• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    NP: The Tigger Movie (promo) - Harry Gregson-Williams

Nice one by HGW! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Radio Flyer Hans Zimmer

Sometimes it's very hard to believe this is by Zimmer. I guess Shirley Walker's and Bruce Fowler's orchestrations played a huge part in the final sound, because this sure doesn't sound like Zimmer in a lot of places. I would love to give Hansi the benefit of the doubt, but when you compare this to most of his other scores, it just seems a little suspicious?

Regardless of that, it's a sweet little score.

I once heard Radio Flyer described by someone as "Shirley Walker's finest score". confused Not sure what that could possibly mean.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?bln … ype=WorkID

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Still can't get into this one. I thought that since I enjoyed the second one so much that maybe I could start to enjoy the first one. The same things that bothered me about it initially still bother me today which have been well documented in The Dark Knight thread. wink Happy lp? But, I do like the Newton Howard's material even though the orchestration and build up come straight from Unbreakable. However, I do like the End Credit cue which I ripped from my DVD last week and added it to iTunes.

Give me The Dark Knight any day over this.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Hellboy - Marco Beltrami

First Listen.

So far, so good.

I did actually like it. Something I can't say about a lot Beltrami scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Happy lp?

Not enough drugs in the world for that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I think enough has been said about this already biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Empire Strikes Back John Williams (Cond. Charles Gerhardt)

Just as the famous song goes, I'm in heaven!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Still can't get into this one. I thought that since I enjoyed the second one so much that maybe I could start to enjoy the first one. The same things that bothered me about it initially still bother me today which have been well documented in The Dark Knight thread. wink Happy lp? But, I do like the Newton Howard's material even though the orchestration and build up come straight from Unbreakable. However, I do like the End Credit cue which I ripped from my DVD last week and added it to iTunes.

Give me The Dark Knight any day over this.

-Erik-

i tried with the first one too.

But i can't stand with some "unfinished things" like the crappy synth in Myotis, the highly mixed cues in some of his longest cues, the rendered orchestra and the Free ending cue (lasirius).

I really love the 2 main themes in the last minutes of the End Credits tought, Specially the first one ( Perhaps the Newton Howard one heard in "Agent Chaos" or "barbastella) who is really dark and tragic but at the same time Epic.

The Dark Knight is far, better, with more orchestral authentic power, more thamatic...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    I really love the 2 main themes in the last minutes of the End Credits tought, Specially the first one ( Perhaps the Newton Howard one heard in "Agent Chaos" or "barbastella) who is really dark and tragic but at the same time Epic.

The Dark Knight is far, better, with more orchestral authentic power, more thamatic...

Agreed! The Newton Howard stuff that you mentioned really stands out... in both scores.

Since every one else is doing it...

NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

Yeah... simply superb. This is the perfect film for Zimmer to score. The African music... he does it so well... the themes are excellent... the action material is really something else... and the songs are classic. But where is the rest? You have to give this one an expanded release, Disney. Wake up!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Dark Knight

I think there are two very fine tracks here, "Harvey Two-Face" and "A Dark Knight". Those two are real keepers for me. The rest I could take or leave.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Erik Woods wrote
    Agreed! The Newton Howard stuff that you mentioned really stands out... in both scores.

Just to clarify, "Newton" is James' middle name and not a part of his surname. He uses his full name to avoid confusion with a lot of other James Howards that seem to work in music departments of films. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah, but if someone said "composed by Howard" you would have to think about it. At least with "Newton Howard" everyone knows who he is. wink
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : QB VII - Jerry Goldsmith

Been a loooong time since I listened to this, it's a great TV score, superb in fact! Anyone ever seen the film? I read Leon Uris book years ago but have never seen the celluloid version.

Great score indeed, but I would love to hear a clear (perhaps re recording) of this one, let the choir do the work in superb sound quality in the final track, and you have Goldsmith magic once again roaming your living room. Now it does it in average sound quality nonetheless wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sylvos wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Just to clarify, "Newton" is James' middle name and not a part of his surname. He uses his full name to avoid confusion with a lot of other James Howards that seem to work in music departments of films. wink

rolleyes

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

rolleyes

-Erik-

biggrin

Careful Erik, you don't want to start saying "James Powell" now. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    NP: Joyeux Noël - Philippe Rombi

Now are we sure Rombi composed this or did Zimmer ghostwrite a good portion of this score? The Thin Red Line influences in "Ouverture" and "La Guerre" are a MAJOR turn off. I'm going to stop this right now and move onto something else. Not sure what though... but I'm sure going to try and find something by a composer that isn't trying to rip off Zimmer. UGH!

Ahhhhhh... much better

NP: Rob Roy - Carter Burwell

I'm a sucker for Celtic music.

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote

Now are we sure Rombi composed this or did Zimmer ghostwrite a good portion of this score? The Thin Red Line influences in "Ouverture" and "La Guerre" are a MAJOR turn off. I'm going to stop this right now and move onto something else. Not sure what though... but I'm sure going to try and find something by a composer that isn't trying to rip off Zimmer. UGH!

-Erik-

hehe, that's true, the influences are high in this one. But I also think it is a wonderful album, the choral pieces are really beautiful and it is nice to hear European composers shining in composition
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : QB VII - Jerry Goldsmith

Been a loooong time since I listened to this, it's a great TV score, superb in fact! Anyone ever seen the film? I read Leon Uris book years ago but have never seen the celluloid version.

Great score indeed, but I would love to hear a clear (perhaps re recording) of this one, let the choir do the work in superb sound quality in the final track, and you have Goldsmith magic once again roaming your living room. Now it does it in average sound quality nonetheless wink

Agree 100%
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LORD OF THE FLIES - Philippe Sarde

Very derivitive of Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' but still a damn fine listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Call Of Duty | Michael Giacchino

Another excellent Giacchino score which I keep forgetting about! shocked

After playing the Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty games (not for the music, but because I liked WW2 games), I started listening to more and more film music. Giacchino too moved more and more into TV and film, and now I've started playing these old(er) games again, after hearing his newer work, it's really weird, but seriously cool hearing the tunes from (one of) my favourite composer(s). punk
  4. Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

hehe, that's true, the influences are high in this one. But I also think it is a wonderful album, the choral pieces are really beautiful and it is nice to hear European composers shining in composition

I recently got this score and I like it quite a bit. I've never heard Thin Red Line, though (which may come as a shock to many). The melodies and orchestration in Merry Christmas are all really lovely, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    The Dark Knight

I think there are two very fine tracks here, "Harvey Two-Face" and "A Dark Knight". Those two are real keepers for me. The rest I could take or leave.

22 minutes..not bad :p

NP:tThe Dark Knight

I listen even the most atmospheric stuff. Wich I find pretty involving. Specially the distorsioned effects for Joker. " A little push" is the kind of music to expect for a Dark and Eclectic movie.

I can't wait to watch the movie!!!!

Nokia Xpress Music contains a so fu_king awesome crystal sound!
  5. Anthony wrote
    Call Of Duty | Michael Giacchino

Another excellent Giacchino score which I keep forgetting about! shocked

After playing the Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty games (not for the music, but because I liked WW2 games), I started listening to more and more film music. Giacchino too moved more and more into TV and film, and now I've started playing these old(er) games again, after hearing his newer work, it's really weird, but seriously cool hearing the tunes from (one of) my favourite composer(s). punk

I really want Call of Duty: Finest Hour released. A shame it isn't because it's even better than CoD (more melodic, less repetitive).

But yeah his game scores rock. Did you ever hear Small Soldiers, it's one of his first and so cool it can easily stand next to Goldsmith's funfest. I really want to hear more of this Giacchino and less of his film compositions.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Erik Woods wrote

That film does get temped a lot... (Thin Red Line)

JOYEUX NOEL is probably my least favourite of his. For all that, it's still quite a nice score, but against SWIMMING POOL, ANGEL, JEUX DES ENFANTS and others, it really doesn't cut the mustard.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    I really want Call of Duty: Finest Hour released.

Wink, wink, Erik. wink wink

(Help wink)

WINK

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    NP:The Dark Knight (Hans & James )

The first score tried to be too many things, and It never worked ( IMHO)

The Dark Knight works in many levels :

As Dissonant Goldenthal-esque score: "why so serious", " a little push" or "i thought my jokes were bad"

As an action score : "like Dogs chasing cars", "agent chaos" " a little anarchy" or "I am not a hero"

As a drama: "Harvey two faces", " Blood on my hands", "Watch the world burn"

As a self importance score : " A dark Knight"

Curious how the recording can make good a theme or motif. " agressive expansion" makes the soso 3 notes motif a very powerlful one!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LES MISERABLES - Basil Poledouris

Lovely, heart felt score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

Yeah... simply superb. This is the perfect film for Zimmer to score. The African music... he does it so well... the themes are excellent... the action material is really something else... and the songs are classic. But where is the rest? You have to give this one an expanded release, Disney. Wake up!

Yeah! It must get an expanded release. And I for one want a complete score by hook or crook! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Jaws 3-D - Alan Parker

This score brings back a lot of memories. This was one of the very first movies I ever owned. I played the VHS tape to death. The film sucked large but I distinctly remember LOVING the music. The SeaWorld theme is the tune that really triggers the memories for me. I love it playing over top of the main titles.

Good score and a wonderful release from Intrada.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    I listened to The Lion King when I was on my bike yesterday, and although you do go on about it (wink), I'd forgotten how amazing it is! Brought back memories of childhood! Certainly one of Zimmer's most emotionally powerful scores.

Isn't it dangerous to listen to music while riding on bike? Especially amazing music gets you distracted wink

"Emotional" is the perfect word to describe TLK score!

NP: Princess Mononoke: Symphonic Suite - Joe Hisaishi

Speaking of childhood memories... I remember I was blown away by this movie and music!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp