• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Well yeah, but since Erik is the host and producer of a little radio show called Cinematic Sound it's not surprising he does have it! wink

Good point... biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    Timeline Jerry Goldsmith

One of Jerry's last scores, and a bloody excellent one at that. Goldsmith's knack for writing powerful, testosterone-filled music is on full show here, and it makes for a very entertaining 48 minutes!

A sadly underrated (and by that I mean rarely talked about on this forum wink) score.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Lion King (21 track boot) - Hans Zimmer

Darn this mono sound!!! It gets on my nerves that so many excellent tracks have to be mono, and the quality of those after that is below average. This gem is crying for an official release!!!! crazy cry

Disney is crazy for not releasing this in its entirety, and Hans Zimmer is just as crazy for supposedly saying he put all that he wanted released on the CD.

NP: The Mummy Tomb of the Dragon Emperor by Randy Edelman

I like the score. It won't go down in history for being amazing music, but I still think it has its moments. There was some music in the movie that I liked in one of the action scenes near the end, but I guess it was Debney's music because it isn't on this CD. I don't think the tracks are in chronological order. It seems very mixed up, but I guess it is to make a better listening experience so I won't complain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    Hans Zimmer is just as crazy for supposedly saying he put all that he wanted released on the CD.

Yeah!! tongue

NP: Forbidden Kingdom - David Buckley

I'm liking this quite a lot. Not an excellent score but I find the action cues very enjoyable and the swashbuckling type music is very entertaining IMO. A nice experience!! biggrin
  1. NP: Couers aka Private Fears in Public Places (Mark Snow)

To me, this is a very simple, but satisfying score. Anchored by a very strong main theme from Snow. I scoffed last year on hearing that Alan Renais, who had worked with Miklos Rozsa and Delerue, was collaborating with Snow, but I can't argue with results.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "Closing Of The Year" from Toys - Trevor Horn & Hans Zimmer

I know it's toooooo early for this song, but I love it so much! And it's nice to hear wintery songs on these hot humid days...

christmas_drunk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Hans Zimmer is just as crazy for supposedly saying he put all that he wanted released on the CD.

Yeah!! tongue

In FSM interview he said "I got the orchestration wrong in a few places"... maybe he wanted to hide them? cheat tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Orchestration-wise, yes, Hans made a lot of mistakes here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Forbidden Kingdom - David Buckley

I'm liking this quite a lot. Not an excellent score but I find the action cues very enjoyable and the swashbuckling type music is very entertaining IMO. A nice experience!! biggrin

Agree; a good score for a very entertaining movie. The main theme is really addictive, and the action music, although generic, is pretty interesting. I like the more romantic / dramatic stuff though.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:AVP requiem

THe first 5 tracks are pure dynamite.

I love Goldsmith and Horner homenages
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

Good score, but the OST album is way too short! sad

Favorite tracks:

1. Anything Goes
    2. Fast Streets Of Shanghai
    4. Short Round's Theme
    7. The Temple Of Doom
    9. Slave Children's Crusade
    11. Finale And End Credits
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote

Correction. BRILLIANT SCORE!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Panthera wrote

Yeah!! tongue

In FSM interview he said "I got the orchestration wrong in a few places"... maybe he wanted to hide them? cheat tongue

Yes but that doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of well composed and orchestrated sections missing... tongue

NP: Lord of The Rings - The Return of the King (Complete Recordings) - Howard Shore

Addicted! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

wink

-Erik-

Maybe... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

wink

-Erik-

Maybe... biggrin

No may be's about it!

A FIVE star score on a FOUR star album, surely this'll get the expanded treatment one day!? slant

NP : THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION - Thomas Newman

Nothing less than punk punk punk punk punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. 's alright.

wink

NP: The Potato Factory - Carl Vine
    What a bloody magnificent theme! Epic and dramatic and seemingly rather overblown for the subject of the film (which, incidentally, Ive never seen, so I can't really know for sure), and a beautful, very chamber music / Golden Age sensibility of scoring.
    Many thanks to Franzie for introducing me to this composer!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

wink

-Erik-

Maybe... biggrin

No may be's about it!

A FIVE star score on a FOUR star album, surely this'll get the expanded treatment one day!? slant

I certainly hope so! The themes are great! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christ, talk about underrating the classics! shocked

Still, if you're relatively new to film music, then some of the 'classics' aren't necessarily the best place to start. But I think once you've been a film music fan, or at least been part of a film music group like this one for a few years, general consensuses are created. Hence, Temple Of Doom IS a classic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote

biggrin

Steven wrote
    Hence, Temple Of Doom IS a classic!

I never said it wasn't a classic, but I don't think it's my favorite of the Indiana Jones scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

Steven wrote
    Hence, Temple Of Doom IS a classic!

I never said it wasn't a classic, but I don't think it's my favorite of the Indiana Jones scores.

It's not my favorite either but I still think it's a 5 star score. IMHO, it's the second best score ever composed... next to Raiders. Yes, I'm a Indy homer but my God those two scores are hard to beat!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's fair enough, it's a very old-school style Williams score which isn't for everyone. But the themes are more accessible for modern ears, especially in their concert forms.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF ROBINSON CRUSOE - Robert Mellin & Gian Piero Reverbieri

For anyone British and over a certain age ( 40+ ) this is a joyous trip down memory lane of school holidays TV.

The themes and melodies contained in this score are still a joy to this very day and a few people on this board may be familiar with a few tracks from this because I included them on a TV compilation CDR I did some years ago.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: P.S. I Love You - John Powell

A very pretty and touching little score. This is definitely a grower.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    All this Temple of Doom talk got me to listening to my DVD rear channel extraction of the score. While some sound effects do interfere with the music there are a pile of previously unreleased cues that are pretty much left alone in the rear channels.

Stuff like the absolutely brilliant "The Bridge" cue which is all percussion just before Indy cuts the ropes. I listened to this cue by itself then I threw in the DVD and watched the scene. Easily one of the most suspenseful cues I've heard from the pen of Williams.

And what about all the ridiculously difficult action music that follows. While listening to the complete score from start to finish some listeners will be absolutely exhausted but I think it's easily one of John Williams most rewarding scores. It showcases Williams brilliant ability to write stunning themes with brilliant orchestrations... he does it like no other. And the numerous sync points Williams has to hit during the action scenes are mind blowing. The entire "Escape from the Temple" is one sync point after another with four or five themes coming in a out all the while still sounding musical. And while some composers would dumb things down for such crazy action sequences Williams keeps the level of brilliance at unmeasurable heights.

Williams also showcases his wonderful choral writing in such cues as "Stealing the Stones" where he channels the great Miklos Rozsa and creates a spine tingling cue that is one of my most requested unreleased pieces of Williams music. I hope one say I can hear this one with a proper stereo mix.

And of course now adays composers just phone in the end credits or have their music editor edit something together for them. Back in the day Williams was one of the best at creating scintillating end credit cues that perfectly blended all the major themes into one cohesive stand alone piece of music. Williams' Temple of Doom end credits go down as one of the all time best. The counterpoint between Indy's theme and Shorty's theme is simply superb.

Again, I think Temple of Doom is one of the all time best scores. Top 3 for sure!

-Erik-

PS - I think Steven or Bregje wrote that this is the only film in the Indy trilogy (see that I didn't mention KOTCS there) where Indy is at his most heroic. I tend to agree. His initial reason for going to Pankot was Forture and Glory but then turned into a rescue mission when he heard the screams of the slave children while stealing the stones. One of the last shots in the film is of Indy walking up to the village, holding Willie in one arm and Shorty in the other (with the Raiders March playing underneath) while all the saved salve children rush right by them to there waiting parents. That just sums it up right there. I love the tracking shot of the parents running to there kids with arms wide open. Indy saved the day! I LOVE IT!!! I'd have to say that Temple of Doom has the most satisfying conclusions of any of the Indy films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Excellent points why Williams is one of the best composers for film and why Temple Of Doom is one of his best scores. It's not to everyone's liking of course, but the level of artistry and complexity involved is indisputable, it is literally true to say that Temple of Doom is a better score than Batman Begins... (ooh, controversial!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Williams' Temple of Doom end credits go down as one of the all time best. The counterpoint between Indy's theme and Shorty's theme is simply superb.

Gotta agree with you, there! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Masters of the Universe - Bill Conti

I have the original Edel expanded edition of this score. Boy, this is one derivative score. Lifts from Holst, Superman, Star Wars, Ben-Hur and others... but you know what... it's so much fun! Not one of Mike Ross' best recordings. My favorite track is the quick action cue "Quiet Escape." it has been renamed "Battle in Greyskull" on the complete release. I love it when one of the violins comes in a bar too early at the 1:45 mark. biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Not one of Mike Ross' best recordings.

Actually that may well be the primary reason why I've never been able to get into this score. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Not one of Mike Ross' best recordings.

Actually that may well be the primary reason why I've never been able to get into this score. sad

It's a bit muddy.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lost World Jurassic Park

Listen to tracks like 'Rescuing Sarah' and 'The Raptors Appear', that's jazz action scoring! It's great! biggrin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy <- my rating