• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scribe wrote
    Angel is like listening to a Golden Age score updated for the 21st century. Everything about it is perfect.

Except the film... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    Manwe wrote
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

Finally got around to getting this one - with all the positive words I have heard about it I just had to pick it up when I found it cheap.
    Still only at the first track, so I can't say much about it yet - the heavy, acoustic feel of harp and low piano toward the end of "The Coral Atoll" is nice however.

The Zimmer score that even his fiercest critics seem to like. I think it's his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008 edited
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer & John Powell

Personally I divide my scores into two types - ones with depth and for deep listening (like LoTR) and the others for light (or HEAVY punk ) listening with "let ur hair down" feel (RC type scores) and this is one great score for Rockin' and Rollin' to, thanks to Powell's great percussion, along with great ethnic stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    "Journey to the Line" playing right now - lovely. smile
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Angel - Rombi
    I agree with Eric that this is one of the very best of 2007. smile

I listened to this score a few days ago and it is simply superb. I'd like to hear more of this in modern day film music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson Williams

Having watched the movie, I must say that IMHO the reviews this score got were a bit harsh. It fits very well with the movie and though it borrows a lot from LWW, it's very enjoyable. The new themes by HGW are great, and tracks like Miraz Crowned, Raid On The Castle, Battle at Aslan's How and Return of The Lion are terrific. A shame so much good material was missing. It deserves at least 4 stars out of five.

Exactly my thoughts, Ravi! For some reason, not too many people seem to think Miraz Crowned is that great, which I don't understand, as it sounds fantastic (especially the film score version)! It's got to be one of the top two or three tracks on the OST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson Williams

Having watched the movie, I must say that IMHO the reviews this score got were a bit harsh. It fits very well with the movie and though it borrows a lot from LWW, it's very enjoyable. The new themes by HGW are great, and tracks like Miraz Crowned, Raid On The Castle, Battle at Aslan's How and Return of The Lion are terrific. A shame so much good material was missing. It deserves at least 4 stars out of five.

Exactly my thoughts, Ravi! For some reason, not too many people seem to think Miraz Crowned is that great, which I don't understand, as it sounds fantastic (especially the film score version)! It's got to be one of the top two or three tracks on the OST.

Miraz Crowned is definitely one of the best villain tracks I've heard lately, along with Davy Jones from PoTC 2 and Durza from Eragon. I like most of the score from PC a lot smile

NP: Hunchback Of Notre Dame - Alan Menken

I just LOVE the choir! Tracks like Paris Burning, And He Shall Smite The Wicked and Sanctuary! are just epic. A real masterpiece by Menken!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Personally, I think the Revenge of the Sith score sounds much more Star Wars-like than The Phantom Menace score.

Why?

-Erik-

I'm not sure... Honestly, I feel like Revenge of the Sith is the only real Star Wars-like film in the prequel trilogy. Something just clicked with me when I first saw it, made me think George had finally succeeded in creating another true Star Wars film. Likewise, the score also beautifully accompanies the film, and matches perfectly. I don't know what it is about the score; maybe it's simply the use of The Clash of Lightsabers during the duel between Yoda and Sidious; maybe it's something else. Honestly, that's about all I can tell you. I am just overly pleased with how this one turned out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Personally, I think the Revenge of the Sith score sounds much more Star Wars-like than The Phantom Menace score.

Why?

-Erik-

I'm not sure... Honestly, I feel like Revenge of the Sith is the only real Star Wars-like film in the prequel trilogy. Something just clicked with me when I first saw it, made me think George had finally succeeded in creating another true Star Wars film. Likewise, the score also beautifully accompanies the film, and matches perfectly. I don't know what it is about the score; maybe it's simply the use of The Clash of Lightsabers during the duel between Yoda and Sidious; maybe it's something else. Honestly, that's about all I can tell you. I am just overly pleased with how this one turned out.

Well... ooooooookaaaaay. confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Why?

-Erik-

Well... ooooooookaaaaay. confused

-Erik-

Sorry, that wasn't a good answer at all that I gave you, but seriously, I just... like it better. confused I love the scores for the original trilogy, but I'm just not as much a fan of the scores for The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones being in the Star Wars saga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

I listened to this score a few days ago and it is simply superb. I'd like to hear more of this in modern day film music.

-Erik-

There is. Try Adrian Johnston and Mark McKenzie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Angel is like listening to a Golden Age score updated for the 21st century. Everything about it is perfect.

What's wrong with the film?
    It seems to me that music as good as that should be able to make practically ANY film at least watchable.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

I've never heard Johnston. I love McKenzie, but I don't think he quite comes to the level of Rombi. Maybe with the right budget he could? Most of his scores seem to sound like very small ensembles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

Addictive!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Firewall Alexandre Desplat

The only two things I really enjoyed about this film was of course Harrison Ford and this score. Desplat has a knack for keeping you interested in the less-than-interesting films with his very tense music. Quite brilliant film music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Opal Dream - Dario Marianelli
    WP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli
    This guy is a genius. He manages to strike a balance between understated functionality (there is no sweeping romantic melody in Atonement or P&P, for example, like there would be if someone like Horner ) and subtle-yet-rich beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Opal Dream - Dario Marianelli
    WP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli
    This guy is a genius. He manages to strike a balance between understated functionality (there is no sweeping romantic melody in Atonement or P&P, for example, like there would be if someone like Horner ) and subtle-yet-rich beauty.

Saying that though, I think there are few composers who can pull off overly sentimental music so stylishly as Horner. Sentimental music of this type tends to have a negative connotation, particularly on this board, but sometimes it's nice to listen to a score that purposefully tries to explode your heart... and Horner's the composer I think of first if I'm in the mood for an emotional heart attack. (For others, probably the older members, it's Delerue. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

You know what I mean, Demetris.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Sorry, that wasn't a good answer at all that I gave you, but seriously, I just... like it better. confused I love the scores for the original trilogy, but I'm just not as much a fan of the scores for The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones being in the Star Wars saga.

I wasn't questioning which score you like. That's your preference and your own personal opinion. What I was wondering is why you feel Sith sounds more like a Star Wars score than The Phantom Menace.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PHILIPPE ROMBI - Jeux D'Enfants

Elegant and lush, sweeping melodic and old-fashioned grand. Exquisite film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote

Elegant and lush, sweeping melodic and old-fashioned grand. Exquisite film scoring.

Wow, I was planning on listening to that next.

NP: Hancock - John Powell
    People have mentioned "Hollywood Blvd", but I can't believe no one is talking about "The Moon and the Superhero"...that's got to be one of the greatest uses of the Zimmer "power anthem" concept I have ever heard...and the most epic, heroic thing I've ever heard from John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Wow, I was planning on listening to that next.

People have mentioned "Hollywood Blvd", but I can't believe no one is talking about "The Moon and the Superhero"...that's got to be one of the greatest uses of the Zimmer "power anthem" concept I have ever heard...and the most epic, heroic thing I've ever heard from John Powell.

What is the specific point in the score as presented on CD (which track, i.e.) where the score shifts from tremendously boring to exciting, in your opinion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

I prefer Phoenix Rises from X-Men III. (Besides trying to make a point, I prefer most things over Hancock.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Scribe wrote

I prefer Phoenix Rises from X-Men III. (Besides trying to make a point, I prefer most things over Hancock.)

Agree. I´m still trying to undertstand why people seems to like Hancock (* * * 1/2 from Southall? shocked ) when I´m still highly disappointed by it (a couple of decent tracks aren´t enough for me). The few good things in Hancock are better, expanded and more developed in other efforts by Powell (x3, Bourne, Paycheck, etc etc).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    "Phoenix Rises" is what I would call epic and dark, as opposed to epic and heroic. "The Moon and the Superhero" is almost joyful in a way that most modern film music definitely isn't.

Demetris, I don't think any particular section of the CD is boring. I think there are some really boring individual cues, but they are mixed in with some pretty interesting mood music and small action pieces. It could have made a really tight 30-minute album, but I think the "boring" cues give it room to breath, and I like that.

On a lighter note... NP: Jeux d'Enfants for the third time ever and it is lovely. I actually prefer the English title, "Love Me If You Dare." I have all the track titles translated too. For some reason, some of these French films have English alternate titles that are completely different than the literal translation of the French title. Jeux d'Enfants = 'Childs Play' in english. Another one is "Un Hirondelle etc.." i forget the exact french title, but it translates to "One Swallow Brought Spring." But the English title is "A Girl From Paris." confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    "Phoenix Rises" is what I would call epic and dark, as opposed to epic and heroic. "The Moon and the Superhero" is almost joyful in a way that most modern film music definitely isn't.

It's still better though! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

On a lighter note... NP: Jeux d'Enfants for the third time ever and it is lovely. I actually prefer the English title, "Love Me If You Dare." I have all the track titles translated too. For some reason, some of these French films have English alternate titles that are completely different than the literal translation of the French title. Jeux d'Enfants = 'Childs Play' in english. Another one is "Un Hirondelle etc.." i forget the exact french title, but it translates to "One Swallow Brought Spring." But the English title is "A Girl From Paris." confused

HA! Wait 'till you hear the Greek translations:

NO RESERVATIONS (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481141/ translated in Greek, got this title: "Have you reserved your table?"

DON.T.JUST.DON.T.ASK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    Manwe wrote
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

Finally got around to getting this one - with all the positive words I have heard about it I just had to pick it up when I found it cheap.
    Still only at the first track, so I can't say much about it yet - the heavy, acoustic feel of harp and low piano toward the end of "The Coral Atoll" is nice however.

One of Hans' best scores till date. The chants are just unearthly... shocked

the chants are traditional songs and they are arranged by badelt.

I love the mystical vocals in the second track! by Zimmer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    HA! Wait 'till you hear the Greek translations:

NO RESERVATIONS (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481141/ translated in Greek, got this title: "Have you reserved your table?"

DON.T.JUST.DON.T.ASK

biggrin biggrin

I haven't been playing a lot recently, due to exams and the week after. But finally it's coming back, and Wall-E is a score I listened to the most recently. It's not as good as Finding Nemo (it's not as catchy) but again, it's full of lovely cues combined with oddities that, like Tom said, make you smile all the way. Fine and larger orchestrations than Finding Nemo. Perhaps not so unique as other Newman's but definitely one of the better listens this year.
    Kazoo
  2. Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Scribe wrote

I often don't like Ozon's films, but I found ANGEL to be very funny. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am