• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    Miya wrote
    NP: Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

wow. Very moving.

I couldn't agree more. This score has a very special place in my heart. I first saw the (fantastic) movie shortly after my grandmother's death so the score always reminds me of that period in my life. It got me through some upsetting times. Awesome stuff.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    a Doc Who fan

There's only ONE Doc, and that's Doc Ock. cool

I've been chastised! slant
    Doctor!....I meant Doctor!! rolleyes smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Your local Old Fuzzyduddy.

shocked

biggrin

OK, you're back in my good books again.

NP: The Italian Job - Quincy Jones
    Funky, funky, funky stuff!
    Yeah!
    punk

Top stuff! punk cool

I was going to say this is far better than Powell's score but that's unfair, I prefer it! Powell's score is very enjoyable and is written for a film that is very loosely based on the original.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PETULIA - John Barry

Perfect late night listen cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    NP: Journey to the Center of the Earth - Andrew Lockington
    Has anyone else even heard this whole score? It's fabulous! It's pretty much the exact opposite of Iron Man in terms of summer blockbuster scores, and in its 1:07 running time there are only about 7 minutes of anything Zimmer-influenced. The rest is pure orchestral delight, much of it thrilling action music. Even my mother, who rarely says anything about film scores, commented on how good the music was in the middle of watching the film. And given that the film is barely 1:30 long, this release is practically the complete score.

*end sales pitch*
    no i am not being paid to promote this score. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Mummy (Goldsmith)

I have a great battle between What score I like more : the mummy - 13 warrior - First Knight.

The mummy contains amazing moments : camel Race, The Caravan, Tuareg attack or The Sand Volcano; But I find some music a little bit noisy and annoying. And I hardly can listen it.

But when I like it...I LOVE IT! This final minutes with the love-arabic theme in "sand volcano" are pure goldsmith magic!
  1. James Horner - To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday

A piano/synth/oboe/harp led score with orchestral tracks on the beginning in the end. These boast a French horn solo, which kinda spoils the mood at times.

Generally a rather small and, I think, pretty heartfelt work with some impressionistic inspirations (notably Satie in the main theme). The minor-key theme for Gillian is also of note.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday

A piano/synth/oboe/harp led score with orchestral tracks on the beginning in the end. These boast a French horn solo, which kinda spoils the mood at times.

Generally a rather small and, I think, pretty heartfelt work with some impressionistic inspirations (notably Satie in the main theme). The minor-key theme for Gillian is also of note.

I think it's a Horner hidden gem. And those French Horn solos you talk about are my favorite bits of the score. A wonderful album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MEDICINE MAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Evocotive music perfect for anther fabulously hot sunny day. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    NP:Masters Of The Universe (Deluxe) - Bill Conti

Loud, bombastic, rich fun!

I know some people loath this score but it was one of the biggest around back in 1987.

I even love Conti's Ben-Hur (Christ theme) rip which he beefs up with rich orchestrations.

punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    NP: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - Randy Edelman

Ummmm.... well... I'm not really sure what to make of this. I'm sure that Edelman tried to make this score sound as big as possible but the trademark Edelman-taking-a-massive-orchestra-and-making-it-sound-like-a-cheap-synthesizer and the TERRIBLE mix has this score sounding like it comes from a dirt cheap TV show instead of a multi-million dollar summer blockbuster that should have a score that sounds like THE MUMMY, THE MUMMY RETURNS and THE SCORPION KING. What we get is a below average score that sounds like something spit out of my 2 year old son's 13 key $8 keyboard.

The only real stand out cues are the first two but even the "heroic" main theme is thin and wimpy. But I do like the French Horn call at the end of "Silently Yearning For Centuries." I'm itching to hear Debney's contributions to see if he stuck with the Edelman formula or really pumped this score up with a sizable orchestra, thick and colourful orchestrations and a far better mix.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Imagine Debney's LAIR on the new Mummy movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Erik Woods wrote

Ummmm.... well... I'm not really sure what to make of this. I'm sure that Edelman tried to make this score sound as big as possible but the trademark Edelman-taking-a-massive-orchestra-and-making-it-sound-like-a-cheap-synthesizer and the TERRIBLE mix has this score sounding like it comes from a dirt cheap TV show instead of a multi-million dollar summer blockbuster that should have a score that sounds like THE MUMMY, THE MUMMY RETURNS and THE SCORPION KING. What we get is a below average score that sounds like something spit out of my 2 year old son's 13 key $8 keyboard.

The only real stand out cues are the first two but even the "heroic" main theme is thin and wimpy. But I do like the French Horn call at the end of "Silently Yearning For Centuries." I'm itching to hear Debney's contributions to see if he stuck with the Edelman formula or really pumped this score up with a sizable orchestra, thick and colourful orchestrations and a far better mix.

-Erik-

Reports say he did both at once - stuck to Edelman's themes and made it more complex. Could somebody elaborate?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Finally, Someone with brain beer
  3. NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

Now this one needs no mini-review. At all! Maybe the most recognizable and most well known soundtrack of all time stands very high on my list of favorites. John Williams struck my film music loving brain senseless with this one, but it was not until years later after seeing the movie in 1982 (and being terrified by it, I kid you not!!!!) that the score became such a wonderful piece of art that effortlessly transports me back to my childhood. Even the slower more quiet tracks create a loveable atmosphere. And what is there to be said of the finale? Really, it's not something you simply listen to, it's something you feel deep inside, it's an experience that is uplifting and emotional it gets me by the throat every time.

My rating: punk punk punk punk punk

Like it could've been anything less than that! smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Imagine Debney's LAIR on the new Mummy movie.

Oh baby! Actually, portions of The Scorpion King are in Lair. biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    WALL•E Thomas Newman

Saw the film, loved it. Now I love the score even more.

Strange that the majority of my favourite scores from this year are for animated films; Horton, Kung Fu Panda and WALL•E. (Most of which are Powell, who is my top composer of this year... I think.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    WALL•E Thomas Newman

Strange that the majority of my favourite scores from this year are for animated films; Horton, Kung Fu Panda and WALL•E. (Most of which are Powell, who is my top composer of this year... I think.)

Quite frankly, when I think about what my favourite score of the year is so far, it always comes out as Horton. wink

DreamTheater wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

...not until years later after seeing the movie in 1982 (and being terrified by it, I kid you not!!!

Don't worry, it used to scare the beceilingcat out of me too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    WALL•E Thomas Newman

Quite frankly, when I think about what my favourite score of the year is so far, it always comes out as Horton. wink

shocked

This is going to take a little while to sink in you realize?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

...not until years later after seeing the movie in 1982 (and being terrified by it, I kid you not!!!

Good old Spielberg, he's not afraid of scaring kids (if you'll excuse the pun). And that's part of the reason the film works so well for kids, I think kids like to be scared even if they don't know it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Good old Spielberg, he's not afraid of scaring kids (if you'll excuse the pun). And that's part of the reason the film works so well for kids, I think kids like to be scared even if they don't know it.

I'm not sure I enjoyed being scared, especially considering it wasn't trying to be scary! cry
  4. Martijn wrote
    Doctor Who (July 27th Proms Concert)

Performances lack some "oomph", but damn, Gold's compositions remain bloody fabulous.
    It probably was more fun to attend then to revisit pure auditorily (references are made to Sontarans dancing merrily on stage with Cybermen, so that should have been an...interesting sight...), but it's a well-balanced concert, with some interesting orchestration.
    I do prefer the proper soundtrack CDs overall, though, for their dynamics and dramatic range.

I can't wait for a release of season four's soundtrack... if any such release is forthcoming.

NP: Doctor Who - Murray Gold

I had been listening to Christopher Young's The Fly II (a typical Young score that suffers from being compared with Shore's The Fly) until I read Martijn's comments on the recent BBC Prom featuring Gold's music.

Gold's music amounted to ~45 minutes of the concert and it's good to hear it separated from the classical pieces and the linking dialogue. The concert itself seemed to be a bit quiet but after raising the volume a couple of notches some of the action stuff plays really well.

I'm also looking forward to hearing what will be on the next CD (I'm sure that there will be one). It's good to hear some additional Dalek music - particularly that associated with Davros (some really nasty choral stuff). And the choral rendition of "The Doctor's Theme" (not to be confused with the main theme from the show) are really very powerful. There's one particular piece where there's a repeated choral motif with a countermelody played on brass (just before we hear "The Song For Freedom") that I definitely want to hear on CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Peter Pan - James Newton Howard

I've put this on because my sister loves it, which is absolutely fine by me!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Forbidden Kingdom David Buckley

This score from protégé of Harry Gregson-Williams is quite a fun one - and dare I say it better than the vast majority of HGW scores. Not original, but very stylish and enjoyable. Much like Kung Fu Panda, but with less of a Powellish feel to it. (So not as good!)

The album could do with some trimming as some of the cues do slip into rather generic scoring, but among them there are some genuinely exciting pieces.

A nice surprise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Not a patch on the original but still heaps better than most of todays fantasy scores.
  5. Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm not sure I enjoyed being scared, especially considering it wasn't trying to be scary! cry

Yes that's right, for a family film that everyone from 8-88 years could see the sole image of that little creepy guy kept haunting me in my nightmares. That wasn't the point of the film I guess.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The Lost World - Jurassic Park | John Williams

The second half of "The Trek" is SO good!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Good god... NP The Dark Knight - Why So Serious with the headphones... dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregje wrote
    Good god... NP The Dark Knight - Why So Serious with the headphones... dizzy

I don't know what's so appealing about this score...technically it's rubbish...but I love it! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, I'm gonna find out soon. First listen!