• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Jaws 3-D - Alan Parker

This score brings back a lot of memories. This was one of the very first movies I ever owned. I played the VHS tape to death. The film sucked large but I distinctly remember LOVING the music. The Sea World theme is the tune that really triggers the memories for me. I love it playing over top of the main titles.

Good score and a wonderful release from Intrada.

-Erik-

Ah yes. Fond memories for me too!
    I saw the film in 3D back in 83 and bought the LP around the same time.
    I even used the Sea World music for my Marine Land home video in 84.
    A fine score for sure! Despite the obvious lifts from Rite Of Spring and First Blood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wanted Danny Elfman

Not the best score in the world, but it is pretty cool. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

My #3 most fav. Zimmer score of all time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    NP: Congo - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm still in the mood for some African flavored music so this was the first one that caught my eye when flipping through my collection. The finale track "Amy's Farewell/Spirit of Africa" is one of my favorites. The action music is not bad. "Bail Out" actually sounds more like hoedown music to me. It's not the greatest score in the world but it is Jerry Goldsmith so even some of his more generic music beats the pants off of a lot written these days. Dynamite recording by Bruce Botnick... but hella gay liner notes! I hope whomever came up with the CD design was shot!

I think I'm going to throw on Tears of the Sun next...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Congo - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm still in the mood for some African flavored music

I generally then pick up Congo as well, or The Ghost And The Darkness.
    I can also recommend Alan Williams' Kilimanjaro. Lovely first track (and a wonderful score).

... but hella gay liner notes!

They're pink and referencing ABBA? confused

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ANGELA'S ASHES - John Williams

A good score but very Vaughan Williams influenced which is a problem for me because it makes me want to listen to the real thing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

A good score but very Vaughan Williams influenced which is a problem for me because it makes me want to listen to the real thing.

Since I'm not a big classical fan could you point out what Vaughan Williams pieces Williams was influenced by.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Since I'm not a big classical fan could you point out what Vaughan Williams pieces Williams was influenced by.

-Erik-

Vaughan Williams style has popped up in quite a few of Johnny W's works, notably Jane Eyre, Nixon and Monsignor. I should point out that not once have I heard JW do a direct rip but his feel, particularly for Oboe and in his string writing is VERY Vaughan Willamsesque.

Are you familiar with any RVW works Erik?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would be by this point. The action material is a great improvement on Batman Begins and the more dramatic / emotional passages are really quite interesting also. The JNH stuff is nice to hear.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

I have a few of his works but I'm not familiar with his work that I can pick out his influences in film music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tears of the Sun - Hans Zimmer and Friends

Not the most enjoyable score of Zimmer's career. Very slow moving... but that 14th track is a stunner. Steve Jablonsky's "The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ/ Cameroon Border Post" is thunderous. At the 2 minute mark Jablonsky's music explodes and doesn't let up. And that sweeping string theme heard underneath all the percussion is pretty spectacular. This is where Zimmer's sound is at its best. Awesome stuff!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: Wall-E - Thomas Newman

Simply brilliant. cool
    A bit annoyed though that the movie was delayed, to be released next month here. crazy

You know... I had an Oh-Hum first listen but after seeing the movie I too think that Newman score is one of the best of the year. For a film without much dialog the music has work in order for the film to succeed. Thomas Newman succeeded! Everything from the jaunty Wall-E music to the GORGEOUS space dance music to the epic action material and my favorite cue "The Axiom" docking music.... it's GOLD!!!

However, if there is one blemish it's the Short Circuit music heard in the middle of the film. If you are familiar with THAT score, as I am, then you will hear the influence of David Shire score for another music about a friendly robot in "Foreign Contaminant." It's just the rhythm of the Short Circuit main title theme that is used but I spotted it a mile away. But it works and works extremely well in that sequence. I'm still struggling with the score on CD but now having seen the film I can really appreciate the score. It's dynamite!!!

-Erik-

Wow, i either have to watch the film or re-listen to the score 'cause the first (and only so far) 3 listens i gave it did nothing for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    I agree of course, but there are the odd albums that I like with the dialogue. Certainly Apollo 13 and Williams' War Of The World spring to mind. (But dialogue over music you want to hear IS annoying.)

Angela's Ashes (US version), chock full of dialogue, but over the years I've grown to like it, as it's actually part of the sad story and it's told in such a fashion (non-intrusive, most of it) it helps with the emotional aspect of the score.

Just thought of this: the most obnoxious dialogue-filled score release remains Babe (Varese Sarabande), that wonderful music being massacred by singing mice and other voices which belong in the movie and only in the movie. AAAARGGHHHHHHHHHHHH crazy

I think you haven't heard PHILIP GLASS' album for THE THIN BLUE LINE yet shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Eight Below - Mark Isham

Could've been much better IMO, but still I like it a lot.

I think it's great! One of my Top 10 of '06.

-Erik-

It is, an excellent "old-fashioned", full-blown orchestral feast! punk

Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

I thought I'd put this one on before heading to bed. I must say that the first three tracks are stunning! I'm still shocked that I'm saying that about this score. "Why So Serious?" is just about as perfect of a cue for the opening of the picture that you could find and it is absolutely one of the most unique pieces of "music" Zimmer as come up with.

I love "I'm Not a Hero" I've come to accept the two note motif from the first film and it's use in this track is down right perfect. The slow moving piece then kicks it up a notch but still follows a with long calls of the two note Batman motif. The big brass clusters that enter near the end of the track are most welcome and really help propel the track along.

And then there is "Harvey Two-Face." Right now , it's the cue of the year!

So, I go to bed satisfied with a score that has just completely surprised me. I had no expectations for anything great after hearing the first score but I think I had to do come to terms with my preferences in film music and realize that the world is changing. Now, I still don't like most of the changes, but I'm really glad that this score connected with me even though I still disagree adamantly with the approach of the Batman Begins score.

BTW, I've changed my mind concerning "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" My original assessment of it was wrong. I think I was talking about a different track when I was comparing this to "Molossus." I mean, there is no comparison. They are two different tracks. I actually really like "Like A Dog Chasing Cars." The new theme again fits the rest of the score like a glove.

You know, I see myself return to this score more often this year.

-Erik-

Erik, wow, just WOW! Glad you could finally hear the brilliance of "LIKE A DOG CHASING CARS", it's quickly become one of my top-candidates for isolated composition of the year. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Happy lp?

Not enough drugs in the world for that!

Watevah!!!! crazy

LOL beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Wanted Danny Elfman

Not the best score in the world, but it is pretty cool. cool

I've been listening to this one on headphones and on repeated listens in the hospital during the past couple of days and i came to shockingly (based on the very negative picture i had about Elfman 'till now, with very few exceptions i did like so far) realize i am REALLY starting to fall for Elfman these days, the Elfman of 2008 though wink WANTED AND STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE are two of the most outstanding scores of 2008 in my books; and WANTED contains some really dynamite pieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Not the most enjoyable score of Zimmer's career. Very slow moving... but that 14th track is a stunner. Steve Jablonsky's "The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ/ Cameroon Border Post" is thunderous. At the 2 minute mark Jablonsky's music explodes and doesn't let up. And that sweeping string theme heard underneath all the percussion is pretty spectacular. This is where Zimmer's sound is at its best. Awesome stuff!

-Erik-

Yeah, the album is problematic but i'd say that its lart part (5-6 last cues) contain some of the most notable (and sadly overlooked) material Zimmer wrote during his career. Very touching, powerful stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spiderman - Danny Elfman

Funny coincidence... I turned this on and the trailer of the movie (it's going to be shown on Sunday on a movie channel here) came up on the TV! tongue

Anyone else finds the low string and brass portion at 1:14 of Parade Attack chilling? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Hollow Man

Interesting score. I don't know what to say about this score. When it's good, it's classic Gold(smith). His sense of rhythm is crazy and his explosive orchestral writing is one of the trait that I love about him. I don't like it when the Basic Instinct influence start to creep in, though I understand the basic reasoning behind it. The synth work annoys me sometime at how dated it sounds most of the time. Sometime I think Basil and Jerry all share the same programmer, but whatever, at least the movie hid most of these in the sound mix. An efficient score from Jerry. I might listen to it again...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote

punk

Have you listened to Kung Fu Hustle? That's where Powell's playful oriental writings originated from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

At the 2 minute mark, it's Hans writing it, not Steve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lp wrote
    DemonStar wrote

punk

Have you listened to Kung Fu Hustle? That's where Powell's playful oriental writings originated from.

Haven't listened to that one... will check it out. Thanks! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have a few of his works but I'm not familiar with his work that I can pick out his influences in film music.

-Erik-

If you slipped 'Audience With The Holy Father' from Monsignor into RVW's Symphony # 3 no one who's initiated with JW or RVW would miss a beat, 'Restoration' from Jane Eyre sounds as if it could have been written by RVW too.

In particular you'll find influences in Symphonies 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 (#7 I'm sure you know is based on his film score Scott of The Antarctic ) and smaller works like The Fen Country and his Oboe Concerto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, wow, just WOW! Glad you could finally hear the brilliance of "LIKE A DOG CHASING CARS", it's quickly become one of my top-candidates for isolated composition of the year. punk

I wouldn't say it's "brilliant" but it far from the unfair low grade I gave it initially.

NP: Basic Instinct - Jerry Goldsmith

I absolutely love the film. And no, not just to see Sharon Stone's pus... but because it's a wonderful, well told sexy film noir thriller with an absolutely perfect score by Maestro Goldsmith... with hints of Herrmann. The main theme is one of the best piece of music ever written for a sex scene. It's truly is an orgasmic cue. It's musical sex. Lots of thrusting in those cues... the strings in "Pillow Talk" for example. I've never heard anything like it. And those synths add an element of mystery and danger. Damn... now this is BRILLIANT music!!!

I absolutely LOVE the upbeat material in "Night Life" combining high energy action with the sexy and slinky strings and slippery flute solo heard in the main theme. And the electronic... cow bell... that's what it sounds like... I like it. The action music is a close cousin to Goldsmith's AWESOME material in Total Recall.

And the finale - "An Unending Story" - I love the big splash of percussion and cymbals for the "big surprise."

A great, great score... and I actually prefer the shorter 40 minute Varese album. But, the Prometheus release is also excellent for the wonderful liner notes and alternate cues.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP : Horton Hears A Who - John Powell

For me, this is an example of a great score for an animated movie that doesn't make for a great album. The schizophrenic nature of it wears you down after a while. I really like the diversity of the orchestration and sound but I can't get into it, unlike his scores for previous Blue Sky studio movies, Ice Age and Robots, the latter of which I love, Love, LOVE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Indeed, the cues "The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ" and "Cameroon Border Post" build track 10. Tracks 1, 3, 5 and 10 also consist of two cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

rolleyes

Co-composed then... as it says in the liner notes. But I'd say that it's a variations piece that Jablonsky wrote which contains themes by Hans Zimmer as it says in the track title. Should I also give credit to Lebo M as well for "Cameroon Border Post?"

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous themes! moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WP: Meet Dave - John Debney

Listened to the first 9 or 10 tracks, skimmed through the rest until the big action cues at the end of the album. It's standard comedy fair. And as you know standard comedy fair isn't all the interesting. The score is well written but not... interesting. There are a few good cues at the end of the album but that's not enough to save it. "Mini Dave Apologizes" and "Blast Off and Return" are about as good as you will get. The latter is very 80's Horner like. But skip the rest!

So, I'm going to listen to some Debney I might as well listen to something good...

NP: Lair - John Debney

Much better thank you.

BTW, that The Incredibles motif that's opens up "Diviner Battle" is not just a bad guy motif in The Incredibles. Just listen to the bad guy motif in Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I recently had this movie on for my kid and at the beginning of the movie the cop starts whistling the bad guy tune. I'm like... HOLY SHIT... that's the "Kronos Theme".... errrr... that's the theme from Terror Tract.... errrrrr... that's the theme from Lair. I also think Ottman used it somewhere. Very popular theme that is.

-Erik-