• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (An Original Walt Disney Records Soundtrack)

One of my favorite recent soundtracks, though it does contain quite a bit of music from the first film's score. From what I've heard, David Arnold is set to compose the music for Narnia 3. I really can't wait to hear his rendition of Narnia, but Harry's scores will always hold a place in my heart.

Favorite (score) tracks:

1. Prince Caspian Flees
    5. Raid On the Castle
    6. Miraz Crowned
    10. Battle At Aslan's How
    12. The Door In the Air

Really! Despite all the criticism I love this score a lot. Eager to see what David Arnold comes up with for Dawn Treader! biggrin

NP: Batman - Danny Elfman

This remains a classic that cannot be easily equaled! punk
  1. HGW - MGS 4 : Guns Of The Patriots

I can't stop listening to Father & Son, a great theme used for an amazing final scene of the saga... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Alone In The Dark: Olivier Deriviere

A very fine game score featuring vocals by The Mystery Of Bulgarian Voices.

Deriviere shows much promise as a great new talent on the soundtrack front!

cool cool cool cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    HGW - MGS 4 : Guns Of The Patriots

I can't stop listening to Father & Son, a great theme used for an amazing final scene of the saga... punk

Indeed, i really love the dramatic material in this one; too bad the rest of the action underscore can't keep up in any aspect.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Secret of Sahara (Morricone)

Does anyone find Morricone's use of vocals a little bit over the top? and Sometimes, Even Annoying?

Here is not the case. This score is Superb!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    GET SMART - Trevor Rabin

Some of the rock stuff is ok, and the odd track sounds like it's ripped from National Treasure (can't go wrong there), but some of the synthy stuff is really, really bad. vomit / smile

yeap, This kind Of Texas Ranger- Titans-national Treasure sound is going too far in his style.

The worst part is that his synth samples sound exactly the same as what Media Ventures were churning out 10 years ago. Come on man, get with the times! biggrin tongue

Well, More than MV sound it is more Rabin's sound. This weird electronics elements, mixed with synthetic horns and stryngs ....I always found this sound a little bit, annoying. And then the electric guitars...I love electric guitars"! but Rabin can make me hate them!

I really enjoy some of Rabin's score : Armaggedon,Texas Rangers, American outlows and even Con Air. His recent scores goes to unpersonal pedantic music ( This Airplanes movie wich title I can't remember) from annoying mix of outdated styles (National Treasure series)

Probably his best score is Deep Blue Sea (And for extension Shrek biggrin ) , wich had the good way to go. sadly he didn't follow it.

IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nautilus wrote

Does anyone find Morricone's use of vocals a little bit over the top? and Sometimes, Even Annoying?

Hmm. I hven't heard much Morricone scores, but I never felt the vocals were over the top. But Secret of the Sahara is magnificent! That theme, THAT theme never will leave my head again.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Schindler's List - John Williams

S-I-M-P-L-Y G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S. P-E-R-I-O-D. cheesy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Schindler's List - John Williams

S-I-M-P-L-Y G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S. P-E-R-I-O-D. cheesy biggrin

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    GET SMART - Trevor Rabin

Some of the rock stuff is ok, and the odd track sounds like it's ripped from National Treasure (can't go wrong there), but some of the synthy stuff is really, really bad. vomit / smile

yeap, This kind Of Texas Ranger- Titans-national Treasure sound is going too far in his style.

The worst part is that his synth samples sound exactly the same as what Media Ventures were churning out 10 years ago. Come on man, get with the times! biggrin tongue

Well, More than MV sound it is more Rabin's sound. This weird electronics elements, mixed with synthetic horns and stryngs ....I always found this sound a little bit, annoying. And then the electric guitars...I love electric guitars"! but Rabin can make me hate them!

I really enjoy some of Rabin's score : Armaggedon,Texas Rangers, American outlows and even Con Air. His recent scores goes to unpersonal pedantic music ( This Airplanes movie wich title I can't remember) from annoying mix of outdated styles (National Treasure series)

Probably his best score is Deep Blue Sea (And for extension Shrek biggrin ) , wich had the good way to go. sadly he didn't follow it.

IMHO.

Rabin is a very weird case indeed; he can make you love his music but at the same time completely hate it; i don't know how he does it but it happens to me as well!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

His use of vocals have been OTT on many occasions but I've rarely found them annoying and the majority of the time have been used in the right context.

As for SECRET OF THE SAHARA, it's a fantastic score, I can't think of many scores today that come anywhere near close to matching this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - Harry Gregson Williams

It doesn't have enough depth, yes, but it is very enjoyable as a light listen. Personally I love HGW's themes, especially the Battle theme and "Only the Beginning of the Adventure" theme. And it's so frustrating they left out some really beautiful choral music from the battle scene!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - Harry Gregson Williams

It doesn't have enough depth, yes, but it is very enjoyable as a light listen. Personally I love HGW's themes, especially the Battle theme and "Only the Beginning of the Adventure" theme. And it's so frustrating they left out some really beautiful choral music from the battle scene!

I agree, the soundtrack is nothing outstanding, but still a good score. It doesn't really attack you with walls of sound like Eragon and The Lord of the Rings do, but its themes are still very good, especially the main Narnia theme (the battle/heroic theme), the Cair Paravel/coronation theme, Mr. Tumnus' theme, and the beautiful piano theme that is played as the children leave London in the beginning of the film. For those who've read the books, this score really brings back the old magic and feel of Narnia that you get when reading. I highly recommend the book series!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Marco Polo (Morricone)

Gorgeous! beer

A great background listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lord of The Rings - The Two Towers - Howard Shore

The best in the trilogy after RoTK. Amazing themes and chorals, a terrific work of art! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote

The best in the trilogy after RoTK. Amazing themes and chorals, a terrific work of art! punk

How you know im not a great fan of this trilogy, and probably the official realease of this score it's far better than the official realeases from the other two. But In his complete Form it is a really boring score. (IMHO).

If I have to choose one score from this trilogy, I choose ROTK complete wich in his 4 cd's is amazing!

NP:Marco Polo (Morricone)

WOW.Just WOw.

I never played the whole thing, now im in a little Morricone mood. And this score it's really this kind of epic but minimalistic sounding scores. A gorgeous theme, a really tender flute stuff, Roman fanfarres and Religious chants!

Morricone all Around here!

PS: from my travel to Rome, I love everything from Italy (well.....No his 80's disco music )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Eastern Promises - Howard Shore

The violin is just unearthly shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

Excellent score... and the violin was the perfect choice for "Tatiana."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

And so is the movie, very elegant and captivating. The music elevates it largely too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

And so is the movie, very elegant and captivating. The music elevates it largely too.

Ya... it was a good movie. A little short but tightly edited, well told and brilliantly acted.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote

Personally, I think The Two Towers may be my least favorite of the three. I think The Fellowship of the Ring's score and The Return of the King's score may be about equal, though The Two Towers is not far behind. I don't know, maybe my views will change later, as they sometimes do. I own the three regular soundtracks; I thought of getting the Complete Recordings versions, but they just cost way too much, and for now, I'm satisfied with the regular ones alone (though I did buy a single track off iTunes from the RotK Complete Recordings - The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, a must have track, with a beautiful Hardanger fiddle solo as Théoden and his Rohirrim charge against the orcs). I don't know what it is about The Two Towers' score, but I love FotR for all the dark choir and suspense filled throughout the whole score, and I love RotK for its emotional drive - not that The Two Towers isn't emotional, but it just doesn't grab me as much as the other two. I love most of the themes, like the Rohan theme, which is stunningly beautiful, save for the Treebeard/Ents theme, which I find to be pretty boring. It just sort of lumbers along, nothing exciting, nothing memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Personally, FoTR is my least favourite of the three tongue I just mean compared to the other two, I like it a lot on its own. Tracks like Prologue, Balin's Tomb, Khazad Dum and Parth Galen are nothing short of epic! biggrin But I HATE those squiggly violins in the Doors of Durin track, though they are fitting in the Shelob tracks in RoTK. I wish Shore had turned the former into a classic action piece!

And BTW, get the tracks Shieldmaiden Of Rohan and For Frodo from the Complete Recordings of RoTK too, the score is just not complete without those! biggrin

NP: The Great Raid - Trevor Rabin

One of my favourite Rabin scores, with a terrific Black Hawk Down style theme! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Personally, FoTR is my least favourite of the three tongue I just mean compared to the other two, I like it a lot on its own. Tracks like Prologue, Balin's Tomb, Khazad Dum and Parth Galen are nothing short of epic! biggrin But I HATE those squiggly violins in the Doors of Durin track, though they are fitting in the Shelob tracks in RoTK. I wish Shore had turned the former into a classic action piece!

As I have said, I do not own the Complete Recordings, but based alone on the track names, I think I have a pretty good idea of what parts in the music you're speaking of. Much of the music in FotR is very epic, as well as dark, compared to the others. The Nazgûl theme may be one of my favorite themes in FotR, an incredible piece for choir, repeated in full several times throughout the score. The same goes for the Mordor theme, first heard in full (on the regular soundtrack) in the track The Shadow Of The Past, when the film switches from the shot of the envelope containing the One Ring to the visually stunning shot of Barad-dûr. Really intense, really dark, really good. I love it. love biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    *****!!LoTR SPOILER ALERT!!*****

Actually my favourite Ring Theme performance in the whole trilogy is from the track Parth Galen in the FoTR Complete Recordings, it's performed so subtly and hauntingly that you can almost see Boromir's wild crave for the ring. It's the perfect example of telling the story with just music! Of course, Prologue and Foundations Of Stone from FoTR and TTT also have great ring theme performances. Prologue also has the terrific Nazgul theme and Fields of Pelennor from RoTK also, but my favourite reprises are those from Wraiths On Wings (TTT CR) and Shieldmaiden Of Rohan (RoTK CR).

Felt the desire yet? devil lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

As I have said, I do not own the Complete Recordings, but based alone on the track names, I think I have a pretty good idea of what parts in the music you're speaking of. Much of the music in FotR is very epic, as well as dark, compared to the others. The Nazgûl theme may be one of my favorite themes in FotR, an incredible piece for choir, repeated in full several times throughout the score. The same goes for the Mordor theme, first heard in full (on the regular soundtrack) in the track The Shadow Of The Past, when the film switches from the shot of the envelope containing the One Ring to the visually stunning shot of Barad-dûr. Really intense, really dark, really good. I love it. love biggrin

Shore is amazing. LOTR is amazing. It's all amazing. Actually of FOTR I love track 17: The breaking of the fellowship the best... but the rest are great. Really a moment in film score history!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    *****!!LoTR SPOILER ALERT!!*****

Actually my favourite Ring Theme performance in the whole trilogy is from the track Parth Galen in the FoTR Complete Recordings, it's performed so subtly and hauntingly that you can almost see Boromir's wild crave for the ring. It's the perfect example of telling the story with just music! Of course, Prologue and Foundations Of Stone from FoTR and TTT also have great ring theme performances. Prologue also has the terrific Nazgul theme and Fields of Pelennor from RoTK also, but my favourite reprises are those from Wraiths On Wings (TTT CR) and Shieldmaiden Of Rohan (RoTK CR).

Felt the desire yet? devil lol

LOL crazy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    bartley wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Shore is amazing. LOTR is amazing. It's all amazing. Actually of FOTR I love track 17: The breaking of the fellowship the best... but the rest are great. Really a moment in film score history!

Yeah, he did a great job. I'm not saying he didn't, but rather that there are a couple of scores I may like more than another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Oh goody!!!More Lord of the Rings's music funs among us!I'm so glad!it's very interesting to read what you are writing!I'm gathering my thoughts on the subject and I'll write down some things too!
    Jordi dear!Please don't say that The Two tomers Complete Recordings are boring...you hurt my feelings! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

100% agree!

Shore's work on the three 'Rings' films will rightly be considered classics of the 00's, in fact, these works would stand strong in any decade of film scoring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

100% agree!

Shore's work on the three 'Rings' films will rightly be considered classics of the 00's, in fact, these works would stand strong in any decade of film scoring.

And we've still got TWO Hobbit films to look forward to!! biggrin