• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I thought I'd put this one on before heading to bed. I must say that the first three tracks are stunning! I'm still shocked that I'm saying that about this score. "Why So Serious?" is just about as perfect of a cue for the opening of the picture that you could find and it is absolutely one of the most unique pieces of "music" Zimmer as come up with.

I love "I'm Not a Hero" I've come to accept the two note motif from the first film and it's use in this track is down right perfect. The slow moving piece then kicks it up a notch but still follows a with long calls of the two note Batman motif. The big brass clusters that enter near the end of the track are most welcome and really help propel the track along.

And then there is "Harvey Two-Face." Right now , it's the cue of the year!

So, I go to bed satisfied with a score that has just completely surprised me. I had no expectations for anything great after hearing the first score but I think I had to do come to terms with my preferences in film music and realize that the world is changing. Now, I still don't like most of the changes, but I'm really glad that this score connected with me even though I still disagree adamantly with the approach of the Batman Begins score.

BTW, I've changed my mind concerning "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" My original assessment of it was wrong. I think I was talking about a different track when I was comparing this to "Molossus." I mean, there is no comparison. They are two different tracks. I actually really like "Like A Dog Chasing Cars." The new theme again fits the rest of the score like a glove.

You know, I see myself return to this score more often this year.

-Erik-

Welcome to the party! kiss beer punk

Curoious nobody mention " And I thought my jokes were bad" with the joker's motif in his full "glory" (!).

About the main theme, I love the 2 note motif (and I used to hate it in Batman Begins) in "agressive expasion" with a very clear and powerfull brass and real percusion. And the rest of the track is great too, being atmospheric but playing some themes like the love theme and wayne's theme.

Erik, if you try to listen " A dark Knight" track, the last 3 minutes are the 2 batman's theme with the orchestra shining without reverbe or manipulation.

NP:Ratatouille

my favourite Giacchino score, after the lost ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    About the main theme, I love the 2 note motif (and I used to hate it in Batman Begins) in "agressive expasion" with a very clear and powerfull brass and real percusion.

Yeh, I've grown quite fond of the motif too. I remember going "WTF?" when I heard it in SOCCENT Attack in Transformers! tongue

NP: Kingdom Of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    punk
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    About the main theme, I love the 2 note motif (and I used to hate it in Batman Begins) in "agressive expasion" with a very clear and powerfull brass and real percusion.

Yeh, I've grown quite fond of the motif too. I remember going "WTF?" when I heard it in SOCCENT Attack in Transformers! tongue

punk

Then try to find Batman's 2 note motif in The Thin red line.....there it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

What more special score than this for my 1000th post? biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Then try to find Batman's 2 note motif in The Thin red line.....there it is!

Will check... thanks! smile
  1. NP: Medievil Resurrection- Bob & Barn

A very competent orchestral game soundtrack, composed by Bob & Barn, the guys behind Primal, another good one, although I prefer this album. Game scores such as these have much more in common with film soundtracks, evident in the nice thematic development, and impressive choral work. The album is filled with some good fantasy-filled tracks and others that just capture the listener with fine melodies. Sometimes reminiscent of Horner's best fantasy scores, this is one that improves with each listen.

4 stars!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: Hellboy - Marco Beltrami

First Listen.

So far, so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Atlantis - The Lost Empire (promo) - James Newton Howard

Lovely Strings, blaring brass, thundering percussion, lovely serene music, pounding action music and terrific main theme! Amazing work by JNH! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Radio Flyer Hans Zimmer

Sometimes it's very hard to believe this is by Zimmer. I guess Shirley Walker's and Bruce Fowler's orchestrations played a huge part in the final sound, because this sure doesn't sound like Zimmer in a lot of places. I would love to give Hansi the benefit of the doubt, but when you compare this to most of his other scores, it just seems a little suspicious?

Regardless of that, it's a sweet little score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Radio Flyer Hans Zimmer

Sometimes it's very hard to believe this is by Zimmer. I guess Shirley Walker's and Bruce Fowler's orchestrations played a huge part in the final sound, because this sure doesn't sound like Zimmer in a lot of places. I would love to give Hansi the benefit of the doubt, but when you compare this to most of his other scores, it just seems a little suspicious?

Regardless of that, it's a sweet little score.

I once heard Radio Flyer described by someone as "Shirley Walker's finest score". confused Not sure what that could possibly mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    NP: Back To The Future - Alan Silvestri

I must confess... when I was a kid, I thought it's John Williams who composed this. shame At that time I didn't know any film composer's name except JW and Joe Hisaishi wink

Anyway, I love this score!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wall-E Thomas Newman

I can't wait to see how this score works in the film! Judging by the quality, I can imagine it working perfectly. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: Back To The Future - Alan Silvestri

I must confess... when I was a kid, I thought it's John Williams who composed this. shame At that time I didn't know any film composer's name except JW and Joe Hisaishi wink

Anyway, I love this score!

Amazing score by Silvestri, all the three scores are terrific IMO!

NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

My #2 most favourite Zimmer score of all time after The Lion King! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I listened to The Lion King when I was on my bike yesterday, and although you do go on about it (wink), I'd forgotten how amazing it is! Brought back memories of childhood! Certainly one of Zimmer's most emotionally powerful scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I listened to The Lion King when I was on my bike yesterday, and although you do go on about it (wink), I'd forgotten how amazing it is! Brought back memories of childhood! Certainly one of Zimmer's most emotionally powerful scores.

beer

Nostalgia + brilliant music make this score as dear to me as my life! moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed why The Empire Strikes Back is my favourite score. Love it love it love it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Indeed why The Empire Strikes Back is my favourite score. Love it love it love it! punk

One of my all-time favourites too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Big Country - Jerome Moross

I never tire of this amazing score! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Rocket Post (Clarke & Csanyi-Wills)
    Very pleasant.

Steven, I must say that I am in love with your signature.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I hope they publish the whole lolcat Bible one day! It's the best thing ever created. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, I hope they publish the whole lolcat Bible one day! It's the best thing ever created. biggrin

Indeed! It's funny as f*** biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

In my top 10 scores of all time, I've long ago lost count how many times I've played it, from LP to re-recording to full score CD release. Utterly brilliant and superlative score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

In my top 10 scores of all time, I've long ago lost count how many times I've played it, from LP to re-recording to full score CD release. Utterly brilliant and superlative score!

Like a moth to the flame!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MOBY DICK - Christopher Gordon

Excellent!

YEOWZA! Great score! Those French Horns are awesome! And what an opening theme!

-Erik-

This was one of those scores I just had to have while watching the film on TV ( it's not bad at all though the White Whale looks a bit dodgy at times wink ) and being blown away by it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

Like a moth to the flame!

Burn yer wings, you know you want to! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Dark Knight (You know Who but not Why).[b][/b]

Brilliant!!!! And with this dark brass and strings....

Agressive Expansion rules!

I love it!

http://www.jamd.com/search?text=Hans%20Zimmer

eDIT

A little push reminds me to Goldsmith's The mummy. Anyone with me?
  3. Steven wrote

Based on one of definitions, that would render lolcat officially a spoken language!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For most people I know, it already is.

Armageddon Suite Trevor Rabin & Harry Gregson-Williams

Another fan made suite of all the best tracks from the complete score (I have 22 of these, all from MV scores), like the Pearl Harbor one I posted about. This time it comes to just over 50 minutes, in one track! Again, it doesn't bother me because it's an AWESOME 50 minutes! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Oh....

Im playing The Dark Knight with my new cell phone, a nokia 5610 Xpress music...Who said any Mp3 is better than a cell phone for play music??'

This chip makes a crystal sound!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Beowulf~Alan Silvestri

For one more time... WOW!!! punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...