• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

I pray to Ceiling Cat for many things, and one of them is that Gordon scores more films!

There are definitely two coming, one of them just around the corner.

Sweet Jebus... and they are?? shocked

DAYBREAKERS is very close, and I've heard the album. It mixes the horror of SALEM'S LOT with the drama of ON THE BEACH, and there's several action tracks, a couple of which draw on the percussion section of the RUGBY WORLD CUP music (different notes and rhythms, but very recognizable nonetheless). The highlights for me are a long disturbing choral cue which has a lot of interesting electronics towards the end, the cue 'Into the Sun' (a six minute wrenching orchestra and choir work), the action cue 'Resurrection' (which has John Adams style orchestra over percussion) and the serene, nine minute end credit cue. The eerie choral material reminds me a bit of that Ligeti track that appears during the moon rocket bus scene in 2001 ('Lux Aeterna'), but is a bit more overtly unsettling.

The other one is MAO'S LAST DANCER, which is about to start editing and will come out next year. There are several source cues he's written for the film, and one of them, 'Free Dance', was performed two weeks ago by a piano-and-percussion ensemble. It's reminiscent of Bernstein's Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, which ironically also played that evening by the same ensemble. (Apparently Bartok is another influence, but I don't know Bartok well enough to pick it up.) The scoring will happen early next year, I think. This one's a drama about a young Chinese farm boy who rises to the top of international ballet.

Possibly there is also a third one coming, but I don't know anything about that one except that it isn't in the bag yet.

NP: Private fears in public places (Mark Snow)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    NP:Alien VS Predator : requiem

Pure dynamite!!!

(I have enought with the first 6 tracks though, I love the Horner and Silvestris homenages)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

I pray to Ceiling Cat for many things, and one of them is that Gordon scores more films!

DAYBREAKERS is very close, and I've heard the album. It mixes the horror of SALEM'S LOT with the drama of ON THE BEACH, and there's several action tracks, a couple of which draw on the percussion section of the RUGBY WORLD CUP music (different notes and rhythms, but very recognizable nonetheless). The highlights for me are a long disturbing choral cue which has a lot of interesting electronics towards the end, the cue 'Into the Sun' (a six minute wrenching orchestra and choir work), the action cue 'Resurrection' (which has John Adams style orchestra over percussion) and the serene, nine minute end credit cue. The eerie choral material reminds me a bit of that Ligeti track that appears during the moon rocket bus scene in 2001 ('Lux Aeterna'), but is a bit more overtly unsettling.

The other one is MAO'S LAST DANCER, which is about to start editing and will come out next year. There are several source cues he's written for the film, and one of them, 'Free Dance', was performed two weeks ago by a piano-and-percussion ensemble. It's reminiscent of Bernstein's Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, which ironically also played that evening by the same ensemble. (Apparently Bartok is another influence, but I don't know Bartok well enough to pick it up.) The scoring will happen early next year, I think. This one's a drama about a young Chinese farm boy who rises to the top of international ballet.

Possibly there is also a third one coming, but I don't know anything about that one except that it isn't in the bag yet.

You heard the album? Does that mean you don't have it? Regardless, this is excellent news. My mouth is actually starting to foam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

You heard the album? Does that mean you don't have it? Regardless, this is excellent news. My mouth is actually starting to foam.

Yeah?!! Well I've already got the shakes. And I'm now pacing repetedly from one side of the room to the next in restless anticipation!!!

But seriously, I can't wait! lick
  2. I don't have the album. But I was given a chance to listen to the 67 minute piece, which was a very interesting experience. (Sitting with a composer, listening to their music, in the room it was composed in.)
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    i responded ot the wrong thread.

Robert Folk's Lawnmower Man 2
  3. NP: Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatre (Philippe Chany)

Nice comedy-fantasy score. I wouldn't be surprised if Mummy was part of the temp track at times, but if you're going to emulate anyone, emulate the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ben Hur 2 CD - Miklos Rozsa

Amazing!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis
    One of the best produced albums I've ever heard.

I absolutely agree. It gets a regular spin. The movie, BTW, is great as well.

Nautilus wrote
    "Pinta , nina..."( a mind blowing and relaxing theme, with this loooooooong variations of the theme and the techno touch ) reminds me " A Dark Knight" (well, "A Dark Knight" track Reminds me to it).

VERY interesting observation. At least regarding to the first half of it, I would agree that A Dark Knight has a similar feeling of meditation as Pinta, Nina, Santa Maria. That track from 1492 must be the most beautiful thing someone can possibly write about a journey across the oceans, unbelievably atmospheric. A Dark Knight is the proper equilvalent for a journey through a Bat Man´s mind. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Gaah, who broke the page?

(Atham) wink

Assistance please!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Dark Knight

Im addicted to it (How you notice). The fact the movie is being a real MEGA SUPER SMASH HIT is one of the reasons too...

I find Joker's motif perfect. This is what a paranoic and sadic mind has in his interior.

About Batman's themes and motifs, How I said, i really thing this kind of String progressions are perfect. They are muscular, dark and the strings makes a dramatic effect for a traumatized character.

My only complainment is, For more I love the noble theme used as a heroic theme, I want the 2 big themes from the first movie come back and expanded! they are memorable and powerful!!! (In this movie only JNH used it , and im a very , very subtle way).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This thread...WTF!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    What's wrong with this thread?! It's completely messed up!! shocked dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wish the Architect would hurry up and fix this glitch in the matrix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    I wish the Architect would hurry up and fix this glitch in the matrix.

LOL yeah! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Who fucked this thread!? angry slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. What the hell happened here ? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ATHAM - FIX THE QUOTE TAGS IN YOUR POST!!!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    'tis done.

Martijn
    in his official capacity as Celing cat's nominated representative.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    *"phew"* biggrin

NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

A film music masterclass! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Fixed! biggrin punk

NP: The 7th Voyage of Sinbad - Bernard Hermann

What a score!! Terrific!!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Earlier...

The Lost World - John Williams

Love this one. Fabulous main theme, gripping action scoring, it's a great disc.

Timeline - Jerry Goldsmith

Another fine album, with some wonderful action music. It was about the only good thing the film had going for it, so its rejection is bizarre (and while the replacement score is quite good, it's essentially the same approach, only worse, which is pretty unusual for a replacement score which often take a different approach).

Iron Will - Joel McNeely

A brilliant, brief score whose Raiders of the Lost Ark quote is shameless, but the rest is top-drawer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Timeline - Jerry Goldsmith

Another fine album, with some wonderful action music. It was about the only good thing the film had going for it, so its rejection is bizarre (and while the replacement score is quite good, it's essentially the same approach, only worse, which is pretty unusual for a replacement score which often take a different approach).

Man I love that score. Granted, I'm a Goldsmith nut, but I think this was a genuinely impressive score to go out on. Nobody makes scores like Goldsmith!

punk

Iron Will - Joel McNeely

A brilliant, brief score whose Raiders of the Lost Ark quote is shameless, but the rest is top-drawer.

I think it's a very good score too.... but I dunno, something about is missing for me. Some sort of depth, there's something it doesn't have or at least that I'm not hearing, something that I'm missing about this score? Perhaps it's generally McNeely's style which doesn't always work for me, it can leave me a little cold at times. It's hard to explain since it's merely preference, but I know I'm going to get my head bitten off for saying this.

For a film about a wolf/husky, I'd take Horner's Balto any day. Now that score has depth!
  6. Journey to the Center of the Earth (Andrew Lockington)

Not bad score, and some really exciting moments, but too much to music to listen through
    Still fun score overall
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean - At World's End - Hans Zimmer

Literally GLUED to this since evening!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Private fears in public places (Mark Snow)

Michael, how's that?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TUOMAS KANTELINEN - Mongol

Really loud; Much better than what i remember it to be during the first 5 listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis
    One of the best produced albums I've ever heard.

I absolutely agree. It gets a regular spin. The movie, BTW, is great as well.

Nautilus wrote
    "Pinta , nina..."( a mind blowing and relaxing theme, with this loooooooong variations of the theme and the techno touch ) reminds me " A Dark Knight" (well, "A Dark Knight" track Reminds me to it).

VERY interesting observation. At least regarding to the first half of it, I would agree that A Dark Knight has a similar feeling of meditation as Pinta, Nina, Santa Maria. That track from 1492 must be the most beautiful thing someone can possibly write about a journey across the oceans, unbelievably atmospheric. A Dark Knight is the proper equilvalent for a journey through a Bat Man´s mind. wink

Glad you liked it Ralph, movie and score are fabulous and the score fits and elevates it very ably. Jordi, have you watched 1492?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    NP: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

Pretty generic. Not even good generic. Rather ordinary and nothing really standouts... except for the God awful rock and clichéd middle eastern music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner
    ...the God awful rock....

-Erik-

Yup...that lost me too. confused