• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008 edited
    NP:Lost season 3

I found Joker's theme (Zimmer) in Dharmacide from Lost season 3 tongue

In love with Kate's theme.

"under the knife" is one of the best tension-action tracks I ever heard!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

What? I didn't think the Joker had a theme - just that...noise. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What? I didn't think the Joker had a theme - just that...noise. dizzy

It has one note in the middle of the noise dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SNAKE EYES - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Excellent score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Sylvos wrote
    NP: Mummy 3 - Rand Edelman

So, what do we have here?
    Ethnic elements? Check!
    Choir? Well, it's mixed very low but still, check!
    err... full orchestra? Yep, it's there and I can say for certain now that it's big! Regrettably the sound quality is not that good to fully enjoy it.

It's not a bad listening experience at all. In fact it's better than what those samples at Play.com suggest and I do think it is one of Edelman's better score in the recent years yet it's no way as good Goldsmith and Silvestri's takes, not even close to them in fact. It's interesting but not exciting. Bombastic but not fantastic. A relatively good adventure score but not really fitting in the mummy franchise in my humble opinions. A 75 minutes release is way too long and unnecessary for this. A 40-45 one would have been sufficient.

I don't have a favorite track but in general I like the emperor/mummy's theme best. A version of it can be heard from the film's website at the moment.

It's mediocre, awful and annoying.

This synth orchestra from a bad 80's tv show for a 200 mlion dollar movie is embrassing....

But even worst is convert a bad director's cut tune in the main theme of one score.

vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

Give me "Krakens" any day! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gojira David Arnold

The alignment of the moon and the planets was just right and it was time to listen to this again. So awesome, so awesome.

punk punk punk punk cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Gojira David Arnold

The alignment of the moon and the planets was just right and it was time to listen to this again. So awesome, so awesome.

punk punk punk punk cheesy

I think you could give yourself an extra punk just for saying Gojira cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah boi. biggrin

I've been listening to some of Ifukube's Gojira music, and I can definitely see where Giacchino got his ideas from for Roar!. Great fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Excellent score!

Yeah - agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    NP: Mummy 3 - Rand Edelman

So, what do we have here?
    Ethnic elements? Check!
    Choir? Well, it's mixed very low but still, check!
    err... full orchestra? Yep, it's there and I can say for certain now that it's big! Regrettably the sound quality is not that good to fully enjoy it.

It's not a bad listening experience at all. In fact it's better than what those samples at Play.com suggest and I do think it is one of Edelman's better score in the recent years yet it's no way as good Goldsmith and Silvestri's takes, not even close to them in fact. It's interesting but not exciting. Bombastic but not fantastic. A relatively good adventure score but not really fitting in the mummy franchise in my humble opinions. A 75 minutes release is way too long and unnecessary for this. A 40-45 one would have been sufficient.

I don't have a favorite track but in general I like the emperor/mummy's theme best. A version of it can be heard from the film's website at the moment.

This synth orchestra from a bad 80's tv show for a 200 mlion dollar movie is embrassing....

Considering who your favourite composer is, I have to laugh! Mummy 3 is like a typical Zimmer-era action score to me. Don't see the difference between it and something like Last Samurai.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Excellent score!

Yeah - agreed.

ave you played Little Buddha yet James?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Considering who your favourite composer is, I have to laugh! Mummy 3 is like a typical Zimmer-era action score to me. Don't see the difference between it and something like Last Samurai.

Well....The last samurai is a diferent score, and Zimmer goes where Edelman even can't dream.

But, being said that, The Last Samurai contains the most mediocre, annoying and Awful action stuff Zimmer has ever wrotte ( being the exception the percusive moments in " To know Your Enemy " [ / quote]

NP: Lost Season 3

In love with kate's theme. and with kate.... spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

It's by no means a masterpiece, but on my 4th listen this already sounds more like the Horner I love. Yet the score could have used a strong central theme, something which is a Horner trademark, yet sorely missing here. The strongest development of a theme comes in "The Flight of the Griffin" which is truly wonderful. And I don't care if Casper, the friendly ghost gets a cameo here, we're used to that sort of thing by now. With Spiderwick we could not have hoped for something of the calibre of Willow, he has outgrown that phase a long time ago, but Horner can still write damn fine fantasy music, even if it's devoid of good action cues which Willow had plenty of.

My rating: biggrin biggrin biggrin cheesy (3 and a half in case I screwed up with the smilies)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Southall wrote

Give me Zimmer over Edelman any day. At least Zimmer can write thunderous action for orchestra.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

Give me Zimmer over Edelman any day. At least Zimmer can write thunderous action for orchestra.

This is a futile comparation.

He is just trying to be polemic because his site is loosing viewers dizzy tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

He can!? I admit I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, but Mummy 3 is as good as most of Zimmer's more adventure-themed action scores.

Jordi, how do you know my site is losing viewers?! Last I checked it has more than ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

He can!? I admit I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, but Mummy 3 is as good as most of Zimmer's more adventure-themed action scores.

Jordi, how do you know my site is losing viewers?! Last I checked it has more than ever.

Because i can't enter. the page doesn't load. So..:you are loosing my "view" tongue

About the Zimmer thing...No, you are not playing as a Devil Advocate, you are being unfair.

Zimmer is where he is because something. Even if He sometimes (and I said sometimes) is a BigMac. But he still is "BIG" mac....

NP:Lost Season 3 (Giacchino)

"Juliet is Lost" with the island's theme is a dream come true!!! Why he didn't realeased this theme when he composed that for the first season??? I hope he will use it more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Nautilus wrote

A BIG yes to "mediocere"
    A NO (with capital letters) to "awful" - that would be Iron Man this year. Nothing can beat that the way I see it.
    And a so, so, to "annoying" coz I'm only annoyed by the sound quality and the low mix of Erhu and choir (which is not included in most of the tracks anyway.)

Nautilus wrote

Na'h, this one is real orchestra for sure. It's just that synth stuff was mixed to make it sound bigger, I think (although it fails to do that, at least for me!). Listen to Gettysburg for a real synth orchestra (it's the only other Edelman score I listened to anyway hehe)

Southall wrote
    Don't see the difference between it and something like Last Samurai.

TLS is way better than Mummy 3. The only thing Edelman manages to do here is adjusting his three themes' lengths in order to fit the picture, without changing a note. Zimmer at least plays around with his themes a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Because i can't enter. the page doesn't load. So..:you are loosing my "view" tongue

About the Zimmer thing...No, you are not playing as a Devil Advocate, you are being unfair.

Zimmer is where he is because something. Even if He sometimes (and I said sometimes) is a BigMac. But he still is "BIG" mac....

Weird you can't get to my site - it loads for me.

I don't think Edelman's Mummy score is any worse than what Zimmer would have produced for this film. I don't think Edelman is as good as Zimmer at creating the kind of instrumental pop they both do, but there's not a huge difference there to my ears on this sort of score. My biggest problem with Zimmer's albums is the way such a giant orchestra is made to sound so small because of the banal orchestration (I have plenty of bigger problems with the way he scores films, but I'm just talking about the albums here) and that also seems to be the problem with Edelman's score here, but there is some great big action music also, not far removed from what Zimmer would have done (and indeed some of the "assistants" here are the same "assistants" as the ones who work on Zimmer's scores, so it's not that surprising).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Waterworld - James Newton Howard

Fantastic 'over the top' action scoring in this one. Also quite emotional in parts.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Weird you can't get to my site - it loads for me.

I don't think Edelman's Mummy score is any worse than what Zimmer would have produced for this film. I don't think Edelman is as good as Zimmer at creating the kind of instrumental pop they both do, but there's not a huge difference there to my ears on this sort of score. My biggest problem with Zimmer's albums is the way such a giant orchestra is made to sound so small because of the banal orchestration (I have plenty of bigger problems with the way he scores films, but I'm just talking about the albums here) and that also seems to be the problem with Edelman's score here, but there is some great big action music also, not far removed from what Zimmer would have done (and indeed some of the "assistants" here are the same "assistants" as the ones who work on Zimmer's scores, so it's not that surprising).

Leave all the typical Zimmer polemic aside. I mean the "assistants jobs" and how he use the orchestra.

There are a couple of facts: he can writte memorable themes, he can touch the righ dramatic bottom, he is versatile , he can experiment with a lot of music..... and that's why he is where he is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Zimmer polemic? So James is putting forward a controversial argument fundamentally attacking the opposite opinion is he? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

Leave all the typical Zimmer polemic aside. I mean the "assistants jobs" and how he use the orchestra.

There are a couple of facts: he can writte memorable themes, he can touch the righ dramatic bottom, he is versatile , he can experiment with a lot of music..... and that's why he is where he is.

So you think he uses the orchestra well? You think the "assistants" just make his tea and take his dogs for a walk? Sometimes I don't understand you at all. I am stating my opinion that his scores are horribly-orchestrated. It's the stuff a child could do - brass and winds in unison, doubled-up with synths, a wash of strings also in unison. It's the sort of thing that sounds great on samples on your computer, and just sounds horrible when it is then performed on the stage.

As for touching the right dramatic bottom (!), the very reason I don't like Zimmer's scores (as film scores) is that there is no drama there at all. It's just a surface-level reaction to what you can already see on screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Mr. & Mrs. Smith - John Powell

Now this is a nice surprise, I'm enjoying this score a lot more than I can remember from previous listens but then it's been so long. This is fantastic stuff!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    NP: Mr. & Mrs. Smith - John Powell

Now this is a nice surprise, I'm enjoying this score a lot more than I can remember from previous listens but then it's been so long. This is fantastic stuff!

punk

Definitely one of his highlights! A modern, fun, exciting and really sexy score. Powell scored the rivalry, sexual tension and comedy between the main characters brilliantly. Have you seen the movie? I thought it was much better than the reviews made it out to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I haven't seen the film, no. But from the trailer/clips I've seen, I expect it works really well alongside the on-screen chemistry between Pitt and Jolie. It's a very sexy score, yeh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Zimmer debate no. 1847 sleep

Just as a reminder to Prof. Southall: Randy Edelman is the composer of The Mummy 3 not Hans Zimmer... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

So you think he uses the orchestra well? You think the "assistants" just make his tea and take his dogs for a walk? Sometimes I don't understand you at all. I am stating my opinion that his scores are horribly-orchestrated. It's the stuff a child could do - brass and winds in unison, doubled-up with synths, a wash of strings also in unison. It's the sort of thing that sounds great on samples on your computer, and just sounds horrible when it is then performed on the stage.

As for touching the right dramatic bottom (!), the very reason I don't like Zimmer's scores (as film scores) is that there is no drama there at all. It's just a surface-level reaction to what you can already see on screen.

Zimmer never could use the synth like Edelman do in The Mummy 3. Well he used it in his earlier days, in Driving miss daysi or Drop Zone.

But Now, he uses the synth in other way. To create power.

About Zimmer use the orchestra....well, It is difererent. Sometimes is annotying (Gladiator) sometimes is good ( As good as it gets, AWE )

But one thing is sure, now he can compose for orchestra without his "underlings". But he is too lazy (why waste time to writte music for some stupid or useless scene? that's why he has underlings. He wants to focus in the worth things ) .
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote

But one thing is sure, now he can compose for orchestra without his "underlings". But he is too lazy (why waste time to writte music for some stupid or useless scene? that's why he has underlings. He wants to focus in the worth things ) .

I suppose that's one way of looking at it! Surely a real professional would recognise that you really can't have a film score that propels a film along dramatically, and goes above-and-beyond the generic, if you treat the stupid and useless scenes like that. If the music in them is unimportant, then don't put any music there!

Note to Dr Thomas: I only raise this because it's the same people who worship any peurile dreck that Zimmer churns out who are being truly scathing about Mummy 3, which is composed in an identical style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Note to Dr Thomas: I only raise this because it's the same people who worship any peurile dreck that Zimmer churns out who are being truly scathing about Mummy 3, which is composed in an identical style.

it's not identical style. Just because there are synthetisers used in as orchestra doesn't mean it's the same style.

the synth is used in a diferent way, and the also the music is composed diferent!!! ( Edelman composes in a more traditional way, even if it's synth!!! But it's synth trying to be orchestra! Zimmer uses synth as a synth! )