• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    The Lost World Jurassic Park

Listen to tracks like 'Rescuing Sarah' and 'The Raptors Appear', that's jazz action scoring! It's great! biggrin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy <- my rating

Indeed, and after just watching the movie, I want a complete!

I must say though, this is one score that works a whole lot better on CD than in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Lost World Jurassic Park

Listen to tracks like 'Rescuing Sarah' and 'The Raptors Appear', that's jazz action scoring! It's great! biggrin

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy <- my rating

Indeed, and after just watching the movie, I want a complete!

I must say though, this is one score that works a whole lot better on CD than in the movie.

No kidding. Spielberg hacked the score to shit in the film. However, the complete "Rescuing Sarah" cue is amazing stuff!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I was playing Chris Tilton's wonderful score to La Lune You can download the entire score FOR FREE at Chris' web site.

It's a small score but perfectly formed. Beautiful music indeed - and free!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Steven wrote
    The Final Conflict Jerry Goldsmith

Few things in the universe beat the awesomeness of this score.

Completely agree, Steven. For me, this is one of the scores that made an instant impression - and was one of the scores that had the distinction of having the music recorded off the TV with one of these old portable tape recorders.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF ROBINSON CRUSOE - Robert Mellin & Gian Piero Reverbieri

For anyone British and over a certain age ( 40+ ) this is a joyous trip down memory lane of school holidays TV.

Ah, those long (hot?) summers with this TV programme being on early every morning. It's a great CD indeed.
  4. NP: Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Danny Elfman

Giving this CD another spin at the moment. For me there's not much that stands out in this one. Some of the cues are actually quite annoying - the theremin (effects) of "Teleplasty" for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Masters of the Universe - Bill Conti

I have the original Edel expanded edition of this score. Boy, this is one derivative score. Lifts from Holst, Superman, Star Wars, Ben-Hur and others... but you know what... it's so much fun! Not one of Mike Ross' best recordings. My favorite track is the quick action cue "Quiet Escape." it has been renamed "Battle in Greyskull" on the complete release. I love it when one of the violins comes in a bar too early at the 1:45 mark. biggrin

-Erik-

This truly is a fun score!
    The 2 disc release is great but they should have kept the full score on disc 1 rather than splitting it!
    And yes, there's the not-so-great recording aspect.
    And a couple of cues where the brass are way off the mark.
    And it's a derivative score using rips from many sources.
    But I love it! Maybe in a bittersweet kind of way. But love it nonetheless! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Martijn wrote

NP: The Potato Factory - Carl Vine
    What a bloody magnificent theme! Epic and dramatic and seemingly rather overblown for the subject of the film (which, incidentally, Ive never seen, so I can't really know for sure), and a beautful, very chamber music / Golden Age sensibility of scoring.
    Many thanks to Franzie for introducing me to this composer!

A great score indeed!
    Have you heard Vine's score for The Battlers? Great themes there too!
    And his symphonic work is brilliant!

Carl Vine and Christopher Gordon write music that really fire my rockets!
    They always nail it!

Oh, and I'll include Nigel Westlake too! (seem to have an Aussie theme happening here!)
  5. Carl Vine's The Potato Factory is certainly a little-known gem. But it's difficult here on the other side of the world to get a hold of any of his stuff.

Are The Battlers and Bedevil the only other titles available on CD?
  6. NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer / James Newton Howard

Listening to the CD as it was released most of the cues are made up of great passages of music buried in less than interesting drones. A CD that benefits from some series DIY editing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE ADVENTURES OF ROBINSON CRUSOE - Robert Mellin & Gian Piero Reverbieri

For anyone British and over a certain age ( 40+ ) this is a joyous trip down memory lane of school holidays TV.

Ah, those long (hot?) summers with this TV programme being on early every morning. It's a great CD indeed.

beer

NP : nothing

'night y'all wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TARO IWASHIRO - Red Cliff (2008)

Not as good as i thought it would be. Large-scale and epic but repetitive and on auto-pilot. This man has done so much better.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TUOMAS KANTELINEN - mongol

First listen. I am the only one who almost rolls on floor out of laughing with that throat singing? biggrin shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, it reminds me of Anakin's seduction... shocked

Seriously though, I've generally liked throat singing ever since I heard Ry Cooder employ it on his underestimated score for Geronimo.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, that happens when you throat-sing for too long.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, it reminds me of Anakin's seduction... shocked

He tried to seduce you by throat singing!? That guy's got more issues than I originally thought. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    TUOMAS KANTELINEN - mongol

First listen. I am the only one who almost rolls on floor out of laughing with that throat singing? biggrin shame

I think it's a fantastic device and perfectly utilized.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    This morning I opened up with Christopher Gordon's extraordinary music from The Rugby World Cup. Gordon has a ridiculous amount of talent and a wonderful gift for melody. He is shooting up my list of favorite composers every time I spin one of his albums. I can't wait to hear more from the man.

I also listened to a few cues from Vangelis' Chariots of Fire I was having a discussion with a fellow film music fan about Oscar blunders and one that has always bugged me was Chariots of Fire beating out Raiders of the Lost Ark... both film and score. Now, the Chariots theme is excellent... one of the greatest ever composed... so I was skimming through the rest of the score to hear anything else that might showcase why the entire score was given an Academy Award over the greatest score ever composed. Well, there is one other nice theme "Five Circles" but the rest just doesn't mesh with me. Vangelis' sound to me has rarely worked... but when it does, it does so magnificently. Example?

NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

Now, I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how this kind of score works in a period piece but that "Conquest of Paradise" theme is brilliant. Thank God Vangelis recorded the choir with a real chorus. The rest plays beauitfully. One of the best produced albums I've ever heard.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    This morning I opened up with Christopher Gordon's extraordinary music from The Rugby World Cup. Gordon has a ridiculous amount of talent and a wonderful gift for melody. He is shooting up my list of favorite composers every time I spin one of his albums. I can't wait to hear more from the man.

-Erik-

Gordon has raced to top end of my favorites list in a very short time!
    And yes, his music for The Rugby World Cup is just brilliant!

Speaking of Christopher Gordon, I just finished watching On The Beach and his score fits like a glove! Very good movie too! Better than I expected. Though I thought the score was mixed a little on the quiet side in some scenes. But great stuff all round!

It's been a decade but I'm about to watch Moby Dick again just to hear the score in film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

Now, I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how this kind of score works in a period piece but that "Conquest of Paradise" theme is brilliant. Thank God Vangelis recorded the choir with a real chorus. The rest plays beauitfully. One of the best produced albums I've ever heard.

-Erik-

I've seen it numerous times mate as it was an early favorite of mine (a film i recommend) and i can assure you that the score (All of it) works wonders in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Passion Of The Christ - John Debney

This is a work to be proud of. Just magnificent IMO. A score which continues to evoke the dark, haunting images of its subject matter, even when separated from the film. Fantastic.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Passion Of The Christ - John Debney

This is a work to be proud of. Just magnificent IMO. A score which continues to evoke the dark, haunting images of its subject matter, even when separated from the film. Fantastic.

cool

Couldn't agree more. I was listening to PASSION OF THE CHRIST, the score earlier today and i was thinking how deep, profound and passionate (no pun) this work is, i truly believe it is Debney's finest hour (along with the symphony), one which will most likely never surpass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008 edited
    Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Gordon has raced to top end of my favorites list in a very short time!
    And yes, his music for The Rugby World Cup is just brilliant!

Speaking of Christopher Gordon, I just finished watching On The Beach and his score fits like a glove! Very good movie too! Better than I expected. Though I thought the score was mixed a little on the quiet side in some scenes. But great stuff all round!

It's been a decade but I'm about to watch Moby Dick again just to hear the score in film.

Here's hoping the guy gets more notice within Hollywood, where his talents are sorely needed among many other underused composers.

I pray to Ceiling Cat for many things, and one of them is that Gordon scores more films!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christopher Columbus: The Discovery Cliff Eidelman

Bloody fantastic score, one that deserves a better performance from a better orchestra. The counter melody from the choir in 'Come O Come Emanuel' works so well, really powerful stuff. Such a shame listening to a score like this that Eidelman isn't a more prominent composer today. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christopher Columbus: The Discovery Cliff Eidelman

Bloody fantastic score, one that deserves a better performance from a better orchestra. The counter melody from the choir in 'Come O Come Emanuel' works so well, really powerful stuff. Such a shame listening to a score like this that Eidelman isn't a more prominent composer today. sad

But he IS! He bloody scored SISTERHOOD OF THE vomit PANTS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CALL OF THE CHAMPIONS - John Williams

In the mood for this after watching the Olympic ceremony.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Me too! biggrin

I've been playing various Olympic and Commonwealth music by Williams, Poledouris and Gordon today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CALL OF THE CHAMPIONS - John Williams

In the mood for this after watching the Olympic ceremony.

Great piece! punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Summon The Heroes John Williams, Carl Orff, Leo Arnaud, Mikis Theodorakis, Michael Torke, Leonard Bernstein, Dmitri Shostakovich, Vangelis, Miklos Rosza and Josef Suk

punk