilliant percussive led action track. Stunning stuff. This is score that definitely has a sense of humour which is why Elfman was a perfect choice to work on the movie... Beltrami would have been the BEST choice though. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Thor would disagree with you!

Anyway, here is the chronological order of Flesh + Blood

1.) 1m1: Main Title (2:52)
    2.) 1m3: Siege of The City (3:26)
    14) 1m6: Driven From The City (1:14)
    15) 2m1: Cask and St. Martin (2:36)
    16) 2m2/3m0 & 3m1: Anges's Wagon (1:14)
    3.) 3m2 Courtship and Mandrake (4:06)
    4.) 3m4 Wagon Attack (2:56)
    17) 4m2 & 4m3: Assault on Agnes (3:46)
    13) 5m1: St. Martin Leads The Way (2:01)
    6.) 5m2 Castle Invasion (2:02)
    18) 6m1-Pt2: The Feast (1:49)
    5.) 6m2: Martin and Agnes Love Theme (1:26)
    19) 6m5: The Locket (:48)
    7.) 7m1: Night Fires (2:21)
    8.) 8m1 The Box (5:24)
    9.) 9m2 Water (The Undoing) (1:40)
    20) 9m4: Out Of The Well (2:39)
    10.) 10m1: Arnolfini Assault (5:47)
    11.) 10/m2 10m3 & 10/4 Denouement/End Titles (7:44)

Bonus Tracks
    12.) 8m1: The Box-Edited Version 4:34
    21.) 10/m2 10m3 & 10/4: Denouement / End Title-Alternate version (7:20)

-Erik-

Well what does he know? Thanks Erik, mucho appreciato! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

This bizarre mix of Dark and Parodic is brilliant!

Where exactly? I think it's all quite lighthearted and fun actually. I also agree it's one of his best.

Me too. So much fun! I think there are some relatively "dark" bits to this score hidden among some very lighthearted, fun music. A kind of precursor to his X-Men style.
  2. I nominated Gabriel Yared for a score to any new Conan film. Oh that would be heaven.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If he could produce something like Troy again, it would be perfect.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    If he could produce something like Troy again, it would be perfect.

True! cool

It's hard to imagine now but when the composer for CONAN THE BARBARIAN was originally announced as Basil Poledouris I was devastated. Because of Goldsmith scoring THE WIND AND THE LION for Milius I was dead sure that there would be no other choice than my # 1 pick to score my favourite comic book character, how the fuck could Milius go with the guy who scored THE BLUE LAGOON? shocked

A year later I was drop kicked out of the ball park by one of the most gobsmacking scores I'd ever heard cool

Unfortunately in this day and age a young gifted composer like Basil who didn't have much of a track record wouldn't get near a film like that nowadays and as Erik said, it'll probably go to RC / MV composers.
  3. Erik Woods wrote

This is another winner from Tribute Film Classics. Excellent performances and brilliant, tight and clear sound quality. Check it out if you can.

-Erik-

Glad to hear this Erik. I'm looking forward to hearing this - and then I can put my She OST CD (with its archival sound) out to pasture.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight ~ Howard/Zimmer

I'm probably the last person on this board to listen to this one. To me, The Dark Knight is an example of a good score written for the film and not for album. It functions well in its purpose as it emphasizes the film's dark tones but standing alone, it does not make for a memorable listening experience. At least not for me. **

No your not! I haven't heard it.

And doubt I will until I see the film ( which I really want to see )

Me too (on all counts).

...except I unexpectedly got a promo of the CD in the post today. About to give it a spin!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mine was a present.
  4. Good luck with Why So Serious and A Little Push.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. NP: Batman Returns (Elfman)

I'm probably inclined to be a little harsher on the more recent Batman score after reminding myself of the excellent themes for the Penguin and Catwoman.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Contact Alan Silvestri

One of his best scores without a doubt. Beautiful, subtle, elegant and in some places very exciting without going over board and hitting every note by every instrument in the orchestra. Awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    On The Beach Christopher Gordon

This Aussie is a man of great talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Contact Alan Silvestri

One of his best scores without a doubt. Beautiful, subtle, elegant and in some places very exciting without going over board and hitting every note by every instrument in the orchestra. Awesome.

Couldn't agree more. That end credits suite is one of the most beautiful and accomplished pieces he's ever written.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. NP: Sweet Smell of Success - Elmer Bernstein

With all the new Bernstein scores around the house I picked up this mid-50s jazz effort. I'd watched the beginning of the movie the other day as I had not heard any of this score before and the main titles track was vintage Bernstein-jazz.

Chico Hamilton composed some additional music that features on this CD and he provides a great theme for Susan Harrison's character.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn