• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote

NP: Basic Instinct - Jerry Goldsmith

I absolutely love the film. And no, not just to see Sharon Stone's pus... but because it's a wonderful, well told sexy film noir thriller with an absolutely perfect score by Maestro Goldsmith... with hints of Herrmann. The main theme is one of the best piece of music ever written for a sex scene. It's truly is an orgasmic cue. It's musical sex. Lots of thrusting in those cues... the strings in "Pillow Talk" for example. I've never heard anything like it. And those synths add an element of mystery and danger. Damn... now this is BRILLIANT music!!!

I absolutely LOVE the upbeat material in "Night Life" combining high energy action with the sexy and slinky strings and slippery flute solo heard in the main theme. And the electronic... cow bell... that's what it sounds like... I like it. The action music is a close cousin to Goldsmith's AWESOME material in Total Recall.

And the finale - "An Unending Story" - I love the big splash of percussion and cymbals for the "big surprise."

A great, great score... and I actually prefer the shorter 40 minute Varese album. But, the Prometheus release is also excellent for the wonderful liner notes and alternate cues.

-Erik-

Ha, just yesterday I was also playing this one in my car, not the best environment I agree for this type of score, but I get your reasoning when you say you prefer the Varese release. All the best stuff is packed together, it makes for one stunning cue after another. The complete is well... not as stunning but still miles ahead of most of the current stuff, because Goldsmith is the ultimate tunesmith, he will always be in my book. I absolutely love Roxy Loses... one of the all time best Goldsmith action cues. And yeah Unending Story... builds to that all important climax, a true stunner of a finale. But what gets me the most is the sound he created for this score and the film, it's so unique I cannot say it sounds like anything else, the themes and underscore all have that distinct sound only Goldsmith came up with. To not being able to hear anything like this anymore is just so goddamn sad.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: Lair - John Debney

Much better thank you.

BTW, that The Incredibles motif that's opens up "Diviner Battle" is not just a bad guy motif in The Incredibles. Just listen to the bad guy motif in Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I recently had this movie on for my kid and at the beginning of the movie the cop starts whistling the bad guy tune. I'm like... HOLY SHIT... that's the "Kronos Theme".... errrr... that's the theme from Terror Tract.... errrrrr... that's the theme from Lair. I also think Ottman used it somewhere. Very popular theme that is.

-Erik-

Bet it's not as popular as the four note motif! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: Lair - John Debney

Much better thank you.

BTW, that The Incredibles motif that's opens up "Diviner Battle" is not just a bad guy motif in The Incredibles. Just listen to the bad guy motif in Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I recently had this movie on for my kid and at the beginning of the movie the cop starts whistling the bad guy tune. I'm like... HOLY SHIT... that's the "Kronos Theme".... errrr... that's the theme from Terror Tract.... errrrrr... that's the theme from Lair. I also think Ottman used it somewhere. Very popular theme that is.

-Erik-

Bet it's not as popular as the four note motif! biggrin

Which Debney SURPRISINGLY uses in Lair. It's like... ARE YOU SERIOUS?! You are ripping off Horner's four note danger motif?! Dooooooooooood?!

Still Playing LAIR - And Kevin Kaska hit it out of the park with "Blood River" Whooooooooooooa baby, that's my kind of action track! And to come out of that monster track to the absolutely gorgeous "Rohn's Theme." One of my favorite themes of all time. It's rendition in "Epilogue" made that cue the cue of the year for me last year.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - Spirit: stallion of the cimarron

An amazingly beautiful, melodic score, gorgeous at every note of it; i am even enjoying the cheesy Bryan Adams / Zimmer songs! shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

An amazingly beautiful, melodic score, gorgeous at every note of it; i am even enjoying the cheesy Bryan Adams / Zimmer songs! shocked

shocked Boy they really did dose you up! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Wow, really? Even the synth stuff? I never could with it. Some nice tender music, but the rest....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked Boy they really did dose you up! wink

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote

I really must get that one sometime. I've seen the movie so many times, have always loved the score in the film, but have never gotten around to getting the OST.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOLLOW MAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Thought I'd give this a spin seeing as it's been mentioned today. Good score! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Tears of the Sun - Hans Zimmer and Friends

Not the most enjoyable score of Zimmer's career. Very slow moving... but that 14th track is a stunner. Steve Jablonsky's "The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ/ Cameroon Border Post" is thunderous. At the 2 minute mark Jablonsky's music explodes and doesn't let up. And that sweeping string theme heard underneath all the percussion is pretty spectacular. This is where Zimmer's sound is at its best. Awesome stuff!

-Erik-

At the 2 minute mark, it's Hans writing it, not Steve.

rolleyes

Co-composed then... as it says in the liner notes. But I'd say that it's a variations piece that Jablonsky wrote which contains themes by Hans Zimmer as it says in the track title. Should I also give credit to Lebo M as well for "Cameroon Border Post?"

-Erik-

Lebo M.'s credit means probably an improvisation. Zimmer admits crediting improvisation as additional scoring.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

This is by far my favorite Hans Zimmer music. It has beautiful emotional music and the African music is excellent. Shame about the release....

NP: Doctor Who Seasons 1 & 2 - Murray Gold

This is great music. As good as The Lion King? Not at all, but that's just because The Lion King is in a league of its own. The Doctor Who music is still excellent and I'm very much looking forward to hearing the third season's music after I watch it on DVD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lair - John Debney

The best kind of generic! Very entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Lair - John Debney

The best kind of generic! Very entertaining.

Give me more of this kind of generic any day over the majority of the crap we get now.

NO: Frida - Elliot Goldenthal

Great album. Solid score. You have to be in the mood to listen to Spanish music... and right now I am. And IMHO "Burn It Blue" should have won the Oscar for best song!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Great album. Solid score. You have to be in the mood to listen to Spanish music... and right now I am. And IMHO "Burn It Blue" should have won the Oscar for best song!

-Erik-

Yeah, what a song... and devastatingly effective in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008
    NP: The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan.

I love, Love, LOVE the main theme. I fell in love with it the first time I heard it in the movie. So wistful and hopeful. The accompanying march is a delight as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    rolleyes

Co-composed then... as it says in the liner notes. But I'd say that it's a variations piece that Jablonsky wrote which contains themes by Hans Zimmer as it says in the track title. Should I also give credit to Lebo M as well for "Cameroon Border Post?"

-Erik-

I can't debate this since I'm at work and I haven't ripped the CD into my iTunes library yet. From what I remembered and understood about the album and that track, which is a combination of two cues, Steve did the first part, which is the variation, and then the cue got combined with the "Cameroon Border Post" cue, which is written by Hans with the vocal parts added into the cue by Lebo. I think the credits did make this distinction as well.
  3. Yes, they did. The question is whether the atonal transition was Zimmer's or Jablonsky's. It would be of my great interest to know it for a fact - the same for a similar transition between Pereira/Lebo's Yekeleni II and Carnage.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Everytime I listen to this CD the same thought came up, MORE ACTION, MORE ACTION!!!!! What's there now isn't enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Soulcalibur II - Junichi Nakatsuru, etc.

Got this album from my friend. Traditional video game synthy stuff. Some of it I like, a lot I don't.

Favorite tracks:

1. Under the Star of Destiny
    4. Guided By Wind
    6. Raise Thy Sword
    26. Path of Destiny
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scorpio - Jerry Fielding

Real music. Oh yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

This is by far my favorite Hans Zimmer music. It has beautiful emotional music and the African music is excellent. Shame about the release....

beer

Let's hope Mr. Zimmer sees the petition and our woes, and leaks out a good quality composer promo! biggrin

NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Packed with power!! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steve Jablonsky's "The Jablonsky Variations On A Theme By HZ/ Cameroon Border Post" is thunderous. !

-Erik-

How the detailed credits said, Cameroon Border post is composed By Hans and Lebo, and "Jablonsky variatons on a HZ theme" is by Jablonsky ( rolleyes tongue )

I tend to enjoy "small pice for..", " Carnage", And the last 2 tracks a lot.

NP:Ghost and the Darkness (Goldsmith)

This total recall rhytms anre cool!!!!

Congo's theme is good, but I find Lebo M moments to sacharine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

ahahahahaha...

Well! the main themes are great!!! the songs with bryan adams are cool! And some moments like Rain's death and Run free are great..

But gorgeous?? come on, it's a crappy synthetic sound! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Treasure Island (promo) - Christopher L Stone

A rather unknown score, but a very fine one IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

ahahahahaha...

Well! the main themes are great!!! the songs with bryan adams are cool! And some moments like Rain's death and Run free are great..

If it was more orchestral, it could be nice on album. But I think it wouldn't work in the movie, because pure orchestral score would be out of place between Brian Adams' pop songs... or vice versa. I dislike when score and songs don't blend well together.

Zimmer's initial idea on this score was using only electronics and guitars, so it may be more acceptable if you regard it as a synth score with orchestra, not an orchestral score with synthesizers. wink

I'm not sure gorgeous is the best word to describe it, but I agree that it's beautiful, melodic, and energetic!

NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

Oh yes I love this score! Maybe I'm a but biased because it was my second Zimmer score and from one of my favorite animated movies. But Homeland theme is really great, simple but memorable. And songs using Zimmer's themes are also good.

BA's songs worked very well in the story of a speechless horse, but sometimes his voice annoys me... I hope someone else will make a cover version of I Will Always Return (my favorite song) biggrin

And it would be nice if instrumental version of Nothing I've Ever Known was on the album (as used in the movie)...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008 edited
    NP: Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King (Complete) - Howard Shore

Thank God this masterpiece didn't suffer The Lion King's fate and got a well deserved complete release only a few years after the film's release!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Moby Dick - Christopher Gordon

After have a close shave with a couple of Humpbacks in our friend's boat today this is the score I had to play once I got back. Brilliant music too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Atham wrote
    After have a close shave with a couple of Humpbacks in our friend's boat today this is the score I had to play once I got back. Brilliant music too!

Wow... I love marine biology! Would like to go out into the sea some day! biggrin

NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

Was reminded strongly of this... wink
  4. Atham wrote
    NP: Moby Dick - Christopher Gordon

I can say there's some probability that the composer in question may have read this post.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am