• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    I don't really agree with that. They both just use synths to double-up the orchestral part (ie both use sampled brass to play the same tune as real brass). It's why the orchestras always sound so small.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    I don't really agree with that. They both just use synths to double-up the orchestral part (ie both use sampled brass to play the same tune as real brass). It's why the orchestras always sound so small.

I'm not agree.

If you want to hear the diference you only has to listen two cues from Batman Begins.

"myotis" (probably composed by Howard trying to be Zimmer) and "molossus" (Zimmer himself.) . Can you notice the diference betwen them???
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Southall wrote
    I suppose that's one way of looking at it! Surely a real professional would recognise that you really can't have a film score that propels a film along dramatically, and goes above-and-beyond the generic, if you treat the stupid and useless scenes like that. If the music in them is unimportant, then don't put any music there!

Note to Dr Thomas: I only raise this because it's the same people who worship any peurile dreck that Zimmer churns out who are being truly scathing about Mummy 3, which is composed in an identical style.

The latest action aventure score from Hans Zimmer was Pirates 3 and I don't cosider this to be dreck, you self gave a 4 star rating. What other action adventure scores by Hans do you think are dreck?
  1. Touché... biggrin

Et dans le mille en plus !
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Mr. & Mrs. Smith - John Powell

Now this is a nice surprise, I'm enjoying this score a lot more than I can remember from previous listens but then it's been so long. This is fantastic stuff!

punk

Definitely one of his highlights! A modern, fun, exciting and really sexy score. Powell scored the rivalry, sexual tension and comedy between the main characters brilliantly. Have you seen the movie? I thought it was much better than the reviews made it out to be.

One of my favourites too.

One thing I thought might be quite good - why didn't Powell write two half themes that come together to form a big main one towards the end of the movie? Now that would have been v. cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas wrote
    The latest action aventure score from Hans Zimmer was Pirates 3 and I don't cosider this to be dreck, you self gave a 4 star rating. What other action adventure scores by Hans do you think are dreck?

"Dreck" was rather harsh but the stuff with the infantile orchestrations works just fine in Pirates because it's a comedic adventure film - much like The Mummy! Edelman's music is nowhere near so fun as Pirates 3, but the way it's arranged and orchestrated is very similar. It's more like a slightly less-serious version of The Last Samurai.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

Now this is a nice surprise, I'm enjoying this score a lot more than I can remember from previous listens but then it's been so long. This is fantastic stuff!

punk

Definitely one of his highlights! A modern, fun, exciting and really sexy score. Powell scored the rivalry, sexual tension and comedy between the main characters brilliantly. Have you seen the movie? I thought it was much better than the reviews made it out to be.

One thing I thought might be quite good - why didn't Powell write two half themes that come together to form a big main one towards the end of the movie? Now that would have been v. cool!

Maybe because, if I remember correctly, there was no music (or at least there was non original music) in the final action set piece. That really pissed me off while watching the sequence.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Zimmer uses synth as a synth! )

I NEED to understand this one.... rolleyes

Southall wrote
    Edelman's music is nowhere near so fun as Pirates 3, but the way it's arranged and orchestrated is very similar. It's more like a slightly less-serious version of The Last Samurai.

I thought you were joking with The Last Samurai Vs The Mummy 3 comparison, but I see you are being serious; you really think you can compare such different kinda scores? I mean one being basically dramatic / romantic stuff (ok, some average action pieces) and the other an adventure score?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    ... It's more like a slightly less-serious version of The Last Samurai.
    ...which did also receive a 4 star rating. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think I need to start again! I'm talking about the way they're orchestrated, which is the thing which everyone is using to bash Edelman's score. It's the same orchestration style as Zimmer. I'm not saying the scores are the same.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

punk

Maybe because, if I remember correctly, there was no music (or at least there was non original music) in the final action set piece. That really pissed me off while watching the sequence.

It didn't annoy me that much as the score on the album ends well, but I know what you mean. That last final gun fight is just scored with that crappy Spanish guitar song. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wild Wild West Elmer and Son Ltd.

I like the film, and I love the score. What a theme!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: The Time Machine -Klaus Badelt

Simply amazing. I haven't heard many things by Badelt, but this has got to be his best music yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Living Daylights - John Barry

So enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Marie Ward Elmer Bernstein

Such a lovely score, one with real heart. None of that fake stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Comparing Edelman to Zimmer... slant

IMVHO there's no comparison. I know Zimmer and Edelman both use a lot of synths, but Zimmer's synths don't stick out like a sore thumb as Edelman's do in some scores. I don't think there is any comparison b/w The Last Samurai and Mummy 3. The former is one of my very favourite Zimmer scores with IMO nice sound but there isn't really anything special about M3. Just my humble opinion.

NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

No more words required!! punk punkpunkpunkpunkpunkpunk
  2. NP: Barber of Siberia (Edward Artemyev)

Powerful, romantic score. I wish it was easier to get hold of Artemyev's score. He's a composer that has given cinema a great deal over the years.

Next: When Good Ghouls Go Bad (Gordon) - underrated score, possibly because of the awful CD cover
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Soul Of The Ultimate Nation - Howard Shore

Might consider it a LoTR bonus!! punk
  3. DemonStar wrote
    NP: Soul Of The Ultimate Nation - Howard Shore

Might consider it a LoTR bonus!! punk

You bet. Without the themes but equally grand and epic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP:The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

Oh man I had forgotten how great this score really is. I've heard it once or twice years ago, didn't click with me, but I've rediscovered it as of today. For me this is a good example of what's missing in a lot of film music today. Goldsmith's genious talent to always write interesting cues that are mind blowing and get under your skin. I thought The Omen had some good moments, but this is truly terrifying music. Riveting stuff and what he did with the choir: bloody hell!!! And the year after he would write my favorite Goldsmith ever: Poltergeist !!!!

My rating: cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: a Sports compilation by Martin (Tintin)
    Hoping to find some answers to the GTS game! But since I didn't keep the tracklist with the CD, this whole disc is like one guess the score game to me right now... Let's see if I recognize some first.

A very good listen all the way through and right now Rudy is playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I found it a bit hard to dig out a 2-day-old post on MainTitles! dizzy wink

Marselus wrote
    Miya wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP Casi Divas (Hans Zimmer and Co.) - in the film

I don´t know how Zimmer became involved with this Mexican film, but the score is a small one by Zimmer and his usual suspects when its about a small ensemble (you know, Heitor Pereira, Martin Tillman, Lorne Balfe, Ryeland Allison, etc).
    Guitar/piano driven, a bit (just a bit) Powellish at some points and with a theme amusingly True Romance-ish. Functional but nothing specially intetresting.

Guitar/piano driven... is it something like Spanglish? Or The Holiday? If so, I wanna hear it lick

Casi Divas is a much more simple score than the two you mention. And there´s no much music in the film (maybe 25 minutes or so). Spanglish or The Holiday are more thematic and rich musically.

Then there isn't much chance of a score release... hope Heitor Pereira will put some cues on his website biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PS I Love You John Powell

One of my favourite scores from this year, or perhaps a more accurate description is one of my favourite score albums from this year.

I have no interest in seeing the movie and not much interest in hearing how it works within the movie, all I know is it makes a lovely album. Simple, sweet, charming and laid back. Couldn't care less what all the naysayers think of this score (e.g. Lord Pessimist Anthony), this is a wonderful little score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, we all know Anthony isn't a proper Powell fan...

biggrin

NP: Proof Of Life - Danny Elfman (2000)
    Got inspired after the -surprisingly good!- film on TV last night. Hope the album keeps up as well as the score in the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Got inspired after the -surprisingly good!- film on TV last night. Hope the album keeps up as well as the score in the film.

I caught about 15 minutes somewhere in the middle and although it had the potential of being a suspenseful movie, I was simply annoyed that of those 15 minutes, 10 minutes were just shots of Meg Ryan looking sad and shaking her head...

So we watched The Office (UK) instead. biggrin

NP: Mystery, Alaska - Carter Burwell
    Really good, really good!
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote

I caught about 15 minutes somewhere in the middle and although it had the potential of being a suspenseful movie, I was simply annoyed that of those 15 minutes, 10 minutes were just shots of Meg Ryan looking sad and shaking her head...

Honestly, it was a pretty good film...

So we watched The Office (UK) instead. biggrin

...but this by far would have been the better choice anyway. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    PS I Love You John Powell

One of my favourite scores from this year, or perhaps a more accurate description is one of my favourite score albums from this year.

I have no interest in seeing the movie and not much interest in hearing how it works within the movie, all I know is it makes a lovely album. Simple, sweet, charming and laid back. Couldn't care less what all the naysayers think of this score (e.g. Lord Pessimist Anthony), this is a wonderful little score.

What? I like this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP:The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

Oh man I had forgotten how great this score really is. I've heard it once or twice years ago, didn't click with me, but I've rediscovered it as of today. For me this is a good example of what's missing in a lot of film music today. Goldsmith's genious talent to always write interesting cues that are mind blowing and get under your skin. I thought The Omen had some good moments, but this is truly terrifying music. Riveting stuff and what he did with the choir: bloody hell!!! And the year after he would write my favorite Goldsmith ever: Poltergeist !!!!

My rating: cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Let me just revise your rating for you....

punk punk punk punk punk

There! That's better! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    YES YES AND FRICKIN YES!

punk punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    YES YES AND FRICKIN YES!

punk punk punk punk punk

cool beer

NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

Gorgeous score with sublime choral writing, breathtakingly beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt