• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2008
    More classic score...

NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

One of the greatest choral film scores ever written, brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Backdraft - Hans Zimmer

One of the first groundbreaking orchestral soundtracks from Zimmer. Ironically he doesn't use a lot of synth in this breathtaking score, or it is to enhance the mood of a couple of tracks. You could say Backdraft sounds simple in its orchestration, but I love that simplicity, just great melodies and emotional moments that make my neck hair stand up... The finale is gorgeous!

Glued perfectly to the film, this is one I keep returning to for its immense power, which hasn't diminished over the years. Now where's that expanded release?

Rating: 5 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - Gabriel Yared

Really lovely smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GHOST STORY - Philippe Sarde

Good old fashoined style horror score, atmospherically spooky and even features organ. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - Gabriel Yared

Really lovely smile

Totally agree, one of the most beautifully romantic themes European film music has to showcase imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I started listening to Charles Gerhardt's sublime recording of The Empire Strikes back, and although it is just about one of the best albums money can buy, it's still no substitute for the real thing in all its 2 disc glory:

The Empire Strikes Back John Williams

No doubting it, this is my favourite score of all time. It's a mixture of childhood nostalgia, constant good memories of watching the film and of course the sheer masterful quality of the themes and structure.

To Williams and his heyday!
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    I started listening to Charles Gerhardt's sublime recording of The Empire Strikes back, and although it is just about one of the best albums money can buy, it's still no substitute for the real thing in all its 2 disc glory:

No doubting it, this is my favourite score of all time. It's a mixture of childhood nostalgia, constant good memories of watching the film and of course the sheer masterful quality of the themes and structure.

beer

Here here! beer
  2. While it's been a long time since I've listened to it, EMPIRE still holds the pride of place in my collection too. The creme-de-la-creme.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    While it's been a long time since I've listened to it, EMPIRE still holds the pride of place in my collection too. The creme-de-la-creme.

High time you gave it another listen!
    Doctor's orders. Signed in bad hand writing and everything.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

beer

That score has a lot of nostalgia for me too cool

NP : FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE - Ennio Morricone

And more nostalgia, this was something like the 3rd or 4th film score I ever bought ( on LP coupled with Fistful Of Dollars ) and it's never lost it's lustre. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lady In The Water - James Newton Howard

I'm liking it more with each listen. The Great Eatlon is fantastic!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Lady In The Water - James Newton Howard

I'm liking it more with each listen. The Great Eatlon is fantastic!! punk

Indeed, a great cue and score. smile

NP: The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

BOOM! A grand, colourful and testosterone-filled score from the maestro himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    NP: Eragon - Patrick Doyle

Highly enjoying action score this. It was a long time since I listened to it, and I didn't really remember that it was this good. I am enjoying the acoustic feel and weighty sound of it all. smile
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    NP Standard Operating Procedure (Danny Elfman)

Wow, what a great surprise from Elfman. As good as some people mentioned a few weeks ago. What a good year so far for Elfman, with this one and Hellboy 2. I´m impressed, I didn´t think I would say this....ever!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CATCH ME IF YOU CAN - John Williams

A great little score, JW in light footed touch mode and the inclusion of some great classic songs from Sinatra, Gilberto etc does it no harm whatsoever. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

A great little score, JW in light footed touch mode and the inclusion of some great classic songs from Sinatra, Gilberto etc does it no harm whatsoever. cool

The "Float" is an incredible cue. Not a lot of appreciation for that piece here on the boards. Then again, when you think of John Williams, not a lot here would instantly bring up Catch Me If You Can. It was a delightful little score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

Such an inspirational and touching score. Gorgeous theme.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Mulan (promo) - Jerry Goldsmith

Only playing the action cues today. Terrific!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

The "Float" is an incredible cue. Not a lot of appreciation for that piece here on the boards. Then again, when you think of John Williams, not a lot here would instantly bring up Catch Me If You Can. It was a delightful little score.

-Erik-

wave

(Delightful is a perfect word for this score. Not 'brilliant', 'masterful' or indeed 'powerful', but certainly 'delightful' and 'charming'.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing : Papillion

What a wonderful theme. An old Fashioned Goldsmith score.

NP: The Dark knight

brilliant.

What an improvement!!! I even like this thundruos 2 notes motif!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my top ten favourite scores. Absolutely magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Advent: One-Winged Angel; it's the only track I currently own from this album)

Really great choir stuff, and an incredible blend of rock and orchestra. punk biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Advent: One-Winged Angel; it's the only track I currently own from this album)

Really great choir stuff, and an incredible blend of rock and orchestra. punk biggrin

I LOVE, LOVE this track!! punk

NP: Cars - Randy Newman

Some of the coolest electric guitar stuff!! spin punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE - John Williams

One of the weaker Star Wars scores but it's still far better than the majority of scores out there these days. Of course, Duel of The Fates is one of Wiliams best compositions and I can listen to that particular track over and over and over! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

Wow, what a great surprise from Elfman. As good as some people mentioned a few weeks ago. What a good year so far for Elfman, with this one and Hellboy 2. I´m impressed, I didn´t think I would say this....ever!

Have you heard WANTED as well? That's pretty good too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

Have you heard WANTED as well? That's pretty good too.

I love Wanted. I wonder if there's any more action tracks that are unreleased as I can't help but want more!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem | BRIAN TYLER

The last 19 seconds of "Aliens Vs. Predator - Reqiuem" (the first track) are so over the top it just brings a smile to my face. biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote

The last 19 seconds of "Aliens Vs. Predator - Reqiuem" (the first track) are so over the top it just brings a smile to my face. biggrin punk

I really like the first 5 tracks. Then it becomes boring...

NP: You know what score im playing. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

I really like the first 5 tracks. Then it becomes boring...

NP: You know what score im playing. tongue

Pirates Of Theeeeeee? sleep tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE - John Williams

One of the weaker Star Wars scores but it's still far better than the majority of scores out there these days. Of course, Duel of The Fates is one of Wiliams best compositions and I can listen to that particular track over and over and over! cool

I agree! Not my favorite, but still good.