• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    NP : FRANCES - John Barry

A bit repetitive but the theme is gorgeous, typical of the composers 80's style.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. John Barry - Dances with the Wolves

Not much can be said of this score anymore. It's just plain amazing with all the orchestrations and themes. And a great film.

punk punk punk punk punk punk

'Nuff said.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Barber of Siberia (Edward Artemyev)

Powerful, romantic score. I wish it was easier to get hold of Artemyev's score. He's a composer that has given cinema a great deal over the years.

Next: When Good Ghouls Go Bad (Gordon) - underrated score, possibly because of the awful CD cover

That score is stunning, i completely agree. I still remember how amazed and surprised i was when i played it at first, a totally unknown composer and score to me up to that time so i was completely unprepared of what i was going to listen!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Dances with the Wolves

Not much can be said of this score anymore. It's just plain amazing with all the orchestrations and themes. And a great film.

'Nuff said.

Incredible score imo cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Journey to the Center of the Earth - Andrew Lockington
    Hearing this for the first time on album (seen the film three times) and I am still surprised that no one is talking about it. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear it is Cornish's "Island of Lost Souls"...its not quite as ingeniously rich and complex and dense as that, but the orchestral stylings and overall feel are similar. As much as I like Team Zimmer, its refreshing to hear a summer action/adventure score that has very little influence from that camp, and relies almost completely on traditional orchestra for its fireworks.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - Dances with the Wolves

'Nuff said.

Incredible score imo cool beer

Oh yes, it is. Glad to see some Barry in this thread too. For a while I didn't like him much, but then when I got hooked in thanks to Lion in Winter, I got into him.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sorry to lower the tone here...

WAR Brian Tyler

Good for when you're not in the mood for a magnificent masterpiece, but rather a down and dirty kick ass score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: Amélie - Yann Tiersen
    Sigh... has always been a favourite and always will be. I return to it very often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Again, sorry to lower the tone, but I'm on a roll here...

The Hunted Brian Tyler

Effectively it's all pretty much the same, but who cares, it's appealing on a very raw level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    steven, the whole point of this thread is to have as much musical variety as possible (at least within the realm of film scores)

please no one reply that the whole point of this thread is actually to say what we are playing now wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It is!? Why didn't you say before!?

Greatest Hits Spice Girls

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ....there's some film music on there somewhere. Honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    i wasn't aware that the Spice Girls had composed a film score!?! shocked

NP: War - Brian Tyler
    because i want to be cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    NP: Hellboy 2 - Danny Elfman

I like this!! Nice themes and the choir is great too!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

wow. Very moving.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Hellboy 2 - Danny Elfman

I like this!! Nice themes and the choir is great too!! punk

Like?
    Themes?
    Choir?
    shocked

Jeez...I really thought this score was as generic as they come.
    I like Beltrami's effort SO much better. sad

NP: fuck last thirty years. STAR WARS
    PROPER.

punk punk punk punk :punk:erdee:punk:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Martijn wrote
    Jeez...I really thought this score was as generic as they come.
    I like Beltrami's effort SO much better. sad

I didn't say it was better than Beltrami's music, I only said I liked it. wink I agree the first score is much better.

Just wanted to say that BTW I joined tuition classes for exam preparations so I may not be able to visit as frequently. But I'll try to visit in weekends and post. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Empire Strikes Back (Williams)

Some months ago I started to listen the original trilogy of scores. After my Obsession with Return of the Jedi and my love with "luke and Leia" theme and all the climax with the emperor's theme I realized Empire was overall a most complete score.

Then step by step the music growed on me, and watching the movie I was amazed in how well is integrated with every frame.

Now It is my all time (well, it depents of the day. Sometimes is lair, Awe or Da Vinci Code ). favourite score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Empire Strikes Back (Williams)

Now It is my all time (well, it depents of the day. Sometimes is lair, Awe or Da Vinci Code ). favourite score.

If that's the case, would it not be better just to name it one of your Top 5 scores rather than keep having a different No. 1 score depending on your mood? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Doctor Who (July 27th Proms Concert)

Performances lack some "oomph", but damn, Gold's compositions remain bloody fabulous.
    It probably was more fun to attend then to revisit pure auditorily (references are made to Sontarans dancing merrily on stage with Cybermen, so that should have been an...interesting sight...), but it's a well-balanced concert, with some interesting orchestration.
    I do prefer the proper soundtrack CDs overall, though, for their dynamics and dramatic range.

I can't wait for a release of season four's soundtrack... if any such release is forthcoming.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Performances lack some "oomph", but damn, Gold's compositions remain bloody fabulous.
    It probably was more fun to attend then to revisit pure auditorily (references are made to Sontarans dancing merrily on stage with Cybermen, so that should have been an...interesting sight...), but it's a well-balanced concert, with some interesting orchestration.
    I do prefer the proper soundtrack CDs overall, though, for their dynamics and dramatic range.

I can't wait for a release of season four's soundtrack... if any such release is forthcoming.

Not being a fan of Doc Who (I thought I'd let you know that, that I'm not a fan of Doctor Who. And one more time; I'm not a fan of Doctor Who), I've never heard Gold's music. What does it sounds like? Typical British TV music or something more Hollywood?
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Jude by Adrian Johnston Very pretty and soothing, although I think the tracks were better in the second half of the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Typical British TV music?

Yeah, it's like Smiley's People meets Upstairs Downstairs meets Who Pays The Ferryman meets Blake's Seven.
    rolleyes

(Not a fan of Doctor Who indeed. angry
    I was gonna say "exterminate", but you probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It is!? Why didn't you say before!?

Greatest Hits Spice Girls

dizzy

I don't believe you! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

Not being a fan of Doc Who (I thought I'd let you know that, that I'm not a fan of Doctor Who. And one more time; I'm not a fan of Doctor Who), I've never heard Gold's music. What does it sounds like? Typical British TV music or something more Hollywood?

It's exceptional! You'd be in for a helluva surprise if yo heard it.

I don't have a problem with you not being a Doc Who fan, each to they're own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    a Doc Who fan

There's only ONE Doc, and that's Doc Ock. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like Doc Ock's theme, does that count for anything?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    EX
    TER
    MI
    NATE
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll, er, take that as a no.

Though my interest in Gold's music has finally been peaked, even though I've heard people mention it for a fair while now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Your local Old Fuzzyduddy.

shocked

biggrin

OK, you're back in my good books again.

NP: The Italian Job - Quincy Jones
    Funky, funky, funky stuff!
    Yeah!
    punk