• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean - Curse of The black Pearl - Klaus Badelt

Fun score for some light listening, despite bad sound editing stuff.

One of my least favourites, and one the worst MV scores IMO.

Sometimes i wonder how do we 2 even talk wink

Um, using... using words? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Kingdom Danny Elfman

I'm actually enjoying this one!? shocked

It's interesting, that's what I can say about it. Probably a load of random sound effects to most, and perhaps not everyone's idea of an enjoyable album, but it works very well in the film.

This is what I love about Danny Elfman, he continues to break the mold, he's not afraid to try new things. He's a little bit like Goldsmith in that sense... (don't kill me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wanted - Danny Elfman

Standing Operating Procedure reminded us how good he is, and this just reinforces it. When he finds the right project he's great, and this is it. Simply brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Wanted - Danny Elfman

Standing Operating Procedure reminded us how good he is, and this just reinforces it. When he finds the right project he's great, and this is it. Simply brilliant.

You like? I'm surprised. I like too. Surprised? No? Okay.
  1. Southall wrote
    Wanted - Danny Elfman

Yeah, amazing fun. And one of the best film songs in years.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    NP: Hable Con Ella - Alberto Iglesias

One of my favorite scores at the moment... the main theme is sweet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Shane D wrote

Yeap, that's pure gold. Melodic, sentimental, nostalgic and classy. Top work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Shane D wrote

Actually, one of things I like about that one is that it's melodic and romantic without being sentimental.

NP: The Escape Artist (Delerue)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    Well, depends on how you define 'sentimental'. One can be overblown and melodramatic about it - and i suspect that's what you have in mind, but one can also do it in a refined, delicate, discreet and indirect way, like Desplat and Iglesias for the subject matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    Christodoulides wrote
    Shane D wrote

It's so good hey.. All of those words describe it.. what i think I like about it is, that it does all the things that a lot of composers try but don't pull off as well by over playing ...For example the spanish guitar and hand claps are great in this score...not too subtle and authentic sounding....but when used by Hanz Zimmer in scores lie MI:2 it sounds like its making a constant cameo appearance...add on top of that Lisa Gerrard wailing and some guitars....hmm..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, you shouldn't puzzle yourself over it. There's a distinct difference in quality and refinery when it comes to use of orchestration and arrangements between several composers; some know where to use what, how to use it and in what quantities whilst Zimmer will 99% go for everything, everywhere, all at once.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, depends on how you define 'sentimental'. One can be overblown and melodramatic about it - and i suspect that's what you have in mind, but one can also do it in a refined, delicate, discreet and indirect way, like Desplat and Iglesias for the subject matter.

You're right, I think 'melodramatic and overblown' when I hear the word sentimental.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

I've got two rooms full of film music CDs, hundreds more in boxes in my garage, and not a single one of them is better than this. Only a handful of times has a perfect score graced a perfect film, and this is one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Opal Dream - Dario Marianelli
    Anyone heard this? Its nice.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Angel - Rombi
    I agree with Eric that this is one of the very best of 2007. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    Scribe wrote

I haven't heard it yet...Is it anything like 'Merry Christmas'..? (which is brilliant.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

Something I cannot abstain from no matter how much I try (even if just as an experiment cheesy ).

Favourite tracks of all time - The Once and Future King, The Elephant Graveyard, Kings of The Past, ...To Die For (film version), Hunting/Pinned Again/Reunion, Remember Who You Are, Simba Returns Home, King Of Pride Rock (film version)

And a shame that for now the crappy bootleg with terrible mono sound is all that's generally available. I hope that eventually as time passes it is considered a classic (Hans' only Oscar winner till date after all) and gets a proper release it deserves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Shane D wrote
    Scribe wrote

I haven't heard it yet...Is it anything like 'Merry Christmas'..? (which is brilliant.)

Even better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

I've got two rooms full of film music CDs, hundreds more in boxes in my garage, and not a single one of them is better than this. Only a handful of times has a perfect score graced a perfect film, and this is one.

Amen! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

Waiting for Mummy 3 till 29th July is getting unbearable (assuming Edelman has done something in the veins of Dragonheart wink ) so here's this terrific Silvestri action score to pass time meanwhile!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    while Zimmer will 99% go for everything, everywhere, all at once.

Yeah! beer beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Atlantis the Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

There are two distinct halves of the score - the first half is typical Disney stuff with some typical "mickey mousing" material such as in tracks like The Submarine. Though it also has great action/adventure tracks like Atlantis Destroyed, Leviathan Battle (3 minutes of NON STOP action shocked ) and The Journey. After the short action track Fireflies begins the second half of the score. Deeply mature and deliciously dark, this is pure JNH magic - powerful action tracks like Dogfight and Just Do It, suspenseful and awe inspiring music like Kida Transforms, The Crew's Conscience and The Crystal Chamber, sad like The King Dies and above all, the dramatic reprise of the main theme among ripping brass and speeding strings in Going After Rourke is totally mindblowing! A total winner, along with Dinosaur.

My Rating - *****
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote
    Miya wrote
    ...Walt Disney World: Millennium Celebration - Gavin Greenaway...

I think this is absolutely the best thing that's ever come out of MV/RC. You can tell it's produced by Zimmer because of the fake brass sound but you can also tell it's written by someone who really can compose proper music. The show itself is magnificent and several thousand people watch it every night and I have done on numerous occasions and you always hear loads of people being complimentary about the music. There are rumours that the show is on a ten-year contract and so will be replaced next year - if so, I hope Greenaway is asked to score its successor.

wow, I didn't know that. (I've never been to WDW) If he'll compose something again, it'd be great.

Have you ever heard BraviSEAmo? It's not as good as WDW's, but I enjoyed it (except the male chorus part... somehow I didn't like it)

NP: The Holiday - Hans Zimmer
    I play this very frequently, especially at breakfast or dinner time. Very comfortable! smile And I like to repeat the first and last track, because simply they're lovely.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Miya wrote

Have you ever heard BraviSEAmo? It's not as good as WDW's, but I enjoyed it (except the male chorus part... somehow I didn't like it)

Haven't heard that... is it from Tokyo DisneySea? Is it on CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote
    Miya wrote

Haven't heard that... is it from Tokyo DisneySea? Is it on CD?

It's by Greenaway. You can listen to some extracts here: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tds/ … index.html

And it's on CD: http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/disco_detail.php?id=496
    There is a new "Complete" version, which include songs from the show by Greenaway, but I haven't listened to it. (I just rented the older version, and I've never been to Tokyo DisneySea... dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Actually I haven't listened to this for a while...

NP: Tokyo DisneySea: BraviSEAmo! - Gavin Greenaway
    I forgot how good it is! Though the male choir part is very... MV-ish tongue and sounds like... fake (? I'm not sure if it's real or not), the rest is good.

Ah, I also forgot there is Mickey's chatting at the beginning rolleyes

I have some other Disney Park music by film composers (Silvestri's The Legend Of Mythica and Mancina's StormRider Suite)... I'll listen to it later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Angel is like listening to a Golden Age score updated for the 21st century. Everything about it is perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: Tokyo DisneySea: BraviSEAmo! - Gavin Greenaway
    I forgot how good it is! Though the male choir part is very... MV-ish tongue and sounds like... fake (? I'm not sure if it's real or not), the rest is good.

Ah, I also forgot there is Mickey's chatting at the beginning rolleyes

Yeah, it would be much better if there isn't all that "woooooooooow"s and "haahaahoohoo"s every 10 seconds or so tongue

NP: The Black Cauldron - Elmer Bernstein

Great stuff!! punk the Horned King has one badass villain theme!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

Finally got around to getting this one - with all the positive words I have heard about it I just had to pick it up when I found it cheap.
    Still only at the first track, so I can't say much about it yet - the heavy, acoustic feel of harp and low piano toward the end of "The Coral Atoll" is nice however.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Manwe wrote
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

Finally got around to getting this one - with all the positive words I have heard about it I just had to pick it up when I found it cheap.
    Still only at the first track, so I can't say much about it yet - the heavy, acoustic feel of harp and low piano toward the end of "The Coral Atoll" is nice however.

One of Hans' best scores till date. The chants are just unearthly... shocked