• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik, how does the "piano" tag work in iTunes?

Do you have to select "piano" and associate it with specific tracks or does iTunes select a series of "key words"?

I just typed "piano" in the search field and anything tagged with the word piano whether in the track title or album name showed up. Then I placed the tracks I wanted into a separate playlist.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

This stunning album is one of my favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    ...whether in the track title or album name showed up...

Thanks. I was wondering if you had added keywords to some tracks to highlight whether they were piano-heavy cues so that they would be picked up when searching for piano cues.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. JNH - Restoration

One of these scores I can listen again and again... cheesy
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Various Piano Cues - Various Artists

...I typed in the word "Piano" into iTunes and selected a few tracks...

NP: Various Piano Cues - Various Artists

Tried this with my mp3 tracks using Creative's Organizer. Some titles that have passed:

"Piano Theme" from 5x2 - Philippe Rombi
    "Piano Player" from Food of Love - Carles Cases
    "Dietro Casa" from This Is England - Ludovico Einaudi

Currently playing "Piano Medley" from The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger - J. R. Flynn

Cheers Erik for the idea! wave
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008 edited
    Still playing my piano compilation and I had to stop editing to give my undivided attention to Danny Elfman's frenetic "Piano" movement from Serenada Schizophrana. shocked Wow! I forgot how incredible this concert work is. I don't think I've heard this kind of writing from Elfman before. I'm going to have give the entire album another spin very soon.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Cheers Erik for the idea! wave

My pleasure!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : QB VII - Jerry Goldsmith

Been a loooong time since I listened to this, it's a great TV score, superb in fact! Anyone ever seen the film? I read Leon Uris book years ago but have never seen the celluloid version.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Black Dahlia - Mark Isham

I'd forgotten just how good this is. One of the top scores of recent times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Excellent score. And the Goldsmith influences don't distract. I find there is a bit more meat on the bones of this score then let's say L.A. Confidential. And even though the love theme stunk up the joint in the movie it's lovely, by itself, on CD.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Certainly one of my favourites of recent times. Fantastic score.

Pearl Harbor Suite Hans Zimmer & Steve Jablonsky

A fan made suite of all the best bits from the complete score amounting to a hefty one-track 35 minutes. Not that I'm bothered, because it's an awesome and lovely 35 minutes.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

punk

-Erik-

punk punk punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Excellent score. And the Goldsmith influences don't distract. I find there is a bit more meat on the bones of this score then let's say L.A. Confidential. And even though the love theme stunk up the joint in the movie it's lovely, by itself, on CD.

-Erik-

This seems to be one of those nights where everyone agrees!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree! And who said that it would be boring if were to all agree?
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Still playing my piano compilation and I had to stop editing to give my undivided attention to Danny Elfman's frenetic "Piano" movement from Serenada Schizophrana. shocked Wow! I forgot how incredible this concert work is. I don't think I've heard this kind of writing from Elfman before. I'm going to have give the entire album another spin very soon.

I passed on this when it first came out but with the resurgence of the composer this year I may hunt this one out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I passed on this when it first came out but with the resurgence of the composer this year I may hunt this one out.

Well worth it. Very Elfmanish, and a very mature work. Fascinating stuff!
  7. NP: "Death Tracks" - Various Artists

Still playing with my Creative Organizer:

"The Death of Brother Francois" - Anthony Adverse - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    "Ben's Death / TIE Fighter Attack" - Star Wars - John Williams
    "Pursuit / Maloney's Death (Alternate)" - Family Plot - John Williams
    "The Emperor's Death" - Return of The Jedi - John Williams
    "The Death of X" - X-Men III: The Last Stand - John Powell
    "The Death of Cisco" - Dances With Wolves - John Barry
    "Death of Linea" - Island of Lost Souls - Jane Cornish
    "Building The DeathCoaster" - Army of Darkness - Joseph LoDuca
    "Death of An Individual" - Red Garden - Akira Senju
    "The Death" - Total Eclipse - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

...and "Death Is The Road To Awe" (The Fountain - Clint Mansell) had just started.

Don't you just love being a fan of film music? punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    Its sheer versatility is one of its many virtues. You can make a playlist to match ANY mood, ANY situation, ANY environment. It's great!
  8. Steven wrote
    Its sheer versatility is one of its many virtues. You can make a playlist to match ANY mood, ANY situation, ANY environment. It's great!

And I'm just about to see what "life" throws up...
  9. ...NP: "Life Tracks" - Various Artists

"The Real Life of Angel Deverell (Main Theme)" - Angel - Philippe Rombi
    "Night Life" - Basic Instinct - Jerry Goldsmith
    "The Forest Comes To Life" - The Brothers Grimm - Dario Marianelli
    "Life Is A Dream" - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - Jerry Goldsmith
    "In Search of Beauty In Life" - Seven Swords - Kenji Kawai
    "Life Is Beautiful" - Mother of Mine - Tuomas Kantelinen
    "The Nile: Source of Life" - Mysteries of Egypt - Sam Cardon
    "Daily Life" - Guerra e Pace - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
    "I Am The Bread of Life" - The Gospel of John - Jeff Danna
    "The Dream of A Normal Life" - Doctor Who: Series 3 - Murray Gold

I hadn't heard the Marianelli track for a whole and I'd forgotten how good it was. Same goes for Rombi's Angel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: White Oleander - Thomas Newman

I thought, what would be the most relaxing score to listen to on arriving back after a few drinks? Threw this one on and it sure is soothing, and very dreamy. Nice stuff.

cool
  10. A final foray into playlists:

NP: "Battle Tracks" - Various Artists

"Fort Battle" - The Last of The Mohicans - Trevor Jones
    "Bridge Battle" - Lair - John Debney
    "Preparing For Battle" - "The Cinema Collection" - Alan Williams
    "Sub Battle" - U-571 - Richard Marvin
    "Battle In The Sky" - D-War - Steve Jablonsky
    "The Sith Spacecraft and The Droid Battle" - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - John Williams
    "Departure For Battle Exercises" - Aegis - Trevor Jones
    "Crassus Battle" - Spartacus - Randy Miller
    "Dart Battle" - Stargate: Atlantis - Joel Goldsmith
    "Battle With The Tartars" - The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Does anyone know which score the Alan Williams track comes from?

I'm not sure how interesting people like these lists but I just want to give interested people an idea of what's being listened to at Chez Rogers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    Alan - Looks like you had some fun today! And for someone who LOVES playlists you have given me some inspiration!

punk

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The War - Thomas Newman

Another lovely Newman score, this time from the early nineties. Gorgeous piano, woodwind, guitar melodies backed by soothing string lines make this an equally relaxing listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MOBY DICK - Christopher Gordon

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MOBY DICK - Christopher Gordon

Excellent!

YEOWZA! Great score! Those French Horns are awesome! And what an opening theme!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Eight Below - Mark Isham

Could've been much better IMO, but still I like it a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Eight Below - Mark Isham

Could've been much better IMO, but still I like it a lot.

I think it's great! One of my Top 10 of '06.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I thought I'd put this one on before heading to bed. I must say that the first three tracks are stunning! I'm still shocked that I'm saying that about this score. "Why So Serious?" is just about as perfect of a cue for the opening of the picture that you could find and it is absolutely one of the most unique pieces of "music" Zimmer as come up with.

I love "I'm Not a Hero" I've come to accept the two note motif from the first film and it's use in this track is down right perfect. The slow moving piece then kicks it up a notch but still follows a with long calls of the two note Batman motif. The big brass clusters that enter near the end of the track are most welcome and really help propel the track along.

And then there is "Harvey Two-Face." Right now , it's the cue of the year!

So, I go to bed satisfied with a score that has just completely surprised me. I had no expectations for anything great after hearing the first score but I think I had to do come to terms with my preferences in film music and realize that the world is changing. Now, I still don't like most of the changes, but I'm really glad that this score connected with me even though I still disagree adamantly with the approach of the Batman Begins score.

BTW, I've changed my mind concerning "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" My original assessment of it was wrong. I think I was talking about a different track when I was comparing this to "Molossus." I mean, there is no comparison. They are two different tracks. I actually really like "Like A Dog Chasing Cars." The new theme again fits the rest of the score like a glove.

You know, I see myself return to this score more often this year.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

One of the most amazing works by Hans till date. It certainly had the potential for an Academy Award as far as I am concerned. smile